New owner... Vibrations.. And a question

Thread starter
Just thought I'd drop in and see how y'all were getting on... Yes the CB is a memory for me now and I'm super happy putting mega miles on my guzzi again.

My experience was exactly the same as Olofs.

I think all in line 4s have an element of buzz but the CB was extreme in its buzziness.

As mentioned before, my round town bike is a 1970 triumph which vibrates a lot but doesnt buzz and never hurts my hands.

By way of definition I'd say the difference between a vibration and a buzz is the frequency.

It was a BIG problem on the CB after say 2 hours riding... And I often do many many more hours than that.

Hope you all have many great miles on your beautiful machines

Peace out
ps I had 4 people with maybe a combined 80-100 years riding experience of all makes of bikes try my bike (I work part time in a bike shop) and they all agreed that my bike was weirdly and unacceptably rough.

I'll leave it there!!!
 
Glad you checked back in lazz and sorry the CB didn't work out for you.

have fun, ride safe!
 
Don’t be a stranger, lazz. Pity the CB1100 didn’t work out for you.
 
Guzzi's vibrate much more than the CB; but as you pointed out, a much lower frequency which makes them pleasant if not down right enjoyable. I found 2 stroke vibes very objectionable, and my big single is just fine.

Quite a few Guzzi folks got the CB (and like you, a few went from the CB to the Guzzi); I think there is a great deal of over lap on the kind of person that like Guzzi's like the CB too. I like to say I'm between Guzzi's. :D
 
Rboe_imp said:
Guzzi's vibrate much more than the CB; but as you pointed out, a much lower frequency which makes them pleasant if not down right enjoyable. I found 2 stroke vibes very objectionable, and my big single is just fine.

Quite a few Guzzi folks got the CB (and like you, a few went from the CB to the Guzzi); I think there is a great deal of over lap on the kind of person that like Guzzi's like the CB too. I like to say I'm between Guzzi's. :D
I would agree with you on that Rboe.

Both have incredible and unique attributes. So I am in between the two. No, not with a Triumph triple, but rather an inline-2 Honda Africa Twin.
 
Oh dang, you mentioned the Africa Twin! I've successfully avoided getting one for years now - I'm growing weaker. :D

If Honda comes out with a baby AT, or that CB1100X based on the AT engine - my knees will really get weak.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Oh dang, you mentioned the Africa Twin! I've successfully avoided getting one for years now - I'm growing weaker. :D

If Honda comes out with a baby AT, or that CB1100X based on the AT engine - my knees will really get weak.
I avoided the Africa Twin for about three years. I couldn't stand them. They were UG--LEE. All ADV bikes are ugly. My CB1100 was gorgeous. End of story.

Then I acquired the NC750X DCT for my daily mule. Only 55 hp, but very useable. It was so easy to jump on and go. It was significantly more comfortable than the CB1100. I was concerned.

The AT reared it ugly again in the showroom. DCT was an option. I test rode one . Suddenly the AT was the best least ugly ADV bike on the market. I started to get dizzy - maybe what you called "weaker".

Today I ride the beast. It has some stupid power. I am also an Africa Twin forum super moderator. :-/ A crazy turn of events.

Just a couple years ago I thought, "No way, it won't happen. CB1100 is for life."
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Oh dang, you mentioned the Africa Twin! I've successfully avoided getting one for years now - I'm growing weaker. :D

If Honda comes out with a baby AT, or that CB1100X based on the AT engine - my knees will really get weak.
This one? NEW HONDA NT1100 SPORTS TOURER IN THE PIPELINE
Nice fresh link. :thumbsup:

Hard to imagine something like the NT1100 twin "replacing" what used to be the V4 line of Hondas. Euro 5 compliant V4 Hondas may never be.
 
As a coda to this I am reading in several places that Honda 'added' vibration when the RS and EX models came out to give them more character. Anybody know if the engines are different at all, with regard to cam timings and balancing from the previous ones?
 
Ayrshire Dunx_imp said:
As a coda to this I am reading in several places that Honda 'added' vibration when the RS and EX models came out to give them more character. Anybody know if the engines are different at all, with regard to cam timings and balancing from the previous ones?
They added a slight variation to the valve timing for a characteristic burble. I thought that was on the 2017 and onward models also but another member pointed out the camshaft part number is the same throughout so it had always been there. I don't think that is the cause of the vibration though. My EX does vibrate at those mid revs but not in a way that it bothers me but then I would not do a lot of motorway type riding either.
 
The engine itself is the same across all models other than color.

There have been a few versions of the intake part attached to the side of the airbox.

The exhaust is obviously had different versions and the ecu has had different versions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The '17 EX vibrates between 3,000-5,000. It's extremely smooth below 3,000, and smoother above 5,000 than it is between 3-5K. That's just how it is.

I would never describe its sixth gear, 75 mph cruising-speed buzzing as troublesome, however. I hate really nasty I4 buzz, and while this motor does buzz a bit, it's not to the level of being any sort of a problem at all. I rode plenty of 500+-mile days on the '17 EX, often droning away on the freeway, right in the heart of that 3-5 buzzy range, and it simply wasn't an issue.

The older I get, the more forums I read, the more I think that people wildly exaggerate issues with their bikes. If they notice something at all, anything at all, it immediately rises to the level of "hand numbing," "unrideable for more than a half hour," "a dealbreaker," etc. It's as if people forgot how motorcycles have always been, and how we as riders managed just fine on them before the advent of the internet, at which point everyone suddenly discovered that their bikes are beset with previously nonexistent problems.

Your bike is fine. Just ride it, get used to it, and enjoy it. If it's not actually malfunctioning, it's not a problem. It's a characteristic, and you'll learn to cope with it if you simply give yourself the chance.
 
VLJ_imp said:
The '17 EX vibrates between 3,000-5,000. It's extremely smooth below 3,000, and smoother above 5,000 than it is between 3-5K. That's just how it is.

I would never describe its sixth gear, 75 mph cruising-speed buzzing as troublesome, however. I hate really nasty I4 buzz, and while this motor does buzz a bit, it's not to the level of being any sort of a problem at all. I rode plenty of 500+-mile days on the '17 EX, often droning away on the freeway, right in the heart of that 3-5 buzzy range, and it simply wasn't an issue.

The older I get, the more forums I read, the more I think that people wildly exaggerate issues with their bikes. If they notice something at all, anything at all, it immediately rises to the level of "hand numbing," "unrideable for more than a half hour," "a dealbreaker," etc. It's as if people forgot how motorcycles have always been, and how we as riders managed just fine on them before the advent of the internet, at which point everyone suddenly discovered that their bikes are beset with previously nonexistent problems.

Your bike is fine. Just ride it, get used to it, and enjoy it. If it's not actually malfunctioning, it's not a problem. It's a characteristic, and you'll learn to cope with it if you simply give yourself the chance.
" ... get off the lawn!"

(For full-effect, say it while exhaling to the end of your current breath.)
 
Back
Top