The DLX saga

Beemer Guy_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Those who recognize my handle will remember my story. Last year I fell in love with the CB and almost bought a new 2013 from the dealer, but I got cold feet and bailed. This summer the urge returned, and I put out a thread here asking if I were too old and decrepit to ride again. The consensus was no, live a little you big dummy. So I decided that I just had to have a Deluxe, and found a 2014 in Ohio and made a deal with that guy. He delivered it to me here in NC, and as I was looking it over on the trailer, I noticed a dent in the tank and scratches on the tailcase. He claimed to know nothing about either of those, and we negotiated a small discount on the bike. Little did I know...

When I drove it off of the trailer and into the garage, I noticed that the steering was very heavy. Terrible. Later that night, I carefully checked over the mechanicals, and noticed that there was only 10 lbs. of air in the front tire, 20 in the rear. That explained the steering. The next day I took it for a ride, and my wrists started to hurt. My old injuries were flaring back up.

The following week I took it for a nice ride, and after 15 minutes I was in pain. After 30, the pain wasn't worse but it was mostly in my right hand, my carpal tunnel was flaring up and it just wasn't any fun. My riding days are over. So I put the bike up for sale, here, and on Cycletrader.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, mentioned the tank dent. No one wanted the bike, or at least not at my asking price, with that dent in it. It didn't bother me all that much, but it bothered everyone else. So I decided to take it to a Paintless Dent Repair guy, which involved a 40 minute ride (each way) on the highway. The bike rode great, I really enjoyed it (and I hate highway riding) but my tendonitis started acting up after all that, so I knew for sure that my riding days were really over, for sure, no doubt now. The PDR guy got out most of the dent, but it's still there if you look for it.

I'm one of these guys who will not sell something without full disclosure. I'm not going to hide things, hope that the buyer doesn't notice, etc. especially in cases where the shopping is all done remotely. A local buyer can look over the bike carefully, ride it, take it to a shop for a PPI, but someone on the Internet who only has pictures to go by has to rely on my honesty. I was not going to do to the next buyer what was done to me. So I took pictures of all of the damage that I was aware of, and disclosed it when talking to buyers.

Finally I got a buyer, a Canadian fellow who was very excited about it, and after over a week of getting all of the importation paperwork in order, sending deposits, etc., he finally picked it up last night. He brought with him a friend who is a dealer, and he checked it over very carefully. He discovered that not only had it been dropped, as I knew, but that in the drop it also bent the left footpeg and the handlebars. Grrrrr. So, the idiot that I bought it from almost certainly dropped it in his garage or in the driveway, hitting his knee in the process, which dented the tank, and scratched the bar end and the mirror, the crankcase cover and the left exhaust pipe. It also bent the handlebars and the footpeg.

I bought a BMW once from a guy who had done the same thing, but covered up the engine case damage with a set of bars. He claimed to have bumped the garage door, which explained the scratches on the mirror, but he never told me about the other stuff. I was pretty sure that he was lying. When I found the engine damage later, I was very annoyed, but in that case I had really screwed the guy thoroughly on the price (he was out of a job and had to sell the bike) so I felt justified, in hindsight. Hey, he could have said no. That was a great bike, that I owned for many years, farkled it to death, took it to Colorado and rode the Rockies for a week, and is one of those "I shouldn't have sold it" things.



I guess that whole caveat emptor thing really applies to everything.

In this case, I was fortunate to find this buyer, who paid my asking price and is a very nice guy, who sent me a large deposit and paid the balance in cash. So financially, this was not a bad experience.

The CB community here is great (actually, most motorcyclists in general are great folks) and I appreciate all of the positive comments and suggestions and encouragement. I hope you all continue to ride safely and enjoy your wonderful motorcycles. I'll be that guy in the cage, watching wistfully as you ride on by.

Regards,
Michael
 
Glad this had a happy ending for you and the Canadian. HOpe he joins the forum.

Sorry to hear your riding days are over and wish you well going forward..
 
Sorry to see you go. Too late now, but I wouldn't have gave up without trying some options to change the wrist position.

On my bike, I put on bars that are a little wider, and more pulled back. I find it more comfortable and am really happy with the change.

 
Good story, Michael and a reminder to understand that what is one man's perfect condition still requires a thorough check in person. There also has to be a certain amount of trust between buyer and seller.

I once sold a Triumph Speedmaster to a buyer many states away. I sent him a video walk around of the bike, while starting it up and explaining all the changes I had made. The buyer purchased it and had it shipped to himself, all without ever seeing the bike in person. We had lots of conversations during the process, but both took some risks and we both ended up happy! Private owner sales are becoming quite a challenge these days!

Sorry to hear your riding days are over, but a small convertible sports cars are a close second to two wheels! :celebrate:
 
I'm sorry the bike didn't work out for you, Michael. Good you sold it to someone who sounds like he'll really enjoy it.

I hope the injuries settle quickly.
 
All the best to you Michael! Thanks for sharing your story and having a great attitude about it all. There are a lot of good lessons in this for all of us!
 
Eyes wide open. That day is coming for all of us. I respect Michael's honesty and humility in accepting his truth. For the rest of us, let's hope it doesn't take an unfortunate incident before we're convinced of ours.
 
Look at it this way, you are one of the very few in this country that have owned a CB1100DLX, the rarest and most sought after of the CB's.
 
Glad the sale worked out for you.

I bought a ZRX 1200 from a CEO of a medical company in Louisville Kentucky a few years back site unseen. Low price bike about 3300.00. He was the 3rd owner, honest guy but knew nothing about motorcycles. He did not know all the underlying issue with the bike. You can find honest people and still get beat up. I spent the better part of the winter and 1200.00 in parts to correct the problems. If there not the original owner they have no idea what the PO's have done. He did refund my shipping fee's of 550.00 after I sent him pic's of all the issues.
 
It's tough buying and selling used stuff. Since I never know what may have happened under someone else previous watch, I always disclaim when I sell.
As-is, no refunds. People that are smart buyers usually either have a mechanic check the potential purchase OR as your buyer did, bring someone knowledgable with them. I bought a T-bird convertible recently. I had it checked out by 2 mechanics who gave it a clean bill. About 2 months in the a/c compressor went bad. There are no guarantees!!!!! All the best in the future my friend ;)
 
Back
Top