Top Speed, 125MPH?

Lol 70 s as fast as I've seen the need to go so far.
 
I was coming down an onramp to an empty 6 lane highway the other day and decided to goose the throttle a bit. It shot from 50 mph to 105 mph in about 4 seconds and I was still in 4th gear. I knocked off at that point just in case the law was around.

The CB11 should easily do 125 mph. My CB750 topped out at 127 mph (measured by GPS), but it required lying low on the tank.
 
Well I guess I'll never know. I'm afraid to go that fast on a motorcycle. My real name is not Freddie Spencer...
 
Once the bike is broken in, I'll take it up to 120 under the right conditions as long as the bike behaves - which I'm pretty sure it will. But I'll only stay there for a few hundred yards and just to see how it handles (and for so-called "bragging rights".

Back when I was in the Navy, I used to push my old GS1000 up past 130 indicated on the Escambia Bay Causeway. The causeway is 2 miles long and prefectly straight. At that speed the front end would start to get really light and if the bike hit a decent bump, the bars would start shaking.

On the other hand when I took my GSXF-650F up past 120 indicated it felt as solid and confident as it did at 80. I did that speed once on a completely open stretch of new interstate.

I do not advocate high speed riding, normally obey all laws, and I urge fellow riders to do so too. I cringe when I see sportsbike crazies weaving in and out of traffic on busy interstates doing twice the speed limit, and I'm reminded of the saying about bold pilots and old pilots.
 
Ive got a little over 1200 miles on mine. Thinking about this thread tonight on my ride I ran it up to 6 K rpms and 80 mph. Can't see needing that speed very often.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ive got a little over 1200 miles on mine. Thinking about this thread tonight on my ride I ran it up to 6 K rpms and 80 mph. Can't see needing that speed very often.
Try driving in bay are traffic and try and do anything close to the speed limit when it's not rush hour and you'll get run over. 75 is the norm and at that speed you still get passed regularly like you were going backwards.

It's really stupid. I just want to relax on my way home from work and it's just not possible.
 
Randy B_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Ive got a little over 1200 miles on mine. Thinking about this thread tonight on my ride I ran it up to 6 K rpms and 80 mph. Can't see needing that speed very often.
Try driving in bay are traffic and try and do anything close to the speed limit when it's not rush hour and you'll get run over. 75 is the norm and at that speed you still get passed regularly like you were going backwards.

It's really stupid. I just want to relax on my way home from work and it's just not possible.
Try driving in bay are traffic and try and do anything close to the speed limit when it's not rush hour and you'll get run over. 75 is the norm and at that speed you still get passed regularly like you were going backwards.

It's really stupid. I just want to relax on my way home from work and it's just not possible.

Yea..no thanks. I hate crowds and crowds of cars going either really fast or really slow.
 
Thread starter
justinrhenry_imp said:
I think my max has been a little over 80. It's definitely not a bike that asks to be ridden fast.
Yep, so far this weekend, I've just been putzing around on mine enjoying it, not sure if its because I had not ridden for a few years or, or because I'm breaking it in, or because its not a Ninja, only time will tell. I know on my Ninja, just going to get a loaf of bread I would break 100mph every time, and the 7-Eleven was just down the street !
 
If you get caught up around the big rigs doing that erratic 65- 80 MPH thing you pretty much have to hit the mid 80's to get by them and out of their blind spot as quickly as possible. I may have touched 90 under that circumstance but that would be it. The good news is that the bike has plenty of punch left at 75-80MPH and still feels well planted.

As for going any faster, I'm not worried about killing myself, I'm just too cheap. I don't want to pay for an attorney to plead me down from 30+ over to 14 over and then pay high insurance rates. If I get a ticket, it will be much more likely to be a 60 in a 45 than an 85 in a 70. There is just something about an old curvy well maintained country road that makes my right wrist have spasms...Yeah, that's it officer, my right wrist just had a spasm. :D
 
I hit 90 pretty regularly getting onto the freeway on the way to work. Had it up to around 110-ish a couple times farther out 290 towards Prairie View, where the traffic is thinner. Anything over about 80, I start getting down over the tank; the wind force gets excessive past that, especially if you're into a headwind.

I can see the bike hitting 125 pretty easily. The limitation is gearing more than available power. They could have easily crept a couple more points out of the gear spread and it would push up to 135 or so, but I don't see much point in that for a bike with essentially no wind protection or streamlining. It is, after all, a retro "muscle bike" rather than a sport bike. You make your point off the line. Nothing like getting up over the bars on stoplight launches. I've surprised a couple liter-bike guys who thought it was a vintage motorcycle. Of course, they pull away pretty quickly once they realize I'm Right There... Despite the displacement, this is not a liter bike. =)

Overall though, the gearing and tuning are quite satisfactory, and 90-ish is the highest I ever want to get it in traffic. In fifth, that's the bottom third of the powerband, so there's juice left over in plenty. Honda engineers make very carefully considered decisions in their designs -- which is why this is my 7th Honda. It's fast but not too fast, comfortable but not too comfortable. It's the "just right" bed.
 
ApathyCurve_imp said:
I hit 90 pretty regularly getting onto the freeway on the way to work. Had it up to around 110-ish a couple times farther out 290 towards Prairie View, where the traffic is thinner. Anything over about 80, I start getting down over the tank; the wind force gets excessive past that, especially if you're into a headwind.

I can see the bike hitting 125 pretty easily. The limitation is gearing more than available power. They could have easily crept a couple more points out of the gear spread and it would push up to 135 or so, but I don't see much point in that for a bike with essentially no wind protection or streamlining. It is, after all, a retro "muscle bike" rather than a sport bike. You make your point off the line. Nothing like getting up over the bars on stoplight launches. I've surprised a couple liter-bike guys who thought it was a vintage motorcycle. Of course, they pull away pretty quickly once they realize I'm Right There... Despite the displacement, this is not a liter bike. =)

Overall though, the gearing and tuning are quite satisfactory, and 90-ish is the highest I ever want to get it in traffic. In fifth, that's the bottom third of the powerband, so there's juice left over in plenty. Honda engineers make very carefully considered decisions in their designs -- which is why this is my 7th Honda. It's fast but not too fast, comfortable but not too comfortable. It's the "just right" bed.
I totally agree with your observations. BTW, you rode past my neck of the woods - close to Cypress.
 
I doubt that any new CB1100 that comes directly from Honda runs faster than 180 Km/h, which is 112 mph.
Reason is: In Japan it seems that all bikes are limited to that speed, and as far as I heard, for any reason this limitation is not removed from the exported CB 1100s.
At least I know for sure that the CB 1100s exported to Germany (where I come from) are limited to 180 Km/h (including my own, of course). And remember that Germany is the only country in the world without general speed limit on the Autobahn. This is why I believe that also the US model does not run faster than 112 mph. Would be really interested if I am right.
Actually, this is the only thing I do not like about my bike.
 
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen my speedo go over 110 (on open road with no other vehicles), but that is just glancing at it before slowing down, and who knows how much it is off by at that point. I'd like to take a GPS or something to see how fast it can really go now, the wind SUCKS though!!!
I too think it can easily do 125mph.
 
Thread starter
redReno_imp said:
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen my speedo go over 110 (on open road with no other vehicles), but that is just glancing at it before slowing down, and who knows how much it is off by at that point. I'd like to take a GPS or something to see how fast it can really go now, the wind SUCKS though!!!
I too think it can easily do 125mph.
Gonna need to try again !!
I'm now up to 200 miles on my new CB1100.....a few more and I can try this for myself :-)
 
According to the new Cycle World road test of the CB1100, we're looking at the limited 112mph as the top speed as mentioned above.
 
Guth_imp said:
According to the new Cycle World road test of the CB1100, we're looking at the limited 112mph as the top speed as mentioned above.
Is there a new test out? I searched Cycle world but only saw the first ride report. Thanks.
 
Guth_imp said:
According to the new Cycle World road test of the CB1100, we're looking at the limited 112mph as the top speed as mentioned above.
Dang, well at least now I know what I'll be doing next weekend :D. I won't be riding this weekend so me testing it is going to have to wait.
 
Back
Top