The Circle Tour

Looks like you're having a great time (except with technology). Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.
 
Thread starter
Day 6

Weather worked out perfect! 67 to 74 degrees all day long. Example picture below 67 degrees at 10:34 AM.

d638640841547ce8082effccfb369d31.jpg


Rained hard that night, woke up to this view:

ef9dc387b4538b2eece08a3e3929cb2b.jpg


Past Radar

ad967b1549372065e11149193a4fc4b9.jpg


Future Radar

7d3e53d5c13dff8a341106f640cbd7df.jpg


I'll have to say, this east coast of Lake Michigan has the most amazing views so far!

Road 119 started me out. I basically tried to take any road nearest the water that wasn't a dead end.

First saw the Legs Inn Empty Sea mention....it was mid morning so didn't stop.

Then the tunnel of trees:

a6cf60feeb6235fc72a16beb76308d79.jpg


Didn't disappoint, it was very cool. This was the view from someone's front yard.

0806e0ae160a6369380550f8e19b64c7.jpg


One house had the biggest rocks I've ever seen used for a chimney.

ddc04359fd0caed582405905e8d9a730.jpg


Harbor Springs was probably my favorite views.

9a9fe71be20519ec87750264f423832c.jpg


This is how they get privacy on their docks.

d2e4e93949d21217ef89d51be60837a8.jpg


What a great Weeping Willow Tree.....they had bike paths everywhere!

eec04c7cc042a989e36440d7bd373948.jpg

Then on to Petosky

06ec7112f7c91a81c6f89ccce8f254ea.jpg


f3bca96d7160abf7aebc5b6a9d9da7e0.jpg


6541a5285ff04a8a0635988606650166.jpg


Here is your $700,000 view!

8bb3297804f9e7906db11fe7fc84a699.jpg


f3b3f0873ef1b7dfad50764bec1003ab.jpg


Then Traverse City....lots of boats!

6a0079296f8872ab67894ba393234780.jpg


Finally made it up to Suttons Bay to the restaurant Empty Sea recommended VI Grille.....it was great!

Luckily they had Wi-Fi so I could make my hotel reservation in Manistee for that night on my laptop/tablet since my phone was dying.

c1b70e65d1cca578fca5802d231df412.jpg


Went on up to Northport....Road 22 was great all the way!

Made to Sleeping Bear Dunes.....I needed local help to find the big one.

e397dca88b9e6ed443facd0d20d41226.jpg


2ced70f0e5124fa36c744ec4f6af923f.jpg


Didn't really need the rain jacket but it was also an excellent wind breaker over my mesh jacket and 67 degree temps.
cdda4770582f3aace8124255c209476c.jpg


Ended the day with a great view coming down a hill at Arcadia

2df8f3db6fe82771a438464bf032cd27.jpg


00b7b126f6a7ae2eec95aad1191add93.jpg


This was far the best views of the trip!

ae0dba0e0deae5bae965ff0c839be70d.jpg
 
Oh..this is so great to read! We stopped for coffee in Harbor Springs on our Circle Tour, right before hitting Tunnel of Trees. I loved that harbor view. One of my best friends, Mike G. (Black Goldwing for those who have read my Seat Time reports) has a house in Suttons Bay...you rode right past it. He'll be tickled that you stopped at VI; it's one of his favorite places.

I love riding around up there...it's not particularly challenging, although there are curves and hills, but what that's countered by sheer beauty. Glad you were able to enjoy it in ideal temps.
 
Thread starter
Day 7

I had to be in Battle Creek by the end of the day.....I stayed along the coast as long as I could then headed inland.

Right before the sand dunes yesterday I passed the 45th Parallel....the days are longer as you go north....it got dark around 9:30.

97d609e99219919323df1aa6e213bb2c.jpg


I followed US bicycle 35 to stay along the coast.

6471ed229ee2ea52b7ae57f176568931.jpg


After that ran out I followed the Shoreline Trail

ee64d3d3a5f5b917d6028e1fc4b19488.jpg


I was surprised to run into a hydroelectric dam and generating plant along the lake.

1e1347ab44125c5966ef42226c60f885.jpg


Luddington had a great park....I stopped there and had a snack.

b5838c1b45e36a4c1a7eb3c8059a328d.jpg


da318f219c80c6cfdb24e1739504e113.jpg


d5fd45fbc41a5148f02930f6cdac0cde.jpg


Luddington is also where the SS Badger is located that takes you across the lake....at first I thought this big ferry was it, but it wasn't...it was still big!

0040f7f81d80229b02729032d457598b.jpg


c2c5f5e48e99f109f2d191f4c5161db2.jpg


The surprise of the day was this great little out in the middle of no where place to eat.

I was coming down the road and saw this

ab9514ac8bd91b663c502640f3d53e86.jpg


At first I didn't see the building and thought it was a family picnic with people sitting outside eating at picnic tables.

As I got closer I was surprised to see the building

615fa7fe6d1aafa15cc25c2381e271d6.jpg


When I saw "Hot Fried Fish" I knew I had to stop.

eabb9ab4d4d16cd05856198969ccb807.jpg


6dd88a7e2c355930325c3f0e70076563.jpg

This evidently was a well know local favorite for generations

b90a8640fa23144fa45463d6d0e61b19.jpg


2dafa1ea1fb338399ec03eda1afa76f0.jpg


The variety of fish was impressive

0c5a02a433fb127b67cc9dbd7551e191.jpg


3730206f0f351d0189f1d37367ff3e4b.jpg


The smoked fish looked very good!

67cf90522b4b76fa07a130d9f419594d.jpg


e4a1de69a264fda6a52161514dfbe912.jpg


I got the fried scallops

8c308321b157d2f08f86439910aea954.jpg


I ran into a town that rents jeeps and takes people to ride over sand dunes at Mears, MI....looked like fun.

All the jeeps had BIG FLAGS on their front bumpers probably 10-12 feet high.....took me a while to figure out why they were there.

8887b42b465f771da6bbf577c3ae20fe.jpg


After that I headed inland to Battle Creek and called it a day.

fc68e027dd8569aae2a408b952ac53cc.jpg


Day 8

I superslabed it home .....almost....I did find a nice road I wonder how I never knew about ...IN 39 from I-70 to Martinsville, IN

b937186e41c0cf03b3fa36382fed18db.jpg


I set a new record of 446 miles in one day!

37adc5dca820c07868f9f14c4c1ff587.jpg


Total for the trip 2477 miles....put me at 6306 miles in the approximate 2 months I have this bike....took me 4 years to put 7000 on my CB1100

80991fb998b65aa496552d3f71688437.jpg


Now I go back to normal life. Thanks to everyone for all the tips, roads, stops! The only rain was the first 2 days....The temps were perfect.....I passed my experiment of living out of what I could carry on a motorcycle for 8 days....I'd call it a successful trip!
 
Nice one offroad. Please do it again soon. I've enjoyed following along immensely. Perhaps you could do a decent trip on the CB for the purposes of comparison?
 
Awesome, awesome, awesome! What a great trip for you offroad. And great pics too. My how you've blossomed as a motorcyclist. You can pound the curves now and spend all day in the saddle. Think about that. Now there is nowhere out of reach for you on two wheels. Your limitations are now are only limited by your imagination and desires. (well, and the school system lol). Congrats.

So the big Beemer did well? And How did you like the Michelin tires?
 
Thread starter
Thanks!

There were no technically challenging curves, but the Michelins did great. They never wiggled in the rain and I was careful to watch out for the sand.

What I learned the most is how much I need my luggage/backrest. I went one day without it and regretted it.

Below is what I have setting in the passenger seat.....fits perfectly again the top case. It has an adjustable Velcro backrest pad on the other side.

Using all dry fit under wear I was able to put 9 days worth of clothes in there.
0e2115ada4a259085353cba2aab45863.jpg
 
I've been on the Jeep tour at Mears (actually Silver Lake). We've also rented also rented dune buggies there. Lots of fun.

I have not been to (or even heard of) Bortell's Fisheries, but I think a road trip for some fried smelt might be in order. :)

Also, you may want to be more careful with the backgrounds on your selfies. You never know when some wisenheimer is going to crop your pic for their own amusement.

0f74fc40e5b690eb00e35577ff70dfb3.jpg




Case in point.... I posted this on Facebook with the caption "A few of my favorite things"... two of my friends sent me the pic with the last half of the second word cropped out.

dcac87f3382189ac1e4e3f0365e68037.jpg
 
Back
Top