Tire Options for our CB1100

cheddarcheese_imp said:
I highly, highly recommend the app Scenic. The navigation function is basically google's "avoid highways" option taken to the nth degree, and will also map your route and give you speed data afterwards.
"Cali Moto" is similar but maps you're ride for you also and you can choose routes by how "twistie" you wanna ride. It tracks your lean angle, elevation, time, leaves a highlighted route on a map for everywhere you've gone, etc... I used it on my last phone for the first few trips we did from long island up to Maine, Vermont, and all. It's an awesome App for motorcycles. I've been to alot of cool places in the past we found by accident. Or took some road off the beaten path and wish I remembered how to find it again years later.. now I'll be able to.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
I know this is both counter-intuitive and unpopular opinion when it comes to the real wheel but,

Has anyone ever ran 130's at the rear?

I know most will say "you should stick to OEM 140 spec" but there seems to be lots of people running different sizes at the rear with no real issues(albeit wider, not thinner)

This is a GREAT tire I have used with success in the past, but unfortunately the widest they are made for 18" wheels is 130
https://www.ebay.com/itm/130-90-18-.../333593364637?vxp=mtr&hash=item4dabb6c89d

This is particularly tempting at this price point, but the thought/science behind running a thinner-than-OEM rear wheel is beyond me at this moment, hence I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this...
 
Houtman_imp said:
I did NOT see the tire in your link.....
John, do NOT look at her...tire, tire, tire is what you have to concentrate ON :P

....I am most certain that during your M exam you had male examiner, otherwise you would fail or crash :angel:
:beerchug:
 
E11even_Hunnit, I don't know enough about tyres to know the answer to this question, but, if the tyre is narrower, would you be able to get the bead to stick to the rim well enough?
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I did NOT see the tire in your link.....
John, do NOT look at her...tire, tire, tire is what you have to concentrate ON :P

....I am most certain that during your M exam you had male examiner, otherwise you would fail or crash :angel:
:beerchug:
John, do NOT look at her...tire, tire, tire is what you have to concentrate ON :P

....I am most certain that during your M exam you had male examiner, otherwise you would fail or crash :angel:
:beerchug: My Doctor is a very nice lady and I only go once a year after not going for a yearly medical for over 45 years , last time when at 22 I left militarily service in Holland and than for the first time at 68 because my wife "forced" me to go for a check up.
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
I know this is both counter-intuitive and unpopular opinion when it comes to the real wheel but,

Has anyone ever ran 130's at the rear?

I know most will say "you should stick to OEM 140 spec" but there seems to be lots of people running different sizes at the rear with no real issues(albeit wider, not thinner)

This is a GREAT tire I have used with success in the past, but unfortunately the widest they are made for 18" wheels is 130
https://www.ebay.com/itm/130-90-18-.../333593364637?vxp=mtr&hash=item4dabb6c89d

This is particularly tempting at this price point, but the thought/science behind running a thinner-than-OEM rear wheel is beyond me at this moment, hence I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this...
Howdy, I am not at a point of putting new tires on either of my CB's, put new ones n the 2013 last year when I bought it. I mentioned in this forum, it still had the original tires! I should have put a 150 at least on the rear, but being new to this bike, I went with OEM specs on Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires. They are V-rated and work just fine. But, it brings me back to the days on my 1972 CB175 with its skinny tires. I went to a bike junk yard, bought two rear shocks off an SL350, drilled my frame and put them on. Then I jumped from a 3.00 rear to a whopping 4.00 tire. Man this bike looked cool, and handled two people much better. I cannot find a good pix of it yet, so I put the only one I can find right now with my son from 1980. Big tires just looked cool back then, and still do. I am sure the larger footprint helps in braking, traction, etc... When I replace the rear on both CB's, I am going with a 150 on the EX and a 160 on the 2013, and keep the front stock OEM size. No laughing from my 80's hair cut....

2642c76ff85dc78724804ed2f8a9d465.jpg
 
I was taking a look yesterday and it seems the 130 Shinko will "fit" in there, the diminished/possible effects it may have is a whole other conversation. I made up my mind on staying away from trying something new this time with the rear tire. Will be ordering a set of Angel GT's and calling it a day.

Cool picture and haircut, thanks for sharing :rofl:
 
NovaCB1100_imp said:
cheddarcheese_imp said:
Quote:I just added the Angel GTs and upsized to the 160/60 ZR18 in the retained 110/80 R18 in the front. No fitment issues whatsoever, and handles great.
Any more pictures of the whole bike with these on?

Have any of you had any flak when getting these upsized tires installed? Last time I tried that (admittedly, 2013) a dealer flat out refused (and that was only 10mm up, not 20).
Any more pictures of the whole bike with these on?

Have any of you had any flak when getting these upsized tires installed? Last time I tried that (admittedly, 2013) a dealer flat out refused (and that was only 10mm up, not 20).
Sorry Cheddar, just saw this. The installer said it was a little more difficult but not too bad. He had a second set of hands.

Here are a few of the whole bike...
That is a really cool photo!
 
My Angel GTs shipped from Revzilla today with the $50 gift certificate. Woo Hoo, I can finally remove the specter of doom off of my shoulder from running my original equipment 2012 date code tires!
 
I would rather see you put a 130 than a 160. And if you do, please let me know how it goes and provide photos if possible. I have really considered it myself. Whereas, I would NOT put a 160 on it. It's my prerogative!

side note: I just replaced the Pirelli's on my Harley with Shinko's and have never been happier! All the performance of the Pirelli's for less than the cost of the Rear Pirelli!
 
Would be interested in hearing your opinion, if 140/rear is stock, why you would prefer 130 over 160, please. Tx

Shinko was used by our member Chuckk, '17CB, he may say a few words about this tire as well...
 
jimgl3_imp said:
I would rather see you put a 130 than a 160. And if you do, please let me know how it goes and provide photos if possible. I have really considered it myself. Whereas, I would NOT put a 160 on it. It's my prerogative!

side note: I just replaced the Pirelli's on my Harley with Shinko's and have never been happier! All the performance of the Pirelli's for less than the cost of the Rear Pirelli!
What Shinko did you got with?
 
peterbaron, I just don't like oversize tires. In my experience they eventually cause problems, at least potentially. whereas, undersized should pose no problems unless you riding like a squid...

E11even, rear is SE890 Journey front is 230 Tour Master. Pegs dragging (feeler screws removed) wet or dry, brake or gas, no problem! Amazing tires!!! I'm guessing around 9k miles like the Pirelli's. My lowrider (2018) has haunted the mirrors of many a sportbike on hwy's 19/129 and 60 in the N Ga. mountains...

5288ab3228d68dbba2a7afbaf7bc79f5.jpg
 
jimgl3_imp said:
peterbaron, I just don't like oversize tires. In my experience they eventually cause problems, at least potentially. whereas, undersized should pose no problems unless you riding like a squid...

E11even, rear is SE890 Journey front is 230 Tour Master. Pegs dragging (feeler screws removed) wet or dry, brake or gas, no problem! Amazing tires!!! I'm guessing around 9k miles like the Pirelli's. My lowrider (2018) has haunted the mirrors of many a sportbike on hwy's 19/129 and 60 in the N Ga. mountains...

5288ab3228d68dbba2a7afbaf7bc79f5.jpg
Why not get a matching set? is that a 110 or 120 front you'll be using

That Sportmaster 230 is indeed a great tire, inspires alot of confidence in all weather conditions. For a long minute, I actually considered running them on my CB(kinda still am) but have made up my mind for the most part, to go with the Angel GT's instead. I could not wrap my head around a 130 tire at the rear. Might be doable without any adverse effects but I find the stock 140 to be skinny as is..

Please do share your experience once they're installed

E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
I know this is both counter-intuitive and unpopular opinion when it comes to the real wheel but,

Has anyone ever ran 130's at the rear?

I know most will say "you should stick to OEM 140 spec" but there seems to be lots of people running different sizes at the rear with no real issues(albeit wider, not thinner)

This is a GREAT tire I have used with success in the past, but unfortunately the widest they are made for 18" wheels is 130
https://www.ebay.com/itm/130-90-18-.../333593364637?vxp=mtr&hash=item4dabb6c89d

This is particularly tempting at this price point, but the thought/science behind running a thinner-than-OEM rear wheel is beyond me at this moment, hence I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this...
 
they are installed. over 1000 miles wet and dry and they perform equal to the Pirelli Night Dragon. can't get matching pair in sizes for the 2018 FXLR in Shinko tires. front is a 110
has still no one tried Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp tires on the CB?
 
Just out of curiosity- What tire pressures are y'all running on the Angel GT's?

Considering they're wider, should I stick to the 36/42 PSI recommended by the manual on the stock 110/140?
 
Back
Top