Tires

Thanks ferret,

And congrats on the mod thing!!! Guess I can't rag on you about being short and shooting long bows...:)

The nail is off center, but not near the side. I took a pic, but STILL don't have a photo hosting account or I would post it.

I'm going to show the picture to the service manager today and see what they say. I have no talent for plugging tires, I don't care how easy it is...
 
I carry a plug kit with me all the time, on every ride., and a small air compressor . It all actually fits under the seat of the CB except the pokey handle things which I put in the tank bag or tail pack. Saved a lot of rides with this, for me and others. Plugged my Nighthawk 750' My St 1300 and my sons FZ-1 among others. Works great as long as the tire isn't cut or item in tire isn't too big, like a 1/4" bolt or something.



Pop bike up on ceneterstand, remove nail screw ect, ream hole with spikey pokey thing, put worm in smooth pokey thing, slowly push plug into hole, quickly remove smooth pokey thing leaving plug in tire (some kits required glue this one doesn't) inflate tire with air compressor, cut off end of plug even with tire..ride on.

It is recommended that this be a temporary repair, and the tire replaced as soon as conveniently possible. However like I said, I have plugged tires at very low mileage and ridden them until due for replacement.

Doubt you dealer has a tire to fit your bike at this point.
 
Where did you get that mini compressor?

I figured that if they won't repair the tire they would have to order it. If so, hopefully it won't take long to get in.
 
Mickey,

You are slipping bro. Do you think you can put up a picture of something that cool and not tell us where the heck you found a compressor small enough to fit under the seat?? Where can I get one? On my ride through Colorado two months ago I had two flat tires that required towing my Road King to a dealership and an overnight hotel stay. That kit would have been worth it's weight in gold.

I have plugged car tires and driven on them for years. I've also had plugs leak after they had been in for some time but they still allowed me to get going and use that tire for quite a while. Most of the plugs I've put in never leaked. But a dealership will NEVER plug a tire. They are so liability crazy they don't even want to remount a tube type tire that has gone flat with a new tube, they insisted on a new $170 dollar tire even though the old tire was new and I stopped the instant it went flat. If you want to plug a motorcycle tire, you have to do it yourself. So where can I buy that repair kit?

Chip
 
Chip, popgun, the compressor is a Campell Husfeld unit from walmart with the giant plastic shell removed and a couple alligator clips intalled. i also have an adapter that goes to my battery tender plug now, so I dont even have to remove the seat.

You can get the air compressor unit at Wally World for like $12, or you can order one with no case from Aerostitch for like $50. The plug kit also came from Wally World or Harbor Freight, I forget which.

Motorcycle Tire Air Pump - webBikeWorld

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-repair/pumps-air-compressors/aerostich-mini-compressor.html

Btw when looking for a plug kit, try and find one with the handles like the ones shown in my pic rather than the ones that just look like screw drivers. It takes a bit of pressure to push the reaming pokey thing in and out, and then inserting the plug, so the big handles, although harder to hide under the seat, make the work on the road, which is the only place you will be using them, much easier.
 
Well Chip was right about liability. My dealer said they would repair it, except for the liability. Said they had been sued a couple of times over the years, so, I had to order a new tire.

They said it should be in this Friday, so I *might* be able to get it mounted Saturday.

In the meantime the parts guys said heck, you got a nail, go do some burnouts!!!

Except I don't know how to do burnouts....

Not gonna learn either, expecially on a new bike.

The mechanics can't wait for me to bring it in so they can "test ride" it as mine is the only one they have sold. They told me a tire change takes around, oh, 8-10 hours. Hummmmm.....
 
Well obviously you are not the first one on the bench Saturday morning. Pulling a wheel and remounting takes a good mechanic less than 1/2 hour, another 1/2 hour to take off your old tire and mount and balance your new tire. Your guys are sloooow.

Burn outs are hard on all components of the drive train, clutch, sprockets, chain, dampeners in the wheel, not just the rubber tire. Not worth it to me.
 
Ferret, I guess it doesn't come across well on the internet, but they were making a joke about riding my bike all day...

Changing the tire costs $80 so I guess they take 1/2 to an hour to do it. I don't know what the shop rate is.

While it is there, I'm going to let them do the 600 mile check even though I only have about 500 miles. I'm going to let professional eyes look it over this one time. At least I won't have to mess with adjusting the chain!!

Edit to remove redundant words.
 
I changed tires myself once on my old F800ST, using c-clamps, ropes, pliers, snips, blocks of wood, maybe even the sawzall.


It's not something I'll do again.......if you don't have the proper tools, it's a job worth every penny of that $80 bucks!
 
Jim,

I'll agree with that! I once fought those little tires on a riding lawn mower. N.E.V.E.R A.G.A.I.N
 
2013 CBXX_imp said:
Well, If I offended anyone with the "Junk" comment I apologize.
That is my opinion after owning a bunch of bikes and tires. My 11
OEM Dunlop rear was showing major wear at 3K+ miles and the
picture I saw with the guy on Bridgestones at 5K says it all to me.
Now maybe under perfect conditions, small rider, and slick pavement
my results would be different. The point is these OEM tires are not
cheap so get the best bang for your buck because they wear quick.
hmmm. the Stock Dunlop rear that came on my 1999 1100XX lasted about 8000 miles.. as they say YMMV...

My last couple of changes have been to Avon Azaros which seem to last just a little while longer and perform well...

Oh, about changing tires with hand tools.. I did it once, well a buddy of mine did it and I helped, changing the front tire for my now gone Speed Triple.. I cringed at levering the tire off and on to the dark grey painted wheels. I think (?) the tire machine at a professional installer is less likely to nick the finish (?). I'm happy to pay to have it done..
 
When I need to change a tire I just walk out to my garage:shy
When we had our retail store we never plugged tires. We didn't even have the stuff to do it. Only a few times did we have people walk when we
would not repair or plug their tire and then they would come back after
their flat or crash and buy tires from us. We still sold more tires then anyone in the area. ( We only did wheel only mounts, you had to bring us your wheels)
[/img]
 
Got my last set of tires at CA200's shop, great prices and top-notch installation quality! Don't know where I'm gonna get my next tires done... :(
 
Yoyodyne_imp said:
Got my last set of tires at CA200's shop, great prices and top-notch installation quality! Don't know where I'm gonna get my next tires done... :(
Well I'd say in CA's garage! Just take a tire and some cash...:D
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yoyodyne_imp said:
Got my last set of tires at CA200's shop, great prices and top-notch installation quality! Don't know where I'm gonna get my next tires done... :(
Well I'd say in CA's garage! Just take a tire and some cash...:D
Well I'd say in CA's garage! Just take a tire and some cash...:D
Nah, he's enjoying a well-earned retirement so I'll get my re-tiring needs handled elsewhere!
 
As it turns out, Honda says the tire (Dunlop) is backordered until 11 Aug. And the dealer hopes they don't push it back.

I may do ferret's thing until it comes. Plug it that is. I'm only riding it on a 45mph road anyway most of the time.
 
Ack....I had better get on ordering my Bridgestones...soon. I just flipped 7000 tonight. :D
 
So is the consensus here that if a man was going to buy a new CB he would be better off if he could find one with Bridgestone tires over the Dunlops?
 
Back
Top