The true beauty of this motorcycle. (another LONG read)

Man, did the pot get stirred? I am loving these discussions on here. Guth your descriptions on the CB1100 are spot on.
 
Thread starter
Glad to hear it VLJ. Yeah, that Mickey - he's something alright. He was, of course, one of the main instigators of the addictive conversation that took place over on the ADVrider CB1100 thread that I referred to a number of posts earlier.

Regarding the 2014 Standard. I certainly feel that it retains the somewhat leaner, slightly more athletic look of the 2013 that shipped in the red/black/silver combo. But it does so in a much different way obviously. I sometimes wonder if overall, the 2014 Standard appeals more to the youngest* group of CB1100 fans, while the classy 2014 DLX (visually mimicking more of the older CB designs) tends to attract a higer percentage of the oldest* group of CB1100 fans and the 2013 rests somewhere in the middle. I haven't quite determined where I would guess that the 2017 fits with respect to all of this. Not that any of this matters. I'm sure the we could come up with numbers to both support and discredit my "theory". But to the point that I was originally trying to make at the beginning of this thread, they are all special in their own way. The longer that Honda produces this motorcycle, the more special it becomes as other bikes that also remain air-cooled options in this class will likely fall prey to the convenience water-cooling brings to the designers and engineers (amongst a few other key differences that set the CB1100 apart from other bikes today).

* "youngest" and "oldest" both being highly relevant in this case as very few of us around here are spring chickens. I'm thinking about this more in terms of how long ago it's been since we each "came of age as motorcyclists" to borrow a phrase from you.

That was really awesome of egleaves to offer up his CB1100 for a test ride. I'm sure I'm not the only one who looks forward to learning of your impression of the bike. Perhaps not so much due to whether or not it ultimately either satisfies or dissatisfies you, but rather how well it matches up to the vision that you currently have of it based on what so many others here and elsewhere on the web have shared with you.
 
At this point I'm not sure I want to know how he feels about the CB after a test ride. I've been telling him how great a bike it is for 5 years now. What if it doesn't live up to the hype? lol

according to our rider age poll we do spread over quite a gap

We have 24 owners in the under 25 group and 9 riders in the over 75 group (I think Rocky is oldest at 80) and 70 riders in the medicare eligible group of 66+.

The biggest group is 56-65 (235) followed closely by 46-55 (232). So 70% of us are 46+

of course not every forum member has taken part in the poll, but it has to be somewhat representative
 
I'm not really sure what I will focus on most when I ride it, or what might jump out at me. It's a finely tuned Honda, after all, which means it will likely function almost seamlessly, with nothing quirky to distract from the ride. Just smooth, predictable competency.

That whole "lack of character" nonsense, dontchaknow.

I guess I will look for a few things. One, how buzzy is it on the freeway at seventy-five mph? Two, how is the windblast at those speeds? Will I require a small flyscreen to be comfortable at seventy-five mph, or is there enough forward lean to obviate any need for one? Three, is it really as slow as some people say? I know it's going to seem anemic in comparison to the punch of the XSR900, but will it at least be similar to the T120, or will it be so gutless that it frustrates me, as in, "Seriously? I'll have to downshift twice just to zap a conga line of mobile homes on Hwy 395?" (Along those same lines, I'm curious to see what egleaves thinks of the XSR's acceleration, having now learned of his two previous bikes. All I can think there is, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T JUST WHACK THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN!") Lastly, I want to see how much that rev limiter cutting in at 6K rpm in the top two (or is it the top three?) gears really annoys me. I've never owned a bike that did that, and it sure seems like it would be awfully annoying to be in fourth gear and accelerating, only to have it suddenly shut down on me at 6K.

Otherwise, I'm not going to push the bike hard enough to learn much about its handling. I know it's soft and heavy, and doesn't like sudden directional changes. That's fine. I'm looking at it for comfort, not for sporty handling.
 
Youd better be on a lonnng straightaway if you plan on hitting 6k in the top couple gears lol. Lessee 80 mph is about 4 grand in 6 th, that would make it 85 at 4250, 90 at 4500 95 at 4750, 100 at 5 grand, 105 at 5250, 110 at 5500.. Nope you will tip the top spped limiter before you hit any rev limiter.
 
Sorry folks, but I expect VLJ will be disappointed, just based on his expectations and preconceived notions. Slow? Soft and heavy? Anemic? Gutless? Having to downshift twice just to pass a line of cars? Compared to what, an XSR900? It's not a sport bike, or even a sporty bike, but it can be confidently ridden in a highly spirited manner and gives a subtlety and serenity that most sport bikes can't match.

We have a '56 Jaguar XK-140 Roadster. As a kid, I remember my dad taking it to the local drag races and running it against Z-28's and Mach I's. He was dusted every time. The Jag isn't suited to drag racing but on a rolling, serpentine country road, with the top down and a beautiful woman in the passenger seat, it can't be beat. It could care less about 1/4 mile times but it does bring an air of "classic sports car" that no '60's muscle car can match (well, a Cobra or DB4, but certainly not a Camaro or Mustang). I think the CB is similar, in its own lovely way.
 
I'm solidly in LongRangers court on this. Speaking for myself, the CB1100 has all the performance and handling 'I' need. Will be interesting to hear the results of the test ride.
 
I know you're anxious to answer the questions via your test-ride, but let's see if you disagree after...

VLJ_imp said:
I'm not really sure what I will focus on most when I ride it, or what might jump out at me. It's a finely tuned Honda, after all, which means it will likely function almost seamlessly, with nothing quirky to distract from the ride. Just smooth, predictable competency.

That whole "lack of character" nonsense, dontchaknow.

I guess I will look for a few things. One, how buzzy is it on the freeway at seventy-five mph? Two, how is the windblast at those speeds? Will I require a small flyscreen to be comfortable at seventy-five mph, or is there enough forward lean to obviate any need for one? Three, is it really as slow as some people say? I know it's going to seem anemic in comparison to the punch of the XSR900, but will it at least be similar to the T120, or will it be so gutless that it frustrates me, as in, "Seriously? I'll have to downshift twice just to zap a conga line of mobile homes on Hwy 395?" (Along those same lines, I'm curious to see what egleaves thinks of the XSR's acceleration, having now learned of his two previous bikes. All I can think there is, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T JUST WHACK THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN!") Lastly, I want to see how much that rev limiter cutting in at 6K rpm in the top two (or is it the top three?) gears really annoys me. I've never owned a bike that did that, and it sure seems like it would be awfully annoying to be in fourth gear and accelerating, only to have it suddenly shut down on me at 6K.

Otherwise, I'm not going to push the bike hard enough to learn much about its handling. I know it's soft and heavy, and doesn't like sudden directional changes. That's fine. I'm looking at it for comfort, not for sporty handling.
Not at all...I've never understood what people mean by this related to the CB1100. Buzzy...compared to what, a bicycle? Then I suppose it could be called "buzzy".

VLJ_imp said:
I'm not really sure what I will focus on most when I ride it, or what might jump out at me. It's a finely tuned Honda, after all, which means it will likely function almost seamlessly, with nothing quirky to distract from the ride. Just smooth, predictable competency.

That whole "lack of character" nonsense, dontchaknow.

I guess I will look for a few things. One, how buzzy is it on the freeway at seventy-five mph? Two, how is the windblast at those speeds? Will I require a small flyscreen to be comfortable at seventy-five mph, or is there enough forward lean to obviate any need for one? Three, is it really as slow as some people say? I know it's going to seem anemic in comparison to the punch of the XSR900, but will it at least be similar to the T120, or will it be so gutless that it frustrates me, as in, "Seriously? I'll have to downshift twice just to zap a conga line of mobile homes on Hwy 395?" (Along those same lines, I'm curious to see what egleaves thinks of the XSR's acceleration, having now learned of his two previous bikes. All I can think there is, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T JUST WHACK THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN!") Lastly, I want to see how much that rev limiter cutting in at 6K rpm in the top two (or is it the top three?) gears really annoys me. I've never owned a bike that did that, and it sure seems like it would be awfully annoying to be in fourth gear and accelerating, only to have it suddenly shut down on me at 6K.

Otherwise, I'm not going to push the bike hard enough to learn much about its handling. I know it's soft and heavy, and doesn't like sudden directional changes. That's fine. I'm looking at it for comfort, not for sporty handling.
Not very bad...unless there's a strong headwind. I did a 5000 mile trip from OR to Illinois and back, and didn't miss having a fairing of any sort. First day the neck was a little sore, after that no problem. Did several 400-450 mile days in a row.

VLJ_imp said:
I'm not really sure what I will focus on most when I ride it, or what might jump out at me. It's a finely tuned Honda, after all, which means it will likely function almost seamlessly, with nothing quirky to distract from the ride. Just smooth, predictable competency.

That whole "lack of character" nonsense, dontchaknow.

I guess I will look for a few things. One, how buzzy is it on the freeway at seventy-five mph? Two, how is the windblast at those speeds? Will I require a small flyscreen to be comfortable at seventy-five mph, or is there enough forward lean to obviate any need for one? Three, is it really as slow as some people say? I know it's going to seem anemic in comparison to the punch of the XSR900, but will it at least be similar to the T120, or will it be so gutless that it frustrates me, as in, "Seriously? I'll have to downshift twice just to zap a conga line of mobile homes on Hwy 395?" (Along those same lines, I'm curious to see what egleaves thinks of the XSR's acceleration, having now learned of his two previous bikes. All I can think there is, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T JUST WHACK THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN!") Lastly, I want to see how much that rev limiter cutting in at 6K rpm in the top two (or is it the top three?) gears really annoys me. I've never owned a bike that did that, and it sure seems like it would be awfully annoying to be in fourth gear and accelerating, only to have it suddenly shut down on me at 6K.

Otherwise, I'm not going to push the bike hard enough to learn much about its handling. I know it's soft and heavy, and doesn't like sudden directional changes. That's fine. I'm looking at it for comfort, not for sporty handling.
I think there IS enough forward lean so that it's not necessary. Remember...it's slow and doesn't accelerate, so why are you considering a flyscreen?:P Kidding of course.

VLJ_imp said:
I'm not really sure what I will focus on most when I ride it, or what might jump out at me. It's a finely tuned Honda, after all, which means it will likely function almost seamlessly, with nothing quirky to distract from the ride. Just smooth, predictable competency.

That whole "lack of character" nonsense, dontchaknow.

I guess I will look for a few things. One, how buzzy is it on the freeway at seventy-five mph? Two, how is the windblast at those speeds? Will I require a small flyscreen to be comfortable at seventy-five mph, or is there enough forward lean to obviate any need for one? Three, is it really as slow as some people say? I know it's going to seem anemic in comparison to the punch of the XSR900, but will it at least be similar to the T120, or will it be so gutless that it frustrates me, as in, "Seriously? I'll have to downshift twice just to zap a conga line of mobile homes on Hwy 395?" (Along those same lines, I'm curious to see what egleaves thinks of the XSR's acceleration, having now learned of his two previous bikes. All I can think there is, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T JUST WHACK THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN!") Lastly, I want to see how much that rev limiter cutting in at 6K rpm in the top two (or is it the top three?) gears really annoys me. I've never owned a bike that did that, and it sure seems like it would be awfully annoying to be in fourth gear and accelerating, only to have it suddenly shut down on me at 6K.

Otherwise, I'm not going to push the bike hard enough to learn much about its handling. I know it's soft and heavy, and doesn't like sudden directional changes. That's fine. I'm looking at it for comfort, not for sporty handling.
No. It's faster. ... Unless you're used to a bike like the yamaha xsr900 :biker: oh...wait.

VLJ_imp said:
I'm not really sure what I will focus on most when I ride it, or what might jump out at me. It's a finely tuned Honda, after all, which means it will likely function almost seamlessly, with nothing quirky to distract from the ride. Just smooth, predictable competency.

That whole "lack of character" nonsense, dontchaknow.

I guess I will look for a few things. One, how buzzy is it on the freeway at seventy-five mph? Two, how is the windblast at those speeds? Will I require a small flyscreen to be comfortable at seventy-five mph, or is there enough forward lean to obviate any need for one? Three, is it really as slow as some people say? I know it's going to seem anemic in comparison to the punch of the XSR900, but will it at least be similar to the T120, or will it be so gutless that it frustrates me, as in, "Seriously? I'll have to downshift twice just to zap a conga line of mobile homes on Hwy 395?" (Along those same lines, I'm curious to see what egleaves thinks of the XSR's acceleration, having now learned of his two previous bikes. All I can think there is, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T JUST WHACK THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN!") Lastly, I want to see how much that rev limiter cutting in at 6K rpm in the top two (or is it the top three?) gears really annoys me. I've never owned a bike that did that, and it sure seems like it would be awfully annoying to be in fourth gear and accelerating, only to have it suddenly shut down on me at 6K.

Otherwise, I'm not going to push the bike hard enough to learn much about its handling. I know it's soft and heavy, and doesn't like sudden directional changes. That's fine. I'm looking at it for comfort, not for sporty handling.
Ok, more seriously...I recently test rode the T120 and had a few miles on the hiway...I thought it was similar to the CB1100 in 4th and 5th...didn't get the chance to feel 6th very much on the T120.

VLJ_imp said:
I'm not really sure what I will focus on most when I ride it, or what might jump out at me. It's a finely tuned Honda, after all, which means it will likely function almost seamlessly, with nothing quirky to distract from the ride. Just smooth, predictable competency.

That whole "lack of character" nonsense, dontchaknow.

I guess I will look for a few things. One, how buzzy is it on the freeway at seventy-five mph? Two, how is the windblast at those speeds? Will I require a small flyscreen to be comfortable at seventy-five mph, or is there enough forward lean to obviate any need for one? Three, is it really as slow as some people say? I know it's going to seem anemic in comparison to the punch of the XSR900, but will it at least be similar to the T120, or will it be so gutless that it frustrates me, as in, "Seriously? I'll have to downshift twice just to zap a conga line of mobile homes on Hwy 395?" (Along those same lines, I'm curious to see what egleaves thinks of the XSR's acceleration, having now learned of his two previous bikes. All I can think there is, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T JUST WHACK THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN!") Lastly, I want to see how much that rev limiter cutting in at 6K rpm in the top two (or is it the top three?) gears really annoys me. I've never owned a bike that did that, and it sure seems like it would be awfully annoying to be in fourth gear and accelerating, only to have it suddenly shut down on me at 6K.

Otherwise, I'm not going to push the bike hard enough to learn much about its handling. I know it's soft and heavy, and doesn't like sudden directional changes. That's fine. I'm looking at it for comfort, not for sporty handling.
If you're in 6th, maybe you downshift to 5th at 70mph, depends on how fast you want to zap them.

VLJ_imp said:
I'm not really sure what I will focus on most when I ride it, or what might jump out at me. It's a finely tuned Honda, after all, which means it will likely function almost seamlessly, with nothing quirky to distract from the ride. Just smooth, predictable competency.

That whole "lack of character" nonsense, dontchaknow.

I guess I will look for a few things. One, how buzzy is it on the freeway at seventy-five mph? Two, how is the windblast at those speeds? Will I require a small flyscreen to be comfortable at seventy-five mph, or is there enough forward lean to obviate any need for one? Three, is it really as slow as some people say? I know it's going to seem anemic in comparison to the punch of the XSR900, but will it at least be similar to the T120, or will it be so gutless that it frustrates me, as in, "Seriously? I'll have to downshift twice just to zap a conga line of mobile homes on Hwy 395?" (Along those same lines, I'm curious to see what egleaves thinks of the XSR's acceleration, having now learned of his two previous bikes. All I can think there is, "WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T JUST WHACK THE THROTTLE WIDE OPEN!") Lastly, I want to see how much that rev limiter cutting in at 6K rpm in the top two (or is it the top three?) gears really annoys me. I've never owned a bike that did that, and it sure seems like it would be awfully annoying to be in fourth gear and accelerating, only to have it suddenly shut down on me at 6K.

Otherwise, I'm not going to push the bike hard enough to learn much about its handling. I know it's soft and heavy, and doesn't like sudden directional changes. That's fine. I'm looking at it for comfort, not for sporty handling.
. See Ferrets answer.

Hope you enjoy the test ride!
 
mickey, this is one of the videos I've seen that has me wondering...


Apparently top gear is limited to 5k, not 6k. Now, does that 5K rev limiter only apply to fifth and sixth gears, or does it include fourth gear too? I know I read somewhere that it cuts fifth and sixth gears, but I think it may also cut fourth gear.

You and Ulvetanna are correct in that I don't really need it to pull redline in sixth. 112 mph or whatever the limited top speed is on this thing is fine. I rarely take the XSR any faster than that, and I usually back off at 110 mph. So, no biggie there. What does concern me, however, is being unable to pull past 5K rpm in fourth gear. That would be frustrating. On those occasions when I do hit 110 mph on the XSR, I'm usually in third or fourth gear, not top gear. Now that I've had the ECU reflashed to remove all the XSR's limiters, I've never even visited redline in fifth or sixth gear.

Moving on...

LongRanger Wrote:Sorry folks, but I expect VLJ will be disappointed, just based on his expectations and preconceived notions. Slow? Soft and heavy? Anemic? Gutless?
I've never ridden the thing, but yes, that is how the bike is described by a lot of people. It's all relative, of course, as a CB assuredly feels like a Hayabusa compared to some bikes, but it apparently feels very slow, soft, and heavy when compared to something as mild-mannered as an R-Nine-T, which isn't a particularly fast, light, or agile bike.

I honestly don't expect to be disappointed by the CB's power. Having spent a decade as a motorcycle dealer, I've ridden a million bikes. I have a pretty good idea of what 550 lbs and 85rwhp from an 1100cc I4 biased for smooth linearity will translate to, in terms of acceleration. I'm not expecting it to slingshot me forward the way my XSR does. I'm simply hoping it will be in the ballpark of the T120 down low and throughout the midrange, with perhaps a bit more on top.

Quote:Having to downshift twice just to pass a line of cars?
Yes, I have read that. I've experienced it myself on other bikes, usually those that have dedicated top-gear overdrives. Where the CB is concerned, supposedly the acceleration is so smooth and linear that top gear simply doesn't provide any immediate acceleration for quick passes.

Of course not everyone says that. Plenty of people who've ridden the CB describe no such problem. I assume it's all down to one's frame of reference/expectations.

pdedse, many ride reviews of the CB mention the fingers-numbing engine buzz, usually with the caveat that it's only present at 5K and above. They also usually add that it's not really necessary, and rather pointless, to ride this bike at those RPM. The long review I just finished reading a few minutes ago said that 75 mph in sixth gear is the point at which the high-frequency vibes begin to become annoying. Below 75 mph it's buttery smooth, he said.

I've certainly encountered this sort of high-frequency I4 buzz before, on many of my own bikes. None of them turned as few RPM as the CB does for any given speed, though, so I tend to believe mickey's descriptions of just how smooth the thing is at real-world freeway speeds. I won't be averaging much more than 75 mph on the freeway. I'll zip it up to 100 now and then, but I won't hang there, so I suspect it'll be fine.
 
Thread starter
The problem is that many of these things are simply too subjective and there are very few people that are totally pleased with every single aspect of this bike (or any bike for that matter).

You guys are talking about a lot of different variables, yet even those of us who really like the CB1100 can't agree about something as simple as the seat. Some of us are perfectly fine with the seat that came with the bike from the factory, while others are ready to bin the thing before they are even able to make it all the way home from the dealership the first day of ownership. Jeez, I'm almost surprised that we haven't had someone who trailered their CB home from the dealer report that their butt hurt from just looking at the seat in their rear view mirror, lol. Similarly one man's smooth, refined, engine is another man's buzzing nightmare, and so on, and so forth. It's almost a miracle that we can all manage to hang out here together and still get along after all this time. The reality is that we all typically have a few things that we are willing to compromise on and other things that we simply aren't willing to compromise on. Those things will vary for each and every one of us.

Most all of us here like the CB1100 quite a bit. However, if someone were to conduct a study I'd imagine that they would likely determine we tend to like this motorcycle for a wide variety of reasons and those reasons would probably differ a fair amount from one person to the next (but with a few key reasons that are practically universal among us).
 
I still remember walking into a Honda showroom in late 2010 and seeing a white CB1100 and saying to the sales person, ‘I want one of those’. ‘Take it for a test ride, mate,’ he said. I didn’t for various reasons, but I should have. It took me 3 years to get one.

It was the look that did it for me. It was the bike I’d wanted back in the day when a 4-cylinder bike was all the one to have.

pdedse, far from being pedantic, I found your markedness theory really helpful in understanding why some things appeal and others don’t. It is, I suppose, a form of bias, but it seems to me to provide an understanding of,why we are biased.

VLJ, I too will look forward to hearing how you find the CB1100. Like Guth, I remain unconvinced that it is the bike for you. When you enjoy really pushing a bike through the corners, why would you have one that can’t do it? I understand the urge to slow down, but I’m not sure I understand the desire to give up riding machines designed and tuned to do the things you say you really enjoy.

I’ve been wrong before.
 
VLJ_imp said:
mickey, this is one of the videos I've seen that has me wondering...


Apparently top gear is limited to 5k, not 6k. Now, does that 5K rev limiter only apply to fifth and sixth gears, or does it include fourth gear too? I know I read somewhere that it cuts fifth and sixth gears, but I think it may also cut fourth gear.

You and Ulvetanna are correct in that I don't really need it to pull redline in sixth. 112 mph or whatever the limited top speed is on this thing is fine. I rarely take the XSR any faster than that, and I usually back off at 110 mph. So, no biggie there. What does concern me, however, is being unable to pull past 5K rpm in fourth gear. That would be frustrating. On those occasions when I do hit 110 mph on the XSR, I'm usually in third or fourth gear, not top gear. Now that I've had the ECU reflashed to remove all the XSR's limiters, I've never even visited redline in fifth or sixth gear.

Moving on...

LongRanger Wrote:Sorry folks, but I expect VLJ will be disappointed, just based on his expectations and preconceived notions. Slow? Soft and heavy? Anemic? Gutless?
I've never ridden the thing, but yes, that is how the bike is described by a lot of people. It's all relative, of course, as a CB assuredly feels like a Hayabusa compared to some bikes, but it apparently feels very slow, soft, and heavy when compared to something as mild-mannered as an R-Nine-T, which isn't a particularly fast, light, or agile bike.

I honestly don't expect to be disappointed by the CB's power. Having spent a decade as a motorcycle dealer, I've ridden a million bikes. I have a pretty good idea of what 550 lbs and 85rwhp from an 1100cc I4 biased for smooth linearity will translate to, in terms of acceleration. I'm not expecting it to slingshot me forward the way my XSR does. I'm simply hoping it will be in the ballpark of the T120 down low and throughout the midrange, with perhaps a bit more on top.

Quote:Having to downshift twice just to pass a line of cars?
Yes, I have read that. I've experienced it myself on other bikes, usually those that have dedicated top-gear overdrives. Where the CB is concerned, supposedly the acceleration is so smooth and linear that top gear simply doesn't provide any immediate acceleration for quick passes.

Of course not everyone says that. Plenty of people who've ridden the CB describe no such problem. I assume it's all down to one's frame of reference/expectations.

pdedse, many ride reviews of the CB mention the fingers-numbing engine buzz, usually with the caveat that it's only present at 5K and above. They also usually add that it's not really necessary, and rather pointless, to ride this bike at those RPM. The long review I just finished reading a few minutes ago said that 75 mph in sixth gear is the point at which the high-frequency vibes begin to become annoying. Below 75 mph it's buttery smooth, he said.

I've certainly encountered this sort of high-frequency I4 buzz before, on many of my own bikes. None of them turned as few RPM as the CB does for any given speed, though, so I tend to believe mickey's descriptions of just how smooth the thing is at real-world freeway speeds. I won't be averaging much more than 75 mph on the freeway. I'll zip it up to 100 now and then, but I won't hang there, so I suspect it'll be fine.
Understood, I had heard of that before buying the bike...maybe it's because I never sustained at 5k rpm for any length of time. On my trip through Montana, Wyoming, and SD, I was regulary at 75-85mph for loooong stretches, mainly in 6th gear, but shifting in to 5th to pass at times. I can't recall once feeling any buziness. But maybe I was just delirous from riding through SD.
 
Really looking forward to a VLJ test ride report on Sunday eve. Not that all the hemming and hawing isn't entertaining, I just want to hear his take on this big girl.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Really looking forward to a VLJ test ride report on Sunday eve. Not that all the hemming and hawing isn't entertaining, I just want to hear his take on this big girl.
+1, it's great to hear a critical and refreshed take on the CB1100. As someone who uses his ride to commute and has taken it to the track, the CB can handle a wide ranged of unmarkedness. :)
 
mickey, this is one of the videos I've seen that has me wondering...



That video shows the rider hitting the 180 kph (112 mph) top speed limiter in 6th, but it ran right up to that, but you couldn't see what it was doing in 4th or 5th because he short shifted at 3500 rpms like a lot of us do on this bike to take advantage of the torque curve. Actually if you wanted to feel the most pull, I would recommend shifting at the peak of the torque curve around 5000-5200 rpms.
 
So as I understand it the Theory of Markedness is used as a descriptor primarily in the area of linguistics? I've not heard of it - not surprising as I did not attend grad or post grad school and my only real interest in linguistics stems from my search to find the gene responsible for language, a completely different area of research. Anyway, what you talk about is what I've always known as "imprinting", a quite well studied psychological term.

For example:

Nobody in my extended family both maternal and paternal rides motorcycles or is into cars, not an uncle, cousin, nobody. So how did I come to be a motorhead? Simple - the woman who babysat me from birth had an adult son who had a 1976 naked Gold Wing and a 1977 Córdoba (Forrest green with Thrush mufflers) and dragged me around with him everywhere. As well, there is a 1% Club that has been in my town since 1972 and as a young boy unaware of what they represent they certainly looked cool ripping up the street on their Harleys.

Where does that find me today? Well, my favourite 2 bikes are my '03 HD Nighttrain and my naked retro Honda. I love all bikes and would have at least one of each genre if I had the space. Oh, and I just sold my '77 Córdoba last year to buy a T/A.

He also liked to dress me in his engineer boots and hang a cigarette (which would have lasting effects) out of my mouth for pictures (it was the '70s) but I am happy to report that I have been smoke free for 15 years although I still wear engineer style boots.

As for the intangibles that draw me to the CB1100, a large factor is the history of the development of the current (our) CB. When I learned of the dedication, care and pride with which our current steed was brought into being I can't help but feel some of that pride bestowed upon me as one who wishes to be worthy of such a machine.

You'll probably think I'm crazy but as I ride the Blue Angel I feel those largely faceless and nameless engineers (and the great Soichiro Honda himself) riding and smiling with me. Nuts huh?
 
W/R, that's a cool story. I suppose we all had early experiences which influenced us into adulthood. Mine was the 12-year old kid across the street who rode his CT-70 up and down the road (he became a 1%'er). Your story makes a lot of sense!
 
pdedse, according to mickey's rpm vs road-speed numbers, no, you shouldn't have encountered any excessive engine buzz during your trip through Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. At the speeds you were going you were well below 5k rpm in top gear, even if you have an older five-speed.

This is why I'm not really worried about the engine buzz on the freeway. According to mickey, and Dirck at MC Daily, the CB is one of the smoothest I4s they've ever ridden, and has no issues whatsoever at freeway speeds. I've read reports from a few other people that said their hands were numb by the time they rode home from the dealer, but I discount such reports as being irrelevant outliers. I've ridden enough I4s, both large and small, to know I won't have that problem. If I can handle freeway slogging on a five-speed Bandit 1200S or FJ1200, or even a GSX-R750, I'm sure the CB will feel like a CBR1100XX Blackbird to me.

Now that was one smooooooth I4.

What I do worry about is whether the thing is too buzzy during sportier rides in the canyons, where I will most certainly zip right on through 5K on my way to redline. Supposedly this is where the CB can pose issues with excessive vibration, in that 6-8k range. Many reviewers describe the same issue with the Ninja 1000, that it's smooth as silk below a certain rpm, but annoyingly buzzy in the sportier RPM ranges. I've also heard the new Z900 described this way.

mickey, or anyone else who knows, how many gears are affected by that 5K rev limiter? Is it just fifth and sixth, or does it also include fourth gear?
 
Back
Top