Tire Options for our CB1100

Ok, I understand now.
 
I know I'll be needing new rubber pretty shortly, and really not pleased I cant get my favored Michelins. Still not sure what I am going with.
 
81spartan_imp said:
JD2ride_imp said:
I went with Pirelli Angel GTs.
Forgot about this thread, just posted in the "What did you do to or on your CB1100" thread in General Discussions a few minutes ago.
Oh well...
You must have gotten the 160/60ZR18 size in the rear, correct? Isn't that tire a bit too wide for the CB1100 4.0" rim width?

How about the front -- did you stay with 110/80R18 or change to a 120/70R18?

Please let me know your thoughts on the ride and handling with your new rubber. Thanks.
You must have gotten the 160/60ZR18 size in the rear, correct? Isn't that tire a bit too wide for the CB1100 4.0" rim width?

How about the front -- did you stay with 110/80R18 or change to a 120/70R18?

Please let me know your thoughts on the ride and handling with your new rubber. Thanks.
As others with more usage have said, the 160/60 rear fits and works with no problems. I chose to stay with the 110/80 front over the 120/70 because I thought it would help on initial turn-in, feeling more like the oem. Maybe a bit quicker than the larger one. I didn't want to slow it down any, the CB is already very different feeling to me compared to my SV 650 and Tracer GT. I wasn't looking for sport bike handling from it.

Due to family issues, I only have 2 rides on the new shoes totaling about 125-ish miles. So far I like them a lot, much better than the old, oem Bridgestones. They felt sure footed in dry cornering on a ride I use as a shake down run for my bikes, and even felt good in the rain shower I got caught in on the way home. Of course, longevity is yet to be determined, but it's not really something I worry about.

And, welcome to the forum, tons of good info and good peeps here.
 
81spartan_imp said:
JD2ride_imp said:
I went with Pirelli Angel GTs.
Forgot about this thread, just posted in the "What did you do to or on your CB1100" thread in General Discussions a few minutes ago.
Oh well...
You must have gotten the 160/60ZR18 size in the rear, correct? Isn't that tire a bit too wide for the CB1100 4.0" rim width?

How about the front -- did you stay with 110/80R18 or change to a 120/70R18?

Please let me know your thoughts on the ride and handling with your new rubber. Thanks.
You must have gotten the 160/60ZR18 size in the rear, correct? Isn't that tire a bit too wide for the CB1100 4.0" rim width?

How about the front -- did you stay with 110/80R18 or change to a 120/70R18?

Please let me know your thoughts on the ride and handling with your new rubber. Thanks.

I just added the Angel GTs and upsized to the 160/60 ZR18 in the retained 110/80 R18 in the front. No fitment issues whatsoever, and handles great.

 
HikerToo_imp said:
I found the stock Bridgestones at Chaparral Motorsports last fall.
Free shipping

110/80R 18 BRIDGESTONE BT54 CB
Item# 330-0370 $99.88 USD
140/70R 18 BRDGESTONE BT54 CB1
Item# 330-0371 $129.88 USD
I had the BT54 radial tires and liked them, but I just got new Pirelli sport demon tires and absolutely love these tires. The bias ply tires are more comfortable and handle better that the radials.
 
Anyone try the new Avon RoadRider 2?

Curious if they’re better than the older RoadRider AM26 tires I have on my Bonneville. They are wearing very well but follow highway grooves like a slot car.
 
RLS_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
I found the stock Bridgestones at Chaparral Motorsports last fall.
Free shipping

110/80R 18 BRIDGESTONE BT54 CB
Item# 330-0370 $99.88 USD
140/70R 18 BRDGESTONE BT54 CB1
Item# 330-0371 $129.88 USD
I had the BT54 radial tires and liked them, but I just got new Pirelli sport demon tires and absolutely love these tires. The bias ply tires are more comfortable and handle better that the radials.
I had the BT54 radial tires and liked them, but I just got new Pirelli sport demon tires and absolutely love these tires. The bias ply tires are more comfortable and handle better that the radials. I am surprised that you find the bias tires handle better than the radials
 
Houtman_imp said:
RLS_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
I found the stock Bridgestones at Chaparral Motorsports last fall.
Free shipping

110/80R 18 BRIDGESTONE BT54 CB
Item# 330-0370 $99.88 USD
140/70R 18 BRDGESTONE BT54 CB1
Item# 330-0371 $129.88 USD
I had the BT54 radial tires and liked them, but I just got new Pirelli sport demon tires and absolutely love these tires. The bias ply tires are more comfortable and handle better that the radials.
I had the BT54 radial tires and liked them, but I just got new Pirelli sport demon tires and absolutely love these tires. The bias ply tires are more comfortable and handle better that the radials. I am surprised that you find the bias tires handle better than the radials
I had the BT54 radial tires and liked them, but I just got new Pirelli sport demon tires and absolutely love these tires. The bias ply tires are more comfortable and handle better that the radials. I am surprised that you find the bias tires handle better than the radials
They are not as stiff and they grip the road better. Of course my radials had 6k miles on them, so it just might be the noticeable difference of having new tires.
 
Quote:I just added the Angel GTs and upsized to the 160/60 ZR18 in the retained 110/80 R18 in the front. No fitment issues whatsoever, and handles great.
Any more pictures of the whole bike with these on?

Have any of you had any flak when getting these upsized tires installed? Last time I tried that (admittedly, 2013) a dealer flat out refused (and that was only 10mm up, not 20).
 
My didn’t dealer didn’t care at all. I ordered the tires at the dealer and when they came in I took the wheels in and they swapped the tires while I waited.

The only “flak” they ever gave is they will NOT plug a tire. Liability.
 
If you just take the wheel into the dealer they are more likely to put an oversize tire on the rim. When you take the whole bike they more likely refuse .
 
I just replaced the OEM Dunlop 205's (DCT Radials) with Pirelli Sport Demon Bias tires. The Pirelli's were significantly less costly. But most importantly to me was to find the ride quality was much better than the radials. Here our streets seem to be deliberately constructed with expansion joints that stand tall above the road surface and make for a jarring ride. The Pirelli's absorb them better than the Dunlop's did.

Handling and traction seemed to be good. I haven't been stuck in the rain yet so we shall see how they perform when that happens.
jim
 
I just looked at my rear tire after this morning's ride. Thought hmm, that's looking kinda thin, so went to my maint. log to see when I last put tires on... over 9,000 miles ago. Still can go another 1K to 1500 I think, but will need to order some replacements soon. Still have to call Michelin, but if I can't get them it looks like maybe Angel GT's for me as well. May go back to stock sizes if Pirelli has them. If not I'm ok with the oversize.
 
Ferret, the Angels only come in the 160/60 rear. The bias ply Sport Demon comes in OEM sizes.
 
I have about 300 miles on my new upsized Angel GTs and they've really transformed the bike. Went on a group ride Saturday, then around 30 miles with my wife riding pillion in the evening, then an extremely twisty 110 miles solo yesterday.

Had to keep reminding myself that the amount of confidence I was feeling with the new tires was likely in excess of my personal abilities (aka, slow down!). Obviously how long they last remains to be seen but I cannot fault the ride, grip, or handling thus far.

Between the 120f/160r as well as installing the narrower type II handlebars I was concerned about heavy steering, but if there has been a change it's not perceptible to me.

Speedometer is reading maybe ~3mph higher at 4k in 5th (stock tire size yielded 3.5k at 65mph, 4k at 70). Speed limiter kicks in at an indicated ~115 but my phone said top speed for yesterday's ride was 112.
 
your phone tells you how fast you are going? Amazing
 
Ferret, you can download a GPS app for that.
 
I highly, highly recommend the app Scenic. The navigation function is basically google's "avoid highways" option taken to the nth degree, and will also map your route and give you speed data afterwards.
 
I'm sure it's been answered, but will a 160 rear clear the center stand and everything else on a 2013? Really need to look at new tires at this point...
Thanks
Ha! Between the cars I drive that either have a broken speedometer or have had gears changed, different size tires, etc, A phone is about the only way I can figure out how fast I'm going. One of the apps I found projects the speed backwards, so if you put your phone on the dash, you get a redneck heads-up display in the windshield.
 
Back
Top