The Coronavirus Chronicles -Three Strikes You're Out

Quote:I remember seeing the Mercy in Timor Leste in 2008. A very imposing vessel doing great work.
It was an impressive sight, and with the local Southern California news hyping the Mercy coming to L.A. Harbor to serve as an overflow hospital, lots of people wanted to come see it. I figured it would have moored at a more commercial section of the harbor, and didn't know it would be docked at the main cruise ship terminal. This makes it very prominent to local traffic, but it makes the most sense, as that location is adjacent to a freeway, has easy access, plenty of warehouse space, and is away from the freight traffic that criss-crosses the rest of the harbor area.

While the entire area around the ship is understandably blocked to the public, in normal times, my wife and I enjoy the viewing area set up across from the cruise terminal, where you can sit and watch the various tender ships come up to service the cruise ships, and see them maneuver away from the dock to leave the harbor. You can also watch the huge cranes load and unload the cargo ships nearby.
 
7 days, 7 rides, 148 miles total (had to go get gas today on my park ride, so got in an extra 8 miles woohoo). I need to go to a park further from my house lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Getting ready to ride in about an hour.

Yesterday the Governor put us on a mandatory Stay At Home order effective from 11:59 tonight until April 6. However in that order, you are allowed to exercise: walk, jog, run, "bike" or walk your dog. I figure riding my bike is certainly within the context of those rules as it is my only form of exercise.

You are also allowed to go to the grocery. Wife and I did that this morning. Our local Kroger's grocery started a "senior hour" from 7am-8am on Monday's, so that seniors might be able to get supplies they need. Today was the first day. We figured not too many would know about it yet and we'd share the store with a few other couples. HA! My wife and I got there at 7 and seniors, many wearing masks, were lined up out front standing in the rain, waiting to go in. We almost turned around and went back home, but the line was beginning to move so we got in line.The Governor's order must have put every senior in the county in a panic. Inside was a mad house. TP was gone by 7:15, eggs by 7:20, bread by 7:25. You couldn't get near the meat counters. People rushing to get stuff, going every direction. Cart jams at the end of every isle. There were 13 check out lines with at least 10 carts in every one of them trying to check out. What a fun time. NOT.
Hi, our Dollar General in Odem, Texas akso has a Senior hour from 8AM to 9AM. We have finally been able to buy TP at the store! Can you believe that? What an item to hoard.
 
michael1954_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Getting ready to ride in about an hour.

Yesterday the Governor put us on a mandatory Stay At Home order effective from 11:59 tonight until April 6. However in that order, you are allowed to exercise: walk, jog, run, "bike" or walk your dog. I figure riding my bike is certainly within the context of those rules as it is my only form of exercise.

You are also allowed to go to the grocery. Wife and I did that this morning. Our local Kroger's grocery started a "senior hour" from 7am-8am on Monday's, so that seniors might be able to get supplies they need. Today was the first day. We figured not too many would know about it yet and we'd share the store with a few other couples. HA! My wife and I got there at 7 and seniors, many wearing masks, were lined up out front standing in the rain, waiting to go in. We almost turned around and went back home, but the line was beginning to move so we got in line.The Governor's order must have put every senior in the county in a panic. Inside was a mad house. TP was gone by 7:15, eggs by 7:20, bread by 7:25. You couldn't get near the meat counters. People rushing to get stuff, going every direction. Cart jams at the end of every isle. There were 13 check out lines with at least 10 carts in every one of them trying to check out. What a fun time. NOT.
Hi, our Dollar General in Odem, Texas akso has a Senior hour from 8AM to 9AM. We have finally been able to buy TP at the store! Can you believe that? What an item to hoard.
Congrats michael1954. This rush on stuff is maddening and unexplainable
 
Working home for the duration. Late last week during lunch break, I threw on some old pants and shoes and ripped around our property, getting some sunshine and mud for 30 minutes. Great antidote to videoconference fatigue! I came back refreshed and ready to be productive the rest of the afternoon.

f22579c44419af288897d99abbecd9dd.jpg


72a81a62139412527d6279f0d0429334.jpg


8d705d13c704a25dfd839e577c9df3d2.jpg
 
Looks like a whole lot of fun Stichill
 
Things are a bit different here as most businesses are open, churches have suspended services, most restaurants are now take-out at the curb and there are a few nearby cities that have imposed curfews. Went to the grocery store this afternoon; plenty of TP though buyers were limited to two six packs. There was a little panic buying at first but that seems to have stopped. There are two confirmed virus cases in my county and none in two neighboring counties.
 
Houtman, as long as we aren't saying, some months from now "Remember when toilet paper was cheaper than beer?"
 
zirconxi_imp said:
I haven't touch my bike since my country announced movement control order. Working in the food industry which are allowed to continue to work, i have been driving to work everyday since day 1 of the Order. Most bikers here stop riding for the sake of others.
The success or failure of the Order will depends on everyone cooperation. Military were deployed after 1 weeks of only 60% compliance... And the numbers of infected patients is growing by day. Government even reach out to private hospital to loan ventilators. And some hospital emergency units were temporary shut down due to visit by patients who are infected, whom them self are not aware.
I had tried practice social distancing everyday and there will be some idiots who will just bump into you while they move.. Some might felt the movement control order are in-humane or violate the basic human rights, I guess its all depends on if the person is self centered or community centered.

Such once in a life time chance of "being a hero by just staying home" doesn't come by often. So why not, just stay at home and be a hero, unless you are needed elsewhere as a hero.
I guess I fit in the curve of still riding because I feel safer riding alone than anywhere else. I teach school and cannot go to work, only post help for assignments I left at school. In south Texas, the numbers are rising and I believe are a lot worse than the govt will say. Not enough testing here, and we are going to get caught in the upswing of the curve I'm afraid. Riding alone out in the open country, Texas has a lot of it, I do not feel threatened by man or disease. I pray we all come through okay, since many of us are in the older half of the spectrum.
 
michael1954_imp said:
zirconxi_imp said:
I haven't touch my bike since my country announced movement control order. Working in the food industry which are allowed to continue to work, i have been driving to work everyday since day 1 of the Order. Most bikers here stop riding for the sake of others.
The success or failure of the Order will depends on everyone cooperation. Military were deployed after 1 weeks of only 60% compliance... And the numbers of infected patients is growing by day. Government even reach out to private hospital to loan ventilators. And some hospital emergency units were temporary shut down due to visit by patients who are infected, whom them self are not aware.
I had tried practice social distancing everyday and there will be some idiots who will just bump into you while they move.. Some might felt the movement control order are in-humane or violate the basic human rights, I guess its all depends on if the person is self centered or community centered.

Such once in a life time chance of "being a hero by just staying home" doesn't come by often. So why not, just stay at home and be a hero, unless you are needed elsewhere as a hero.
I guess I fit in the curve of still riding because I feel safer riding alone than anywhere else. I teach school and cannot go to work, only post help for assignments I left at school. In south Texas, the numbers are rising and I believe are a lot worse than the govt will say. Not enough testing here, and we are going to get caught in the upswing of the curve I'm afraid. Riding alone out in the open country, Texas has a lot of it, I do not feel threatened by man or disease. I pray we all come through okay, since many of us are in the older half of the spectrum.
Yes! Love this. :thumbsup:
pdedse_imp said:
great looking bike, Stichill, and love what you did to your pants!
Thanks! I have this CRF230F and a CRF150F as well. I like them both just about equally and can never decide which one to ride. I call this "pasture riding" and at this time of year, the soil is pretty soggy and the tires throw quite a bit of watery mud! :)
 
I teach and have been home since March 13th. It was announced with 40 minutes left in the day.

I went back once to get my laptop, etc. My room looked like it was frozen in time, 70 half built rockets hanging from the ceiling...a weird feeling.

My wife is a nurse. Still goes to work in NICU (neonatal intensive care).

They are under equipped to deal with this. Hand sewed mask, no N95s.

I'm a prime target, if she brings something home I'll let you know.
 
My wife is also a nurse , retired once and went back to work after finding out that I am not as nice as she once thought....
She now works weekends only in a high class retirement facility with so far enough supplies. Hopefully all will be ok.
 
Sending love to all you guys who are in harm's way. Thanks to your wives for sticking to the job at hand and for y'all supporting them in this.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Sending love to all you guys who are in harm's way. Thanks to your wives for sticking to the job at hand and for y'all supporting them in this.
+1
 
A word of warning as we are still moving about right now. This may only apply to larger cities like my surroundings, but it bears watching out for.

This morning, my wife and I went to Walmart to stock up on food and medicine. Driving to and from the store, we noticed people driving more erratically - making sudden mid-block U-turns, suddenly slamming on the brakes and turning into parking lots, and generally darting around. We passed an accident on the way.

I imagine that as people are shopping, and not finding what they need, they are going from one store to another trying to find the out of stock products, and getting increasingly desperate as they do so.

If you're going out, take care, stay frosty, and stay safe!
 
My wife went to our local grocery today. Crowd was smaller than usual she said, and most everything was in stock except meat and chicken, but she was able to get most everything else on the list. Everything is pretty quiet around here, but then we are a rural community. Only saw 3 people on today's ride to the park, an older woman walking a little dog, and older gentleman with coat and ear muffs on standing on the lake shore staring at the water, and a millennial age guy unloading a bike from the rack on the back of his car in the parking lot. It's only 46 degrees and overcast which may explain to the small crowd today.
 
Back
Top