Tire pressure

glynb_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey guys,

Long term owner and forum member here. I just had my front Bridgestone Battleax tire replaced today at only 4000 miles. The rear tire is in great shape. I'm concerned because the tire lasted so few miles. The wear pattern was even across the tire with no cupping.

Which leads me to tire pressure. I usually run 36 psi front and 42 psi rear. I was advised of the pressure from the dealer.

I know this is a dumb question but is that the right psi for the front tire? I know the max is 42 psi with a maximum load, but what psi do you guys run for a non loaded bike?
 
well is there no adhesive image on the rear swing...or info in the driver's handbook

i meant , normal are 3.9bar or 56psi in rear by that bike weight
 
alprider_imp said:
well is there no adhesive image on the rear swing...or info in the driver's handbook

i meant , normal are 3.9bar or 56psi in rear by that bike weight
56 is far too high , I run 42 for 220 lbs rider plus all the gear.
 
The owner's manual for my '14 calls for 36 front and 42 rear so I don't argue with that.
As a matter of fact, my '02 CB900F (919) also calls for the same pressures.
 
Besides the owner’s manual, there is a sticker on the frame neck that has the tire pressure settings. 36/42
 
The front bs wears out early because it only has 4/32 tread to begin with according to Bridgestone. If you replace when recommended at 2/32 that means you only get 2/32 of tread to use. THe rear bs has 9/32 tread.

Look up thread "Front tire replacement" by Longranger for particulars.
 
Thread starter
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm glad I was right with the tire pressure, and thanks for the info about the tread depth on the front tire.
 
My BT54 front tire was worn down to the wear bars at 7200 miles. There was plenty of tread left on the rear tire. Unfortunately I could find replacement BT54's so I went with BT45 replacements for both front and rear.

I check tire pressures before every ride and run 36 psi for the front and 42 for the rear.

I've got 6700 miles on the BT45's now and the front is starting to cup a bit so I'll probably raise the pressure to 38 to see if it smooths out. The rear tire is flattened on the crown so I guess I've been riding on strait roads too much. Tread depth is fine on both tires.

The BT45's have 4.2/32 inch tread depth on the front and the rear has 5.7/32 inch on the rear according to this site.
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
My BT54 front tire was worn down to the wear bars at 7200 miles. There was plenty of tread left on the rear tire. Unfortunately I could find replacement BT54's so I went with BT45 replacements for both front and rear.

I check tire pressures before every ride and run 36 psi for the front and 42 for the rear.

I've got 6700 miles on the BT45's now and the front is starting to cup a bit so I'll probably raise the pressure to 38 to see if it smooths out. The rear tire is flattened on the crown so I guess I've been riding on strait roads too much. Tread depth is fine on both tires.

The BT45's have 4.2/32 inch tread depth on the front and the rear has 5.7/32 inch on the rear according to this site.

Hey there Curly, a lot of numbers on that site and easy to go crossed eyed looking at the table of BT45 data ... the tread depth is:
Front - 6/32", and
Rear - 9/32"
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
curlyjoe_imp said:
My BT54 front tire was worn down to the wear bars at 7200 miles. There was plenty of tread left on the rear tire. Unfortunately I could find replacement BT54's so I went with BT45 replacements for both front and rear.

I check tire pressures before every ride and run 36 psi for the front and 42 for the rear.

I've got 6700 miles on the BT45's now and the front is starting to cup a bit so I'll probably raise the pressure to 38 to see if it smooths out. The rear tire is flattened on the crown so I guess I've been riding on strait roads too much. Tread depth is fine on both tires.

The BT45's have 4.2/32 inch tread depth on the front and the rear has 5.7/32 inch on the rear according to this site.

Hey there Curly, a lot of numbers on that site and easy to go crossed eyed looking at the table of BT45 data ... the tread depth is:
Front - 6/32", and
Rear - 9/32"

Hey there Curly, a lot of numbers on that site and easy to go crossed eyed looking at the table of BT45 data ... the tread depth is:
Front - 6/32", and
Rear - 9/32"

Thanks for the correction Aussieflyer. Read the wrong column! It’s tough getting old.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top