Time for new boots

bigsheep_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hello All,

My first pair of riding boots may need a replacement. I am going to look into resoling and replacing the zipper, but I am also considering an additional pair to rest them when they get wet, etc...

What kind of boots do you have? What do you like/dislike about them? Do they fit the CB1100 stylistically? I prefer laceless for riding, the thought of a lace coming undone and getting caught in the chain is terrifying.
 
I wear Cortech Solution Waterproof boots. I believe there is a version 2.0 out now and mine are no longer made. Great boots with ankle and shin protection. Very comfortable when broken in. In fact, I wear them in the snow in the yard when such a thing occurs here. Had them 6-7 years and still have a couple years life left in them. I believe the price was around $120-150ish.
 
Four years ago I bought a pair of Alpinestars Roam boots on sale because I wanted something taller to keep the cold air off my shins. But they are so comfortable I wear them all summer. I was caught in the rain a couple of days this summer and they kept my feet dry.

They are not a clunky boot, so you can walk in them when necessary. They also make it easier to shift than large heavy boots. As they are all black, they just look like ordinary dress boots under a pair of jeans. They have three Velcro straps to fasten them, so there is no worry about laces coming free or catching on a side stand.

When they get dusty I just give clean them with Vaseline on a shop towel. After 40,000 kilometers of riding they still look good. If they ever wear out, I would definitely buy another pair.
 
A few years ago I bought the Daytona boots bought directly from Germany this saved me over $150 from buying in the USA.
They are by FAR the best boots I ever had.
 
Yeah, they look great. How do they take the wet?
 
Good question, Cormanus. I have very little data to go by, though. They’re a thick leather, so I have my doubts in an all-day ride in the rain. With our dry climate here, in four years I’ve only ridden through a few storms and never more than an hour, but for that light rain duty, they do quite well.
 
I prefer membrane not bcos rain...no bcos my sweatfoots....!

Only once did I think I have to save ... never again !
 
Rolls_imp said:
Good question, Cormanus. I have very little data to go by, though. They’re a thick leather, so I have my doubts in an all-day ride in the rain. With our dry climate here, in four years I’ve only ridden through a few storms and never more than an hour, but for that light rain duty, they do quite well.
Thanks Rolls. I've a suspicion that, unless leather is really well treated, water will eventually get through it. My boots fill up when confronted with serious and sustained rain, so I've given up and bought some waterproof overboots that seem to work pretty well.
 
http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/footwear/combat-touring-boots/aerostich-combat-lite-boots.html

I bought these about 10, 11 years ago when they were $267, so they've gone up a bit in price. I ride year round in Oregon where we get more rain than not in the winter, and my feet have yet to get wet or cold with these on. They are not the best to walk around in all day, but not a problem if into a store, to/from work desk, a short hike. But usually at work I switch into more comfy shoes. They are laceless and the the cam-clasps and drawstring work flawlessly, no problems getting on / off in quick fashion. I had them resoled about 5 years ago. I use the auqaseal leather treatment and that seals them nicely.

No problems braking / shifting on the CB1100.

I really like them and would buy another pair...maybe in another 10 years or so.
 
When I was in the same position last year I was all set to get a pair of Forma's since they came highly recommended for walking. But I bought these: Motorcycle Boots & Riding Shoes - Cycle Gear

Because I wanted the extra protection they offer. I have a pair of Sidi Adventure boots I've crashed in and they did extremely well. I rarely wear them as my feet have gone up in size which makes them hard to walk in.

I also have a pair of Tourmaster touring boots. I don't recall ever wearing them in a gully washer like the Sidi's have been through (which kept me dry). They are OK, they are not Sidi's.
 
I replaced my 12-year old Sidi On-Roads this year with a pair of Sidi Armada's. They are very comfortable, guaranteed waterproof for life (GoreTex), easy to ride in, and reasonably priced. I tried a few different sizes at my local dealer but found them online in Italy for $125 less than MSRP in the U.S. They arrived in a week.
 
I have often found that you can buy motorcycle gear much cheaper outside the USA .
For boots I bought Daytona GTX but needed them in a wide size , not available here ; bought them in Germany for a lot less .
Same with my Held gloves and rain pants , the right size at hundreds of $$$ less than from USA sellers.
 
dsan1964_imp said:
I have Alpinestar touring boot. Great boots. Rain ect..
I recommend Alpinestars too.
Back around 2008/09 Triumph motorcycle boots were made by Alpinestars. I bought a pair in 2009 and they have lasted very well and taken a lot of rain and abuse over the years.
 
I'm another fan of Alpinestars, and I'd definitely recommend features like waterproof & Gore-Tex. In my opinion, I think those two things are well-worth the price. Plus, like others have said, motorcycle boots seem to last a very, very long time. I bought mine in 2003, and they're still in great shape. For that reason, don't be afraid to spend a little extra on them if need be.
 
Back
Top