Thought I was done with the CB - trying again (forks)

PowerDubs_imp said:
I just put the bike on the center stand and weight on the seat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I did too, I used the two sand bags I have for ballast for my sidecar.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
So, just to clarify, NO mistake please, 2017 forks will perfectly fit 2014 without any further/additional mods, just a simple swap, correct ??.
Thanks.
Perfect fit on my 2014 Dlx.
 
Curious to know which is cheaper? Adreani adjustable fork inserts or the 2017 forks. Anyone know? I bought the inserts before the 2017 came out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I think that with the Adreani's you can not go back to stock as you have to ' grind ' of a ridge on the old forks to make them fit.
 
DBM_imp said:
Does anyone have a picture or illistration showing the 2014 damper rods? Im thinking about drilling the compression holes slightly bigger, and running 15 wt. fork oil with the spring preload full stiff. This should free up the compression to help with the harshness on bumps and slow down the rebound to control the stiff spring setting. Which holes are the compression control and which holes are the rebound control?
Hey DBM,
the larger holes towards the bottom of the damper rod control compression damping, in conjunction with the oil weight of course. The smaller holes towards the top of the damper rod serve for rebound damping.
I don't know of anyone who has had success messing around with enlarging the holes. Although it will alter the effective damping it won't correct the 'bad' behaviour whereby there is not enough damping for slow bumps and too much damping for fast bumps. Fitting emulators requires the compression holes in the damping rod to be enlarged so that the emulator takes full control of the damping through its smaller holes plus the spring release mechanism. Rebound then becomes adjustable simply by altering the fork oil weight. This is definitely the least expensive method to create an adjustable front end that actually behaves like a much more expensive set of forks. If you're interested in how they work the folks at Racetech have a great technical description on their web site:

http://racetech.com/HTML_FILES/DampingRodForks.HTML
Houtman_imp said:
I think that with the Adreani's you can not go back to stock as you have to ' grind ' of a ridge on the old forks to make them fit.
Yep, but they are worth the commitment.
here's a link to a post where I have loosely explained the process:

Suspension Upgrade
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
Does anyone have a picture or illistration showing the 2014 damper rods? Im thinking about drilling the compression holes slightly bigger, and running 15 wt. fork oil with the spring preload full stiff. This should free up the compression to help with the harshness on bumps and slow down the rebound to control the stiff spring setting. Which holes are the compression control and which holes are the rebound control?
Hey DBM,
the larger holes towards the bottom of the damper rod control compression damping, in conjunction with the oil weight of course. The smaller holes towards the top of the damper rod serve for rebound damping.
I don't know of anyone who has had success messing around with enlarging the holes. Although it will alter the effective damping it won't correct the 'bad' behaviour whereby there is not enough damping for slow bumps and too much damping for fast bumps. Fitting emulators requires the compression holes in the damping rod to be enlarged so that the emulator takes full control of the damping through its smaller holes plus the spring release mechanism. Rebound then becomes adjustable simply by altering the fork oil weight. This is definitely the least expensive method to create an adjustable front end that actually behaves like a much more expensive set of forks. If you're interested in how they work the folks at Racetech have a great technical description on their web site:

http://racetech.com/HTML_FILES/DampingRodForks.HTML
Houtman_imp said:
I think that with the Adreani's you can not go back to stock as you have to ' grind ' of a ridge on the old forks to make them fit.
Yep, but they are worth the commitment.
here's a link to a post where I have loosely explained the process:

Suspension Upgrade
Hey DBM,
the larger holes towards the bottom of the damper rod control compression damping, in conjunction with the oil weight of course. The smaller holes towards the top of the damper rod serve for rebound damping.
I don't know of anyone who has had success messing around with enlarging the holes. Although it will alter the effective damping it won't correct the 'bad' behaviour whereby there is not enough damping for slow bumps and too much damping for fast bumps. Fitting emulators requires the compression holes in the damping rod to be enlarged so that the emulator takes full control of the damping through its smaller holes plus the spring release mechanism. Rebound then becomes adjustable simply by altering the fork oil weight. This is definitely the least expensive method to create an adjustable front end that actually behaves like a much more expensive set of forks. If you're interested in how they work the folks at Racetech have a great technical description on their web site:

http://racetech.com/HTML_FILES/DampingRodForks.HTML
Houtman_imp said:
I think that with the Adreani's you can not go back to stock as you have to ' grind ' of a ridge on the old forks to make them fit.
Yep, but they are worth the commitment.
here's a link to a post where I have loosely explained the process:

Suspension Upgrade Thank you Ausse. The harshness felt on bumps with the stock forks is from too much compression damping, right?
 
chync_imp said:
Curious to know which is cheaper? Adreani adjustable fork inserts or the 2017 forks. Anyone know? I bought the inserts before the 2017 came out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much is your time worth? I did the fork swap in about 1 hour, but evidently I am pretty slow compared to other guys who have performed the swap. My time is worth a lot to me, and it just wasn't worth all the time and effort trying to make the stoke forks better.
 
I have the Adreani inserts and they are fantastic but I had a suspension tech build them. It was more expensive than the 2017 forks I believe.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
chync_imp said:
Curious to know which is cheaper? Adreani adjustable fork inserts or the 2017 forks. Anyone know? I bought the inserts before the 2017 came out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much is your time worth? I did the fork swap in about 1 hour, but evidently I am pretty slow compared to other guys who have performed the swap. My time is worth a lot to me, and it just wasn't worth all the time and effort trying to make the stoke forks better.
How much is your time worth? I did the fork swap in about 1 hour, but evidently I am pretty slow compared to other guys who have performed the swap. My time is worth a lot to me, and it just wasn't worth all the time and effort trying to make the stoke forks better.
I agree with you totally! I've spent a lot of time and effort trying to get the stock forks to a point where I enjoy the ride.

Guess what? I think that moment happened this morning.

Once Tom and I had pulled the Race Tech fork valves and changed back to the heavier Race Tech valve springs, it all felt right!

I am pleased that we were able to adjust the ride to where it works for me.

However, if the 2017 fork solution would have been available (or known) when I started working on the stock forks, I probably would have installed the 2017 forks (although I have no idea how they would work for me ...... it would have been done simply because Honda changed over to the the Showa Dual Bending Valves for a reason.) And I suspect the reason was that the stock shocks on pre-2017 CB1100s didn't provide a compliant ride for those of us in the 160# weight range. Especially on bad roads.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know what we did to make the ride more compliant for you light weights that ride a 2014, drop me a line,

Regards,

Bob
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
Glad to see all the effort you put into improving your ride comfort coming together.
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.

I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.

Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.

I believe we have arrived!

Bob
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
Glad to see all the effort you put into improving your ride comfort coming together.
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.

I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.

Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.

I believe we have arrived!

Bob
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.

I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.

Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.

I believe we have arrived!

Bob Are you going with thicker oil to slow down the rebound? What fork springs do you have? What preload setting?
 
Thread starter
DBM_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
Glad to see all the effort you put into improving your ride comfort coming together.
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.

I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.

Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.

I believe we have arrived!

Bob
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.

I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.

Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.

I believe we have arrived!

Bob Are you going with thicker oil to slow down the rebound? What fork springs do you have? What preload setting?
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.

I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.

Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.

I believe we have arrived!

Bob Are you going with thicker oil to slow down the rebound? What fork springs do you have? What preload setting? Yes ...... Race Tech informed me that heavier fork oil (with their suggested mods) would not affect compression damping, but that it would affect rebound damping. The most recent setup is fine re compression damping, but slightly under-damped on the rebound. Not bad, but slightly obvious.

However, I will say that all the blood sweat and tears expended on this project have finally resulted in a bike that I enjoy riding. Initially, the combination of our less than stellar roads, my weight of 160 pounds, and the somewhat stiff stock suspension caused me to leave the bike in the garage in favor of the BMW or Moto Guzzi. I think now that the 'little' Honda that carries its weight so low might be first choice for most of my shorter day rides. She's sweet!

I'm running Race Tech's .80 fork springs, which are rather soft, but just fine on our beat to pieces secondary roads.

We opted to run the fork cap preload settings all the way to four lines showing.

Of more significance, we tweaked the static sag settings to 30mm by lengthening the PVC spring spacers. Initially, static sag was at 45mm. So, having the fork cap adjusters all the way out leaves 12-13mm of preload that can be added if necessary.
 
I can only assume we have the same kit in our forks, i don't think you named it so I wont although I love those guys
I have .95 springs and im 250 lbs and mine is awesome. I do think I could go in there and add a little preload to the valve and slow down that initial compression but I just haven't done it yet
good to here you are all set up
on a side note
I took off my rear progressive 490 shocks and installed on my new Bonneville
after the first ride back on the cb I thought I was gonna die so looks like I need to buy another set of shocks
CRAP this stuff gets expensive
 
gtmn_imp said:
I can only assume we have the same kit in our forks, i don't think you named it so I wont although I love those guys
I have .95 springs and im 250 lbs and mine is awesome. I do think I could go in there and add a little preload to the valve and slow down that initial compression but I just haven't done it yet
good to here you are all set up
on a side note
I took off my rear progressive 490 shocks and installed on my new Bonneville
after the first ride back on the cb I thought I was gonna die so looks like I need to buy another set of shocks
CRAP this stuff gets expensive
What's wrong with the stock shocks?
 
DBM_imp said:
gtmn_imp said:
I can only assume we have the same kit in our forks, i don't think you named it so I wont although I love those guys
I have .95 springs and im 250 lbs and mine is awesome. I do think I could go in there and add a little preload to the valve and slow down that initial compression but I just haven't done it yet
good to here you are all set up
on a side note
I took off my rear progressive 490 shocks and installed on my new Bonneville
after the first ride back on the cb I thought I was gonna die so looks like I need to buy another set of shocks
CRAP this stuff gets expensive
What's wrong with the stock shocks?


For me- same as the forks. Jarring impacts over expansion joints, potholes, etc. Especially with a passenger. A set of Ikons are much more comfortable.
 
Thread starter
Still happy with recent fork mods. Putting the miles on the CB. No long trips, but she's been good for closer-to-home shorter day rides of 70-100 miles. Did over 180 miles a few days ago. The Ikons and fork tweaking have made this bike a rider for me. She sat for much of 2017, while I rode the Beemer and Guzzi. Now, she is a sweet, compliant little machine. I can't help but call it 'little,' since the bike weighs approx as much as my Guzzi 1200 Sport, but feels way lighter and less top heavy. She may be the right bike for me at my age.

Must mention, however, the old 1991 R100 GS will be returning soon from the factory-trained BMW tech's shop, to compete for saddle time, with lots of stuff rebuilt and replaced. She'll see a bunch of miles, too, in 2019! A beautiful ride for nearly 160,000 miles.

Life is good!

Bob
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
Glad to see all the effort you put into improving your ride comfort coming together.
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.

I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.

Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.

I believe we have arrived!

Bob
Well done Ohiorider! You've got something tuned to your weight and how you ride on the roads you ride ... much more satisfying than just buying a ready made alternative.
 
Thread starter
Aussieflyer_imp said:
ohiorider_imp said:
Frulk_imp said:
Glad to see all the effort you put into improving your ride comfort coming together.
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.

I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.

Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.

I believe we have arrived!

Bob
Well done Ohiorider! You've got something tuned to your weight and how you ride on the roads you ride ... much more satisfying than just buying a ready made alternative.
Well done Ohiorider! You've got something tuned to your weight and how you ride on the roads you ride ... much more satisfying than just buying a ready made alternative. One thing yet to do, according to Matt Wiley of RaceTech. Rebound damping is slightly light. When I informed Matt I was running 10W Honda fork oil (with their mods) he suggested 15 or 20w. Apparently heavier oil doesn't affect compression damping with the bored out damper rods and RaceTech valves, but it does control rebound damping.

That's a next spring project. I'm so happy that my CB, with Ikons on the rear and Race Tech on the front, now works for me.

Had her out today for a short run of 75 miles, over my favorite roads. Loved it. And now with 6500 miles showing, the engine and tranny feel so much better to me. Of course, some of that is probably due to the fact that I'm getting used to the Honda way of making bikes.

She's sweet!

Bob
 
Back
Top