The Old&New Itch

JustJohn_imp said:
My Shovel's a piece of cuss. My Road King ain't far behind. Still deciding between the Honda and the Bonneville. Too old for this cuss. These bikes are worse than a woman to choose. And yeah, at 55 I have NO problem saying that. I like the site...alot...but lets keep it real and honest. I like old iron but have had it. The Harley riders of NOW are a joke. Cant find there way out of a phone booth. Done babysitting these idiots. The Honda plucks at whats left of my Heartstrings.
Funny how it comes down to these two, so often! For me, it was Thruxton, instead of Bonneville, but same difference.
 
I was talking to Houtman about this same topic & why we were drawn to the CB1100. We like the classic look of old bikes. They're REAL MOTORCYCLES. Gas tanks, fenders & side covers were designed by artists. The Italians went as far as designing beautiful engines. Real bikes have two round analog gauges, not a computer screen. I'd get off my 70 Bonneville at a restaurant; turn around; and just go weak at its fabulous classic lines. Yes, they're great to look at. And that's why I bought a CB1100. Being widowed, my daughter is always making sure I'm OK. She recently told me that she has not seen me this happy in many years and she's glad that I bought this bike. Good therapy ? Maybe. I don't care what it is. I'm happy.
Feret: Thanks for a great Forum where we can meet other mature riders who know what a real motorcycle is supposed to look like & makes us feel good. Rocket
 
Rocket..thank Guth. This is his baby. I'm just the baby sitter

Sorry for your loss, you are lucky to still have someone to check up on you and happy that the CB satisfies a need you have for aesthetically beautiful and properly functioning motorcycles. Hard to come close to the timeless beauty of a mid 70s Bonneville, but I think the CB 1100 measures up quite nicely.

And I agree with you I like round gauges, round headlight, metal fenders that cup the wheels, I like seeing motors and exhaust pipes, taillights mounted to fenders with the plate directly below it, nicely shaped fuel tanks and side covers, seats that look like something a rider and passenger could actually sit on with some degree of comfort. To me that says MOTORCYCLE!
 
I'll be in real trouble if Honda came out with a large single or twin along the lines of the GB500. Oiy!
 
I have one of each. Up until this year I put an average of 5000 miles a year on my CB750. Now it only goes for a couple spins since the CB1100 aquired a home.
 
I'm often tempted to pick up a restored SOHC CB750, but then I look at the XS650 sitting in my garage with clogged carb jets (again) and realize that I won't have time to take care of an older bike until after I retire (whenever THAT may be).
 
inline4fan_imp said:
It almost seems like the carbs are the biggest problem with the older bikes,no matter what make.Checked out an 81 CB650 custom yesterday.carb issues again,beside the rattle ( Valves? ).

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4695507720.html

Didn't care for the seat and handlebar either.
Fond memories of that model, first brand spanking new motorcycle I ever bought. Wife and I rode that all over the Pacific Northwest
 
My buddy just bought a 78 CB750 and could not get it to run right. Turns out one cylinder had zero compression due to a valve pro blem.
He is a good mechanic and has it tore apart now. Its not for me. I know my limitations. THis is what you get into. No way I could fix it but I admire someone that can. He will get this thing fixed eventually. The motor is for a transplant on a homemade chopper. He is nuts and crazy as can be.

I rode this thing and could not believe how good it ran. It acted like it just needed the carbs cleaned. How something can run that well on 3 cylinders is amazing to me.
 
Thread starter
Well,I gave in to the 'itch'.
Hopefully this CL link still works.(I did post it before).

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4695507720.html

Just rode it home today,about 40 miles.Runs great,like an line four should.
I don't like the looks of the seat,rack and handlebar but my lower back and shoulders don't hurt.I did buy an original seat on ebay but will take my time installing it,with a grab rail,at some point.I may replace the handlebar with one from a regular 650 r check into a clubman.
The Previous owner's son is a motorcycle mechanic so it was well kept.
 
Congrats and enjoy that classic Honda!
 
Thread starter
Thanks,folks.
@classicvw, I read in one of the articles on the CB1100 that the CB900 was more of an influence on it's design etc than the CB750.
 
:thumbsup:e
inline4fan_imp said:
Thanks,folks.
@classicvw, I read in one of the articles on the CB1100 that the CB900 was more of an influence on it's design etc than the CB750.
Nice! I hadn't heard that, just references to the 750s. My 900 definitely had a lower seating than the 1100 has. It was really low.
 
Back
Top