Three in three. RIP.

LongRanger_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've never felt spooked by riding but we've had three fatal motorcycle accidents in the past three days. My girlfriend and I rode past the first one on Saturday -- a car pulled out from an intersection to enter a busy four-lane highway and never saw the Harley rider and his pillion rumbling down the road. When I rode past the scene, the helmetless rider was in a fetal position in the middle of the highway, being tended to by a first responder (emergency crews were still enroute). He died at the scene, and his passenger was life-flighted to the hospital. His wrecked bike was in a tangle in the middle of the road, the headlight still on, but hardly recognizable. I was quite shaken by the sight. Then another fatality on Sunday, and yet another one earlier today. Now I'm questioning how much I could get for my bikes in trade for a Miata. Someone please talk me off the ledge!
 
Honestly, the perspective provided from the ledge shouldn't be ignored. As far as I'm concerned, none of us can truly ride a mile in another guys boots so to speak. Take it in and evaluate it for what it's worth based on your own reality/situation. Existing in this world is complex and life is most likely always shorter than we'd like to think. Good luck with coming to a decision that you're truly comfortable with one way or the other.
 
My thoughts parallel Guth's.

I will add, though, that last summer there was a particularly gruesome motorcycle crash here in Chicago. Like your situation, it was one of at least two, and I think, three fatal bike crashes over a weekend. A couple of weeks later, I was recounting the one horrific accident to a riding friend of mine, probably for similar ledge-talking, and he said simply, "Dead is dead, my friend.". We all sort of laughed nervously at his accidental rhyme, but his point was well taken: we are all going to die. We might as well enjoy ourselves while we wait. I'm not sure that this is a helpful antecdote, but Glen's rhyme helps me from time to time.
 
I still remember the first time (and thankfully only time) I saw a motorcycle fatality in person. Summer of 2007, on my way up the NJ Parkway with a few of my younger cousins in the car, I was taking them to the Ocean City boardwalk for the night. Suddenly, we hit awful traffic...we crawled probably a mile or two at 5 mph.

When we eventually reached the problem area, I saw the accident scene: a sportbike had taken an entrance ramp a little too quickly, and lowsided right into oncoming traffic. On the roadway, there was a white sheet laid over the body, with an outline obviously being that of someone wearing a helmet and riding gear.
I later found out his name was Edison Lopez; you can still find his obituary online today. It's a name and scene I'll remember vividly for the rest of my life.

It freaked me out a bit, as I had just purchased my first bike a few years earlier, and my confidence level was not all that great yet.
Nonetheless, maybe that event has made me a better rider.

At the beginning of each riding season (if there is such a thing), I remind myself of the following fact:

There are people somewhere out there, right now, living normal lives just like me, that are going to die on a motorcycle this summer.
It has happened every summer since motorcycles were invented, and this year will very likely be no exception.
I could absolutely be one of those people; it's a risk we all accept....but I will do my absolute best to avoid such a fate.

Never, ever become complacent with your riding. Always SEE ahead....Search, Evaluate, Execute.
 
Of course I don't enjoy reading the stories nor watching the videos, but I force myself to so that I'm constantly thinking as I begin a ride, that this could be the day...the day when yet another person pulls out in front of me, or when I could loose concentration for a few seconds, or maybe when I could meet something coming around an up-coming curve. I enjoy riding like always but I know that keeping the what ifs in mind has helped me make better decisions.
 
When I took the MSF course five years ago as a new rider the instructors were a couple of old Harley bikers who really knew their stuff. As corny as it may sound they taught us to 'SEE' before every ride. I actually say it to myself (Search Evaluate Execute) aloud as I exit my neighborhood when starting my ride.
 
I though of this this weekend watching the moto gp in Barcelona. Lorenzo had a slow bike and was fighting for points and gets taken out by someone not paying attention.

You never know when its your time. I see auto accidents all the time and have had a few close calls in my car recently. The street is a dangerous place for motorcyclist. Caution and experience isn't always going to help.

We all don't have this option, I ride off peak, mid day weekdays or after rush hour and early morning on weekend.
 
I had an Air Force buddy / riding buddy who died of esophageal cancer. He smoked cigars, drank alcohol, and exercised once a year--during the annual PT test. All of those put him at a higher risk for cancer. But that's the way he lived. And died.

My point is that you can eliminate the risk of riding. But in the end, you're more likely to die of other things not related to riding. Statistically, heart disease and cancer are way more likely. I'll take up Pilates before I'll give up my bike.
 
In this "moderately sane" part of the world (low population) we've already had several motorcycle deaths and the season has barely begun.
I agree with Roper that we are more likely to meet an unfortunate end due to illness or simply run out of time.
 
The Vikings believed the length of your life was predetermined and when it was your time, it was your time. It helped them to believe that going into battle because they were either predetermined to die then which was their fate, or they would survive the fight.

That's sort of how I think about motorcycling. Fate determines when and how I am going to die.

If it's any consolation, we had 3 die in a car wreck here just last night, all at once. Being in a car is no guarantee fate is not going to come calling. Go enjoy yourself however you wish you will not live one minute longer. ( according to the Vikings)
 
The "what ifs" of any risk endeavor can become a thorn that steals the joy derived from that activity whether it be SCUBA diving, rock climbing or motorcycling. If the "thorn" becomes more than can be ignored maybe it's time to find another source of sensual pleasure.

Knowing what my future holds I have no fear of death itself but I fear death by degrees such as cancer and I fear injury that leaves permanent disability.

The decision to quit is a personal thing we all make at some point and there is no shame in it.
 
The past few years here in North Jersey I've noticed quite a few (like 4 or 5) motorcycle fatal crashes during the first spring week of nice weather. I don't know if it's riders with too much accumulated rust over the winter, or cage drivers not used to seeing bikes on the road for the past five months? From what info is made public, I put it at 60% one-vehicle (the M/C) crashes, and 40% where he struck or was struck by another vehicle.

I've crashed as a 16 yr old- just my bike and totally my fault. And in my mid 20s, totally not my fault- a dump truck turned left in my path- and around that time I also, while riding, came upon a serious M/C crash. Around then I questioned whether it was worth it to continue, but was determined not to quit.

I've been to some terrible crash scenes in my LEO career, but maybe because I had become numb to it all, I haven't questioned my decision to keep riding. Other people have, like my wife and son, but they remain supportive of my choice.
 
Check in everyday, just don't post a lot. This thread kind of hits close to home.

I bought my CB new in October 2013 after a 30 year riding absence. I had a lot of bikes in my youth (maybe even as many as Ferret!) and considered myself a better than average rider. In the first 6 mos I owned my CB, I had 3 near misses in traffic. But it was the third one that really spooked me. I came within inches of T-boning an old dodge pick-up that turned right in front of me. Locked the bike up, smoked the tires and had the wobbles so bad I knew I was going down. Took an evasive around the back of the truck, into the center lane of traffic and gratefully made it back home. The bike went into the garage and did not come back out for 8 weeks. I am now a approaching 3 years of ownership and the bike just turned 1800 miles. So after much thought, I've recently decided to sell my CB "garage ornament". Quite frankly, I still get the jeebies when I take my bike out onto a public street and have to deal with drivers that have absolutely no regard for anyone but themselves.
 
We don't live forever and we all take risks. Some are more acceptable than others and only we can decide which ones are worth living with and which ones are not. I've been very tempted to switch to four wheels again (the stick being the cell phone users, drunks and just plain idgits on our roads, the carrot being AC, better seats, heat, radio - and it quieter!).

On the other hand, the thought of riding to a rally in my 80's and 90's has a certain appeal. :D
 
ubelhjs_imp said:
Check in everyday, just don't post a lot. This thread kind of hits close to home.

I bought my CB new in October 2013 after a 30 year riding absence. I had a lot of bikes in my youth (maybe even as many as Ferret!) and considered myself a better than average rider. In the first 6 mos I owned my CB, I had 3 near misses in traffic. But it was the third one that really spooked me. I came within inches of T-boning an old dodge pick-up that turned right in front of me. Locked the bike up, smoked the tires and had the wobbles so bad I knew I was going down. Took an evasive around the back of the truck, into the center lane of traffic and gratefully made it back home. The bike went into the garage and did not come back out for 8 weeks. I am now a approaching 3 years of ownership and the bike just turned 1800 miles. So after much thought, I've recently decided to sell my CB "garage ornament". Quite frankly, I still get the jeebies when I take my bike out onto a public street and have to deal with drivers that have absolutely no regard for anyone but themselves.
I took three years off, after thirty years of riding/racing, and it took me three years (2013-present) and about 50,000 miles of riding -- plus about ten track days -- to get back to where I would consider myself competent. And where I live you have to be competent the instant you roll out of the driveway.

I think, if you've only done 1800 miles in three years, you may be making the right decision.

I have been thinking lately about what I'd do if I could not ride, assuming it was just a progression of age. Some of these cars out nowadays are pretty nice. I think I could be a car guy if I just could not ride any longer. Hopefully it will just be a progression of aging which leads to that decision.

It is true there are some people that just should not be on a motorcycle. I have known many of them. Many are now deceased. Most did not quit of their own accord.

I recall a large surge in women riders which happened in the late 1990s through the early 2000s. There was a pretty intense marketing effort in the industry at the time. However, the industry was not making bikes suitable for new/inexperienced riders. So these ladies were showing up on 600cc sportbikes, even 1000cc sportbikes, and many of them had a real "in-your-face" attitude, like "I am woman, hear me roar." I tried to caution some of them as to the hazards of riding but in every single case, was dismissed. In every single case, the lady crashed that very day. Thankfully none were seriously injured, although at least one received a helicopter ride. I held her hand and we waited rather anxiously for about an hour for the chopper to arrive.

This is not to disparage women riders, it is to illustrate that a marketing campaign that attracted a new demographic had unintended and unfortunate results.

These days the number of women riders I see is a fraction of what it was and they are quite a bit more competent.

One reason is the industry learned something, and finally is offering a huge selection of first bikes of light weight and low displacement, with ABS.

There is another option, and that is to obtain a motorcycle in the 300-500cc range such as Honda's CB/CBR series. KTM, Kawasaki, Yamaha, all make bikes in this range. Yamaha's FZ-07 is also a fantastic choice but I'd not call that a beginner's bike.

The CB1100 is just too much motorcycle for riders who aren't ready for it. You might try going to a CB500 ABS, putting in a few thousand miles, and see where it leads.
 
I agree the decision to ride is an individual one. However, the aftermath is a family one. If you choose to ride make sure you have lots of insurance for the family and it's up to date. Also you have a will, power of attorney and living will. Motorcycle competency is only part of the equation.
and, no, I'm not an insurance agent or attorney.
 
There is no doubt motorcycles are inherently dangerous. Small errors can lead to bigger consequences than in cars.

Airplanes are also inherently dangerous. You just can’t stop, turn off the motor and get out...you have to LAND it somewhere! ;-)

I’m not sure how I cope with it but I think I tend to just block it out. Maybe once bitten twice shy, but I’ve never been bitten hard so I’m still doing it.

I remember having the same anxious feeling I used to have when flying my Cessna 172. The more I thought about it on the ground the more nervous I got. I used to get the FAA crash reports and try to avoid the mistakes of others. The strange thing, almost all were the perfect storm of seemingly insignificant incidents when considered separately but when put together just right were fatal accidents.

But despite the risks every time I went down that runway and left the ground, my fears instantly disappeared.

Had to sell my plane, but I think what I heard is true. When WWII pilots returned to the states after the war, motorcycles became popular because riding was as close as they could get to flying without having an airplane.

So I’m still flying, just on a cheaper machine ;-)

I try not to think about death, if I did I would dwell on the more than 7,000 people that die every single day in the USA. An amazing statistic no one talks about...Center for Disease Control -2003….http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

But then again, maybe I do, I just try to be at peace with the inevitable and just hope I don’t become a burden to my family.

Btw...ubelhjs….didn’t know there was another CB1100 in my neighborhood….if you change your mind and want to going riding….pm me
 
My wife's ex husband and his girlfriend were T-boned by a van last night. He has several broken bones and head trauma. She didn't fair as well as they are draining her brain and trying to save her right leg. She hasn't woken up yet.

The van ran a stoplight.

Be careful out there my friends.
 
The life expectancy of marathon runners is 7 years longer than the average adult. Of course, they spend that 7 years RUNNING.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
There is no doubt motorcycles are inherently dangerous. Small errors can lead to bigger consequences than in cars.

Airplanes are also inherently dangerous. You just can’t stop, turn off the motor and get out...you have to LAND it somewhere! ;-)

I’m not sure how I cope with it but I think I tend to just block it out. Maybe once bitten twice shy, but I’ve never been bitten hard so I’m still doing it.

I remember having the same anxious feeling I used to have when flying my Cessna 172. The more I thought about it on the ground the more nervous I got. I used to get the FAA crash reports and try to avoid the mistakes of others. The strange thing, almost all were the perfect storm of seemingly insignificant incidents when considered separately but when put together just right were fatal accidents.

But despite the risks every time I went down that runway and left the ground, my fears instantly disappeared.

Had to sell my plane, but I think what I heard is true. When WWII pilots returned to the states after the war, motorcycles became popular because riding was as close as they could get to flying without having an airplane.

So I’m still flying, just on a cheaper machine ;-)

I try not to think about death, if I did I would dwell on the more than 7,000 people that die every single day in the USA. An amazing statistic no one talks about...Center for Disease Control -2003….http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

But then again, maybe I do, I just try to be at peace with the inevitable and just hope I don’t become a burden to my family.

Btw...ubelhjs….didn’t know there was another CB1100 in my neighborhood….if you change your mind and want to going riding….pm me
I flew for a while, about 40 hours of instruction, so I know a little about aircraft and flying, I guess. Always liked flying. Got 30 minutes logged as co-pilot in a B-25 as I was very interested in WWII-era machines and just had to do it. What a plane. 3400 horsepower.

That nervous feeling, I have it before track days, but lately I've noticed that the instant I put a wheel on the hot pit exit and open the throttle, that feeling vanishes completely.

If that nervousness and anxiety persist while one is actually riding the bike, no arguments, no debate. Park it. Confidence is what we want, not the shakes.

You want to keep riding, find a way to build your confidence gradually. Get a smaller bike and ride in quiet areas for a while. Gradually ease into the more challenging stuff.
 
Back
Top