Tires

CA200 said that the tires are roughly the same, if I recall correctly. He discussed it in an early thread when Guth first turned the board on.

I may start saving and order a spare set if tires are going to be hard to get.

Randy, You just might want to at least check on availability of the Bridgestones. I didn't as mine had the Dunlops.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
So is the consensus here that if a man was going to buy a new CB he would be better off if he could find one with Bridgestone tires over the Dunlops?
Thats not my consensus. So far I am perfectly happy with the longevity and grip of my Dunlops. I have about 4400 miles on them and both tires look good treadwise.I expect to get 8 or 9 thousand out of them. If I found a bike at a dealer and it had Dunlops on it, I certainly wouldn't pass on it for that reason.
 
Should add, I normally run Michelins on all my vehicles, my Civic, my wifes Accord, our Ridgeline truck, my Honda ST 1300. Love Hondas and Michelins, great combo!

Anyhow I just emailed Michelin begging them to make tires to fit the CB. Said it may take 5 days to get a response so I will let you know what they say.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Should add, I normally run Michelins on all my vehicles, my Civic, my wifes Accord, our Ridgeline truck, my Honda ST 1300. Love Hondas and Michelins, great combo!

Anyhow I just emailed Michelin begging them to make tires to fit the CB. Said it may take 5 days to get a response so I will let you know what they say.
Man, you are drinking too much of the Honda Koolaid. ;) Just when I got rid of my Sporty, MIchelin Commanders where coming out and they made some pretty bold statements on how they would hold up. I have had excellent results out of Michelins on cars but they are pricey. We ran a 4 Runner to almost 100K on the original set of tires.
 
LOL after trying Fords, Dodges, Chevrolets, Toyotas, and VW's I've found out what works best for me.... Hondas and Michelins

I got 118,000 out of the last set of Michelins on my Civic. New Michelins went back on.

I posted up Michelin's response over on the replacement tires thread, but it doesn't look promising.
 
Getting back to ferret's compressor--I bit the bullet and just ordered a StopNgo.com tire repair kit. If someone wants one, order it from some other site as it will be cheaper.
 
Just for info, Honda must have gotten some tires. My dealer said my rear tire is supposed to be here tomorrow, 6 Aug, vice the original 11 Aug date quoted by Honda.

I'll hold on to it for a while as I have a gas tank problem I'm taking care of right now--dropped the bike in the garage and dented and scratched it. ACK-CB11 is helping me with this.

I did post it in another thread.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
So is the consensus here that if a man was going to buy a new CB he would be better off if he could find one with Bridgestone tires over the Dunlops?
If Honda felt that one was superior to the other, I think that they would stick with that particular tire or find another alternative. Seems like both tires have plenty of fans here
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Just for info, Honda must have gotten some tires. My dealer said my rear tire is supposed to be here tomorrow, 6 Aug, vice the original 11 Aug date quoted by Honda.

I'll hold on to it for a while as I have a gas tank problem I'm taking care of right now--dropped the bike in the garage and dented and scratched it. ACK-CB11 is helping me with this.

I did post it in another thread.
That's terrible. I get upset over the first little nick in a new tank, this is way beyond that...
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Just for info, Honda must have gotten some tires. My dealer said my rear tire is supposed to be here tomorrow, 6 Aug, vice the original 11 Aug date quoted by Honda.

I'll hold on to it for a while as I have a gas tank problem I'm taking care of right now--dropped the bike in the garage and dented and scratched it. ACK-CB11 is helping me with this.

I did post it in another thread.
That's terrible. I get upset over the first little nick in a new tank, this is way beyond that...
That's terrible. I get upset over the first little nick in a new tank, this is way beyond that...
Furious, yeah, first I was :@, then :( and :blush:. But if everything goes well with ACQ, I will be :D

Man, when we get more smilies, I can write a whole sentence with them!
furious_blue_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Just for info, Honda must have gotten some tires. My dealer said my rear tire is supposed to be here tomorrow, 6 Aug, vice the original 11 Aug date quoted by Honda.

I'll hold on to it for a while as I have a gas tank problem I'm taking care of right now--dropped the bike in the garage and dented and scratched it. ACK-CB11 is helping me with this.

I did post it in another thread.
That's terrible. I get upset over the first little nick in a new tank, this is way beyond that...
That's terrible. I get upset over the first little nick in a new tank, this is way beyond that...
Furious, yeah, first I was :@, then :( and :blush:. But if everything goes well with ACQ, I will be :D

Man, when we get more smilies, I can write a whole sentence with them!
 
While we are on the subject of tires can someone point me to how to find and read a date code? Also, what is the maximum age a tire is considered safe?
 
OldFGuy,

Just for info, I got my new rear tire Saturday. It is a Dunlop, made in Japan and wrapped up in yellow plastic with the Dunlop sticker and a Honda part sticker on it. I can't even read the date code on it until I unwrap it.
 
Rubber degrades just like styrene, which is why both have a recommended 5 year shelf life both can be worn/ ridden on longer than that, but each will be at a diminishes service life vs new
 
A cool rainy day here in South Carolina, so what are you going to do? Guess I'll put a new tire on and I did. An Avon Roadrider 150/70x18. Took it for a spin between rain showers, felt OK. Dryer weather and a few miles on it and we'll see how it handles the curves. The Dunlop it replaced had 6000 miles on it, could've gone a couple of hundred miles more but the wear bars were even with the rubber. Tire looks good on the bike. Kinda fills up the fender gap. By the way, the 6k miles on the Dunlop is a record for me. They were on my FZ1 and only got 4k miles and also on the Harley XR1200 I had. Only got 3500 miles on it. I've put 7k miles on Metzler Z6s twice on the FZ, and have Bridgestone Pilot Road 3s on it now, hoping for a little better mileage return on them.
Sorry, I mean Michelin Pilot Road 3 brain fart
 
I'm almost at 8500 miles on my original Bridgestones. I'm starting to get weary of the front tire, but the rear looks to still be in really good shape. I find that confusing because every bike I've had has worn out the front tire first, but not this one.
 
I have an Avon roadrider on my 79 CBX and love that tire,I was thinking to do just what you did,replace the Bridgestone with an Avon as soon as the Bridgestone wears out.The fact that the Avon is a bias tire instead of radial would make very little if any difference on this bike.I also have Avon radials on my 94 and 95 CB1000 and they are 180 radials and feel great.
 
Houtman, I'd like to know more about your impressions of the Roadriders compared to the Avon radials.

I used to have a set of Avon Azaro radials on my Hawk GT and really liked them. Unfortunately, they no longer produce this tire in the stock size for the front. I've often wondered how the Roadrider would compare.
 
Back
Top