Time for new boots

Odd how hard it is to find the right boot. After a number of years my comfortable winter snow boots wore out. So I ordered the exact same boot on-line. Returned them for a refund because they hurt my big toes.

As there was no wider or bigger size available, I bought a pair that fit but were twice the price. I wore them once and the chaffed my skin above the ankle. The only thing that kept me from bleeding was my heavy socks. I tried to return them and they said they don't allow returns for comfort reasons. I told them firmly that a boot that scraps the skin off people is a design flaw and a health hazard. They gave me refund and suggested another boot. I left the store.

Two doors down was shoe store with a sale on. Took three tries, but I finally found a boot I could walk in without pain. Surprize! Surprize! They were made in Canada, not China.
 
Banned_imp said:
My search is over!!

It took some time but I finally found the boots i was looking for:
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/dainese-imola72-boots

It was more than I wanted to spend but they are literally the only boots I could find that met my criteria - full leather, side zip, armoured, with no "heel hook" (flat soled as possible) and no gor-tex liner.

Hey Big Sheep, sorry for hijacking your thread but I felt starting a new thread would be redundant. I hope you are having some success on your search for boots.
Those are nice looking boots. They appear to be very straightforward and relatively simple in their design (less to go wrong) while using quality materials.
Nortoon_imp said:
Odd how hard it is to find the right boot. After a number of years my comfortable winter snow boots wore out. So I ordered the exact same boot on-line. Returned them for a refund because they hurt my big toes.

As there was no wider or bigger size available, I bought a pair that fit but were twice the price. I wore them once and the chaffed my skin above the ankle. The only thing that kept me from bleeding was my heavy socks. I tried to return them and they said they don't allow returns for comfort reasons. I told them firmly that a boot that scraps the skin off people is a design flaw and a health hazard. They gave me refund and suggested another boot. I left the store.

Two doors down was shoe store with a sale on. Took three tries, but I finally found a boot I could walk in without pain. Surprize! Surprize! They were made in Canada, not China.
What boots did you end up with?
 
I'm a pretty simple guy and not very flashy - my motorcycles reflect this as well as pretty much everything I own. The one exception being my Trans Am.
 
Guth_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
My search is over!!

It took some time but I finally found the boots i was looking for:
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/dainese-imola72-boots

It was more than I wanted to spend but they are literally the only boots I could find that met my criteria - full leather, side zip, armoured, with no "heel hook" (flat soled as possible) and no gor-tex liner.

Hey Big Sheep, sorry for hijacking your thread but I felt starting a new thread would be redundant. I hope you are having some success on your search for boots.
Those are nice looking boots. They appear to be very straightforward and relatively simple in their design (less to go wrong) while using quality materials.
Nortoon_imp said:
Odd how hard it is to find the right boot. After a number of years my comfortable winter snow boots wore out. So I ordered the exact same boot on-line. Returned them for a refund because they hurt my big toes.

As there was no wider or bigger size available, I bought a pair that fit but were twice the price. I wore them once and the chaffed my skin above the ankle. The only thing that kept me from bleeding was my heavy socks. I tried to return them and they said they don't allow returns for comfort reasons. I told them firmly that a boot that scraps the skin off people is a design flaw and a health hazard. They gave me refund and suggested another boot. I left the store.

Two doors down was shoe store with a sale on. Took three tries, but I finally found a boot I could walk in without pain. Surprize! Surprize! They were made in Canada, not China.
What boots did you end up with?
What boots did you end up with?
I was referring to my Sport Walks Track winter boots that I wear to walk a snowy nature trail each day.

My motorcycle boots are Alpinestars Roam. They are also comfortable and waterproof, but the shallow tread would be treacherous in snow.
 
I have odd shaped feet: short, wide and very high insteps. Finding any shoes to fit is a bore. It took me a long time to find motorcycle boots that I could wear. I ended up with an Australian brand: RJays. They're 6 years old now and going OK, although they do fill up with water if it rains hard enough. Overboots have sorted that problem.
 
Thread starter
Still no new boots. To be honest though not much riding up here unless you're on an E-bike. I missed the Toronto Motorcycle show this weekend, had too many family plans to get there. But there are two more before riding season really gets rolling. I'll let you know what I get and how they work out when I can.
 
bigsheep_imp said:
Still no new boots. To be honest though not much riding up here unless you're on an E-bike. I missed the Toronto Motorcycle show this weekend, had too many family plans to get there. But there are two more before riding season really gets rolling. I'll let you know what I get and how they work out when I can.
In the early 80s my Ottawa Valley Touring Club used to hire a large bus and driver to go to the Toronto Motorcycle Show in March. It was always full, with those that missed the bus car pooling behind.

March is a snowy month in Ottawa, so it lifted our spirits to see the snow disappearing as we travelled. As Toronto has milder winters, it was not unusual to see motorcycles in the parking lot.

Back then new models being offered by the Japanese manufacturers almost every year, so there was always something new to see.

It was a great "road trip" and had everyone looking forward to the new riding season.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I have odd shaped feet: short, wide and very high insteps. Finding any shoes to fit is a bore. It took me a long time to find motorcycle boots that I could wear. I ended up with an Australian brand: RJays. They're 6 years old now and going OK, although they do fill up with water if it rains hard enough. Overboots have sorted that problem.
I didn't know it ever rained down there :angel:
 
Banned_imp said:
I'm a pretty simple guy and not very flashy - my motorcycles reflect this as well as pretty much everything I own. The one exception being my Trans Am.
The screaming chicken!! My dad owned one of those. I took my driver's test in it but I was gentle. The cop fell asleep - true story.
 
DAC_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
I'm a pretty simple guy and not very flashy - my motorcycles reflect this as well as pretty much everything I own. The one exception being my Trans Am.
The screaming chicken!! My dad owned one of those. I took my driver's test in it but I was gentle. The cop fell asleep - true story.
The screaming chicken!! My dad owned one of those. I took my driver's test in it but I was gentle. The cop fell asleep - true story.
I had always wanted a '77-78 Trans Am after seeing Smokey and the Bandit at my 8th birthday party in 1980 (who didn't?) but could never buy one as being in the Army you never know when or where you going to be living.

When I moved back home to retire I found out I couldn't afford a mint example '77 TA (I'm picky that way) but I had seen a 2002 Collector Edition Trans Am in 2011 and although I'm not a big fan of yellow I loved the look of it. I figured it was the best of both worlds - the last TA to be built and great performance (unlike late '70s models with +/-200hp).

Well only 300 came to Canada with about half being convertible (no good) so finding a mint t-top proved difficult, especially on the east coast. Finally in March 2016 one popped up 550km away with only 37,000km on it and absolutely spotless, I bought it immediately and sold my '73 LeMans and '77 Córdoba to pay for it. I had only bought them to fill in until I found my TA anyway.

Much like my CB1100, that car will be here until I am gone.

Oops, sorry - we now return you to your regular motorcycle programming.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I have odd shaped feet: short, wide and very high insteps. Finding any shoes to fit is a bore. It took me a long time to find motorcycle boots that I could wear. I ended up with an Australian brand: RJays. They're 6 years old now and going OK, although they do fill up with water if it rains hard enough. Overboots have sorted that problem.
I didn't know it ever rained down there :angel:
I didn't know it ever rained down there :angel:
:rofl:
 
Cormanus, I have a pair of Daytona Arrow Sport GTX boots that are a 3/4, Gore-Tex/waterproof for summertime. All the Daytonas are hand made in Germany, and use leather outers, not synthetic. The taller boot in the line would be the Roadstar GTX, also Gore-Tex/waterproof. I tried all sorts of boots, but I wanted leather, and I wanted CE rated. I found that the boots I have are quite waterproof, but also breath very well in the heat of the Texas summer. I also found that they fit slightly wider feet like mine a lot more comfortably than the typically narrower Italian/European ( other than Daytona ) boots. Supposedly Daytona boots are part of the BMW riders "uniform" in Europe, LOL. Daytona is very pricey, but durability, construction, finish, attention to detail, and protection is second to none in my humble opinion. Currently I am saving my pennies for a pair of the taller Roadstar GTX boots for cooler weather, and longer rides. I get all my gear from Revzilla.com , because of their very liberal return/exchange policies, but as others have pointed out there might be a savings from ordering them direct from Germany. Here is a link to the Daytona page at revzilla.com with pictures and video reviews of the Daytona boots: Daytona Boots | Premium Motorcycle Boots - RevZilla
 
Thanks 2017EX. I’ll certainly look at those when it’s time for new boots.
 
2017EX' pid='192139' dateline='1515876941 said:
Cormanus, I have a pair of Daytona Arrow Sport GTX boots that are a 3/4, Gore-Tex/waterproof for summertime. All the Daytonas are hand made in Germany, and use leather outers, not synthetic. The taller boot in the line would be the Roadstar GTX, also Gore-Tex/waterproof. I tried all sorts of boots, but I wanted leather, and I wanted CE rated. I found that the boots I have are quite waterproof, but also breath very well in the heat of the Texas summer. I also found that they fit slightly wider feet like mine a lot more comfortably than the typically narrower Italian/European ( other than Daytona ) boots. Supposedly Daytona boots are part of the BMW riders "uniform" in Europe, LOL. Daytona is very pricey, but durability, construction, finish, attention to detail, and protection is second to none in my humble opinion. Currently I am saving my pennies for a pair of the taller Roadstar GTX boots for cooler weather, and longer rides. I get all my gear from Revzilla.com , because of their very liberal return/exchange policies, but as others have pointed out there might be a savings from ordering them direct from Germany. Here is a link to the Daytona page at revzilla.com with pictures and video reviews of the Daytona boots: Daytona Boots | Premium Motorcycle Boots - RevZilla
[I ordered My Daytona boots directly from a German seller and saved $150 AND they had the wide size I needed./quote]
 
Cormanus, Went back through the thread and noted you need a wide size. The standard width Daytona boots that fit me, are something like a C-D width ( I wear a D or medium width in regular shoes ). However, Daytona is also one of the few manufacturers that also offer widths wider than D as well. Off hand, I actually cant think of any other brands that offer wide widths. Just like you, this was one of the problems I had when I was looking for boots until I tried the Daytonas. All the other brands I tried, many of which have been mentioned in this thread and are good boots, were too narrow for me. Another thing I discovered was that some of the other brands had higher toe boxes, which made it a bit clumsy trying to get underneath my shifter.
 
Thread starter
So I went with Nortoon and bought the Alpine Stars Roam 2.0. at $224 canadian with free shipping it seemed hard to go wrong. I read they are great but can get hot, I may get a pair with mesh panels for when things heat up in July or something more "track specific" but I have a few months of spring before I have to worry about that.
 
Back
Top