Tires

mmrabit_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I am thinking of getting a CB1100, does anybody have a good idea of the various tire brands available and how long are your tires lasting?
2004 R1150R
 
Other than it Australia and Japan and maybe New Zealand they are too new in the US for anybody to have burnt thru a set yet. Our highest rider on this board has a little over 6500 miles in 3 months and his tires are still good.
 
Nope...factory tires.
 
Stretch, they can come with either Dunlops or Bridgestones from the factory. Honda uses both brands.
 
I have a feeling the Dunlops don't last as long as the Bridgestones.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I have a feeling the Dunlops don't last as long as the Bridgestones.
...based on?...:huh:

Mine came with the Dunlops, and I immediately ordered a second pair, which are waiting in my garage. All my bikes run on Dunlops...from the street to the race track.
 
The OEM Dunlops are Junk. I have burnt through a rear at 4K miles
and after a month search found a radial Bridgestone Battleax BT45
150/70R/18 that comes stock on a 1996-2003 FZR600 Yamaha.
Gulf Coast BMW/Triumph (Greg Holt, Parts Manager) found this tire
for me and I had his service dept. install it. No clearance problems,
no handling problems, it fills up the rear wheel well from the side
and looks great from the back. Continental is making a radial adv-
sport tire in 150/70/18 that will be available sometime this year at
$250. Other than that, what the Honda dealer has is all their is!!
I would be interested if anyone has used a bias ply successfully.
With what little I know about radial vs bias ply I will not chance it!
 
thumper_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
I have a feeling the Dunlops don't last as long as the Bridgestones.
...based on?...:huh:

Mine came with the Dunlops, and I immediately ordered a second pair, which are waiting in my garage. All my bikes run on Dunlops...from the street to the race track.
...based on?...:huh:

Mine came with the Dunlops, and I immediately ordered a second pair, which are waiting in my garage. All my bikes run on Dunlops...from the street to the race track. His tire wear and mileage
How many miles....

VS my tire wear and mileage.

How many miles....
 
Randy B_imp said:
thumper_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
I have a feeling the Dunlops don't last as long as the Bridgestones.
...based on?...:huh:

Mine came with the Dunlops, and I immediately ordered a second pair, which are waiting in my garage. All my bikes run on Dunlops...from the street to the race track.
...based on?...:huh:

Mine came with the Dunlops, and I immediately ordered a second pair, which are waiting in my garage. All my bikes run on Dunlops...from the street to the race track. His tire wear and mileage
How many miles....

VS my tire wear and mileage.

How many miles....
...based on?...:huh:

Mine came with the Dunlops, and I immediately ordered a second pair, which are waiting in my garage. All my bikes run on Dunlops...from the street to the race track. His tire wear and mileage
How many miles....

VS my tire wear and mileage.

How many miles....
Ahhh. My apologies.
 
Tire wear is very dependent on multiple factors. Rider style, speed, weight, heat, maintenance, road surface, geographical location among other factors. Those factors are more important than brand. Like oil, and trucks many people have their biases. Many will only run Dunlops, many will only run Bridgestones. Given a choice, I will only run Michelins..on my motorcycles, my cars and my truck. Only if they are not available will I run something else, and then its usually a Dunlop.

Two tires roll off the molds side by side as similar as two made man objects can be, but one rider will get 4000 miles out of one and call it junk, the next rider will get 10,000 out of it and declare them the greatest thing since sliced bread. Doesn't matter if its a Dunlop, a Bridgestone....or a Michelin for that matter.

If you've been around motorcycle forums at all you have seen it, or should I say read it.

The best thing for us is if multiple tire manufactures make tires in our sizes so that we can each find a tire that suits us.
 
Well it seems like the Dunlops are wearing about like my K505's did on my nighthawk. I was getting around 5000 miles out of them and that seems to be the case with his. Now me being a good 260 lbs dressed and doing the same type of riding as I did on the Nighthawk (a lighter and less powerful bike) I am getting WAY more mileage out of my Bridgestones than I ever did on the Dunlops.
Even when I was closer to 200 lbs I was still only getting right around 5000 miles out of them....20 years ago. I know the K505's are bias ply and the new Bridgestones are radials so take that with a grain of salt. Just my personal experience and a little bit of observation thrown in just to stir the pot a little. :cool:
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
Well it seems like the Dunlops are wearing about like my K505's did on my nighthawk. I was getting around 5000 miles out of them and that seems to be the case with his. Now me being a good 260 lbs dressed and doing the same type of riding as I did on the Nighthawk (a lighter and less powerful bike) I am getting WAY more mileage out of my Bridgestones than I ever did on the Dunlops.
Even when I was closer to 200 lbs I was still only getting right around 5000 miles out of them....20 years ago. I know the K505's are bias ply and the new Bridgestones are radials so take that with a grain of salt. Just my personal experience and a little bit of observation thrown in just to stir the pot a little. :cool:
Quite a bit of input on this subject, I normally get 10,000 on a set of tires on my R1150R, I do stay on top of the tire pressure.
Been using Michelin Pilot Road 3 the last couple of times. Just weighing the operating cost of the Honda vs the BMW.
Thanks for all the input
 
I hope so. I am THROWING the miles at this thing with my commute and replacing tires 4 times a year would just kill me.
 
So Randy, you are just over 1000 miles away from first schedule valve inspection. Will be interesting to me to see how valve specs come out.
 
Yeah......I REALLY have to get a manual. No way am I paying for that service.
 
Well, If I offended anyone with the "Junk" comment I apologize.
That is my opinion after owning a bunch of bikes and tires. My 11
OEM Dunlop rear was showing major wear at 3K+ miles and the
picture I saw with the guy on Bridgestones at 5K says it all to me.
Now maybe under perfect conditions, small rider, and slick pavement
my results would be different. The point is these OEM tires are not
cheap so get the best bang for your buck because they wear quick.
 
Man,

I found a nail in my rear tire :( Guess I'll be getting a new one?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Man,

I found a nail in my rear tire :( Guess I'll be getting a new one?

Plug it. I know this is controversial to some, but if its in main tread and not poking thru sidewall, personally I'd plug it and ride on it. I've put tens of thousands of miles on plugged tires. A properly plugged tire doesn't worry me a bit. YMMV
 
Back
Top