Thoughts on racks and top boxes

DutchRutter

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hello CB experts,

I just installed my new SW-Motech Saddle bags. The bags seem to be more designed around the DLX then the Standard but its still fine. The bags will most likely be used for commuting to and from work and most solo riding.

I do want to add more luggage and a passenger backrest for two up trips. At first I was planning on the Shadow sissy bad and a tail bag. But the idea of removing/adding that whole assembly every time kind of killed that idea. Now I am thinking a Givi SR1118 rack, which would give me back my rear grab bar when the box is off, and a Givi E300NT2 Monolock top case with the back rest.

I figured going with the SR1118 because its the rear rack that from what I can tell in pictures would interfere with the saddle bags the least. The bags sit pretty flush with the seat and don't leave a lot of room between the side caps.

As for the box, I'm really just guessing. I tend to not like big bulky things but at the same time, on longer trips more space then less is appreciated. Maybe a Givi V40NTA Monokey or a little larger would be better.

I am not very familiar with bike luggage so that's why I'm here asking you all. Opinions are welcome, what do you think?

Here is a shot of the CB with the new bags to give an idea on why the particular rack is what I'm leaning to. I REALLY like these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802762969050.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
But I don't think they'll work too well with the saddlebags.

bf00e5bfe52704936f75c93aab35fbda.jpg
 
For me personally, I'm a fan of easily removable soft rear bags. The grab bars give you plenty of places to strap bags on. The same sort of thing works with a rear rack, but to be honest, the CB1100 isn't ideally suited in my opinion for 2 up long-distance travelling. I'm completely happy with the bags on the rear end of the seat, and I'm not stuck with the looks of the rack when I'm riding locally. It even acts as a nice back rest which is nice on longer trips. I usually strap a small tail bag to the top of the larger bag so that when I arrive at the destination, I take the big bag off and just use the small tail bag when riding around at the destination. And both of the bags remove in less than a minute.

 
tommymck_imp said:
For me personally, I'm a fan of easily removable soft rear bags. The grab bars give you plenty of places to strap bags on. The same sort of thing works with a rear rack, but to be honest, the CB1100 isn't ideally suited in my opinion for 2 up long-distance travelling. I'm completely happy with the bags on the rear end of the seat, and I'm not stuck with the looks of the rack when I'm riding locally. It even acts as a nice back rest which is nice on longer trips. I usually strap a small tail bag to the top of the larger bag so that when I arrive at the destination, I take the big bag off and just use the small tail bag when riding around at the destination. And both of the bags remove in less than a minute.
All CB1100s should look that good.
 
I’ve the givi sr1118 rack with a 360 monolock top case in my 15 DLX.
I’d thing that said setup, together with soft side bags would be good enough for two up weeks travel
 
Thread starter
Classico_imp said:
I’ve the givi sr1118 rack with a 360 monolock top case in my 15 DLX.
I’d thing that said setup, together with soft side bags would be good enough for two up weeks travel
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Tommy, I have to echo what everyone else has already said. You have one jaw dropping CB. I do agree for longer 2-up trips the CB isn't ideally suited. At this time My "longer trips" consist of <400 miles round trip. I do think when we start leaving the state on a bike, we'll need to be looking at a second bike.

I am curious Classico, with the 360 monolock. Is it pretty sturdy on the rack? or does it kind of flex around with normal use?
 
I’ve got the Givi rack and three Monokey boxes. An E36 for daily commuting when I’m just carrying my food and small stuff. A V47 when I need to carry larger items. This box is also plenty for a three day trip (just me).

I have a V40 as well that I got for a deal. Big enough for a helmet, but since its in between my other two I rarely use it.

All are very sturdy and I think the larger of the two can be fitted with a back rest. I used the mount plate to fit an auxiliary brake light.
 
I've "toured" on the '13 with just a tank bag and a waterproof duffle bag. On the '14 I've added a full Givi hard saddle bags and top case (with and without the tank bag).

On other bikes I've used mostly soft bags (not as secure nor as waterproof) using the original Eclipse bags, Giant Loop Great Basin (that thing is a hoot! need to try it again), Wolfman panniers, Ortlieb panniers and Moto Guzzi bags for the Griso (kinda small - Ortliebs were a better choice).

All in all I prefer softbags (but not by a large margin) but I've changed from a rabid tank bag fan to a top case fan. it's really nice to have something to lock things up in (like your helmets if you leave room for it). With so many popular products out there peoples' tastes (and budgets) seem to be all over the place. Good luck!
 
Interesting to watch the recently posted Fred Is On The Move videos. He’s touring on his 1100 with what looks like a pretty neat and simple duffel bag arrangement.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Interesting to watch the recently posted Fred Is On The Move videos. He’s touring on his 1100 with what looks like a pretty neat and simple duffel bag arrangement.

Where can one find the videos that you mention? Thanks!
 
Thread starter
Thanks all!

I went ahead and ordered up a Givi SR1118 and the B360NTA 36l box with the backrest pad. 90% of the time I'll be running the empty rack with my saddle bags. Then when going on the fun sporty rides, I'll strip off the bags and go naked, and when we tackle some 2up miles I'll probably load it all up or just run the box depending on how long and where we are going.

The soft bags from SW-Motech so far have been great, smaller profile but enough space and expandable if/when I need it. I was not a big fan of relocating my rear turn signals but the end result has been worth it. I do wish the bag's Velcro strap did not extend past the back of the seat like they do, but that is a pretty small complaint.

The lady should feel better having a backrest and I'll feel better not getting crowded into the tank. Now I just have to wait for the backordered SR1118 to show up. Then the only other thing I want to get for it is an arrow slip on.

Here are some more pictures of the bike waiting for me while at work.
de2a1e83bb966565b8e02228ca38cef2.jpg

95a0e6224a2216e87711889712e00149.jpg

bb5bfa57cb4d9c14c13a9a5c23d9455a.jpg
 
DutchRutter_imp said:
Thanks all!

I went ahead and ordered up a Givi SR1118 and the B360NTA 36l box with the backrest pad. 90% of the time I'll be running the empty rack with my saddle bags. Then when going on the fun sporty rides, I'll strip off the bags and go naked, and when we tackle some 2up miles I'll probably load it all up or just run the box depending on how long and where we are going.

The soft bags from SW-Motech so far have been great, smaller profile but enough space and expandable if/when I need it. I was not a big fan of relocating my rear turn signals but the end result has been worth it. I do wish the bag's Velcro strap did not extend past the back of the seat like they do, but that is a pretty small complaint.

The lady should feel better having a backrest and I'll feel better not getting crowded into the tank. Now I just have to wait for the backordered SR1118 to show up. Then the only other thing I want to get for it is an arrow slip on.

Here are some more pictures of the bike waiting for me while at work.
de2a1e83bb966565b8e02228ca38cef2.jpg

95a0e6224a2216e87711889712e00149.jpg

bb5bfa57cb4d9c14c13a9a5c23d9455a.jpg
I have similar bags from SW-Motech and found that things were tidier with the velcro straps routed under the seats for what it's worth. The pic below shows with the vintage style seat, but it works just as well with the stock seat on my 2017 at least.

 
DutchRutter_imp said:
Classico_imp said:
I’ve the givi sr1118 rack with a 360 monolock top case in my 15 DLX.
I’d thing that said setup, together with soft side bags would be good enough for two up weeks travel
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Tommy, I have to echo what everyone else has already said. You have one jaw dropping CB. I do agree for longer 2-up trips the CB isn't ideally suited. At this time My "longer trips" consist of <400 miles round trip. I do think when we start leaving the state on a bike, we'll need to be looking at a second bike.

I am curious Classico, with the 360 monolock. Is it pretty sturdy on the rack? or does it kind of flex around with normal use?
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Tommy, I have to echo what everyone else has already said. You have one jaw dropping CB. I do agree for longer 2-up trips the CB isn't ideally suited. At this time My "longer trips" consist of <400 miles round trip. I do think when we start leaving the state on a bike, we'll need to be looking at a second bike.

I am curious Classico, with the 360 monolock. Is it pretty sturdy on the rack? or does it kind of flex around with normal use?
Havent used it that much yet, but it’s a tight fit, no flex for the time being
 
Thread starter
tommymck_imp said:
DutchRutter_imp said:
Thanks all!

I went ahead and ordered up a Givi SR1118 and the B360NTA 36l box with the backrest pad. 90% of the time I'll be running the empty rack with my saddle bags. Then when going on the fun sporty rides, I'll strip off the bags and go naked, and when we tackle some 2up miles I'll probably load it all up or just run the box depending on how long and where we are going.

The soft bags from SW-Motech so far have been great, smaller profile but enough space and expandable if/when I need it. I was not a big fan of relocating my rear turn signals but the end result has been worth it. I do wish the bag's Velcro strap did not extend past the back of the seat like they do, but that is a pretty small complaint.

The lady should feel better having a backrest and I'll feel better not getting crowded into the tank. Now I just have to wait for the backordered SR1118 to show up. Then the only other thing I want to get for it is an arrow slip on.

Here are some more pictures of the bike waiting for me while at work.
de2a1e83bb966565b8e02228ca38cef2.jpg

95a0e6224a2216e87711889712e00149.jpg

bb5bfa57cb4d9c14c13a9a5c23d9455a.jpg
I have similar bags from SW-Motech and found that things were tidier with the velcro straps routed under the seats for what it's worth. The pic below shows with the vintage style seat, but it works just as well with the stock seat on my 2017 at least.
I have similar bags from SW-Motech and found that things were tidier with the velcro straps routed under the seats for what it's worth. The pic below shows with the vintage style seat, but it works just as well with the stock seat on my 2017 at least.
That does look better. I'll have to try routing them underneath this week.
Thanks for the tip.
 
Back
Top