Thousand Mile Report

thessler3_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just a few opinions after the first 1000 miles on my left-over 2013 CB1100: Note that I have owned about 30 bikes of all types over the last 50 years and am now 66 years old and was looking for a bike to ride a bit slower than my Aprilia Tuono V4, which I sold. My riding style is "pretty fast, but no longer Wildman".

I am pretty happy with the CB1100 - it is happy to be ridden moderately on the winding, bumpy back roads that I ride. Throttle response is excellent, it is mechanically very quiet and looks great. Good riding position. Easy to mount accessories. Front brakes excellent, rear brake mediocre. Pretty compliant suspension. Shifts very good up, downshifting is notchy. Seat is better than most sport bikes I owned (see below) but others suggest it can be improved. Handling is pretty good with quick turn-in, which I like. Easy to service - I did 600 mile service myself. Averaging about 50MPG on regular. Tires will last a lot longer than my sport-bikes 3000 miles.

Negatives - a bit buzzy at certain speeds. Mine buzzes the tank a bit at around 3000RPM and 55 MPH - unfortunately a range that is used often. Smooths out at 70MPH. This is not a bike that encourages you to go fast like the Tuono, Speed Triples or Ducatis I have owned. I do miss the hotrod feeling they seemed to ooze and the exhaust sound of the V2 and V4 bikes. Perhaps a slip-on would change that. I have an Arrow in my future. Wish it had 17" wheels for more tire choices.

Overall, my CB1100 is very good, especially for the $7877 I paid for it out the door. It does fulfill my desire to find a bike that works on the backroads I ride on at saner speeds than my previous hot-rod bikes. Did I mention it looks great!
 
Great summery, they are mild mannered beauties.
I know it's illegal, but I noticed a BIG drop in the buzz when running my summer 10w-40 oil.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Are there gloves out there specifically designed for vibe reduction?
Yes, there are gloves with gel padded palms. I have a pair, but I dont really feel any vibes on the CB 1100. I wore them when riding my 650 Yamaha twins. You want vibes ? LOL
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
Are there gloves out there specifically designed for vibe reduction?
I put a pair of Grab-On foam grip covers on mine. They're made of a dense closed cell foam and the slip right over the stock grips. It takes a few rides to get used to the fatter grips, but they work pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Grab-On-Cover-1-25-1-45Od-Mc401/dp/B00JOPC58C/

BTW, I agree with Ferret that the CB11 vibes are nothing to write home about, especially when compared to your average twin.
 
Buzz has either attenuated as she breaks in or I'm getting use to it. Not sure which, but it's better, 1500 miles.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Great summery, they are mild mannered beauties.
I know it's illegal, but I noticed a BIG drop in the buzz when running my summer 10w-40 oil.
The factory service manual does give the OK for running 10W-40 in warm weather conditions. Uh oh, hope we haven't started another dreaded oil thread.
 
I have a couple pairs of gel-palmed summer gloves by Olympia that I wear, but I don't find the CB all that buzzy anyway. Joe Rocket also has them and probably many others do too.
 
When new, I got a buzz from 2500 on. Now, with a whopping 652.4 miles on the motor, the buzz is only noticeable in the 3-4k range. Mostly through the tank, but a bit through the grips once in a while. When it starts to annoy me, I just find a two-stroke or single to ride for a bit. The CB gets remarkably smooth after that. Oh - and sadly the forbidden oil hasn't brought any reductions in buzz for me...yet.
 
Interesting. I noticed that the grips on the CB1100 were quite a bit smaller than on the Shadow, so it shouldn't take much time for me to adjust (should I decide to go that route).
 
Thread starter
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I am not sure why there is a concern with 10W40 oil. I switched to 10W40 at the 600 mile checkup and followed the recommendations in the owner's manual. I have been using it in my Gold Wing since 2003 with no issues. Older Gold Wings do NOT recommend using synthetic. Note that I think my CB1100 vibes actually increased slightly after the oil change. I did add close to 300 miles this past weekend and the engine is a bit smoother after that ride. I have Grip Puppies and do not feel it in the bars, just the tank and it is not terribly bad - just a minor annoyance.

All in-line 4 cylinder engines have substantial second-order vibration. See my earlier posts for a technical explanation. On the CB1100, Honda has done a decent job quelling them with a balancer shaft and one rubber engine mount. Some other I4's are a lot worse. Still not as smooth as a CBX or Gold Wing. I am a bit spoiled from having a few bikes that were smoother, but I like riding the CB.
 
Thessler..prior to 2007 Honda recommended 10w 40 for its 4 stroke engines. After Jan 1 2007 Honda recommends 10w 30 for its 4 stroke engines. Not sure why the change, but its true. ( see highlight on Honda oil recommendation chart below)

Not saying 10/40 will hurt your motor ( I use 10/40 in my 2006 ST 1300 which is what Honda recommends) but the owner of a 2007 ST 1300 is advised to use 10/30



If you feel confident using 10w40 by all means do so.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Thousand mile report becomes oil thread, again :D

I know..stinks right? Lol

Just the facts m'am, just the facts
 
The ferret_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Thousand mile report becomes oil thread, again :D

I know..stinks right? Lol

Just the facts m'am, just the facts

I know..stinks right? Lol

Just the facts m'am, just the facts

I might try some of this mythical 10w-40 stuff, I heard it makes you pull enormous wheelies and attracts women and wild animals to your garage?
 
Back
Top