Think it's fixable?

Alain Lee_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Left turners, the bane of motorcyclists everywhere
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
The same thing happened to me a few years ago on an XR650, just got a broken finger but bike totaled. I have a black 2014 with 9k miles I might be interested in selling. It’s going into Burger’s on Rte 202 on Tuesday for a service.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I'd say it is totaled.

I would NOT try to repair it- neither by them / shop or yourself.

I *would* ask once it is totaled what they want for 'buy back'

Unfortunately many of the parts won't fit a '14- but some never changed.

Check to see if the cyl head looks damaged. Check the gas tank for dents / scratches.

If those are OK- and the buy back is cheap-cyl head, tank, fuel pump, throttle bodies, starter are all worth something..
Even damaged parts may have more of a value than you think. Example: a dented gas tank (if the underside is unharmed) can easily be used for somebody's new-paint-job project. It may no longer be worth 1500$ (org Honda price) but still be worth 600-700. Honda's spare parts being so expensive, this may well work.
 
As a basis for estimating value, I sold my2013 two months ago for $7,500. To the first person who looked at it, forthe price Iad ertised, with two more firm buyers hoping the first would walk away.

Good luck!
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Left turners, the bane of motorcyclists everywhere
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
"I thought there was an app on my phone that tells me when I have to look up" (As wished by every distracted driver, but admitted by none.)
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Left turners, the bane of motorcyclists everywhere
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
"I thought there was an app on my phone that tells me when I have to look up" (As wished by every distracted driver, but admitted by none.)
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
"I thought there was an app on my phone that tells me when I have to look up" (As wished by every distracted driver, but admitted by none.)
It’s called “SMIDSY”.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Left turners, the bane of motorcyclists everywhere
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
They have no real excuse other than the old saying look where you are going, so they are anticipating the turn and looking in that direction, with only a precursory glance at what's coming toward them. If it's not as large as a car (like a motorcycle), they don't immediately recognize it.

If someone coming at you looks like they are going to turn left, flash your lights, do the weave and cover your brakes. IMO (and as proven by studies) a white helmet and high viz vest help also.

BTW here's a new threat for us

MSN
 
Thread starter
Olyrider_imp said:
As a basis for estimating value, I sold my2013 two months ago for $7,500. To the first person who looked at it, forthe price Iad ertised, with two more firm buyers hoping the first would walk away.

Good luck!
This is very useful. Do you happen to have a link to the ad that still might work or pic? Anything I could submit to insurance to show the market?

Thanks
 
The ferret_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Left turners, the bane of motorcyclists everywhere
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
They have no real excuse other than the old saying look where you are going, so they are anticipating the turn and looking in that direction, with only a precursory glance at what's coming toward them. If it's not as large as a car (like a motorcycle), they don't immediately recognize it.

If someone coming at you looks like they are going to turn left, flash your lights, do the weave and cover your brakes. IMO (and as proven by studies) a white helmet and high viz vest help also.

BTW here's a new threat for us

MSN
I'd also use extra attention to those newer and faster generation electric scooters now apparently occupying road lanes as well curb lanes and sidewalks. These un-plated, unregulated motorized vehicles can do a motorcycle rider some serious harm. Many seem to swerve out from nowhere, and then disappear again.
 
Unfortunately very true, in this part of the world they are plated, but the lack of attention of these guys is often remarkable.
 
If the insurance sells the bike back to you if it's a Junking Certificate - that is not a title and getting it titled might still be able to be done - but it will be a slog and the options open to me about three years ago may not be available to you. A salvage title would be "easy" to work with.

If you plan to rebuild it and the frame can not be saved talk to a dealer, new frames may still be available - the serial number of the old frame is transferred to the new frame (from my experience in Arizona - your mileage may vary).

I think strong arguments can be made to scrap the bike or save it. It depends upon your attachment to it and how much disposable income you can toss at the project. I'd encourage you to go either way..... :D

Glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were. A similar accident over 30 years ago caused me (with other factors taken into account) put me off bikes for about 25 years.
 
Frames pop up on Ebay- but for most bikes, if they have a title (which you WILL want) they are $1,000+ and you have to trust they are 'straight' which I would not- since they are coming from parted out bikes- I'd imagine most are crashed.

At best- check the sellers history and see what other parts they are selling.
 
Tom_imp said:
d347066fc29f382bae45fc83928cd5b9.


I hope the pic uploads.

Anyone think the car driver's insurance company will pay to fix this or total it? I can't find a 2013 standard on sale anywhere if they total it. Hope they settle on enough to buy a 2014. The rarity of our bikes does not make me feel good about this. I walked away banged up and sore and very thankful this was a short car I could fly over.
I glad you walked away ok. I've have had a front end bang like that in the past, bent forks and got it back on the road. Mind you it was a bit of a ratty GS550 but new forks and away I went, no insurance involved. Used parts were in abundance back then so it didn't break the bank. I didn't come off so well though, knocked out and a week in hospital with severe concussion but we live and learn. Hope it works out ok for you.
I glad you walked away ok. I've have had a front end bang like that in the past, bent forks and got it back on the road. Mind you it was a bit of a ratty GS550 but new (used) forks and away I went, no insurance involved. Used parts were in abundance back then so it didn't break the bank. I didn't come off so well though, knocked out and a week in hospital with severe concussion but we live and learn. Hope it works out ok for you.
 
Tom_imp said:
d347066fc29f382bae45fc83928cd5b9.


I hope the pic uploads.

Anyone think the car driver's insurance company will pay to fix this or total it? I can't find a 2013 standard on sale anywhere if they total it. Hope they settle on enough to buy a 2014. The rarity of our bikes does not make me feel good about this. I walked away banged up and sore and very thankful this was a short car I could fly over.
Tom, talk to a lawyer. The shouldn't charge to take the case and you won't pay anything. If they can't make anything on it, they should tell you they won't take it, and you can take what the insurance offers. BUT, if they can help you get a better deal, they will and you will get enough to buy a very nice bike and forget about trying to fix this bike at your own expense.
I am not a lawyer, but I have had two accidents where I have done this and come away with a lot better deal than if I just left it to my insurance company. You have nothing to lose.
 
After that much damage it will never be the same. You could work on it for a long time and never have it function like it used to. Best to put down old yeller I'm afraid.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Left turners, the bane of motorcyclists everywhere
Deer are also the bane...and left-turning deer?? forget about it.
[/QUOTE]


:):):)
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Left turners, the bane of motorcyclists everywhere
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
They have no real excuse other than the old saying look where you are going, so they are anticipating the turn and looking in that direction, with only a precursory glance at what's coming toward them. If it's not as large as a car (like a motorcycle), they don't immediately recognize it.

If someone coming at you looks like they are going to turn left, flash your lights, do the weave and cover your brakes. IMO (and as proven by studies) a white helmet and high viz vest help also.

BTW here's a new threat for us

MSN
I'd also use extra attention to those newer and faster generation electric scooters now apparently occupying road lanes as well curb lanes and sidewalks. These un-plated, unregulated motorized vehicles can do a motorcycle rider some serious harm. Many seem to swerve out from nowhere, and then disappear again.
I'd also use extra attention to those newer and faster generation electric scooters now apparently occupying road lanes as well curb lanes and sidewalks. These un-plated, unregulated motorized vehicles can do a motorcycle rider some serious harm. Many seem to swerve out from nowhere, and then disappear again.

Human error! (And much ignorance.) A lot of people are getting hurt on those things!

I'm a cyclist and biker who lives in a place that still has no laws regarding texting and driving. Dangerous, dangerous, poop.
Here's a fun story...

The other night I was driving home (in a car) and set to make a left turn in my neighborhood, when a guy on a OneWheel ripped through the intersection, then stopped to curse me for almost hitting him.

He was wearing a full-face moto helmet and yelled that he's a pedestrian and has the right-of-way. (...riding the wrong way on a one-way street when he came to the intersection.)

I tried to tell him. I tried to say that he's not a pedestrian, that he should ride with traffic as though he's a bicycle or motorcycle. I tried to say he needs to be predictable. He was anything but when he lifted his shirt and put his hand on a pistol.

Yadda yadda, no one was hurt.

.
To the OP, sorry, man. I'm glad you're well and able to ride again. Don't sweat your decision too much, for you can always make new choices later. And yes, you'll likely fare better with a lawyer. Best of luck...
 
The ferret_imp said:
what is a one wheel?

A single-wheeled electric vehicle using gyroscopic tech, like a Segway. A number of companies make them in many varieties.

I'd have send a pic if I'd figured out the forum's file size workaround.
 
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Left turners, the bane of motorcyclists everywhere
Deer are also the bane...and left-turning deer?? forget about it.


:):):)
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Left turners, the bane of motorcyclists everywhere
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
What are real cause(s) of left turners except for the " I did not see you excuse"?
They have no real excuse other than the old saying look where you are going, so they are anticipating the turn and looking in that direction, with only a precursory glance at what's coming toward them. If it's not as large as a car (like a motorcycle), they don't immediately recognize it.

If someone coming at you looks like they are going to turn left, flash your lights, do the weave and cover your brakes. IMO (and as proven by studies) a white helmet and high viz vest help also.

BTW here's a new threat for us

MSN
I'd also use extra attention to those newer and faster generation electric scooters now apparently occupying road lanes as well curb lanes and sidewalks. These un-plated, unregulated motorized vehicles can do a motorcycle rider some serious harm. Many seem to swerve out from nowhere, and then disappear again.
I'd also use extra attention to those newer and faster generation electric scooters now apparently occupying road lanes as well curb lanes and sidewalks. These un-plated, unregulated motorized vehicles can do a motorcycle rider some serious harm. Many seem to swerve out from nowhere, and then disappear again.

Human error! (And much ignorance.) A lot of people are getting hurt on those things!

I'm a cyclist and biker who lives in a place that still has no laws regarding texting and driving. Dangerous, dangerous, poop.
Here's a fun story...

The other night I was driving home (in a car) and set to make a left turn in my neighborhood, when a guy on a OneWheel ripped through the intersection, then stopped to curse me for almost hitting him.

He was wearing a full-face moto helmet and yelled that he's a pedestrian and has the right-of-way. (...riding the wrong way on a one-way street when he came to the intersection.)

I tried to tell him. I tried to say that he's not a pedestrian, that he should ride with traffic as though he's a bicycle or motorcycle. I tried to say he needs to be predictable. He was anything but when he lifted his shirt and put his hand on a pistol.

Yadda yadda, no one was hurt.

.
To the OP, sorry, man. I'm glad you're well and able to ride again. Don't sweat your decision too much, for you can always make new choices later. And yes, you'll likely fare better with a lawyer. Best of luck...
[/QUOTE]
Fun?

That is a very sad story. So selfish. Righteous and self-centered. Troubling.
 
Back
Top