Theives in the night

Nachodaddy

Road warrior
Thread starter
Bad day at Black Rock.
Went to get in my truck this morning and found a Sawzall blade on the ground under the driver's door. Bad sign. Sure enough my exhaust system had been cut at the manifold and in front of the mufflers and completely removed with collateral damage so they could sell the contents of the catalytic converters. Collateral damage includes the transmission dip-stick tube cut, coolant leaking from somewhere and the wires to the sensors cut or ripped out.
We live in a very nice neighborhood, but it is not a gated one, so the thieves can slip in at night, do their thing and slip out.
On the bright side, I had a really nice ride on my CB before it got too hot to ride and before I found that my truck had been vandalized.
Busy day with police reports and insurance calls, but my CB helped make it not so bad.
 
Bummer! Happened to my shop van recently as well... and right after I had just installed a new converter to pass smog.
Took lots of Ebay parts to put it back together. Since the van is parked outside in an unsavory neighborhood, I am now running a pipe in place of the converter. Why ask to be robbed twice?
 
Lately, we had some customers with newly bought SUV and stolen cats, easy to steal from high suspended vehicles.
:@
 
Thread starter
Well, the good news is I found an AWESOME muffler shop. Had the truck in this place by 1:30pm and they called at 5:30 and said it was ready. They replaced everything and fixed the blown fuse that was making it run really poorly. Probably blown when the cut sensor wires arced against a piece of metal, they said. Anyway, it ran great all the way home and it is safely tucked away out of sight behind my locked gate. AND, the muffler shop recommended a mechanic if I have any other problems, who they said is very good. I will trust their recommendation if I need him.
 
Uggh- sorry to hear that.

Can’t believe people don’t have anything better to do. The few bucks they make certainly isn’t worth the jail time. I don’t get it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
... buh-tt, wha 'bout the punks?

Got a camera and event alert set-up?

Maybe some sort of deterrent?
Lovely thought, but I am too old for that. Spent the day in revenge-fantasy mode. Thought of sprinkling broken glass under my truck (what could possibly go wrong with that idea?), hiding in the shadows with my shotgun, wrapping the underside of my truck in rusty barbed-wire, housing a hungry javelina under my truck, you know, the usual. But, I don't think they will come this way for awhile and as long as it is out of sight, they will look for easier pickings. And there are plenty. Now that the horses are gone, so to speak, I am thinking of having the security system re-activated, however.
 
Bummer, Nachodaddy. Thieves are just grubby.
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
... buh-tt, wha 'bout the punks?

Got a camera and event alert set-up?

Maybe some sort of deterrent?
Lovely thought, but I am too old for that. Spent the day in revenge-fantasy mode. Thought of sprinkling broken glass under my truck (what could possibly go wrong with that idea?), hiding in the shadows with my shotgun, wrapping the underside of my truck in rusty barbed-wire, housing a hungry javelina under my truck, you know, the usual. But, I don't think they will come this way for awhile and as long as it is out of sight, they will look for easier pickings. And there are plenty. Now that the horses are gone, so to speak, I am thinking of having the security system re-activated, however.
One thing for sure, they know you have a nice, new replacement specimen under the vehicle. However, they'd be brazen to drink from your trough a second time.

That said, Toronto, Ontario has seen an significant uptick of gun (and knife) point automobile thefts, including that of the NHL Toronto Maple Leaf hockey forward player. Oppressors simply say, " ... give me your car keys.".
 
peterbaron_imp said:
As we live longer, it’s getting more scary and the best times are gone forever :-/
Sometimes I am unsure if the generations before us at this age said exactly the same thing.

One thing for sure is: They did not have the CB1100 as we know it.
 
I got $230 selling the old, clogged cat on my van to a legitimate buyer. I hear some cats can go for well over a grand. So, for a quick couple of minutes, one can make quite a haul.

It’s some street justice that a few weeks after ours was stolen, someone a few blocks from our shop came to work to find a pair of legs sticking out from under a Prius. Turns out his jack slipped during an attempted overnight theft. His car, trunk full of stolen cats, was nearby.

We used to have a diesel pickup as our shop vehicle, but it was stolen four times. A faded old Honda van bends in with the neighborhood and doesn’t seem as attractive a target. Still, no catalytic converter and a hidden kill switch is some added protection.

I never leave my motorcycle parked outside the shop. Two guys and a van would make quick work of it. It goes straight inside!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I got $230 selling the old, clogged cat on my van to a legitimate buyer. I hear some cats can go for well over a grand. So, for a quick couple of minutes, one can make quite a haul.

It’s some street justice that a few weeks after ours was stolen, someone a few blocks from our shop came to work to find a pair of legs sticking out from under a Prius. Turns out his jack slipped during an attempted overnight theft. His car, trunk full of stolen cats, was nearby.

We used to have a diesel pickup as our shop vehicle, but it was stolen four times. A faded old Honda van bends in with the neighborhood and doesn’t seem as attractive a target. Still, no catalytic converter and a hidden kill switch is some added protection.

I never leave my motorcycle parked outside the shop. Two guys and a van would make quick work of it. It goes straight inside!
A colleague of mine had his two m/c's stolen out of his garage while they were eating dinner. They threw them into a truck and took off.

Some time after a police officer appeared at their front door and said, " ... Sir? We found your motorcycles." The owner said, " ... huh? Wha 'bout 'em?"

The truck crashed on its side down the road and the thieves took off. Of course, the truck was stolen too.
 
My friend’s Ducati got a “free” lift from an underground condo while he stopped by for an hour lunch.
Very sure his bike was targeted.
He could watch the entire 2 min action from his superintendent office :-/
Now he has his new, $26,000 Ducati bolted by 2-3 chains, covered and barricaded by a car.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I got $230 selling the old, clogged cat on my van to a legitimate buyer. I hear some cats can go for well over a grand. So, for a quick couple of minutes, one can make quite a haul.

It’s some street justice that a few weeks after ours was stolen, someone a few blocks from our shop came to work to find a pair of legs sticking out from under a Prius. Turns out his jack slipped during an attempted overnight theft. His car, trunk full of stolen cats, was nearby.

We used to have a diesel pickup as our shop vehicle, but it was stolen four times. A faded old Honda van bends in with the neighborhood and doesn’t seem as attractive a target. Still, no catalytic converter and a hidden kill switch is some added protection.

I never leave my motorcycle parked outside the shop. Two guys and a van would make quick work of it. It goes straight inside!

Decades ago when I was in my apartment, I had put my dirtbike out front with a for sale sign and chained to a telephone pole.

I came home at night- probably about 10 or so- pulled in the parking lot and the bike was there. Walked upstairs to my apt and into my bedroom that faced the parking lot. I heard a loud bang- and when I looked out the window I saw a pickup truck peel out of the parking lot- and my dirtbike was gone. They had to have been sitting in the parking lot when I pulled in and I never noticed them.

Won't be doing that again... :(
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Bad day at Black Rock.
Went to get in my truck this morning and found a Sawzall blade on the ground under the driver's door. Bad sign. Sure enough my exhaust system had been cut at the manifold and in front of the mufflers and completely removed with collateral damage so they could sell the contents of the catalytic converters. Collateral damage includes the transmission dip-stick tube cut, coolant leaking from somewhere and the wires to the sensors cut or ripped out.
We live in a very nice neighborhood, but it is not a gated one, so the thieves can slip in at night, do their thing and slip out.
On the bright side, I had a really nice ride on my CB before it got too hot to ride and before I found that my truck had been vandalized.
Busy day with police reports and insurance calls, but my CB helped make it not so bad.
Bad Day at Black Rock was an old '50s movie starring Spencer Tracy.

It's screenplay was originally titled Bad Day at Hondo.
Good thing it wasn't that - too close for comfort.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Bad day at Black Rock.
Went to get in my truck this morning and found a Sawzall blade on the ground under the driver's door. Bad sign. Sure enough my exhaust system had been cut at the manifold and in front of the mufflers and completely removed with collateral damage so they could sell the contents of the catalytic converters. Collateral damage includes the transmission dip-stick tube cut, coolant leaking from somewhere and the wires to the sensors cut or ripped out.
We live in a very nice neighborhood, but it is not a gated one, so the thieves can slip in at night, do their thing and slip out.
On the bright side, I had a really nice ride on my CB before it got too hot to ride and before I found that my truck had been vandalized.
Busy day with police reports and insurance calls, but my CB helped make it not so bad.
Bad Day at Black Rock was an old '50s movie starring Spencer Tracy.

It's screenplay was originally titled Bad Day at Hondo.
Good thing it wasn't that - too close for comfort.
Bad Day at Black Rock was an old '50s movie starring Spencer Tracy.

It's screenplay was originally titled Bad Day at Hondo.
Good thing it wasn't that - too close for comfort.
That was a great movie. I saw it just a few years ago when I was channel-surfing one afternoon.
Man, a lot of stories about getting ripped-off. Reminds me of the guy who wanted to get rid of his old, but good, TV. He put it on the curb with a sign saying, "Free." It sat for a week. Finally, he changed the sign to " $50," and it was gone the next morning.
 
Back
Top