Banned_imp
Been there
That's what I did too, I used the two sand bags I have for ballast for my sidecar.PowerDubs_imp said:I just put the bike on the center stand and weight on the seat.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
That's what I did too, I used the two sand bags I have for ballast for my sidecar.PowerDubs_imp said:I just put the bike on the center stand and weight on the seat.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect fit on my 2014 Dlx.peterbaron_imp said:So, just to clarify, NO mistake please, 2017 forks will perfectly fit 2014 without any further/additional mods, just a simple swap, correct ??.
Thanks.
Hey DBM,DBM_imp said:Does anyone have a picture or illistration showing the 2014 damper rods? Im thinking about drilling the compression holes slightly bigger, and running 15 wt. fork oil with the spring preload full stiff. This should free up the compression to help with the harshness on bumps and slow down the rebound to control the stiff spring setting. Which holes are the compression control and which holes are the rebound control?
Yep, but they are worth the commitment.Houtman_imp said:I think that with the Adreani's you can not go back to stock as you have to ' grind ' of a ridge on the old forks to make them fit.
Hey DBM,Aussieflyer_imp said:Hey DBM,DBM_imp said:Does anyone have a picture or illistration showing the 2014 damper rods? Im thinking about drilling the compression holes slightly bigger, and running 15 wt. fork oil with the spring preload full stiff. This should free up the compression to help with the harshness on bumps and slow down the rebound to control the stiff spring setting. Which holes are the compression control and which holes are the rebound control?
the larger holes towards the bottom of the damper rod control compression damping, in conjunction with the oil weight of course. The smaller holes towards the top of the damper rod serve for rebound damping.
I don't know of anyone who has had success messing around with enlarging the holes. Although it will alter the effective damping it won't correct the 'bad' behaviour whereby there is not enough damping for slow bumps and too much damping for fast bumps. Fitting emulators requires the compression holes in the damping rod to be enlarged so that the emulator takes full control of the damping through its smaller holes plus the spring release mechanism. Rebound then becomes adjustable simply by altering the fork oil weight. This is definitely the least expensive method to create an adjustable front end that actually behaves like a much more expensive set of forks. If you're interested in how they work the folks at Racetech have a great technical description on their web site:
http://racetech.com/HTML_FILES/DampingRodForks.HTML
Yep, but they are worth the commitment.Houtman_imp said:I think that with the Adreani's you can not go back to stock as you have to ' grind ' of a ridge on the old forks to make them fit.
here's a link to a post where I have loosely explained the process:
Suspension Upgrade
Yep, but they are worth the commitment.Houtman_imp said:I think that with the Adreani's you can not go back to stock as you have to ' grind ' of a ridge on the old forks to make them fit.
How much is your time worth? I did the fork swap in about 1 hour, but evidently I am pretty slow compared to other guys who have performed the swap. My time is worth a lot to me, and it just wasn't worth all the time and effort trying to make the stoke forks better.chync_imp said:Curious to know which is cheaper? Adreani adjustable fork inserts or the 2017 forks. Anyone know? I bought the inserts before the 2017 came out.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much is your time worth? I did the fork swap in about 1 hour, but evidently I am pretty slow compared to other guys who have performed the swap. My time is worth a lot to me, and it just wasn't worth all the time and effort trying to make the stoke forks better.Dave_imp said:How much is your time worth? I did the fork swap in about 1 hour, but evidently I am pretty slow compared to other guys who have performed the swap. My time is worth a lot to me, and it just wasn't worth all the time and effort trying to make the stoke forks better.chync_imp said:Curious to know which is cheaper? Adreani adjustable fork inserts or the 2017 forks. Anyone know? I bought the inserts before the 2017 came out.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.Frulk_imp said:Glad to see all the effort you put into improving your ride comfort coming together.
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.ohiorider_imp said:The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.Frulk_imp said:Glad to see all the effort you put into improving your ride comfort coming together.
I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.
Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.
I believe we have arrived!
Bob
The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.DBM_imp said:The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.ohiorider_imp said:The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.Frulk_imp said:Glad to see all the effort you put into improving your ride comfort coming together.
I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.
Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.
I believe we have arrived!
Bob
I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.
Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.
I believe we have arrived!
Bob Are you going with thicker oil to slow down the rebound? What fork springs do you have? What preload setting?
What's wrong with the stock shocks?gtmn_imp said:I can only assume we have the same kit in our forks, i don't think you named it so I wont although I love those guys
I have .95 springs and im 250 lbs and mine is awesome. I do think I could go in there and add a little preload to the valve and slow down that initial compression but I just haven't done it yet
good to here you are all set up
on a side note
I took off my rear progressive 490 shocks and installed on my new Bonneville
after the first ride back on the cb I thought I was gonna die so looks like I need to buy another set of shocks
CRAP this stuff gets expensive
DBM_imp said:What's wrong with the stock shocks?gtmn_imp said:I can only assume we have the same kit in our forks, i don't think you named it so I wont although I love those guys
I have .95 springs and im 250 lbs and mine is awesome. I do think I could go in there and add a little preload to the valve and slow down that initial compression but I just haven't done it yet
good to here you are all set up
on a side note
I took off my rear progressive 490 shocks and installed on my new Bonneville
after the first ride back on the cb I thought I was gonna die so looks like I need to buy another set of shocks
CRAP this stuff gets expensive
Well done Ohiorider! You've got something tuned to your weight and how you ride on the roads you ride ... much more satisfying than just buying a ready made alternative.ohiorider_imp said:The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.Frulk_imp said:Glad to see all the effort you put into improving your ride comfort coming together.
I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.
Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.
I believe we have arrived!
Bob
Well done Ohiorider! You've got something tuned to your weight and how you ride on the roads you ride ... much more satisfying than just buying a ready made alternative. One thing yet to do, according to Matt Wiley of RaceTech. Rebound damping is slightly light. When I informed Matt I was running 10W Honda fork oil (with their mods) he suggested 15 or 20w. Apparently heavier oil doesn't affect compression damping with the bored out damper rods and RaceTech valves, but it does control rebound damping.Aussieflyer_imp said:Well done Ohiorider! You've got something tuned to your weight and how you ride on the roads you ride ... much more satisfying than just buying a ready made alternative.ohiorider_imp said:The bike felt really nice after we re-jiggered the Race Tech Valves on Sept 12th, 2018, with their mid-weight springs. I'd already swapped out the OEM shocks for Ikons, but it was the forks that were beating me up. We'll probably pop the forks one more time (per advice from Race Tech tech dept) and replace the Honda 10 wt fork oil with either 15w or 20w ... probably try 15w first.Frulk_imp said:Glad to see all the effort you put into improving your ride comfort coming together.
I am happy that I've finally made peace with the CB1100. The stock suspension beat me up on our less than stellar secondary roads where I like to ride. I think the bike will now work for me.
Since the bike was purchased for $6995.00 in April of 2017, I felt like this budget-priced bike was worthy of a few extra $$ and some time being thrown at it to make it work for me.
I believe we have arrived!
Bob