Today is the Big Day for me!!!

Nice story and good luck with your bike , I know Scranton very well as we lived just outside Binghamton and I had a farm just south of Montrose.
 
Great story! best luck to you with your new CB. You'll be looking forward to those rare sunny and warm days throughout the winter ahead. :biker:
 
Great story, Bill. I’m so pleased they got it running properly. Even better, you got to take it home. We’ll all be looking forward to pictures and your impressions of the bike as you get to know it better.
 
Thread starter
OK guys... I'm gonna to try to upload some pics of yesterdays adventure!

Here's the 1st time I saw the bike in person, along with it's actual miles!


I hope you can see the 2 pics I tried to attach?!
 
Pics are perfect. Great bike, you will love it. THe original and most sporty of the CB iterations.
 
Did you manage to track down any of the backstory of the bike, Bill?
 
Thread starter
Hey guys....

I really need some advice on how to safely remove those ridiculous "safety" labels glaring at me, on top of the tank??!!!
They'e been stuck on there for 5 years, so I'm concerned that the adhesive may be difficult to remove, without damaging
the beautiful paint!! Is there any consensus on the best way to get rid of them?? Thanks in advance!!
 
Personally I'd use a metal paint scraper. Other, more sophisticated forum members would use a hair dryer to melt the glue and then peel them off gently. There is a risk the rest of the paint on the tank may have faded so you'll see brighter spots where the labels were.
 
Heat works well. I just set mine out in the driveway on a 100+ degree day and they peeled right off. The residue will come off with a solvent. I was lazy and just dipped a cloth into the tank and it wiped right off.

Hopefully, with only 137 miles, it's spent the last 5 years in the garage. If so, you shouldn't have to worry too much about unfaded paint under the stickers.
 
And Cormanus is joking about the metal scraper. I did what Flynrider did and just used my finger nail. Since Summer is over you can use a hair dryer to heat them up. I used a WD-40 to remove the glue. Don’t use anything that would mess up paint.

Then some polish and done. THEN, RLETS install you must (Read that in Yoda’s voice)
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Personally I'd use a metal paint scraper. Other, more sophisticated forum members would use a hair dryer to melt the glue and then peel them off gently. There is a risk the rest of the paint on the tank may have faded so you'll see brighter spots where the labels were.
:rofl:
 
Thread starter
FYI... Mine is #1325, mfg date 03/13

So... I successfully removed TANK LABELS with my wife's hair dryer and WD-40, but...
The paint is MUCH darker under the labels!!! BUMMER!
Here's my VIN...
 
wow that is a huge difference in color.
 
That is a bummer, 96gears.

I’ve taken the liberty of adding your VIN to the forum register.
 
congrats 96 on the bike,
to my understanding that discoloration on your fuel tank that's only a clear coat what is changed,and hopefully just upper surface,not a red base,
talk to your local,friendly body shop,very gentle sanding with water 1000-2000 sandpaper and polishing,buffeting and waxing and waxing and waxing might solve a problem,HOWEVER if you have never done it before,DON'T do it,please,first time on that fuel tank.you can always get a fender from a junk yard and try it.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Where was the bike stored ? Outside ?
I'd think it would have had to have spent some time outside. Hard to imagine that much fading without some UV rays being involved.

One other fix might be to put the stickers back on.
 
Back
Top