Top Speed, 125MPH?

Guth_imp said:
According to the new Cycle World road test of the CB1100, we're looking at the limited 112mph as the top speed as mentioned above.
Wonder if there is an easy bypass fix for the limit. Probably not, at least not yet.
 
So what would the calculated RPMs in 5th gear be at 112mph? Does anyone know how the speed limiter works? An ECU program setting?
 
Lol.. I have absolutely no interest in finding out if my bike will break the 112 mph barrier, so I won't be messing with the ecu to see if it can be bypassed, but trust me, someone will figure it out and will be selling the fix shortly.
 
I don't know about the 112 barrier, but mine did hit 100 tonight. I had to I can't help it. I have been breaking in Honda's for many years. I drive em like I'm mad at em!

I did wait til I had 30 nice easy miles on it first. :D
 
CB4ME_imp said:
So what would the calculated RPMs in 5th gear be at 112mph? Does anyone know how the speed limiter works? An ECU program setting?
I tried it out today. From the feel, I expect that the ECU may be shutting down one of the injectors when the speed hits 112 mph. It's not an abrupt power loss like when a rev limiter shuts off a coil (i.e. two cylinders quit simultaneously).

I didn't get a good look at the tach while watching the speedo bounce between 110 and 115, but I could feel it was nowhere near redline. Still butter smooth.


The EFI type of limiter is used on many of the ultra fast bikes (like the ZX-14 and Busa), but their limit is 186 mph (299 kph). People can get around it by fooling the ECU into thinking that the bike is still in 5th gear instead of 6th. Apparently, one of the parameters for the limiters on those bikes is that it must be in top gear.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
So what would the calculated RPMs in 5th gear be at 112mph? Does anyone know how the speed limiter works? An ECU program setting?
I tried it out today. From the feel, I expect that the ECU may be shutting down one of the injectors when the speed hits 112 mph. It's not an abrupt power loss like when a rev limiter shuts off a coil (i.e. two cylinders quit simultaneously).

I didn't get a good look at the tach while watching the speedo bounce between 110 and 115, but I could feel it was nowhere near redline. Still butter smooth.


The EFI type of limiter is used on many of the ultra fast bikes (like the ZX-14 and Busa), but their limit is 186 mph (299 kph). People can get around it by fooling the ECU into thinking that the bike is still in 5th gear instead of 6th. Apparently, one of the parameters for the limiters on those bikes is that it must be in top gear.
The limiter of the CB applies in 4th and 5th gear.
 
I have my own little section of Hot Wheels track on my ride home from work, a single-lane flyover bridge connecting the car pool lanes from one freeway to another. It's rarely used, allowing an uninterupted 1/2 mile to play with. On a few occaisions I've wrung the throttle just for fun, and no, she won't do more than 112. She did impress a banzai runner in a C7 Vette last week on that section of road.
 
Dave in WI_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
According to the new Cycle World road test of the CB1100, we're looking at the limited 112mph as the top speed as mentioned above.
Wonder if there is an easy bypass fix for the limit. Probably not, at least not yet.
Wonder if there is an easy bypass fix for the limit. Probably not, at least not yet. The bike is governed to 112. But you can get it tuned to take off the governor. I have it with my Guhl tune. I've had mine up to 120 ( speedo only goes to 120:D). The bike will get to 100 VERY easily but then kind of falls flat a little over 110. But it'll get there. IMHO it doesn't feel super stable over 110..The bike will do it. Just doesn't seem to like it. Mine loves 95-100 all day.
But I'm just talking my experience.
 
I'm pretty sure I went over 90 on my CB once, but I'm not sure. I know I've gone 85. Feel no need to go faster than that.
 
In stock form it is not worth the bother to approach 180 km/h as the experience erodes quickly as the limiter dials in. Just as well as to stay away.
 
I did 90 on it the other day because another thread got me curious. It was about someone noticing roughness and buzziness and vibration in this speed / rpm range and it occurred to me that I had no idea how smooth or not my bike is at those speeds.

So, I did a quick spurt up to and slightly over 90 on the way to work the other day. I still have absolutely no clue if the engine was smooth or not. Being bopped around in a 90mph wind tunnel tends to under-emphasize the subtleties of of engine balance.
 
It could be because of the changes i've made to the bike but I can report with a lot of experience to back it up that 90 seems to be like some sort of happy place for my CB. No weirdness, no extra vibration. the whole thing feels super focused and smooth.
 
I certainly didn't notice weirdness or anything amiss... I just don't think I like any naked bike at those speeds
 
Im odd like that. I've never had any bike with any kind of wind protection until less than a year ago. I just automatically lean into the wind and settle into the gusts. The new concours is seriously spoiling me though.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol 70 s as fast as I've seen the need to go so far.
So that's how you manage to get that incredible gas mileage! If you're traveling at less than 70 mph on our California freeways then you better stay in the slow lane!
 
I generally will run 72 mph on our freeways here (65 mph speed limit), but it's rare that I'm on the freeway and most of my riding is done at speeds of 45-60 mph, which indeed helps with my gas mileage, tire life etc
 
Only once I maxed mine out at 180kph on a quiet outback road. If i had been caught by the blue meanies it would have cost me $1177 and 6 months suspension.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Once the bike is broken in, I'll take it up to 120 under the right conditions as long as the bike behaves - which I'm pretty sure it will. But I'll only stay there for a few hundred yards and just to see how it handles (and for so-called "bragging rights".

Back when I was in the Navy, I used to push my old GS1000 up past 130 indicated on the Escambia Bay Causeway. The causeway is 2 miles long and prefectly straight. At that speed the front end would start to get really light and if the bike hit a decent bump, the bars would start shaking.

On the other hand when I took my GSXF-650F up past 120 indicated it felt as solid and confident as it did at 80. I did that speed once on a completely open stretch of new interstate.

I do not advocate high speed riding, normally obey all laws, and I urge fellow riders to do so too. I cringe when I see sportsbike crazies weaving in and out of traffic on busy interstates doing twice the speed limit, and I'm reminded of the saying about bold pilots and old pilots.
Funny you mention the Escambia Bay Causeway. If it is the same one I remember as a kid of 15 in Pensacola, that is where I got my Suzuki 100 up to a decent 67mph!
 
Back
Top