top speed, quarter mile

I guess the larger debate is whether or not the GOV should put speed limiters on vehicles.

I think sadly they should because we seem to be a nation where common sense is in short supply.

It's rather easy to conclude that YOU don't need a speed limiter on YOUR bike but do you really really want any fool who has the money to be able to buy a speed unlimited vehicle? You could debate the difference between 112 and 155 but lets just consider it to be significant. It's the difference between 0 and 43 mph and if you think of it that way it puts it into perspective.

They talk about the muscle cars of the mid to late sixties into the early seventies. We've got vehicles today which make them pail in comparison.

Clearly I fear some one needs to be in charge since good judgement is not a given.
 
The solution to everything... a benevolent government to make womb to tomb decisions for us because were too stupid to know what's good for us. Be patient, were getting there fast enough already.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
I guess the larger debate is whether or not the GOV should put speed limiters on vehicles.

I think sadly they should because we seem to be a nation where common sense is in short supply.

It's rather easy to conclude that YOU don't need a speed limiter on YOUR bike but do you really really want any fool who has the money to be able to buy a speed unlimited vehicle? You could debate the difference between 112 and 155 but lets just consider it to be significant. It's the difference between 0 and 43 mph and if you think of it that way it puts it into perspective.

They talk about the muscle cars of the mid to late sixties into the early seventies. We've got vehicles today which make them pail in comparison.

Clearly I fear some one needs to be in charge since good judgement is not a given.
well, the linear speed difference is one thing, but the energy difference goes as the square of the velocity (speed).. so roughly, the energy difference between a speed of 0 and 43 is 43 squared or 1844 (of whatever units)..

But the energy difference between 112 and 155 is difference between 155 squared and 112 squared or about 24025 - 12544 or 11481 that's about 9600 units MORE energy bound into the increase in speed from 112 to 155 as compared to 0 and 43..

or it's about 5 times the amount of energy increase..

so going from 112 to 155 is not at all comparable to going from 0 to 43.. there's a whole lot more 'stuffed in there'..
 
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys who wish for a non-limited CB1100 have ever been to the track to go fast?

Full disclosure: I have not been to a track day, nor have I raced. I've thought about a track day to learn more about the handling limits of my bikes, but not really interested in all out speed. Seems like it would be a good experience and nice knowledge to have.
 
Guth_imp said:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys who wish for a non-limited CB1100 have ever been to the track to go fast?

Full disclosure: I have not been to a track day, nor have I raced. I've thought about a track day to learn more about the handling limits of my bikes, but not really interested in all out speed. Seems like it would be a good experience and nice knowledge to have.
I don't ride fast at all but I don't want my horse chained while riding it
 
cbdtran_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys who wish for a non-limited CB1100 have ever been to the track to go fast?

Full disclosure: I have not been to a track day, nor have I raced. I've thought about a track day to learn more about the handling limits of my bikes, but not really interested in all out speed. Seems like it would be a good experience and nice knowledge to have.
I don't ride fast at all but I don't want my horse chained while riding it
If you don't ride fast then you would never experience the "chained" effect. Plus if nobody ever mentioned the Rev limiter you would not know it was chained...

pretend you didn't read it here?


Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
 
dBuster_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys who wish for a non-limited CB1100 have ever been to the track to go fast?

Full disclosure: I have not been to a track day, nor have I raced. I've thought about a track day to learn more about the handling limits of my bikes, but not really interested in all out speed. Seems like it would be a good experience and nice knowledge to have.
I don't ride fast at all but I don't want my horse chained while riding it
If you don't ride fast then you would never experience the "chained" effect. Plus if nobody ever mentioned the Rev limiter you would not know it was chained...

pretend you didn't read it here?


Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
If you don't ride fast then you would never experience the "chained" effect. Plus if nobody ever mentioned the Rev limiter you would not know it was chained...

pretend you didn't read it here?


Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
You are absolutely right. I learned about this limiter thing in this forum. Mind you the limiter has been implemented since the mid '70s according to Peter Lyon's article posted on the "top speed" thread (great read by the way). Never has the limiter been an issue for me, nor will it be. Speed was not the determining factor when purchasing this bike. What bothers me is not how fast I can go or not, is the word itself (LIMITER). I have to deal with enough limits in my daily life as it is. The bike is supposed to represent freedom, and now I have to ride freedom with a limit? I don't know, maybe they could have call it something else, like "Safety feature", "bosozoku effect", or "the nefario principle".
Anyways: I would like to thank all of you who have contribute to this topic, I have learned a great deal of information, and I respect everyones opinion.
 
There are always limits in life. This one just happens to be electronic. The tires are only rated to a certain speed. Since there are higher speed rated tires available, the tires we have are indeed themselves speed limiters.
 
Guth_imp said:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys who wish for a non-limited CB1100 have ever been to the track to go fast?

Full disclosure: I have not been to a track day, nor have I raced. I've thought about a track day to learn more about the handling limits of my bikes, but not really interested in all out speed. Seems like it would be a good experience and nice knowledge to have.
I used to race, both road courses and drag (just as a hobby). Although the limiter doesn't really bother me, if I wanted to use the CB11 at the track, the speed limiter would have to go. Most likely I'd just disconnect the speed sensor, since you don't really need a speedo at the track.
 
ronss_imp said:
is it true this bike only does 112 mph?????

what is the quarter mile speed this bike does in the quarter...

i had a honda magna, 2003, and i know that would go above 112....
What I've read in the motorcycle mags is the limiter, in combination with an oil cooler, were installed to protect the engine from overheating, particularly during hot days. Keep in mind the engine is air cooled and the Fed's forced Honda to set up an excessivley lean fuel mixture which will make for a hotter running engine because fuel is a coolant. The cure, I suspect would be installing something like a Power Commander, thus enrichening the fuel mixture, then (and only then) disconnecting the speed limiter somehow. When comparing our CB1100 to other bikes that aren't hobbled with (112 mph) limiters, are all water cooled and can more easily cope with lean fuel mixtures.

~ The Bee
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Not all. The Raider is air cooled and many reports approaching 140.
I think you'd agree that an in-line four is more of a challenge to cool than a vee-twin where the fins completely surround both cylinders. I can think of other air-cooled twin-cylinder bikes still in production as well (H-D, Guzzi), but Honda may just be trying to be conservative to keep the CB1100 reliable in all riding conditions - they have a reputation to maintain.

~ The Bee
 
well in the argument of controlling heat, they would have put a rev limiter on, not a top speed limiter.
Either way, big deal, buy another bike if you want to go faster.
 
dBuster_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys who wish for a non-limited CB1100 have ever been to the track to go fast?

Full disclosure: I have not been to a track day, nor have I raced. I've thought about a track day to learn more about the handling limits of my bikes, but not really interested in all out speed. Seems like it would be a good experience and nice knowledge to have.
I don't ride fast at all but I don't want my horse chained while riding it
If you don't ride fast then you would never experience the "chained" effect. Plus if nobody ever mentioned the Rev limiter you would not know it was chained...

pretend you didn't read it here?


Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
If you don't ride fast then you would never experience the "chained" effect. Plus if nobody ever mentioned the Rev limiter you would not know it was chained...

pretend you didn't read it here?


Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
if I ride "Man o' War." I wish no chain on his legs to limit how fast he can go. the CB is no "Man o' War" and put a chain on her is ridiculous. Japan with 100km/hr, they chain all their horses.

The HD Breakout with 65 HP can make 155 MHP
 
cbdtran_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys who wish for a non-limited CB1100 have ever been to the track to go fast?

Full disclosure: I have not been to a track day, nor have I raced. I've thought about a track day to learn more about the handling limits of my bikes, but not really interested in all out speed. Seems like it would be a good experience and nice knowledge to have.
I don't ride fast at all but I don't want my horse chained while riding it
If you don't ride fast then you would never experience the "chained" effect. Plus if nobody ever mentioned the Rev limiter you would not know it was chained...

pretend you didn't read it here?


Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
If you don't ride fast then you would never experience the "chained" effect. Plus if nobody ever mentioned the Rev limiter you would not know it was chained...

pretend you didn't read it here?


Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.1.4
if I ride "Man o' War." I wish no chain on his legs to limit how fast he can go. the CB is no "Man o' War" and put a chain on her is ridiculous. Japan with 100km/hr, they chain all their horses.

The HD Breakout with 65 HP can make 155 MHP

Not even close... Googling reviews I found the HD Breakout will do 115 mph..a whopping 3 mph more than the restricted CB..not bad for 18 grand.

tollbit-host.com
 
HikerToo_imp said:
65HP can not push a bike through the wind at 150MPH....
There are exceptions..Rollie Free's HRD Vincent Black Shadow run at Bonneville Salt Flats Sept 13, 1948 150.313 mph

Oops just looked it up, his HRD was rated at 70 hp so guess you are right lol ..a stock Vincent was rated at 45 horsepower
 
HD 80 inch did quite well for quite a few years with stock claimed 48. Hp..... Mine dyno'd at 44 hp. No rev limiter or speed limiter. Didn't need one, at some point it just wouldn't pull anymore. Top speed about 105?
 
Deanohh_imp said:
HD 80 inch did quite well for quite a few years with stock claimed 48. Hp..... Mine dyno'd at 44 hp. No rev limiter or speed limiter. Didn't need one, at some point it just wouldn't pull anymore. Top speed about 105?
That sounds about right for an unfaired bike of that hp. I used to have a stable of Kaw 750 parallel twins. In stock form they delivered 55 hp at the crank and just over 50 rwhp on the dyno. They topped out at just over 105.

My CB750 getss 64 hp at the rear wheel and tops out at 127.
 
Back
Top