to puig or not to puig (or, which Puig screens fit ?)

Thread starter
a better photo than the last one ... to show how invisible this screen can be ... from a little further apart and in ambient light. Does it matter ? Some say yes, some say no, but I just don't like to spoil the looks of my baby.

938b5322372b0b3c9f33edfc7db03cd8.
 
j3gg, I do like the clear and you are right, it does not detract from the natural beauty of the CB1100. Almost invisible until you look for it.
 
Thread starter
Tested the screen today, only up to 60 mph, at about 40F. My initial take, it's a sufficiently good compromise. Brackets work well, doesn't inject noise or vibration, and as somebody said before, it protects "more or less well" from the wind on your chest. No buffeting on my helmet (up to this speed).

But I can also see that she won't do enough at higher speeds or in much cooler temps. Another screen, smaller than this cannot do enough in terms of protection.
 
Thread starter
olafurarason_imp said:
Puig.
Puig.
This last photo does prominently show how different the same screen can look on a CB, depending on its tan. Mine is transparent (almost invisible), this one is grey tone. Forgive me, olafur, I think the CB looks better with a transparent screen.
 
Looks good. I like, and have, a tinted Puig and like that it covers the instruments from view and gives that part of the bike a more stream-lined or finished look. To each his own. Good looking bike.
 
Looks like some the Puig shields attach ONLY to the headlight ears. Could that be? No bar support brackets?
I have a Nat'l Cycle shield that works well, but I find that the all the support hardware a little too much. I like the shield, however.

 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Looks like some the Puig shields attach ONLY to the headlight ears. Could that be? No bar support brackets?
I have a Nat'l Cycle shield that works well, but I find that the all the support hardware a little too much. I like the shield, however.
The Dart Marlin (and I think the original Dart windscreen) attaches to the headlight only too.
 
Thread starter
They do, but customer reviews say that the bracket is not really made for the CB1100, and that the screen easily cracks around the bracket.
 
j3gq_imp said:
They do, but customer reviews say that the bracket is not really made for the CB1100, and that the screen easily cracks around the bracket.
I did not experience any of the said circumstances. At least for the Marlin, the bracket worked just fine.
 
Puig I have used it for too little time to check for any breakages. The problem that conveys all the air on the upper part of the body creating an annoying flow.
Personally I prefer without the fairing and feel the air distributed on the body evenly.


 
Having tried a Dart Marlin, an MRA Custom shield and a Puig bikini-style fairing on both RS and non-RS CB1100's, for me, nothing works better than nothing at all.

Both the Dart and the Puig concentrate the wind across my upper chest, shoulders and base of the helmet creating much more noise and a greater sensitivity to air blast from other vehicles.

The MRA, which I used only once (and with a top deflector fitted) produced a very weird effect - I first noticed it after about 30mins of use when the characters on a big illuminated motorway/highway dot-matrix sign appeared to be blurred/vibrating. Nothing else looked like the though.

Anyway, an hour or so later I stopped for petrol, got off the bike and promptly staggered for a couple of steps or so (never done that before). Put that down to old age and galloping senility.

Another hour after that, I stopped at a POI site. Got off the bike, staggered again, brain felt mushy, tried and failed to think of words when engaged in conversation, but felt 'ok in myself'.

Got home, tried to do my normal full-lock u-turn on my sloping drive and dropped the bike! Certainly not done that before, with any bike!! No damage done except to a frame slider and RLET

What i think may have been the cause was something like a high frequency 'micro-buffeting' effect from the MRA screen which was kind of oscillating/bouncing, especially when on less smooth road surfaces, as it had only the two bar bars to hold it steady/fixed.

I've no idea if this was the actual case, or if I was 'ill' but I took that screen off as soon as I got the bike into the garage! Not had the same symptoms since.

Just something that happened to me and you may want to be aware of.

Of course, YMMV!!
 
Scary experience Haggard Rider, and definitely worth sharing to all riders.

If the machine and/or attachments "hurts" the body, then that is a flag an adjustment is needed somewhere, or the bike was never optimal for the rider. Glad you are able to tell the story.
 
Back
Top