tires not equal worn out

TFR35_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
[attachment=8718]Good morning i'm the owner of a Honda CB 1100 EX since a couple of months. At this moment he has done 9.500 Km off which i drove 5000 km myself.I noticed that when i let the handlebars go they start to shake after a few seconds.Looking at the tires seems that the different surfaces aren't equal worn out. When you stroke the surface with your hands in doesn't feel even.Is this a known fact and is it dangerous ?(Cuppen)Difficult to take a picture of this but i tried anyway.
 
Cupping is pretty normal with the Dunlops. Not sure about the Bridgestones.

Here is a thread on it: Cupping front tire

If you use the search option, there are LOTS of thread on tires.

Edit to add: Welcome Tfr35!!
 
Also almost all motorcycles will head shake in deceleration between 50 mph and 40 mph if you let go of the bars. This has been happening for as long as I can remember, certainly when I was in the mc business from 1972-1989. Very common. Steering head bearing tension, tire pressure, road surface, weight distribution, wheel balance all play a part but the majority of them do it to some degree. Don't let go of the bars.
 
TFR35, first of all welcome, from Germany.
My stock Bridgestones had developed a head shake during deceleration, always between 60-65 km/h at around 8000 kms. Much of the front wheel rubber was gone anyway(there's a thread about that too) so I replaced both tires and there's no head shake now.
As ferret mentioned there are many factors involved, even including different oil levels in the forks, but i find uneven tire wear or cupping has the biggest influence, which, in turn, could be caused by again many factors like suspension, wheel imbalance or misalignment. I'm thinking it's best to replace the tire(s) and check the alignment and balance twice.
Last time I had my tires replaced I noticed that the "dot" on the tire was exactly on the opposite side of the valve and the guy said it doesn't matter. There were also 12(twelve) 5 gr weights on the valve side! I said OK, went home and performed a very crude balance check using the axle. The wheel swung like a grandma clock's pendulum. I removed the weights and ended up with two 5 gr weights on the opposite side...:)
Lesson learned, next time I get a bead breaker and an air compressor, which will cost me less than what they charged me for tire change and "balancing" :cool:
 
TFR35 groetjes vanuit Niew Zeeland en ook Houtman, wat een verrassing zeg, first congratulations on the new cb1100, hope you are enjoying the ride apart from the tyres, I suppose you have checked the pressure in them, it can make a difference in the wear pattern as well and if you still have the original bridgestone on the front you are doing well, i got my cb1100 with 7.500 km and a brand new road pilot 3, i did check and it did not shake at all whilst decelerating, the shake is not a fault as such like ferret mentioned before and the "cupping" depends from tyre to tyre, i had some shinko's on another bike and they actually wore uneven to the point that they made a sound going through the corner, still drove fine though, just one of those things.
Thanks for the inquiry, it's a good question and thanks for joining the forum!
 
Hi Max , are you Dutch or from Belgium ?
I left Holland in 1977 and moved to the UK and in 1985 the Dutch Company (Animal Feed ) send me to the USA.
I worked for Wessanen , great company !
 
Wessanen, yes pretty well known to me, i'm from Amsterdam and left for NZ in 1984, now in Auckland.
Would have really liked to go to the states but was just too hard without any contacts so packed the cb550 and came here, a bit more room to move around and not as wet all the time, cheers
 
I am from the Zaanstreek , born in Zaandam and lived in Jisp (NH)
I spend 12 months in Amsterdam's garrison when I did military service between 1970 and 1972 .
It was a great time in Amsterdam , I made Heineken what it is today !
 
This is your legacy then Houtman ...

3235b4d1f37d3a7bb7d9870414e2e9cc.jpg
 
Cormanus_imp said:
This is your legacy then Houtman ...

3235b4d1f37d3a7bb7d9870414e2e9cc.jpg
Cormanus, is this barrel self propelled, so can float to Canada as well ? :banana:
..let me know in advance please, so I can rent a spot for it with a local marina:P
:beerchug:
 
In October I start a 6 week beerology class in Ashevile , bought many books about beer and learned a lot about history in general as well.

If you are a drunk be at least be an educated drunk . (just kidding )
 
Good luck, TFR35. Let us know how they work out for you? And what you think of the tyres?
 
Thread starter
I've got the tires now for a few days and drove 300 km with them.They work out fine for me.
There is no more shaking of the handlebars and the tires give me more faith in driving.
 
That IS good news TFR!! Glad they did the trick!
 
Back
Top