The Old&New Itch

inline4fan_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
When I got back into motorcycles in 2005 I was obsessed with Triumph and ended up with a 1970 'original' to complement the 2002 Bonneville.
Now I'm itching for an old CB (preferably 750 ) to go with the new 1100.
Anybody else have similar inclinations?
Any feedback would be appreciated, especially from members who have both,old and new.
Thanks in advance.
 
I had the itch for the old CBs about 3 or 4 years ago too. Back then I found a mint 1978 CB400 Twin and last year an '81 CB900 Custom. I also had either a modern BMW or Honda at the same time. Having 3 bikes was too much for me, the older ones don't like to sit, and needed more TLC to keep in perfect condition. My garage also was too small.

I sold the old CBs to make room for my 1100 and don't regret selling them. The 1100 fills all my needs and does it smoothly and reliably. While the older bikes fulfilled my need to reconnect with my motorcycle rookie days of the 1970s, IMO, there's nothing better than a modern day fuel injected bike.
 
I had the itch to get a vintage bike a few years back. Fond memories of my '73 BMW R75 had me browsing Craig's List for a good R90S. I found a well kept example in Jacksonville with a motivated seller who allowed me a very extensive test ride. It was a nice bike but compared to the Triumph Tiger 1050 I had at the time it was a letdown. The brakes were "wooden", the engine felt agricultural and the handling just so-so. The test ride convinced me that this was a bike I would love to look at but would rarely use. Modern fuel injection, suspension, brakes and ease of maintenance had left the R90 behind.

I love the CB1100 because it brings together the look of a vintage bike with none of the old bike vices.
 
I have a '78 KZ400, which I bought for the nostalgic value, and it left me stranded a month ago with some sort of carb problem. That reminded me of the tremendous benefit of a new, modern bike when it comes to using it as a vehicle, and not just garage art. For now, the thing just sits, while I decide whether to tear it apart to fix it, or go ahead and sell it to someone who may have a higher tolerance for breakdowns.

It is a real treat to hop on the CB1100, go for a ride, and pretty much know for sure it will get me home without mechanical issues.
 
I've been running old sohc750's and loving them. The new CB just brought me into the modern age. No missing out on a ride because something needed attention. Still love the older stuff. Just don't have to rely on it now.
 
I'm having a big and small itch. The 1100 being "big." While my bank account says otherwise, a 500-650 cc twin would be right up my alley. I might also like having a 350-650 thumper in a dual sport flavor. If something cheap pops up on craigslist, I can't rule out picking up something, though the funds would be competing with my CB farkle budget.
 
I, too, went through the need for an old Honda inline 4 from my first days on motorcycles a few years ago. Looked at dozens (hundreds?) of CB750s, never found the right one. Either found marginal beaters, or nice-to-very nice bikes with Ferrari-like price tags. Finally found a '76 CB550 maybe 3 or 4 years ago, and pulled the trigger...much to my dismay, dealing with an older bike ended up being a huge letdown for me. I sold it a few months later. Shortly after that, the CB1100 was announced, and the rest, as they say, is history!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for your input,all.
For the most part,it brought back memories of struggling to find parts etc.
Changing the head gasket on the T120R was about the limit of my mechanical skills.
Not sure I can find a reasonably priced vintage mechanic around here.
Most dealers don't want to be bothered with the old bikes.
I think I'm probably going to just stick with my 1100 for now!
 
It's very tempting. I even went and bought a CB350F (inline four version). Not a bike was was aching to have in the first place. It did not cure me of the urge to get an other bike with four carbs, but it certainly gave me the courage to walk on by. :D

I find I enjoy riding, taking trips etc. and not so much wrenching. I'd rather wrench than ride in the rain but prepared to do both. For shop time, I'd rather do woodworking.
 
I have several vintage bikes, and I do enjoy them for what they are. But truth be told, I do not have the time to fettle and work on them as much as I would like. And I hesitate to use them for anything more than local rides or shows, because I do not want to have to deal with road side mechanical work on a day I'd like to be riding, should something go awry. I do have a local mechanic who knows his stuff, and can rely on him to keep them in good order.

Of course, the Honda GB500 never fails to start, run and ride beautifully...but that's because it's a Honda! The '68 Norton and '70 Triumph, while for the most part, good runners, require more tolerance and attention. Overall, I enjoy owning and riding the vintage stuff, and if you're blessed with the time, money and proper temperament, vintage machines can be an enjoyable experience.
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
I, too, went through the need for an old Honda inline 4 from my first days on motorcycles a few years ago. Looked at dozens (hundreds?) of CB750s, never found the right one. Either found marginal beaters, or nice-to-very nice bikes with Ferrari-like price tags. Finally found a '76 CB550 maybe 3 or 4 years ago, and pulled the trigger...much to my dismay, dealing with an older bike ended up being a huge letdown for me. I sold it a few months later. Shortly after that, the CB1100 was announced, and the rest, as they say, is history!
Vintage bikes seem to perform much better as a fond memory than they do as a daily reality.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
I, too, went through the need for an old Honda inline 4 from my first days on motorcycles a few years ago. Looked at dozens (hundreds?) of CB750s, never found the right one. Either found marginal beaters, or nice-to-very nice bikes with Ferrari-like price tags. Finally found a '76 CB550 maybe 3 or 4 years ago, and pulled the trigger...much to my dismay, dealing with an older bike ended up being a huge letdown for me. I sold it a few months later. Shortly after that, the CB1100 was announced, and the rest, as they say, is history!
Vintage bikes seem to perform much better as a fond memory than they do as a daily reality.
Vintage bikes seem to perform much better as a fond memory than they do as a daily reality.
Exactly!
 
I've found that my memories of any old vehicle are MUCH better than the reality. I just sold my last vintage Bonneville and don't miss it a bit. Rocket
 
rocket_imp said:
I've found that my memories of any old vehicle are MUCH better than the reality. I just sold my last vintage Bonneville and don't miss it a bit. Rocket
I own an 05 Road King and decided that I "needed" to go back to my roots. So, I bought a 76 FLH. After 3 years of parts, money, and busted knuckles its road-worthy. On the rare occasion that I put on the Voo-Doo headgear, get the fresh chicken blood, and memorize the service manual I start it and ride it. After the 10 minute ride, if I have any feeling left in my hands and feet, I return it to the garage. Then do an inventory of lost and / or loose parts. Usually just a mirror, license plate bolt, maybe a fuel cap. Odometer knobs need to be bought in bulk. Turn signal lenses don't last either.I don't wish to discuss the sidestand that bounced and hit a car. There is no going back.
 
My first ride on the CB1100 was kinda strange. After 10 years of old British trash, I got off the CB, rolled it into the garage & began looking it over for what might need attention. Seriously ! It's a difficult habit to get rid of. Then the light went off & I had to laugh out load. I just push the button; go for a COMFORTABLE ride & return home without any drama or calls to the neighbor for help. Yes. There's no going back.
 
Thread starter
rocket_imp said:
My first ride on the CB1100 was kinda strange. After 10 years of old British trash, I got off the CB, rolled it into the garage & began looking it over for what might need attention. Seriously ! It's a difficult habit to get rid of. Then the light went off & I had to laugh out load. I just push the button; go for a COMFORTABLE ride & return home without any drama or calls to the neighbor for help. Yes. There's no going back.
Have to agree on the difficulty with the old British Bikes.I sure had my share of grief.
 
My only old Brit bike was 69 BSA Rocket 3 750 I bought in 1974. Ran great, started great. COULD NOT get it to stop leaking oil. All my jeans had the same triangular oil stain from oil blowing back on my leg. Eventually sold it to my Doctor.

My new Brit bike 2003 eventually started leaking down around the left side area and continues to leak to this day. My brother owns it now. We could probably fix it, but it's only a drop or two and people expect a Triumph to leak so we just slide cardboard under it and let it mark it's spot.
 
My Shovel's a piece of cuss. My Road King ain't far behind. Still deciding between the Honda and the Bonneville. Too old for this cuss. These bikes are worse than a woman to choose. And yeah, at 55 I have NO problem saying that. I like the site...alot...but lets keep it real and honest. I like old iron but have had it. The Harley riders of NOW are a joke. Cant find there way out of a phone booth. Done babysitting these idiots. The Honda plucks at whats left of my Heartstrings.
 
I have a good memory. That's mainly what keeps me from adding a classic to my stable. Although bikes like the CB750 were considered the ultimate in reliability back in the 70s, they pale in comparison to modern machines. Also, you'd have to readjust to 40 year old suspension, frame and brake technology. It wasn't that great.

For a bike that'll just see occasional use around town and bike meets, it would probably be fine. Unfortunately, I don't have room in the stable for something that'll get limited use like that.

That being said, when I see a nicely restored (or original) classic bike, I'm inclined to stare at it for as long as possible :) I think of 'em like those bikini contest models. Great to look at, as long as someone else is responsible for the upkeep :D
 
Back
Top