Day 7
I had to be in Battle Creek by the end of the day.....I stayed along the coast as long as I could then headed inland.
Right before the sand dunes yesterday I passed the 45th Parallel....the days are longer as you go north....it got dark around 9:30.
I followed US bicycle 35 to stay along the coast.
After that ran out I followed the Shoreline Trail
I was surprised to run into a hydroelectric dam and generating plant along the lake.
Luddington had a great park....I stopped there and had a snack.
Luddington is also where the SS Badger is located that takes you across the lake....at first I thought this big ferry was it, but it wasn't...it was still big!
The surprise of the day was this great little out in the middle of no where place to eat.
I was coming down the road and saw this
At first I didn't see the building and thought it was a family picnic with people sitting outside eating at picnic tables.
As I got closer I was surprised to see the building
When I saw "Hot Fried Fish" I knew I had to stop.
This evidently was a well know local favorite for generations
The variety of fish was impressive
The smoked fish looked very good!
I got the fried scallops
I ran into a town that rents jeeps and takes people to ride over sand dunes at Mears, MI....looked like fun.
All the jeeps had BIG FLAGS on their front bumpers probably 10-12 feet high.....took me a while to figure out why they were there.
After that I headed inland to Battle Creek and called it a day.
Day 8
I superslabed it home .....almost....I did find a nice road I wonder how I never knew about ...IN 39 from I-70 to Martinsville, IN
I set a new record of 446 miles in one day!
Total for the trip 2477 miles....put me at 6306 miles in the approximate 2 months I have this bike....took me 4 years to put 7000 on my CB1100
Now I go back to normal life. Thanks to everyone for all the tips, roads, stops! The only rain was the first 2 days....The temps were perfect.....I passed my experiment of living out of what I could carry on a motorcycle for 8 days....I'd call it a successful trip!