Theives in the night

I have 7 cameras on the property. Now a days you can buy a fistful of motion sensor, night vision, remote controlled, voice intercom wifi cameras for about $40 a pop. Load the app on your phone. Set camera where you want it. Plug it in the wall. No separate wires as they’re wifi. (Plug and Play). Get everything hooked up and have total surveillance inside and outside. Even a tech dinosaur like me can do it. Wife will be making dinner. I’ll be at work, open app. Find our living room camera, activate the mic and ask her what she wants me to bring home. I won’t be that cordial with any interlopers under my vehicles.
 
Yes, bad news. The governor here in Connecticut just passed into law a list of requirements anyone who deals with converters must comply with. It sounds like a good deterrent with teeth in it. You can view it by going to wfsb.com, click on news then scroll down until you come upon it. I know it doesn't help you but maybe you can get something like it going in your state? I do like the hang'n in the garage with the shotgun fix though! :thumbsup:
 
Years ago the police were called to my neighborhood late at night looking for a horse that was reported wandering around. They spotted a couple of dudes sitting in a truck and stopped to ask them if they had seen a horse. They immediately legged it so the cops started checking the truck out and found my mates superglide sitting in the back. They were in such a hurry they left their boots and dark clothing behind. The cops managed to locate the owner who was on holidays at the time. They told him he could collect his bike from the police station when he returned. Talk about perfect timing. Another 5 minutes and it would have been gone.
 
It's crazy how these thieves can sneak in even in nice neighborhoods. Good to hear that your CB ride helped lift your spirits a bit though. Stay positive, and hopefully, the insurance will come through for you.
 
dda35ea693a106767157aaa5f7ed5a54.38491


"Santie Claus, why? Why are you taking our catalytic converter, why?"

"Why my sweet little tot (the fake Santie Claus lied) there's a catalyst on this converter that won't catalyze on one side. So I'm taking it home to my work shop, my dear. I'll fix it up there, then I'll bring it back here."

And his fib fooled the child. Then he patted her head, and he got her a drink and he sent her to bed. And when Cindy Lou Who was in bed with her cup, he crept back under the car, and he cut the pipes up. Then tossed the loot into his heap, the old creep, and the last thing he took was the spare tire off their Jeep.

9ccd64b36e354a639adcf6e2ea5e1c11.jpg
 
Although I have yet to read or hear about a story, stealing catalytic converters from motorcycles thankfully doesn't seem to be a thing in this region. They are certainly more accessible, but perhaps the amount of material is insignificant?
 
On few occasions, a dozen or so cats have been stolen from new SUVs, totaling over C$36 in parts alone.
The owner then put a fence around the parking lot.
I'm not sure if he informed the insurance?
 
peterbaron_imp said:
On few occasions, a dozen or so cats have been stolen from new SUVs, totaling over C$36 in parts alone.
The owner then put a fence around the parking lot.
I'm not sure if he informed the insurance?
$36, PB ?
 
The V85TT has an unsightly lunchbox. For that reason I probably would not miss it, and low cost kits exist to bypass it. Meanwhile, exists it does.

Of course, this is said assuming the jerks wouldn't sloppily cut up the bike frame getting access to the cat.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Although I have yet to read or hear about a story, stealing catalytic converters from motorcycles thankfully doesn't seem to be a thing in this region. They are certainly more accessible, but perhaps the amount of material is insignificant?
GO, I am thinking the low-lifes who do this haven't realized yet that motorcycles have catalytic converters. Also, they have to sell them to (possibly) legitimate scrap-yards, who might realize that motorcycles don't go through exhaust systems as much as cars and trucks do, so might not buy them, realizing they have no defense if accused of buying stolen property.
 
Coming from the land of catalytic converter theft, rest assured, your motorcycles are safe.
Converter thieves (they work in broad daylight, by the way), aren't going to waste their time on the miniscule amounts of platinum and rhodium in a motorcycle converter. They'll just steal the entire bike, take it to a secure location, and strip it for all of its parts, not just the converter.

These thieves don't work with legitimate scrap yards, so it wouldn't matter where the converters come from. I can see the attraction. My old work van stopped passing smog checks around 250k miles due to a clogged cat and a P0420 code. I bought and installed a new cat, and a legitimate recycler gave me $265 for the old, clogged cat. So, with 24 hours and a corless sawz-all, one could steal an entire trunk load of them and make some decent money.

Of course, within two weeks, my new cat was stolen. I built a new exhaust system that had a removable straight pipe, so that the next replacement cat could be kept on a shelf, and only installed for smog inspections. No need to give them another $900 gift.

Main targets for these guys are cats with the largest amounts of precious metals - Toyota Prius is the number 1 target, but commercial trucks and SUVs with large, easy-to-reach cats are also their cash cows.

I did get a little satisfaction after mine was stolen. A few days later, two blocks away at a neighboring office complex, a thief was found crushed to death under a Prius when his jack slipped. I hope it was the same guy.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Coming from the land of catalytic converter theft, rest assured, your motorcycles are safe.
Converter thieves (they work in broad daylight, by the way), aren't going to waste their time on the miniscule amounts of platinum and rhodium in a motorcycle converter. They'll just steal the entire bike, take it to a secure location, and strip it for all of its parts, not just the converter.

These thieves don't work with legitimate scrap yards, so it wouldn't matter where the converters come from. I can see the attraction. My old work van stopped passing smog checks around 250k miles due to a clogged cat and a P0420 code. I bought and installed a new cat, and a legitimate recycler gave me $265 for the old, clogged cat. So, with 24 hours and a corless sawz-all, one could steal an entire trunk load of them and make some decent money.

Of course, within two weeks, my new cat was stolen. I built a new exhaust system that had a removable straight pipe, so that the next replacement cat could be kept on a shelf, and only installed for smog inspections. No need to give them another $900 gift.

Main targets for these guys are cats with the largest amounts of precious metals - Toyota Prius is the number 1 target, but commercial trucks and SUVs with large, easy-to-reach cats are also their cash cows.

I did get a little satisfaction after mine was stolen. A few days later, two blocks away at a neighboring office complex, a thief was found crushed to death under a Prius when his jack slipped. I hope it was the same guy.
Thanks Gone!

I feel better. :)
 
Back
Top