Thunderbirds Are Go

Houtman_imp said:
When our son lived in Scottsdale AZ we visited the state many times and loved the dessert in the right time of the year. We were looking to buy a place in Fountain Hills but then our son moved ! Moral of this : Do not follow your kids .
I was on a bike trip one time and stayed in a motel in northern Minnesota, I got to talking to the owner and his wife about how they ended up there (IIRC they were from India or maybe Pakistan) and they said both of their kids were going to college in that town so they bought the hotel to be close to the kids. In 4 years both kids graduated from college and took jobs in different parts of the US and they were stuck there running the motel. They gave the same advice: Do not follow your kids.
 
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
 
GO, I thought I was setting you up for the Maxwell Smart response, ‘I told you not to ask me that’. Interesting article. Thanks.

Stichill, thanks for your link too. Goes to show, almost anywhere has potential as a riding spot.
 
Rboe....You’re dead on about Dan. I enjoyed Kalal’s pictorial essays of the Great Plains/Midwest immensely. I just couldn’t deal with the drama of that site and asked that my membership be terminated. I drop in occasionally as a guest and always search for threads he initiates.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
GO, I thought I was setting you up for the Maxwell Smart response, ‘I told you not to ask me that’. Interesting article. Thanks.

Stichill, thanks for your link too. Goes to show, almost anywhere has potential as a riding spot.
Heh, heh, ... "The Dome of Silence". Huh, wha? Say again?

Sedona, AZ is special to a wide variety of people. Riding, of course, is extraordinary.
 
Frulk. I stopped going several years ago. You're spot on with the drama. It's a shame as there are some smart cookies there.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
Frulk_imp said:
Rboe....You’re dead on about Dan. I enjoyed Kalal’s pictorial essays of the Great Plains/Midwest immensely. I just couldn’t deal with the drama of that site and asked that my membership be terminated. I drop in occasionally as a guest and always search for threads he initiates.
I think what I'd enjoy would be the feeling of isolation and in some cases desolation. Some of the best places to ride a motorcycle are the places where everybody else...isn't.

Cormanus_imp said:
GO, I thought I was setting you up for the Maxwell Smart response, ‘I told you not to ask me that’. Interesting article. Thanks.

Stichill, thanks for your link too. Goes to show, almost anywhere has potential as a riding spot.
Especially if it's wide open without much in the way of traffic to ruin the fun!

Rboe_imp said:
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
He was right! This seems to be a bike whose appearance belies its true character.

I flew back in from Arizona last night and have to fly out again to Germany tomorrow, but at least I got some seat time on the Thunderbird today. It is an incredible machine and I had a blast! Bike ran and handled flawlessly.

bc472a0be68095b8c494612c11afc8a7.jpg





b04a228fd830db2b879f685cc90a1d41.jpg


c4f4ede8bc9e50be52cce8852a607931.jpg


e3d6b4281403269cd27de0be28ff8aec.jpg
 
How great is that? Have a feeling those KY roads are going to get a British work out when you return.

Have fun in Germany. Brian was just there 2 weeks ago, and loved it.
 
Thread starter
You know the feeling, ferret! All is right with the bike, the rider, and the road. I was literally laughing inside my helmet rolling down 22 and then onto 227 "the road with too many curves"! *

* Copyright The ferret

:excited: :celebrate: :biker:

P.S. Germany's great I just want to stay home and tinker with + ride my bike! Waaaahhh!
 
Stichill_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
Frulk_imp said:
Rboe....You’re dead on about Dan. I enjoyed Kalal’s pictorial essays of the Great Plains/Midwest immensely. I just couldn’t deal with the drama of that site and asked that my membership be terminated. I drop in occasionally as a guest and always search for threads he initiates.
I think what I'd enjoy would be the feeling of isolation and in some cases desolation. Some of the best places to ride a motorcycle are the places where everybody else...isn't.

Cormanus_imp said:
GO, I thought I was setting you up for the Maxwell Smart response, ‘I told you not to ask me that’. Interesting article. Thanks.

Stichill, thanks for your link too. Goes to show, almost anywhere has potential as a riding spot.
Especially if it's wide open without much in the way of traffic to ruin the fun!

Rboe_imp said:
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
He was right! This seems to be a bike whose appearance belies its true character.

I flew back in from Arizona last night and have to fly out again to Germany tomorrow, but at least I got some seat time on the Thunderbird today. It is an incredible machine and I had a blast! Bike ran and handled flawlessly.

bc472a0be68095b8c494612c11afc8a7.jpg





b04a228fd830db2b879f685cc90a1d41.jpg


c4f4ede8bc9e50be52cce8852a607931.jpg


e3d6b4281403269cd27de0be28ff8aec.jpg
I am sooooo (+1).

Stichill_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
Frulk_imp said:
Rboe....You’re dead on about Dan. I enjoyed Kalal’s pictorial essays of the Great Plains/Midwest immensely. I just couldn’t deal with the drama of that site and asked that my membership be terminated. I drop in occasionally as a guest and always search for threads he initiates.
I think what I'd enjoy would be the feeling of isolation and in some cases desolation. Some of the best places to ride a motorcycle are the places where everybody else...isn't.

Cormanus_imp said:
GO, I thought I was setting you up for the Maxwell Smart response, ‘I told you not to ask me that’. Interesting article. Thanks.

Stichill, thanks for your link too. Goes to show, almost anywhere has potential as a riding spot.
Especially if it's wide open without much in the way of traffic to ruin the fun!

Rboe_imp said:
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
He was right! This seems to be a bike whose appearance belies its true character.

I flew back in from Arizona last night and have to fly out again to Germany tomorrow, but at least I got some seat time on the Thunderbird today. It is an incredible machine and I had a blast! Bike ran and handled flawlessly.

bc472a0be68095b8c494612c11afc8a7.jpg





b04a228fd830db2b879f685cc90a1d41.jpg


c4f4ede8bc9e50be52cce8852a607931.jpg


e3d6b4281403269cd27de0be28ff8aec.jpg
Based on the video sound, the bike is sooo not annoying to the community. If I had to guess based on sound alone, I thought it was a Japanese bike. Some good karma.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
Frulk_imp said:
Rboe....You’re dead on about Dan. I enjoyed Kalal’s pictorial essays of the Great Plains/Midwest immensely. I just couldn’t deal with the drama of that site and asked that my membership be terminated. I drop in occasionally as a guest and always search for threads he initiates.
I think what I'd enjoy would be the feeling of isolation and in some cases desolation. Some of the best places to ride a motorcycle are the places where everybody else...isn't.

Cormanus_imp said:
GO, I thought I was setting you up for the Maxwell Smart response, ‘I told you not to ask me that’. Interesting article. Thanks.

Stichill, thanks for your link too. Goes to show, almost anywhere has potential as a riding spot.
Especially if it's wide open without much in the way of traffic to ruin the fun!

Rboe_imp said:
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
He was right! This seems to be a bike whose appearance belies its true character.

I flew back in from Arizona last night and have to fly out again to Germany tomorrow, but at least I got some seat time on the Thunderbird today. It is an incredible machine and I had a blast! Bike ran and handled flawlessly.

bc472a0be68095b8c494612c11afc8a7.jpg





b04a228fd830db2b879f685cc90a1d41.jpg


c4f4ede8bc9e50be52cce8852a607931.jpg


e3d6b4281403269cd27de0be28ff8aec.jpg
I am sooooo (+1).

Stichill_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
Frulk_imp said:
Rboe....You’re dead on about Dan. I enjoyed Kalal’s pictorial essays of the Great Plains/Midwest immensely. I just couldn’t deal with the drama of that site and asked that my membership be terminated. I drop in occasionally as a guest and always search for threads he initiates.
I think what I'd enjoy would be the feeling of isolation and in some cases desolation. Some of the best places to ride a motorcycle are the places where everybody else...isn't.

Cormanus_imp said:
GO, I thought I was setting you up for the Maxwell Smart response, ‘I told you not to ask me that’. Interesting article. Thanks.

Stichill, thanks for your link too. Goes to show, almost anywhere has potential as a riding spot.
Especially if it's wide open without much in the way of traffic to ruin the fun!

Rboe_imp said:
A Moto Guzzi owner and rider, Daniel Kalal, writes up these epic ride reports complete with photo's. He seems to be especially fond of the mid-west (Kansas, Nebrasks etc.) going through your small (or barely existing - some no longer existing) towns, staying and eating there. Simply amazing stuff. His tomes usually have a theme (old railroad route, old stage coach route, cool grain elevators). I think he's been on every dang road, paved or dirt, in the mid-west.

Then every so often he does the same thing in Europe (he keeps a bike and gear in Italy for just those occasions). Just checking on him on Facebook at he's using an EV to travel around the Canary Island. He travels very light, washing his clothes every night. I really miss his reports over on the guzzi forum. Once you've read one of his threads on his rides you won't think Kansas or Nebraska is boring.

About 4-5 years ago I was at the Triumph dealership kicking tires. Talked to a fellow that had bought a Thunderbird and he raved about the handling. He loved that bike. Lucky for me they no longer make it. :)
He was right! This seems to be a bike whose appearance belies its true character.

I flew back in from Arizona last night and have to fly out again to Germany tomorrow, but at least I got some seat time on the Thunderbird today. It is an incredible machine and I had a blast! Bike ran and handled flawlessly.

bc472a0be68095b8c494612c11afc8a7.jpg





b04a228fd830db2b879f685cc90a1d41.jpg


c4f4ede8bc9e50be52cce8852a607931.jpg


e3d6b4281403269cd27de0be28ff8aec.jpg
Based on the video sound, the bike is sooo not annoying to the community. If I had to guess based on sound alone, I thought it was a Japanese bike. Some good karma.
You're right, it's pretty polite. I think the phone camera mic sort of emphasizes treble and cuts bass. In real life there's less mechanical whine and more rumble. But it is not loud at all.
 
Stichill_imp said:
You know the feeling, ferret! All is right with the bike, the rider, and the road. I was literally laughing inside my helmet rolling down 22 and then onto 227 "the road with too many curves"! *

* Copyright The ferret

:excited: :celebrate: :biker:

P.S. Germany's great I just want to stay home and tinker with + ride my bike! Waaaahhh!
Is that even possible?

By the way, Stichill, in the way of the internet, your link to Rider magazine led me to this write up of riding around the island where I grew up, One Lap of Tassie: Two-Up Riding in the Antipodes | Rider Magazine
 
My understanding is Tasmania is a wonderful region to visit, and ride. Would love to try and visit one day.

Geared-up dude on the beach. Too funny.

- - -

BTW: I have three pairs of Blundstones. :)
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
You know the feeling, ferret! All is right with the bike, the rider, and the road. I was literally laughing inside my helmet rolling down 22 and then onto 227 "the road with too many curves"! *

* Copyright The ferret

:excited: :celebrate: :biker:

P.S. Germany's great I just want to stay home and tinker with + ride my bike! Waaaahhh!
Is that even possible?

By the way, Stichill, in the way of the internet, your link to Rider magazine led me to this write up of riding around the island where I grew up, One Lap of Tassie: Two-Up Riding in the Antipodes | Rider Magazine
Is that even possible?

:rofl: for me it is. I must be getting old.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
You know the feeling, ferret! All is right with the bike, the rider, and the road. I was literally laughing inside my helmet rolling down 22 and then onto 227 "the road with too many curves"! *

* Copyright The ferret

:excited: :celebrate: :biker:

P.S. Germany's great I just want to stay home and tinker with + ride my bike! Waaaahhh!
Is that even possible?

By the way, Stichill, in the way of the internet, your link to Rider magazine led me to this write up of riding around the island where I grew up, One Lap of Tassie: Two-Up Riding in the Antipodes | Rider Magazine
Is that even possible?
Not really, lol! But you be the judge:
Google Maps

Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
You know the feeling, ferret! All is right with the bike, the rider, and the road. I was literally laughing inside my helmet rolling down 22 and then onto 227 "the road with too many curves"! *

* Copyright The ferret

:excited: :celebrate: :biker:

P.S. Germany's great I just want to stay home and tinker with + ride my bike! Waaaahhh!
Is that even possible?

By the way, Stichill, in the way of the internet, your link to Rider magazine led me to this write up of riding around the island where I grew up, One Lap of Tassie: Two-Up Riding in the Antipodes | Rider Magazine
Wow, enchanting! Would be hard to leave that place!
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
You know the feeling, ferret! All is right with the bike, the rider, and the road. I was literally laughing inside my helmet rolling down 22 and then onto 227 "the road with too many curves"! *

* Copyright The ferret

:excited: :celebrate: :biker:

P.S. Germany's great I just want to stay home and tinker with + ride my bike! Waaaahhh!
Is that even possible?

By the way, Stichill, in the way of the internet, your link to Rider magazine led me to this write up of riding around the island where I grew up, One Lap of Tassie: Two-Up Riding in the Antipodes | Rider Magazine
Is that even possible?

:rofl: for me it is. I must be getting old.
:rofl: for me it is. I must be getting old.
:rofl:
 
Back
Top