That turned out alright...

Lama glama_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
1c3a4716594a8e313a9e8606c861bd01.jpg


Not the best quality bags in the World, but they look great and the price is right: Amazon.com

I used the Plot saddlebag mounts and blinker relocation kit: http://www.samurider.com/?p=13318

And the Plot pillion bars: http://www.samurider.com/?p=13296

In other news, the Arrow stainless steel header is a perfect fit for the Moriwaki slip-on. As if made for each other. Looks great, sounds great, not obnoxiously loud. Of course I took this one picture above and the battery died, I will post pictures as soon as the bike is home.
 
Looks great and how nice to have a blinker relocation set included. I have had to cobble together a bunch of parts to do the same job.
 
I like those bags. They look great.

We had a discussion a while back on relocating the lights like that. They do not meet DOT specs for spacing ,not unlike the Hepco Becker relocation.

Some of us feel/felt like they are just too close, causing possible confusion to cars behind us, expecially at night. That's why I never got the HB bags. Its hard to tell, but does the kit allow you to space them out to original distance?

Not preaching, just discussing. Cause I like your bags. They look very functional and easy to get into.
 
I like saddlebags, guess it reminds me of saddlebags for western live horses and a natural for an iron horse, I guess that is what I'm thinking. Do they make saddlebags that go over the back of the "saddle" seat and tie down while letting you clear the back signal lights? Thanks anyone...
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I like those bags. They look great.

We had a discussion a while back on relocating the lights like that. They do not meet DOT specs for spacing ,not unlike the Hepco Becker relocation.

Some of us feel/felt like they are just too close, causing possible confusion to cars behind us, expecially at night. That's why I never got the HB bags. Its hard to tell, but does the kit allow you to space them out to original distance?

Not preaching, just discussing. Cause I like your bags. They look very functional and easy to get into.
I suppose you could take the blinker relocation bracket to a machinist and have a wider one made. It is such a simple part, it wouldn't cost all that much to make. The blinkers don't look to be that close though. They are spaced plenty apart, will gladly take pictures of them with a ruler on top so you can get a sense of how far they sit.
 
I see quite a few sport bikes with the (weak) rear blinkers that are attached to the rear brake light. Part of the same assembly. Not saying it's the best for being noticed or anywhere near desirable, but they get away with it.

I bet there's very few, like a handful of cops in each state that are nerdy enough to know what the DOT regs are.
 
Thread starter
Ha, any cop that would have something to say about the blinkers being too close would probably pull me over first over the non-EPA exhaust =]
 
I rode behind a Police ST1300 earlier in the week that had brake and blinkers integrated in a single lighting unit. Is that the case in the US, or do they have a different arrangement?
 
Cormanus, the cops here do not usually pull people over for a DOT violation. Big rigs-different matter. I wasn't worried about it being "legal", I just would prefer not to confuse drivers behind me.

Our turn signal lights are the size they are due to DOT regs too, but I doubt anybody in the country has ever been cited for having the nice Japanese little ones.

Cormanus, I don't know the configuration of the Police ST in the US but I can look in my ST service manual and check. It has the police ST in it. But, the ST does have that big integrated lighting unit and I imagine it is the same as consumer bikes. I'll try to remember to lay a ruler on it tonight and see what the spacing of the blinkers is. You have me wondering now :)

Lama Glama's setup may be 'da bomb' as the youngsters say, but the HB setup is just too close for my liking.
 
Popgun, I'm assuming the police ST tail light's the same as the retail model.
 
This pic of my ST clearly shows how close the turn signal lights are. Is there a DOT standard someone can cite? Many sport bikes have a similar close arrangement as OEM.

2f942e7d03086afcb5283696960f502f.jpg
[/
 
I can tell you there is no standardization> the 3 bikes in my garage are all different

center to center

CB F 16" R 19"
ST F 31" R 10 1/2"
MPV F 20" R 13"
 
This is what I found. Maybe someone else can do better.

At or near the front—1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and headlamp is 4 inchesAt or near the rear—1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 4-inches, when a single stop and taillamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red.

Source: 49 CFR § 571.108 - Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

Which is 49 CFR 571.108 Is way down in the document past some semi-trailer diagrams.
 
Well all 3 of my bikes meet that criteria popgun. Interesting.
 
Interestingly, Arizona and a few of my contiguous states do not require any turn signals. Nevada requires turn signals on bikes manufactured after 1973. The lights should be as close to the same height as the front signals and as wide as possible. California requires turn signals.

We require a horn, headlight and tail light.
 
That CFR I referenced says for manufacturers, and I guess have to be met to sell by dealers. States do have different rules, as you know. I don't know what Virginia says, but I have seen Harleys with no signals and the rider just doing hand signals.
 
The best solution, IMHO, was some setbacks machined by a member here. They were beautiful and kept the lights in the same place, only farther back. Alas, he said he just could not reproduce them for less the $200 or so his cost, so he only made himself a set. Too bad for us :(

Pics are somewhere on the site. I wish I had a set.
 
I was pulled over in Jersey before because the policeman said I need a certain square inches of reflective material on the back of my helmet....who knew.
back then, I was one of first sport bikes around, so they seemed to pull us over more often just to check on us looking for something wrong, figured we were breaking the law, which we usually were.( speeding)
 
Back
Top