The Coronavirus Chronicles -Three Strikes You're Out

I made an early morning "senior hour" run for groceries amid a torrent of wind and rain. It was my first time shopping in three weeks.
I waited for a lousy day and was hoping the bad weather would keep people home and it seemed to. Very few people around and next to no traffic.
I should be good for another three weeks and will be hoping for better times by then - but probably not :@
 
Saw this photo on drudgereport.com. I think they are police.

cb6916cb5dfb8e6b4b6ae88f12bef248.jpeg
 
Today I had nearly two hours of mental exercise as I went on a long bike ride. Quite a few bikes on the road and very few Troopers/sheriffs /Police.
I had put a shopping list in my pocket incase they would stop me but still a lot of cars on the road as well in WNC.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Today I had nearly two hours of mental exercise as I went on a long bike ride. Quite a few bikes on the road and very few Troopers/sheriffs /Police.
I had put a shopping list in my pocket incase they would stop me but still a lot of cars on the road as well in WNC.
Lots of cars out here but folks are really starting to take the distancing and mask thing more seriously. Went shopping at Trader Joe's at 8:30 am as they have 60+ from 8-9am. Walking out, I got a lot of stink-eye from the youngsters in line to get in at 9. I guess with this mask on they couldn't see my wrinkles, just my youthful biker physique :P
Anyhow, I scored the first toilet paper I have seen on the shelf for three weeks. And got flour, brown sugar, tofu for the daughter, and eggs. The checkout lady was incredulous that we didn't need more of everything. We are trying not to be greedy... so far :thumbsup:
 
Lockdown update:

Today I melted an ice cube with my mind just by staring at it.

It took a lot longer than I thought it would.
 
↑↑↑↑ Ok, that made me laugh : ) ... your tag line never sounded so prophet as it does these days.
 
I'm trying to watch my diet, sort of, while cooped up. I find that filleting the fat out of the bacon before cooking is good for passing the time and probably saves a lot of calories. Makes watching the ice melt go faster.

Ben
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lockdown update:

Today I melted an ice cube with my mind just by staring at it.

It took a lot longer than I thought it would.
:rofl: What an amazing mental feat, Ferret. Good work.
 
I’ve been enriching Amazon and Apple.

Turns out the internet can be bad for your wallet. And Apple Wallet :)
 
This is the greatest moment in world history for doing home projects.

Finally added a garage door opener to my "barn":



To complete the job, I had to pop out to get some important hardware items:

e0313e736dae561fb6ba64290601c9bc.jpg


But now I can put a remote in my riding jacket:

dedba0dcb8055372b8494524afe3e330.jpg


Added an oil catch can to my 124 Spider:

caa43096c23e379eeb303d183a119e89.jpg


Then changed its oil:

24635d4b4c0af083e7c18ef51b030a2c.jpg


Added a Wi-Fi hotspot to the barn (still waiting for delivery of long-range wireless bridge):

96824706959dfffb2d53d7045e0b37e4.jpg


I did miss getting to head back east to see my old high school buddy's latest acquisition, a 2006 Dodge Viper roadset:

17d7af9ed4438c0ad80592a3ce054b54.jpg


Gotta keep busy or else end up looking like this from stress eating / boredom snacking:

1c9042d4ce19ea68ceee188f746846c7.jpg
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I’ve been enriching Amazon and Apple.

Turns out the internet can be bad for your wallet. And Apple Wallet :)
Bet it's not bad for Apple's Wallet! :D
I'm glad you're keeping busy, Stichill.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Michael1954... keep in mind as you try to figure out what is expected of you these days; those higher up the chain really have no idea what to do, either. Just do the best you can for the kids and it'll be fine. You are a pro and you have mad skills.

I print t-shirts and since the crisis got going around three weeks ago my phone hasn't been ringing at all. At ALL. But this week the calls have started again. It is teachers calling. Band directors, a math team advisor, track and field and hockey coaches. They are ordering shirts for their students as a reminder that things will return to normalcy soon and to motivate them to study, to practice, to keep their heads in the game.

So, to all the teachers on here, please know that us "civilians" appreciate all you do. My girls are both done with school and gainfully employed, all thanks to their teachers through the years. I'm so sorry that your world is upside down these days. We all pray that things return to normal for you and everyone else soon.:thumbsup:
Hi, thank You! Could you post a pix of the t-shirt? Michael
 
I miss not riding the bike.
I decided to sell my little CBR300R via my local dealer.
Now the lockdown is in place, the dealer has closed until advised they can reopen, which means they have my bike and it can't be sold so I have to just wait.
The CB1100 is on charge in the garage.

I've been working from home for a while now. This is my 4th week. My job hasn't been furloughed yet and I'm on the 'core' team to help keep the business ticking over.

I have been out cycling loads and I still see people out, flouting the rule book; idiots.....

Also, not having a 2nd bike means I have spent more time on my latest car.....a little '98 MX5/Miata which I've been tidying over time. Can't wait for the lockdown to pass so I can get out on the bike and in the car.

Stay safe everyone.
 
Buzzard Biker_imp said:
I miss not riding the bike.
I decided to sell my little CBR300R via my local dealer.
Now the lockdown is in place, the dealer has closed until advised they can reopen, which means they have my bike and it can't be sold so I have to just wait.
The CB1100 is on charge in the garage.

I've been working from home for a while now. This is my 4th week. My job hasn't been furloughed yet and I'm on the 'core' team to help keep the business ticking over.

I have been out cycling loads and I still see people out, flouting the rule book; idiots.....

Also, not having a 2nd bike means I have spent more time on my latest car.....a little '98 MX5/Miata which I've been tidying over time. Can't wait for the lockdown to pass so I can get out on the bike and in the car.

Stay safe everyone.
Aw, too bad. My CBR250R was my first bike, and I've had two others bought and sold in the meantime. The CBR250R is still in my garage; will probably never part with it.

Buzzard Biker_imp said:
I miss not riding the bike.
I decided to sell my little CBR300R via my local dealer.
Now the lockdown is in place, the dealer has closed until advised they can reopen, which means they have my bike and it can't be sold so I have to just wait.
The CB1100 is on charge in the garage.

I've been working from home for a while now. This is my 4th week. My job hasn't been furloughed yet and I'm on the 'core' team to help keep the business ticking over.

I have been out cycling loads and I still see people out, flouting the rule book; idiots.....

Also, not having a 2nd bike means I have spent more time on my latest car.....a little '98 MX5/Miata which I've been tidying over time. Can't wait for the lockdown to pass so I can get out on the bike and in the car.

Stay safe everyone.
Nice! My buddy had a '92, the ultimate "British" sports car. :)
 
Buzzard Biker_imp said:
I miss not riding the bike.
I decided to sell my little CBR300R via my local dealer.
Now the lockdown is in place, the dealer has closed until advised they can reopen, which means they have my bike and it can't be sold so I have to just wait.
The CB1100 is on charge in the garage.

I've been working from home for a while now. This is my 4th week. My job hasn't been furloughed yet and I'm on the 'core' team to help keep the business ticking over.

I have been out cycling loads and I still see people out, flouting the rule book; idiots.....

Also, not having a 2nd bike means I have spent more time on my latest car.....a little '98 MX5/Miata which I've been tidying over time. Can't wait for the lockdown to pass so I can get out on the bike and in the car.

Stay safe everyone.
BB, I always try to be careful about forum exchanges so the other party doesn't take a question / comment in a way I didn't intend. So to be clear, I'm asking for more information, not to point out an apparent irony:

You are out cyclying and you see other people out, and obviously you are critical of "them" because they aren't following the lockdown rules, yet you are both "outside". What rules are they not heeding? Do you mean they are out walking in groups, riding motorcycles opposed to bicycles? Do you mean there are many more cars on the road than you thought there should be? Just wondering what "lockdown" means in other places and how strict rules are.

Here, I believe we're told it's ok to do outdoor exercise, but not "team based" like basketball, soccer...but hiking, biking, walks, ok. But then hiking, for example, meaning can we drive to the hiking area? I think so. But we have to check the hiking area, because some are state / city parks and they are closed to parking.

I have a decent hike in the woods that I can walk to, so I've been doing that instead of driving to more distant, preferred hiking areas.
 
I live near Valley Forge National Park which has an extensive network of trails throughout it. The first weekend of the lockdown I road through the park and it was PACKED. People and cars all over the place. The complete opposite of social distancing. They closed the park soon after.
 
Our local Ohio state park, although very rural, sees a lot of action when it's sunny and 70+. According to the rules of our Stay at Home order, people are allowed to go to the park as long as they maintain social distancing of 6'. From what I have seen when riding through, people are observing that for the most part, although there are always some .....

There are still 8 states I think that have no orders at all other than to observe social distancing.
 
I keep reading that my state, Kentucky, has a "Stay At Home" order in effect but it's rarely explained what that means. After reading the government website, it seems to mean this:
[ul] [li]If you have tested positive for COVID-19[/li] [li]Or have symptoms that indicate you may or likely do have COVID-19[/li] [li]Or live with someone subject to either of the above[/li] [li]You are ordered to stay at home
[/li][/ul]
For everyone else, you are being asked to adhere to proper hygiene / social distancing and limit trips outside the home except for essential needs like work, groceries, pharmacy, or medical. That being said, it seems like there isn't really a restriction on being out and about, as long as you are keeping to yourself and not mingling with others. The weather was fine here this past weekend and I heard a lot of motorcycles riding past my house (I live on a popular rural road for motorcycles). The police weren't bothering them, nor IMO, should they.
 
Buzzard Biker_imp said:
I miss not riding the bike.
I decided to sell my little CBR300R via my local dealer.
Now the lockdown is in place, the dealer has closed until advised they can reopen, which means they have my bike and it can't be sold so I have to just wait.
The CB1100 is on charge in the garage.

I've been working from home for a while now. This is my 4th week. My job hasn't been furloughed yet and I'm on the 'core' team to help keep the business ticking over.

I have been out cycling loads and I still see people out, flouting the rule book; idiots.....

Also, not having a 2nd bike means I have spent more time on my latest car.....a little '98 MX5/Miata which I've been tidying over time. Can't wait for the lockdown to pass so I can get out on the bike and in the car.

Stay safe everyone.
Maybe Razor will post some photos of his Miata project for you. It was scary cool.
 
Back
Top