THAT didn't last long...

Olyrider_imp said:
I know it's the subject of hot debate, but good on you for getting the warranty! Mine have always paid off, and I didn't consider any of the bikes to be poorly-made.

As a retired F&I person at a Honda dealership, I can tell you the mark-up on a Honda bike warranty is 100%. The $770 quote was below the $900 that Honda "suggests" but $500 for four years is a really good deal. You can also buy the warranty online. Absolutely identical to what you bought. The dealership of record for the purchase of the bike doesn't have to be the same for warranty coverage. Some Honda dealers sell them online for very good prices. In fact, knowing their cost for the product, I was always surprised they even bothered.

I was paid about $6.00 to sell a contract so I never had reason to push them aggressively. I tried to be quite open about what I believed the pros and cons to be. Only twice, in three years, did a customer ask us to match the online pricing. We did...and would have for any customer that asked.

Also, you can buy an extended warranty up until the time your factory warranty expires. Same thing....online or through your dealer. Price should be the same.
Just put a deposit down on a '17. This is great information, Oly. Thanks.
 
Thread starter
suhawk305_imp said:
Nice! I told my wife I would like trade my 14 Standard for the 17 model, but "THAT (conversation) didn't last long..." :(
Nice play with the wording there:rofl: ...in my case she knew I had been having an issue with my '14. She also knows after 27 years that I don't make vehicle purchases lightly...the cars we've had have lasted 15 years on average, the bikes 10. I thought I would own the '14 for a decade plus...I hope the '17 lasts me till I I can't.
VLJ_imp said:
I also bought the four-year warranty, for $399.
Even better:exclamation: I like throwing the numbers out there so that it's not such a mystery. I had no idea the warranty pricing was negotiable. I have a feeling had I said "how about 400?" he might have said yes. But I'm happy with the purchase price, the unsold '17s will probably drop a bit more if they last beyond this summer, used ones of course will be there...but with the 0% financing for a year, it seemed like a good time to commit.
max_imp said:
Good to see pdedse, looks like the honda pulled hard on you, that's interesting especially after such a short period.
Guess it will be answered in good time but how did it feel to ride away again on the new machine?
any re-occurring thoughts?

congratulations; max
I live 3 hours from the dealership, so I drove "it" home mounted in the back of the pickup. Still don't have registration or plate for the bike, so I've ridden it 3 whole miles...around the block and up to 25mph she's a champ! :sleepy:

My main thought was simply "feels like I'm home".
 
With a three-hour ride from the dealership, I definitely would have ridden her home. My ride home was two hours, in the rain.

Yay!
 
pdedse_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
I kinda like that bike.

:P
I don't think any of us really know what your true opinions are of your new steed!
:biker::)
Houtman_imp said:
You had a good reason to sell your CB 1100 and even a better reason to buy one back !
I felt silly telling my wife...but she's a good sport. We're just finishing a kitchen remodel, so when I told her I was just doing a motorcycle "remodel"...well, that made sense to her!
LongRanger_imp said:
Terrific! Congratulations on your EX.

Now you can add an entry to the "What bike have you bought twice?" thread!
Heading over there soon.

Ok, a few more photos...
68ce492f35518d980bd9de334dedda58.jpg


Just like I remember the setup...only different guages, silver reservoirs, red tank...ok, mostly different, but familiar.

459966b064bc5c92cb30dca84753551d.jpg


Wish they could just do mph only, or kph only, for a cleaner look.
1323c69bafae131ae23a0e6702c83eec.jpg


Thar she blows! TPS and whatever else...you behave this time!!!
3f6a92da43d4679dd44a45628e04d068.jpg


I'm gonna rue the day I bought this bike when it comes time to cleaning these...
677817d83f8050d6a1bd53e905ed6dfb.jpg

But right now...SQUEEEEEEAAAAk?!?!?!? Not yet, but now I know.

4c27f38ff5083a6435ecf88de040fa2f.jpg


f9292e95ab3f912f34280a210fb5d30c.jpg


So this bike was priced at $9999. But they charged 600 for freight and set up, and weren't willing to come down. I asked about warranty...$770 for 4 years beyond year 1. I pulled out the letter I sent to Honda regarding my '14's idle issue, and he listened to my story. I said I did want the warranty this time, but that I would like a discount. He thought about it for a minute and offered the 4 additional year warranty at $500. That seemed reasonable to me. I've never purchased a warranty on anything in my life. I thought on the one hand, I've already had the idle issue problem,...the chance I would have something go wrong again is probably slim. But...I'm just not willing to chance it this time around.

One year 0 interest. That helps.

So there's the story. Except...it's plateless.

I went into DMV on Friday to get tags and do registration (dealer in WA couldn't do that as I'm an OR resident) but the DMV Queen behind the counter said that there were two dealer names on the Certificate of Orgin, but the back was signed only by one of them. I told her that it was the same dealership, just that they have two locations, therefore the two names. She wouldn't budge. Said I needed a letter from the dealership clarifying that. So now I have to wait till I get a letter and then I get to go through that again.

Little nuisance...but I'm happy...feels...right...
284f704988e934d33578160e7dab0228.jpg
Tuesday I had some time to spend while my dad was getting his kidney treatment, so I rode out to Simi Valley Honda (actually in Moorpark) next door to Simi Valley Harley-Davidson (same owner, Paul, where I bought my last Sportster).

They had a 2017 Deluxe. Price was $12,199. Out the door $13,443.

Think you got a good deal!
 
Beautiful bike pdedse. The '17s keep tempting me ...

VLJ_imp said:
I also bought the four-year warranty, for $399.
Bought my 2013 ABS in May of 2015 and added the 4 year warranty in May of 2016 while it was still under factory warranty. Good until May of 2020 and is transferable. Paid $380, which still gave the dealer a $50 profit. win-win
 
Thread starter
Good information to have regarding warranties, thanks for sharing the stories. Received letter from dealer thats supposed to clarify my title snafu with dmv, but cant make in till next week... naturally, OR weather is great this weekend, but no registration nor plates for the bike! Soon...
 
Thread starter
Finally, made it out for more than just a couple of miles. 40 this time...first, feels very nice to be back on a CB1100. Everything feels familiar as far as the ride goes...maybe the exhaust is a bit more...growly, but it's still pretty quiet.

The biggest thing for me was that on the hiway, it felt so solid...at 70-75, with a bit of headwind, bike was stable like I remembered from my '14.

Everytime I looked down at the tank, though, I felt a little weirded out staring at the Honday red that I've always complained about (never say never!), but it'll grow on me...right? Naturally, with the red, I don't feel like I'm going as fast as when I had the '14 standard...
:P

I definetly will miss the twisted throttle engine guards and hiway pegs I had on the '14...still kicking myself for not taking those off when I traded in the '14...but they wrote it down as having it on, so I left it.

So right now my '17 has the RLETs from the '14, and the bar risers and maybe license plate bracket will go on soon enough.

Noticed slight brake squeal that has been mentioned...will see if that stays around.

Good first ride! Columbia Gorge...
9c61484ef7d6e9c8f198edab7e70cdd4.jpg
 
I have Over stainless steel engine guards on all my bikes , from Mr. T
Put guards on as soon as you can and not after a fall or accident.
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
I have Over stainless steel engine guards on all my bikes , from Mr. T
Put guards on as soon as you can and not after a fall or accident.
I hear ya...coming sooner rather than later.
I like riding at night to see the instrument panel all lit up. Mind you, not the tree-lined country roads where the deer and the antelope roam, but the less travelled city roads. Marine drive along the Columbia River is nice this time of year because you don't get plastered by bugs because of the cool temperatures.

I was born in '63, so this seemed an appropriate time to pull over...

2d911b953ae26409420ed3886f7a5b60.jpg


Looks like I need to reset the clock after putting on a battery tender...
2c74238f36ad5b9568c12c3ed8aa5dd9.jpg

5d1cacc125d6f83668947a809c29e8a1.jpg

431eebedbfc63bd7552c943a3cbd1517.jpg

That little sailboat has been there several months now.

I went seatpad-less this evening, and I was reminded why I bought a couple of them, as it's a bit tight, but not as much as the Street Twin I tried out. Being 6'4" was great playing basketball back in the day, but now I'm a bit envious of the 5'10-6' frame with maybe a 30-31" inseam. Those dimensions would tuck one in nice and snug on this bike with no mods...as it is, I'll likely put on my sw motech bar risers and strap the pads on the bike. I dislike spending good money on after market seats, but the pads can look a bit unsightly.

Portland riders...we should plan an urban midnight ride a few times over the summer.
 
Beautiful night shots pdedse. Glad you are enjoying the 17. I'm a bit envious of 5'10-6' frame with a 30-31" inseam as well, but for different reasons.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Beautiful night shots pdedse. Glad you are enjoying the 17. I'm a bit envious of 5'10-6' frame with a 30-31" inseam as well, but for different reasons.
Thanks Ferret, very much enjoying the '17...it's quite strange doing a repeat on a bike...not at all unpleasant.

:banana: all sizes and shapes, right?

I forgot the short video...
7f1a3dba46215073bd1b87af82c73943.mp4
 
Lovely pics, pdedse. Glad you’re enjoying the new bike.
 
great pictures!! the new 2017s are really beautiful. personally i really like the details they've changed from the 2013/14 model years.. or at least from my 2013 model year. : )

have fun! i really love that drive as well along the gorge. i drove through there to walk the eagle creek trail to tunnel falls once when i was on a long road trip. one of the more memorable stops on a trip with many of them!
 
VLJ_imp said:
With a three-hour ride from the dealership, I definitely would have ridden her home. My ride home was two hours, in the rain.

Yay!
Total off-topic thread drift, but did you ever have the low idle / high idle issue?
 
Thread starter
junipash_imp said:
great pictures!! the new 2017s are really beautiful. personally i really like the details they've changed from the 2013/14 model years.. or at least from my 2013 model year. : )

have fun! i really love that drive as well along the gorge. i drove through there to walk the eagle creek trail to tunnel falls once when i was on a long road trip. one of the more memorable stops on a trip with many of them!
Yes, the Columbia Gorge is beautiful... a large blaze set off by fireworks last September torched a lot of the hiking trails on the Oregon side including those of Eagle Creek, so I'm hoping that they will re-open sometime this summer.

Check out the list of over 40 trails still closed:

https://gorgefriends.org/hike-the-gorge/trail-alerts.html

I live about 10 miles from the nearest of those trails and we had ash / soot cover the deck, driveway, cars...house smelled of smoke for days.
 
DaSwami_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
With a three-hour ride from the dealership, I definitely would have ridden her home. My ride home was two hours, in the rain.

Yay!
Total off-topic thread drift, but did you ever have the low idle / high idle issue?
Total off-topic thread drift, but did you ever have the low idle / high idle issue?
Nope. The idle has been perfect. The fueling has been perfect. The only issue I've had so far is my front brakes squeal when I come to a gradual stop. My local dealer applied grease to the back of the pads, and they filed the edges of the pads. This fixed the problem completely, but only for one day. By the end of the second day a hint of squealing had returned. It's not as noticeable as before. It only squeals every so often now, and the squeal is shorter and quieter.
 
Back
Top