Winter thread...how long?

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
How about a winter-time thread since it's a bit slow around here...

When did you buy your current CB1100? Have you owned more than 1?  New...used...miles / kilometers...and maybe the earliest photo you have of your CB1100?  

I bought my 2017ex in Feb of 2018.  It was a new left-over on sale and I drove 4 hours to a dealer east of Seattle to pickup it home.  It has just under 31k miles.

kWTbiyV.jpg
 
I also had a 2014 Standard; I also bought it on sale as a left over, back in Jan of 2015.  I owned it 2.5 years and traded it in for a Triumph Speed Twin. It had around 14k miles when I let it go.

jYub7ES.png


Would love to hear stories of your CB1100 acquisition.
 
In December 2010, after an absence of many years, I decided to get back into motorcycling. I bought a second-hand Honda Shadow.


A couple of days later I went to the Honda dealer to buy a jacket and was struck by a white 4-cylinder bike in the showroom. It must have been one of the first CB1100s to come to Australia. It was almost the bike I'd wanted in my late teens when the CB500-4 seemed the bike for me. This new-fangled version was missing the 4 exhaust pipes a proper bike would have had. But it was still lovely. The salesperson encouraged me to take it for a ride. I resisted knowing I'd just want it. It was also a great deal more than I was prepared to pay for a bike before I was sure I would stick with riding again. So I lusted but walked away.

Over the next couple of years I saw very few of them about, but every time I did see one, I was again struck by how attractive I found them.

In July 2013 a mate came to stay and we went on a motorcycle rally for the day. We got to talking about bikes and the CB1100 specifically and he told me that, if it was the bike I really wanted, I should get one. If I didn't I'd regret it. (This from a bloke who changes his underpants less frequently than he buys new bikes) My wife was not impressed, but eventually she agreed. Nothing happened as we went overseas to visit family.

After we returned, I got down to hunting for a CB1100. There were almost none for sale, but I did find a lightly-used 2011 model with 2,091 kilometers on the clock at a dealer in Brisbane. it was much more reasonably priced than than the new one I'd lusted after in 2010.

On 23 September 2012 I went to Brisbane, test rode it and bought it. They let me ride it to the bank to pick up the bank cheque I used to pay for it. I took this photo at a service station a few kilometers north of the dealer. I can say with some confidence that it's never been that clean again.

[attachment=960]

I can also say with confidence that 12 years and 160,000 plus kilometers later, I'm still delighted to own it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0368.webp
    IMG_0368.webp
    1 MB · Views: 101
I bought my 2014 CB1100 DLX in July of this year, after a long time deliberating on what motorcycle to get.  This forum had much to do with my decision.  I watched the ads for many weeks and was prepared to "fly-and-ride" if necessary.  In fact, I was about three days away from flying from MD to OH to fetch a high-mileage DLX when a low-mileage bike showed up on FB marketplace, within a two-hour drive.  I bought it the next day and trailered it home.

Over the next few days, my wife repeatedly found me in the garage with the bike and referred to it as my mistress.  I told her it wasn't funny and she shouldn't say such things.  The next day she caught me outside taking glamour shots of the bike.  It had about 4600 miles when I bought it, and it now has about 6600.


[attachment=965]
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250731_114923313-EDIT.webp
    PXL_20250731_114923313-EDIT.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 87
Thread starter
Lunchbag said:
... Over the next few days, my wife repeatedly found me in the garage with the bike and referred to it as my mistress.  I told her it wasn't funny and she shouldn't say such things.  The next day she caught me outside taking glamour shots of the bike. ...

:biker: ...  :heart: ...  :angel: ...  :cool:
 
Ok I’ll play. When the CB1100 came out in 2013 here in the US, I thought it was gorgeous. But, I had just bought a 2007 R1200R in like-new condition from a local BMW dealer with just 1700 miles on it. My second bike was a ‘93 Nighthawk 750 that I had restored to like-new condition.
I would sell the Nighthawk in late 2014 for the ‘12 Bonneville I still own.

Fast forward to April 2019. The BMW had 26k miles and was springing one electronic gremlin after another. Repeated fuel gauge issues. ABS problems. I loved it, but it became more aggravating to silently pray each time I turned the key that everything would work. And being a BMW, a malfunction like the ABS system didn’t just mean that the ABS didn’t work, it also meant the bike had no brake light. A broken fuel gauge also meant that warnings on the dashboard would constantly nag for attention.

I decided that it was time to let the R1200R go for something simpler and more reliable. I was shopping NC750X, but heard they were boring. FZ09s were high on my list, but they were out of my budget and most had modifications I didn’t care for.

Then, cruising Craig’s List while Mrs. G and I were waiting for our dinner in a Culver City Indian restaurant, I saw a ‘13 CB1100 in Bellflower with 1700 miles, described as like-new. I thought about how much I loved the first one I had seen, and that I missed that inline four on my Nighthawk. This was like a bigger, classier Nighthawk, sort of.

I showed the listing to Mrs., who said she knew how frustrated I had become with the BMW, particularly as the dealer had just quoted me $2800 to sort out the ABS once and for all. She said that as long as I thought I could get something decent for the BMW; I should call the guy about the CB1100, and that it looked pretty.

I arranged to see the Honda the next day, on a Sunday morning. Mrs. and I looked at it, and I was smitten. The bike lived in his garage next to his workout bench, and mostly he just admired it when he spent time in the garage. His wife however, wanted her parking space back, and as he never rode it, there was some clear pressure on him to sell it.

We negotiated a price, but being a Sunday, I couldn’t access the cash as the bank was closed. Also, I was about to leave for a week-long business trip. He agreed to hold the bike for me with a check for a deposit.

I left, with thoughts of the CB swirling in my head. I knew I would need things for it, like a luggage rack. I started searching online for information about the bike, and found this forum. I started asking the experts here for advice, and got a warm welcome.

As soon as my plane landed the following Monday, Mrs. G picked me up after packing some riding gear in the car for me. We headed to the bank, got the cash, and I informed the owner that we were on our way.

He and I had kept in touch while I was gone and all seemed fine. When we arrived to consummate the deal the bike was in his driveway ready to go, however, he said he was having second thoughts about selling. As he said this, his wife emerged from the house and said, glaring at him, that the bike was indeed for sale.

Looking a bit glum, he said that I should test ride it, that maybe I would not like it. I went around his neighborhood and although a bit heavier and smoother it did remind me of the Nighthawk. I loved it and went back to do the paperwork. He said “You were only gone a few minutes, that wasn’t enough time. Go take it on the freeway. You really won’t like it on the freeway.” I assured him that I was satisfied with it, but to appease him, I went out for a longer test ride and came back.

While I was gone, Mrs. G had been sharing pleasant conversation with the owner’s wife. We did the paperwork, payment was made, hands were shaken, and Mrs. followed me home. When I parked, the owner had texted me that if I decided on the way home that I didn’t like it; he’d take it back and refund my payment. I assured him that I was happy with it and that I’d take good care of it.

The next day, I listed the BMW for sale, and two days later, I sold it for the same price I had just paid for the CB1100. I was upfront about the ABS. The buyer said he wasn’t concerned. My bike had a one-year-only optional paint scheme , he was a collector looking for that exact bike and it would be parked in his collection. Cleanliness was his only consideration. Fine by me! (Coincidentally I saw that bike last year at a Cars and Coffee in San Clemente. Still looked as clean as the day i sold it. I hovered around it for a while but the owner didn’t come around. I’d love to know if he’s still the owner and if it has been fixed or if it’s riding around with no brake lights)

I sent the original owner of my CB1100 pictures of it for a while to show him it was well cared for. Never did get a reply. She now has around 14,000 miles and is the queen of my collection.
 
When I was 15 years old, I was homeless. But I did own a motorcycle. That Yamaha SR250 did far more than provide transportation. It centered me during a difficult time.

When I graduated from the University years later, the motorcycle was left behind. I worked as a management consultant and travelled extensively, much of it internationally. I was grateful for the opportunity and the means to provide for my family, but I felt the absence of a motorcycle.

In 2010, I managed to refocus my professional life in the United States and announced a motorcycle would be joining the family soon. Like Cormanus, I purchased a used Honda Shadow and spent five years making that motorcycle my own. In 2023, my nephew faced some life challenges that resonated with me. I gave him my motorcycle in hopes that he could use it to find his way home. Here is that motorcycle before I shipped it to him:

cHXNIf2.jpg


I immediately began looking for another motorcycle. I committed to myself that it would be the last motorcycle I would ever own. I saw a 2013 CB1100 in a local motorcycle shop, which I almost bought on the spot:

dWkfzyU.jpg


kiOGWWq.jpg


But the voice in my head told me it was not my motorcycle, but it was a 1st cousin.  :)

I researched the CB1100 product line. When I saw the 2017 CB1100EX, I knew that was the one. I spent a year looking, and in July 2024, I saw a slightly modified CB1100EX for sale in Sacramento with 6,800 miles on the clock. I contacted the consignment dealer, made an offer, had it accepted, and wired the money. I know it sounds insane that I would purchase a motorcycle without even a test drive, but I knew to my very core that was the motorcycle I was meant to own.

See the YouTube listing my search query found:


I took an Uber to pick up the motorcycle. Here is the first picture I took when I returned from Sacramento.

6nsQmrE.jpg


Soon after, I found myself in Hospital, recovering from reconstructive surgery. The CB1100EX and the good Members of this Forum were as important to my recovery as the doctors, nurses, and therapists who worked so hard to put me back together.

I am still recovering and continue to rely heavily on my CB1100EX and this Forum to remain centered and positive. With each passing month, I try to make the motorcycle mine while also preparing it also for its next owner. Like me, the CB1100EX is a work in progress. :hilarious:

See a couple of recent pictures:

BLayLbY.jpeg


gB4Jz1Z.jpg


Have a wonderful New Year. The best is yet to come. David
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60 said:
...When I parked, the owner had texted me that if I decided on the way home that I didn’t like it; he’d take it back and refund my payment. I assured him that I was happy with it and that I’d take good care of it....

Awesome story, Gone.  Now I remember a few of the details, in particular the owner's reluctance at selling. I can feel a little of his pain, having sold my W800 recently.  Not that my wife pressured me into selling--she's actually very understanding and thinks it's good for me to have a passion for motorcycles--but for me I simply don't want to take care of 4 bikes (or more).  I don't like having objects that just sit there and do nothing and have found that 3 bikes is already a challenge to ride them all.  Both she and I are pretty quick at letting go of things if they are never or seldomly used.  It's amazing that you found a buyer for the BMW with its mechanical issues.  Sounds like the perfect buyer came along at the right time.  

I might have an opportunity to ride to San Diego this summer to visit my daughter and take care of her cat again!  This time it would be on the CB1100.  If it works, we'll have to do a ride.


rdprdp01 said:
... I purchased a used Honda Shadow...

... When I saw the 2017 CB1100EX, I knew that was the one. ...
Soon after, I found myself in Hospital, recovering from reconstructive surgery. The CB1100EX and the good Members of this Forum were as important to my recovery as the doctors, nurses, and therapists who worked so hard to put me back together.
...
Have a wonderful New Year. The best is yet to come. David

That Shadow is in every bit amazing shape as is your CB1100ex.  Glad you found your CB1100...if you hadn't, there's a good chance that we have no current forum.

:exclamation: 

Who new the significance of you giving your brother the Shadow which would lead you to buying a CB1100, which allowed this forum to take shape, built on the labor of Guth's original forum.   And may you also have a blessed New Year!

Great strories, folks.  Would love to hear more if you are inclined.
 
Gentlemen, I see a distinct pattern developing. Guess what my first bike was? Yup.

When I turned 40, Mrs. G asked me if I wanted anything really special to mark the occasion. I blurted out "A motorcycle" to get a rise out of her, but she said "Well, you do love to conquer mechanical objects", and she gave me an MSF basic rider course as my present. My MSF bike was a Rebel 250, and I took to it like a duck to water. I thought my first bike should be similar to the Rebel, but I knew I needed freeway capability. So, its bigger brother the Shadow 750 seemed logical. 

I found a very clean 2006 model, and rode it for a year. It was a great starter bike, and when I became comfortable with freeway traffic, I  found its upper limits to be a bit lacking, and graduated to a VTX1300. I put over 20k on that bike and was happy with it, until I tried a BMW R1200GS, and realized that bikes that could turn and stop, as well as travel in a straight line had their advantages! The VTX gave way to a string of naked standards before I landed on the R1200R that eventually resulted in my abhorrence of electronic wizardry, unless it was produced by Honda.

Here's my Shadow
[attachment=966]

Here's one of the first pictures I have of my CB1100. I had a luggage rack and Givi mount plate on order during the week I was travelling for work and was anxiously anticipating picking up the bike when I got home. The Givi V47 case looked more at home on the BMW from an aesthetic standpoint, but served me well to take my gear to the Petersen on weekends (it now looks perfect on the NC). Here's a picture on the roof of the museum the first time I rode it there.
[attachment=967]


Pdedse, glad to hear that you might be coming down here again! Funny, Mrs. G was observing me farkling the NC the other day in the garage, and asked "So, if the idea of buying this bike is to go longer distances more comfortably, it will go to Oregon, won't it?"
 

Attachments

  • PICT2266.webp
    PICT2266.webp
    745.3 KB · Views: 82
  • thumbnail_IMG_8822.webp
    thumbnail_IMG_8822.webp
    57.3 KB · Views: 80
Thread starter
Gone in 60 said:
...Pdedse, glad to hear that you might be coming down here again! Funny, Mrs. G was observing me farkling the NC the other day in the garage, and asked "So, if the idea of buying this bike is to go longer distances more comfortably, it will go to Oregon, won't it?"

Bless her heart!

If there's a will, there's a...

1) CB1100, or a 
2) Triumph, or a 
3) NC750
4) heck, there's even an orange RE Interceptor 650 

:cool:
 
[quote="pdedse" pid='272271' dateline='1766924173']
...When I parked, the owner had texted me that if I decided on the way home that I didn’t like it; he’d take it back and refund my payment. I assured him that I was happy with it and that I’d take good care of it....
[/QUOTE]

pdedse,

I lease a "Corporate House" in the East Bay to help our Team Members avoid the dreariness of a hotel when they travel from out of state. You are welcome to spend a few nights there if you want to take a break. I also have a network of AirBNBs that have been validated by Staff and Family who have visited previously. The East Bay looks like a nice mid-point for the trip to and from Portland. If you would like to explore NorCal with me or like some company on a trip to SoCal, I would be delighted. Please reach out if any of the offers spark your interest when the time is right. Regardless if I can tag along or not, we all look forward to your trip report. Best in 2026. David
 
Thread starter
rdprdp01 said:
pdedse said:
...When I parked, the owner had texted me that if I decided on the way home that I didn’t like it; he’d take it back and refund my payment. I assured him that I was happy with it and that I’d take good care of it....

pdedse,

I lease a "Corporate House" in the East Bay to help our Team Members avoid the dreariness of a hotel when they travel from out of state. You are welcome to spend a few nights there if you want to take a break. I also have a network of AirBNBs that have been validated by Staff and Family who have visited previously. The East Bay looks like a nice mid-point for the trip to and from Portland. If you would like to explore NorCal with me or like some company on a trip to SoCal, I would be delighted. Please reach out if any of the offers spark your interest when the time is right. Regardless if I can tag along or not, we all look forward to your trip report. Best in 2026. David

Thanks so much for the kind offer, David.  I'll def. keep this in mind as I would love to ride with you.  

I was telling Gone via txt that my daughter who lives in San Diego is visiting for Christmas and we got to talking about summer plans.  Hers may include a conference in London during July, and when she travels she always needs help with her cat.  She studies at UCSD in La Jolla and lives just minutes from the beach, so it's a great place to visit.  I met Gone on my way there in summer of 2022 when I rode my RE INT650 to watch daughter's cat for a couple of weeks. 

We met up for lunch on my way to SD
IP8Si8H.jpg


YR7abP7.jpg


Gone still has his, but mine is... gone.  

Kdz5xLi.jpg


MqvStUt.jpg


This is in the dream stage right now, but if it materializes, I'll be on the CB1100.
 
[quote="pdedse" pid='272279' dateline='1766977157']
I rode my RE INT650 to watch daughter's cat for a couple of weeks. 

We met up for lunch on my way to SD
IP8Si8H.jpg


YR7abP7.jpg


Gone still has his, but mine is... gone.  
[/QUOTE]

:rofl:
 
Ok, after reading all the previous posts, I just had to add mine:

The first time I saw a CB1100 in person was at the moto GP at Laguna Seca Raceway, in Monterey Ca., in 2013. It was on display at the Honda exhibit. I fell in love with this bike immediately, but there were just a few items that I didn't like about it that I said "If Honda makes these changes to this bike next year, then I will buy one". These changes were:

1. Put in a six-speed transmission.
2. Remove the black paint from the engine, and make it all silver, like the original CB750.
3. Put a four-into-four exhaust on it - like the original.
4. Put spoked rims on it.
5. Replace the silver side cover with with a color that matched the tank.

I followed the internet closely, waiting for the 2014 models to come out. Low and behold, Honda had made 3 1/2 of the 5 changes that i wanted: 6-speed transmission, all silver engine, red, matching side covers, and a 4 into 2 exhaust (I count this as a half change). 3 1/2 changes that I wanted out of 5 was close enough, and I put a deposit on one before ever seeing one. I am sure I am one of the first owners, if not the first, of a 2014 CB1100 Deluxe in San Diego. 

Over the years I have made a few changes to my bike to personalize it like adding a Dart windscreen, Ohlins shocks, luggage rack and removable Givi trunk, Corbin seat, engine guards, a year 2013 CB1100 left-hand side handlebar switch assembly, and stock, 2017 CB1100 forks with rubber fork gaiters. 

After 40,000 miles the only issue I have had with my bike was the Idle Air Control Valve (high / low idling, and stalling), and chrome chipping off one of the fork tubes (this is why I replaced the forks with the upgraded 2017 model forks). It still runs and looks as good as new, and I'll never sell it. I love this bike, and use it for running local errands (the trunk works great), and the occasional Sunday afternoon ride my wife (as a passenger). It's not my all-time favorite bike (I presently own 8 bikes, and my 1998 Honda VFR800 is my all-time favorite), but it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. The transmission has excessive slop compared to other bikes that I own, and it goes through tires quickly, especially front tires (I don't ride this bike hard, and most of my miles are 2-lane, back roads and freeways).
 
Around 2,000 a friend and I were at a Rider Rally in (I believe) Kentucky and had demo'd an assortment of motorcycles a Shadow, DR650, Sportster 883, and a couple others. Late afternoon with just enough time for one more demo we went back to see what Honda had available. Most of the "desirable bikes" were spoken for but there were 2 CB750 Nighthawks so we signed up for them.
We both came away very impressed with just how well those UJM bikes worked. They were smooth, powerful enough, comfortable, shifted like butter, handled and rode nicely, and switch gear and controls felt high quality.

I never got that bike out of my mind and around 12 years later when I stumbled on a low mileage 2000 Nighthawk 750 I bought it. I rode that motorcycle for a few years and about the only thing I wished it had was just a bit more power and FI would be nice.

By this time (2016) I had eyed the CB1100 and actually rode my Nighthawk to the dealer with the intent of trading it on a 2014 CB1100 leftover that they had on the floor. But after sitting on it and my Nighthawk back and forth and pondering,  the CB1100 would have the power and FI, but just wasn't as roomy, seat not as comfortable, it had a smaller tank, didn't have self adjusting valves, and would cost a good bit more than my Nighthawk was worth, so I rode back home on the Nighthawk. After a couple more years I needed to sell something as I was out of room, was getting a little bored with the Nighthawk, and it was using a little oil, so I sold it.

Well after a few years I missed having a UJM and started rethinking a CB1100. I could always put on an aftermarket seat and pegs which'd solve the comfort issues I had with it so I started searching the classifieds. I wanted the overdrive 6th gear so I focused on 2014+ and eventually found a 2014 with 2,000 miles about 3 hours away.

The owner in his 20's bought the bike from the original owner (who aged out of riding) with the intent of riding with his father and his father's friends. It was his first motorcycle and my impression was he never felt comfortable so after a few rides it just sat in his garage until his wife finally convinced him to sell it. The original rear tire had plenty of tread but oddly the front was bald in areas and badly cupped. They needed replaced just from age anyway. It had been dropped twice in his driveway backing it out so there were light scratches on the bottom of stator and clutch covers, and it was covered in dust like it hadn't been washed in years. But the gas smelled ok and no moisture or rust in the tank. So I bought it paying a little too much, $5,500 IIRC. I had $6,100 in it after replacing the two covers and tires.

The first image I have is it on the lift after I had cleaned it and was changing oil, brake and clutch fluid, and detailing it but before I replaced the covers, tires, and added a Corbin seat, and foot pegs. The rear tire had 22 and the front only 13 psi, no wonder it was cupped and worn.



I ride this motorcycle mostly local, around northern WV, western MD, and SW PA. I did take it to the CB1100 gathering in Bluefield a couple years back. Being old myself I like these kind of motorcycles and it's one of 3 "retro bikes" I enjoy, the other two being a 2008 Sportster XL1200R and BMW R100R.
 
Thread starter
A great story, Ollie.  For me it's neat to hear how owners came across the CB1100, a bike that didn't receive a lot of fanfare. 

When I get comments at a gas station that begin with "I had me one of those back in the day..." or something similar, I can't really relate.  Guys who look whistfully at my '17ex always seem to be about 10 years older than me.  I'm 62 at present, and I think I was just a few years behind the UJM era as far as wanting / noticing motorcycles.  When I first started thinking of buying a motorcycle, I remember gathering brochures of one bike in particular: the Honda XR250, must haven been in '79 or '80 right when they first came out.  I would go to the dealership and ask for brochures and drool over the bike.  I couldn't understand why my older brothers were interested in street bikes, when you could have a bike that would ride trails and street.  But I never had the money to buy one, and settled for a '78 green Kawasaki KLE250 2 stroke purchased in '82 for $800 and owned for just 6 months--needed money to go to college.  And college led me to study abroad programs and living in other countries where I had less money and owning motorcycles simply wasn't on my radar.

So zero bikes till 2003, at which time there was a show on Discovery--likely everybody has seen episodes of Orange County Choppers.  It got me interested and there was only one bike I was interested in: a 2004 Sportster.  This time I had the funds.  In 2013, I was on the other end of a study abroad program as the leader of one in Costa Rica.  I needed transportation and I bought the cheapest, decent bike I could: a '13 Honda CGL125, which has a certain "classic" look to it, albeit...tiny.  But I loved it.

Yep, the CGL125 laid the groundwork for me to become interested in "the look", a more retro / classic look.  It had a kickstarter that you could turn over with your hand it was so easy.  When I got back to the U.S. I wanted a classic, kick-start bike.  A couple of Yamaha XS650s cured me of that. Then I saw a CB1100 and it just "looked" right.  Maybe it brought up memories of motorcycles that my brothers had or talked about, I can't be sure. 

23 years later and I just bought a green Kawasaki KLX300...something about it hearkens back to a day when I was 18 and eating up the country roads outside of Topeka, Kansas I guess.  I feel like I've come full circle!  I have a classic-looking bike that maybe reminds me of what was out there in the early '70s, yet too young to really appreciate them, and another that could be the great grandchild of the first bike I ever owned.
 
Cool stories everyone so far, enjoyed reading each one :)

As of 2026 this will be my third year on two wheels besides my younger days being dominated by offroad ATVs and dirtbikes. (I am 28 currently)
In spring of 2024 I fixed a trailer for my dads friend, and he had a 84' Honda Magna 700 with 50k miles that had transmission issues and had been sitting for the past 10+ years that he would give me. I didn't know anything about motorcycles at the time, no idea what a UJM was, only thought motorcycles were loud Harleys and they never appealed to me. Well, the Magna got me excited, got it running and discovered yes, the transmission is toast (Somewhat common issue for that bike). I ended up finding an exact copy Magna about 4 hours away that had been sitting since the 80s with 6000 miles on it. Cost me $500 and a roadtrip. Engine was seized but didn't take much to free it up, then went through and replaced every rubber component, fuel lines  etc, the whole 9 yards. Learned a lot and found that I really liked wrenching on a motorcycle (Father was a mechanic, lucky to learn lots from him). It was great having a parts bike which I called my local NAPA. Need a part? Go to the other end of the barn and rob it lol.
Anyways, got that bike road ready by May of 2024 and put 6000 trouble-free miles on it and loved riding every day. Can't believe I hadn't found the joy of motorcycling earlier. And as I rode, my days were spent learning about all the other cool vintage bikes and different ideas that were tried through the years. Me being an engine guy, I thought the air cooled CB750s and CBX was so cool just because of the big engine and pipes sitting front and center. I thought the Magna would be all I needed forever, but my dads friend said I would outgrow it and keep my eyes open for something else. Started looking on marketplace and saw the CB1100.

WOWZA....

Everything I wanted, a super sexy bike, fuel injection and modern enhancements (Really want to do some long trips, a more modern bike was needed for that IMO). Joined this forum in September of 2024 and learned a lot about this bike. October 4th, 2024 (My birthday) my dad and I drove across the state to a dealer that had a CB1100 on a trade in. Came with repair manual, top and side saddle bags, arrow slip on, heated grips, aftermarket lighting (back to stock now). I had to take a small loan out to pay for it, but I was so in love it was worth it. Drove it home that day and loved the entire ride. Drove it as much as I could that year before the snow fell, then did all the maintenance to make sure it was up to specs for the next year. Absolutely love this bike, and I am hoping history doesn't repeat itself when I say this bike will be with me forever... sorry ol' Magna, you'll still be the first bike for me but the CB1100 is the best bike for me.

Here is the progression of the CB1100, from day one till this year.
 

Attachments

  • cb 22.webp
    cb 22.webp
    339.5 KB · Views: 77
  • cb 19.webp
    cb 19.webp
    550.9 KB · Views: 77
  • cb 17.webp
    cb 17.webp
    176.4 KB · Views: 77
  • CB 3.webp
    CB 3.webp
    122.9 KB · Views: 77
  • CB 1.webp
    CB 1.webp
    130.1 KB · Views: 77
  • cb rainbow.webp
    cb rainbow.webp
    439.4 KB · Views: 77
[quote="pdedse" pid='272485' dateline='1768322182']
A great story, Ollie.  For me it's neat to hear how owners came across the CB1100, a bike that didn't receive a lot of fanfare. 

When I get comments at a gas station that begin with "I had me one of those back in the day..." or something similar, I can't really relate.  Guys who look whistfully at my '17ex always seem to be about 10 years older than me.  I'm 62 at present, and I think I was just a few years behind the UJM era as far as wanting / noticing motorcycles.  When I first started thinking of buying a motorcycle, I remember gathering brochures of one bike in particular: the Honda XR250, must haven been in '79 or '80 right when they first came out.  I would go to the dealership and ask for brochures and drool over the bike.  I couldn't understand why my older brothers were interested in street bikes, when you could have a bike that would ride trails and street.....


23 years later and I just bought a green Kawasaki KLX300...something about it hearkens back to a day when I was 18 and eating up the country roads outside of Topeka, Kansas I guess.  I feel like I've come full circle! 
[/QUOTE]

It seems like there were a lot of initial buyers that been anticipating the CB1100 coming to the US. I know one of my friends was and when it was announced immediately gave his deposit. After his came in the dealer received one more for the year and it was pre-sold when it came in so early on the CB1100 was a hot item when brought over in limited numbers.

Yeah I get the occasional person that tells me of the CB750 they had back in the 1970's as they look over my CB1100.
In addition to the Nighthawk, I had a 1974 CB750 back in 1975. My best friend traded his CB350 on it then less than a year later needed money to buy an engagement ring and asked if I'd be interested in buying the bike which was like new, so I did. After 12 years of marriage and 3 children his wife decided she wanted a divorce, LOL he often complains about selling that bike to fund the engagement ring!

Your interest in an XR250 as a first bike hits a chord with me. I'm about 10 years older than you and was looking to buy my first motorcycle in 1972. All my friends had Honda CB350's but, like you, I wanted a bike that would be easy to learn on and also be fun on dirt roads so I bought a new XL250. When riding with my friends we'd take turns leading and sometimes I couldn't stay with them up hills at 65+ mph on highways. But when it came time for me to lead I always ended up finding a broken up road with potholes and when they slowed down banging on all the rough places I just kept riding along at 50 mph. :)

I now have a Yamaha XT250 and often when riding it around I think back to 1972 and that XL250.
 
Thread starter
The XT250 seems to be a very sold bike and I hear only positive comments about it.
 
IMO the XL250's shortcoming is the suspension which I found a little harsh over say a rocky road. I re-did mine with parts from Cogent which made quite an improvement.

What it has going for it is lots of ground clearance yet a low seat, light at 290#, wide ratio 5-speed, lots of steering lock, and 70mpg with a decent size fuel tank. Its 2V FI engine is simple, air cooled, and makes good torque down low. The combination of these attributes make for an ideal little street legal trail bike.
 
Back
Top