The Coronavirus Chronicles -Three Strikes You're Out

Staying in would drive me up to the WALL , going for a bike ride this Saturday and Sunday , keeping my mind sane is part of my overall health.
 
Got in my 70 miles today. Worried about finding a restroom....lucky to live in a area where you find a spot you can see a mile in every direction ;-)

Cormanus it's strange how we never think about your season being opposite ours.

Google shows: Winter 2020 in Australia will begin on

Monday, June 1

and ends on

Monday, August 31
 
Just covered my bike again, after only 2 days ridden some 2 weeks ago.
Unlike Australia, winter is leaving for good and the only obstacle I can see is the coronaV:-/
Well, all members think positive and we will prevail :)
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Got in my 70 miles today. Worried about finding a restroom....lucky to live in a area where you find a spot you can see a mile in every direction ;-)

Cormanus it's strange how we never think about your season being opposite ours.

Google shows: Winter 2020 in Australia will begin on

Monday, June 1

and ends on

Monday, August 31
Yes. We're into autumn (fall) now which is providing a little respite from what has been an occasionally very hot summer.
 
Got in 50 miles this afternoon and it did a lot to alleviate the stress of being couped up all week. More traffic than I was expecting and a fair amount of bikes.
 
As of yesterday I’m now furloughed from both of my jobs. So, only essential spending and deferral of as many bills as possible. I reminded my wife that my CB gets better fuel mileage than either of our cars. She agreed, so that’s a plus. I can ride to forage for our basic supplies and to go steal toilet paper from my vacant office.

My annual registration is due. They are suspending issuing violations for expired tags, so I’m thinking of paying the minimal non operational fee and paying the full registration when I am back to work.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
As of yesterday I’m now furloughed from both of my jobs. So, only essential spending and deferral of as many bills as possible. I reminded my wife that my CB gets better fuel mileage than either of our cars. She agreed, so that’s a plus. I can ride to forage for our basic supplies and to go steal toilet paper from my vacant office.

My annual registration is due. They are suspending issuing violations for expired tags, so I’m thinking of paying the minimal non operational fee and paying the full registration when I am back to work.
Sorry to hear this; I hope things turn around for us so that people don't suffer too greatly.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if all money exchange just stopped for one month--if we couldn't just freeze everything--no bills, no fees, no cost basic groceries, no interest, and yes...no salaries, nada, nothing, nobody pays, nobody collects...no rents, no mortage payments due, but neither do banks pay customers interest, no money movement for a month. I wonder if that wouldn't save jobs and peoples' livlihoods.

I know, I know pipe-dream, it would never work 'cause people would take advantage, how would you control how much they would buy, what about people who have to work vs. those who are ordered to stay home, but this, but that, etc... etc. etc.

I'm not saying it's what we should and can do, just dreamin' if it couldn't work....wishing, hoping people don't lose their jobs. It could take the worry away for 30 days. I'll bet things wouldn't crash. It might help people relax a bit.
 
Somebody stole the toilet paper out of my mom's shopping cart yesterday before she could get to the register. That's all I need to know about how society would react to a proposal like that.
 
That's pretty sad. isn't your mom 80? Someone stole an 80 year old lady's tp? If she were close I'd take her a pack.
 
Thanks, Ferret. Yes, she is turning 80 this month. She downplayed the episode, saying she had plenty of TP, but was worried that we might need some, and wanted to give it to me the next time I came by. She was actually more upset that the Costco wasn't stocking the large bags of bird seed for her feeders yet. Still, it really got my goat, makes it hard not to think that this is bringing out the worst in some people.
 
Today I did a 120 mile trip , they are officially " closing down " NC by 5 pm on Monday. Only very restrictive travel will be allowed. This will be taken very broadly by some people. It was very windy on I 26 today and the heavier CB 1100 has no problems with that.
My next ride will be ???
 
We do not have dr/riding restrictions yet in Ontario. Windy, rainy, cloudy and not so warm as predicted. Was able to find a sunny hole, gassed and span my CB for about 20 miles. Better this than nothing. Looks like 2 more weeks without any ride due to weather + who knows ????
 
I went for anther "Omega Man" ride today. Realized that I won't be in the office for quite a while, and that's where I left my good coffee, along with some food that will go bad, and felt the need to swipe a few more rolls of toilet paper that nobody is going to need.

Extended the stop-and-grab into a ride to the L.A. Harbor area. I grew up around there, and make it a destination now when I get the chance to go for a pleasure ride. Saw some interesting things. In Long Beach at this time normally, there would be plenty of barricades, grandstands and temporary garages for the upcoming Long Beach Grand Prix. But, since the race was cancelled around the time they were starting to set up for it, there are a few grandstands in place, along with some track barriers here and there. In the parking lot of the convention center, there are several flatbed trailers with stacks of materials. Not sure if they are in the process of tearing everything back down, or if the partially loaded trailers were just left when setup for the race was abandoned. There are homeless tents under some of the grandstands that are up.

As I neared and crossed the Vincent Thomas Bridge into San Pedro, the otherwise desolate roads became a bit more crowded, especially with people who looked and drove like they were a bit out of place, and looking for something.

I soon found out what the crowd was interested in. The USNS Hospital Ship Mercy is docked at the cruise ship terminal, and had attracted quite a crowd of people who wanted to get pictures of it. I didn't feel like getting near the rabble, so I stopped down the road in a freight loading area, and grabbed a picture. In the picture here, it's framed between two pylons of the Vincent Thomas Bridge.

Beach parking lots and piers are closed to help keep people from congregating. Still, a few surfers and beach trail walkers were out, along with plenty of motorcycles enjoying the beautiful day.
 



The rapeseed flower ist starting very early this year in the end of march. A sign of hope in these times? I hope so.

The battery of the CB seems to have come to end after 7 years. When I arrived home, the starter only made an unkown weak sound and the instruments gave uncommon signs going round like mad with the fuel pump going off and on each new try without me interrupting the ignition in the position On. I now check it and then order a new one via internet, all shops in my town are closed, if the voltmeter shows a too low value under 12,5V while the battery is resting.

Stay healthy everyone!

Wisedrum
 
I remember seeing the Mercy in Timor Leste in 2008. A very imposing vessel doing great work.
 
I agree, Gi60, doodling around an old haunt is relaxing. Beautiful photo, Wisedrum...wonderful sign of spring.
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
The rapeseed flower ist starting very early this year in the end of march. A sign of hope in these times? I hope so.

The battery of the CB seems to have come to end after 7 years. When I arrived home, the starter only made an unkown weak sound and the instruments gave uncommon signs going round like mad with the fuel pump going off and on each new try without me interrupting the ignition in the position On. I now check it and then order a new one via internet, all shops in my town are closed, if the voltmeter shows a too low value under 12,5V while the battery is resting.

Stay healthy everyone!

Wisedrum
That is a beautiful photo of a great looking bike. Good thing your ride was kind to you to make it home before problems.
 
Last Friday I took a ride up to the Blue Ridge Parkway National Park from its terminus at Front Royal, VA to Rt. 211, about 200 miles total from home and back. Normally there is a $30 (!) fee to access the parkway at the National Park part but the booths are abandoned and the road is open so it's a good time to ride up there. I rode with a couple of old friends (some of you will remember Jim and his KTM 1290 land yacht) while keeping proper social distance between us. Route 211 the best 5 miles of road we have around these parts. And it ends at a sweet little ice cream place with outside tables, so that was perfect. Here is the world's worst ride photo... it was much prettier in person. I guess I need to upgrade my iPhone :P
 
Back
Top