Tires: Pirelli Angel GT vs Bridgestone BT54

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
These are the two that I've narrowed it down to... Looking for all season traction and long tread life.

I realize I will have to bump the rear to 160/60 to run the Pirellis, but I might do that with the BT54 anyway.

Anyone experienced with either or both of these tires who might care to comment?

I actually like the stock BT54s a lot, but I'm curious about the Angel GTs...

I realize there are a bunch of other tire threads, but none comparing these two.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance!
 
I have the Pirelli Angels on both my bikes and LOVE them. Hated the Dunlops that came on it originally. I have no experience with BT54s.

I think Ferret and a number of others have had both though.
 
I am Ok with Angels GT
My CB std clocked so far about 7+K miles, no issues.
This is a dual compound tire, which means a harder central area for increased longevity, with the outsides being a little softer for grip.

IMHO, Metzeler roadtec z8 was sportier/softer tire with better grip and cornering at higher speed but was gone quickly.
Due to fast wear of Z8 I chose the GTs.

Also had front Dunlop roadsmart 3 - no complaints, long lasting, ca 20K miles if not mistaken??

Best ever were PR3s, but no longer available.

If nothing better is available, will buy GTs again.
 
I've not run the Bridgestones but have run the original Dunlops, Michelin PR3s and Pirelli Angel GT's (I'm also running the GT's on my NC 750X) Not quite as good as the PR3s but very close.

Here is the rear Angel GT on the back of my CB at 10,300 miles

65979d5c5ed4900266149177431a8509.jpg
 
I've had a couple of sets of Angel GTs and liked them a lot. They weren't as long lasting as the PR3s, but better, for example, than Bridgestone BT31s.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I've not run the Bridgestones but have run the original Dunlops, Michelin PR3s and Pirelli Angel GT's (I'm also running the GT's on my NC 750X) Not quite as good as the PR3s but very close.

Here is the rear Angel GT on the back of my CB at 10,300 miles

65979d5c5ed4900266149177431a8509.jpg
Thanks for the pic! Looks very good. In fact, that looks similar to the BT54 on my 2014, but mine only has 7k miles on it. I plan to ride the rest of the summer on the BT54s and swap into the Angel GTs next autumn. By then I will probably have another 3 or 4k on the BT54s.

The BT54s are much better tires than the Shinkos that were on my 2009 Shadow when I bought it. They were brand new and got barely 3500 miles...
 
I got 6478 miles out of a set of Shino Raven 09's on my NC 750

for comparison on that bike I got 8,579 on a set of Michelin Road 5s
7,696 on a set of Angel GT's
7,130 on a set of Metzler Tourance Next's

Funny that I get more miles out of the tires on my CB which has 30 more horsepower and weighs 75 pounds more.
 
... smaller wheels on the NC, hence, more wheel rotation over same distance?

But seriously, my original NC tires wore down to the cotton weave. The OEMs were not very durable.
 
well, to be honest I got more miles than either the CB or the NC on my ST 1300 and FJR. The NC, ST and FJR all had 17" wheels.

Tire mileage s a common complaint on the NC board.
 
Maybe not as bad as 1.5 years ago, but availability factors in. I got some new Bridgestones this Spring through a dealership, kinda limited availability with those & other brands.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
well, to be honest I got more miles than either the CB or the NC on my ST 1300 and FJR. The NC, ST and FJR all had 17" wheels.

Tire mileage s a common complaint on the NC board.
The FJR 1300 is a bike that I still hope to own someday. Which generation do you have?

I ended up getting an ST1300 thinking it would scratch the itch. but I came away disappointed... My 2009 St1300 had a lot of design-oriented mechanical issues, eg., windscreen, brakes, head gasket, etc. It bugged me that the ST1300 required premium fuel too, and still couldn't keep up with the FJR!
 
I had a 2006 ST 1300 bought new as a left over in 2008. Wife and I rode it all over country. Put 110,000 miles on it. In that time I had 2 issues. A thermostat went bad which didnt cause any issues, and a failed Secondary Master Cylinder which locked up the rear wheel while my wife and I were riding, giving us quite the scare. Both are known ST issues. So I sold it, as is, and bought a 2018 FJR new. It was subject to the second gear recall in which the whole motor had to come out of frame and taken apart. I had put about 38,500 miles on it, and had no other issues but in 2020 due to medical issues which prevented her from mounting and dismounting, my wife decided she no longer wanted to ride two up and I didnt think I needed 630 pounds and 145 hp for solo local rides,.Traded the FJR in on an NC 750x dct that I have put 30,000 miles on. I have also put almost 71,000 miles on my CB 1100. I go thru a lot of tires lol.

As far as comparing the ST 1300 and FJR 1300, you sat IN the ST and ON the FJR. The STs windshield was better. The FJR was lighter by about 80 pounds, had ammenties like cruise control, heated grips, ABS, TC, and looked better with the bags off. The ST was slightly smoother.The ST held more gas, but like you said required premium, whereas the FJR used regular. Gas mileage was about the same at 40- 45 mpg, but range was longer on the ST. Both were boats to hand push around in the garage or driveway, but neither felt heavy once under power, and the weight made them stable at speed.I liked them both. Both were great for fast, long days in the saddle, especially 2 up with gear, but overkill for solo rides on secondary roads at 45-60 mph.

My NC 750 shines in that area, while weighing under 500 pounds and averaging 75 mpg on regular. A pleasure to push around in the garage. I wish the NC had cruise control, and unfortunately Go-Cruise doesnt get it lol. I added heated grips and a bigger shield for better wind protection while travelling, and between the frunk and a tailbag I can carry everything I need for an unlimited time on the road. Although it will travel at freeway speeds I don't feel that's a good all day element for it.

If I were considering lots of cross country travel with lots of high speed freeway involved I would choose the FJR.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I had a 2006 ST 1300 bought new as a left over in 2008. Wife and I rode it all over country. Put 110,000 miles on it. In that time I had 2 issues. A thermostat went bad which didnt cause any issues, and a failed Secondary Master Cylinder which locked up the rear wheel while my wife and I were riding, giving us quite the scare. Both are known ST issues. So I sold it, as is, and bought a 2018 FJR new. It was subject to the second gear recall in which the whole motor had to come out of frame and taken apart. I had put about 38,500 miles on it, and had no other issues but in 2020 due to medical issues which prevented her from mounting and dismounting, my wife decided she no longer wanted to ride two up and I didnt think I needed 630 pounds and 145 hp for solo local rides,.Traded the FJR in on an NC 750x dct that I have put 30,000 miles on. I have also put almost 71,000 miles on my CB 1100. I go thru a lot of tires lol.

As far as comparing the ST 1300 and FJR 1300, you sat IN the ST and ON the FJR. The STs windshield was better. The FJR was lighter by about 80 pounds, had ammenties like cruise control, heated grips, ABS, TC, and looked better with the bags off. The ST was slightly smoother.The ST held more gas, but like you said required premium, whereas the FJR used regular. Gas mileage was about the same at 40- 45 mpg, but range was longer on the ST. Both were boats to hand push around in the garage or driveway, but neither felt heavy once under power, and the weight made them stable at speed.I liked them both. Both were great for fast, long days in the saddle, especially 2 up with gear, but overkill for solo rides on secondary roads at 45-60 mph.

My NC 750 shines in that area, while weighing under 500 pounds and averaging 75 mpg on regular. A pleasure to push around in the garage. I wish the NC had cruise control, and unfortunately Go-Cruise doesnt get it lol. I added heated grips and a bigger shield for better wind protection while travelling, and between the frunk and a tailbag I can carry everything I need for an unlimited time on the road. Although it will travel at freeway speeds I don't feel that's a good all day element for it.

If I were considering lots of cross country travel with lots of high speed freeway involved I would choose the FJR.
Yeah, the ST1300 secondary master cylinder brake cylinder linking the front and rear brakes failed on mine too. People have died because of that, when the rear tire locks up unexpectedly in traffic, and Honda is facing several lawsuits. Serious engineering flaw. Bad Honda!

I admit that I like the NC750 too, but I prefer the now discontinued CTX700. Same engine as the NC700, but factory saddle bags and a more comfy seat (at least to me, Ive sat on both)

But the FJR is the one that really calls me. I've ridden all three generations, and Gen 2 has the features I like without the eletronic overkill. But I am sure I'd be happy with a low mileage Gen 1 if I found one... Or a Gen 3... Hey, Im not that picky! Lol

Thanks for your detailed reply!

CTX700

224a26749a52702f6f81830cf684fb4c.jpg


2012 FJR13000

c733be791582b529d818d69dd4fc118e.jpg
 
Back
Top