THAT didn't last long...

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
A little over two months ago, I traded in my '14 standard...long standing idle issue that I didn't feel like being patient with in time and $$$, coupled with it in need of valve check, tires, oil-n-filter...coupled with great price on a new '17 Triumph Street Twin...4 years free interest, 2 year warranty...it seemed like a decent move at the time.

Took me about two weeks to realize that I didn't like the Twin like I did on the test ride. Maybe I was just excited about the idea of being idle hassle free. 700 miles later and what to do? Ride all summer on a bike I'm not that excited about? Or...go back to a bike I knew I liked?

Did you know previously used RLETs go on rather easy? with 1/2 drop olive oil and 14 seconds in microwave




I've never done a quick vehicle turn-around like that before in my life. But I'm at peace with the decision.
 
Sweet....looks like a Deluxe! Congrats...and welcome back.
 
Thread starter
2017...with 4 miles on, 3 of them I put on riding around the block. I live in Oregon, but went to Seattle to purchase this one. Where I bought my '14 they were out of '17 models. Another dealer about an hour from me in Hillsboro had one, but they were wanting about $1200 more, so I went north. Since OR has no sales tax, neither does WA for residents of OR. Arranged everything by phone, within an hour of arriving, bike was loaded on the pickup and ready to return home.

7bb5e26c910cf8cbb803e36f68f2ad2b.jpg


That RLET has now been on a '14 CB Standard, a Street Twin (I had issues letting go), and now on this beauty...
a74c87523d981c6b62c0d1a485d522e1.jpg


0aa4ae59851907858169f5e991cf4be2.jpg


I always liked the twisted 4-->1 look on the Standard, but I think this will grow on me:
6dfafbce9350928e0f18adbe5dcd8181.jpg


0a169136d3e22c235c793d5d2dcaee7b.jpg


The tank...to me there was nothing wrong asthetically with the seamed tank... more curvy now...differnt...I like them both ways.
6103a5e72db031159c653de983c788f6.jpg

The ferret_imp said:
Sweet....looks like a Deluxe! Congrats...and welcome back.
¡Muchas gracias!
 
Nice! I told my wife I would like trade my 14 Standard for the 17 model, but "THAT (conversation) didn't last long..." :(
 
Welcome back , beautiful bike and very fast RLETs install.
I boiled mine , stretched them over a magic marker and used water based personal lubricant on them to get them to go on. :thumbsup:
 
Welcome back, pdedse! Gorgeous bike! Now you've got that new motor smell in your garage again, and you can listen to the 'tinking' of that cooling motor.

I'm just so pleased with my '17! It's really nice when the bike ya dream about turns out to be all that and more once ya start riding it!

Don't forget to add your VIN to the registry.... I'm curious to see where yours falls in.

Lotsa miles and smiles! :beerchug:
 
Ahh the revealing... BEAUTIFUL!
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
I kinda like that bike.

:P
I don't think any of us really know what your true opinions are of your new steed!
:biker::)
Houtman_imp said:
You had a good reason to sell your CB 1100 and even a better reason to buy one back !
I felt silly telling my wife...but she's a good sport. We're just finishing a kitchen remodel, so when I told her I was just doing a motorcycle "remodel"...well, that made sense to her!
LongRanger_imp said:
Terrific! Congratulations on your EX.

Now you can add an entry to the "What bike have you bought twice?" thread!
Heading over there soon.

Ok, a few more photos...
68ce492f35518d980bd9de334dedda58.jpg


Just like I remember the setup...only different guages, silver reservoirs, red tank...ok, mostly different, but familiar.

459966b064bc5c92cb30dca84753551d.jpg


Wish they could just do mph only, or kph only, for a cleaner look.
1323c69bafae131ae23a0e6702c83eec.jpg


Thar she blows! TPS and whatever else...you behave this time!!!
3f6a92da43d4679dd44a45628e04d068.jpg


I'm gonna rue the day I bought this bike when it comes time to cleaning these...
677817d83f8050d6a1bd53e905ed6dfb.jpg

But right now...SQUEEEEEEAAAAk?!?!?!? Not yet, but now I know.

4c27f38ff5083a6435ecf88de040fa2f.jpg


f9292e95ab3f912f34280a210fb5d30c.jpg


So this bike was priced at $9999. But they charged 600 for freight and set up, and weren't willing to come down. I asked about warranty...$770 for 4 years beyond year 1. I pulled out the letter I sent to Honda regarding my '14's idle issue, and he listened to my story. I said I did want the warranty this time, but that I would like a discount. He thought about it for a minute and offered the 4 additional year warranty at $500. That seemed reasonable to me. I've never purchased a warranty on anything in my life. I thought on the one hand, I've already had the idle issue problem,...the chance I would have something go wrong again is probably slim. But...I'm just not willing to chance it this time around.

One year 0 interest. That helps.

So there's the story. Except...it's plateless.

I went into DMV on Friday to get tags and do registration (dealer in WA couldn't do that as I'm an OR resident) but the DMV Queen behind the counter said that there were two dealer names on the Certificate of Orgin, but the back was signed only by one of them. I told her that it was the same dealership, just that they have two locations, therefore the two names. She wouldn't budge. Said I needed a letter from the dealership clarifying that. So now I have to wait till I get a letter and then I get to go through that again.

Little nuisance...but I'm happy...feels...right...
284f704988e934d33578160e7dab0228.jpg
 
Good to see pdedse, looks like the honda pulled hard on you, that's interesting especially after such a short period.
Guess it will be answered in good time but how did it feel to ride away again on the new machine?
any re-occurring thoughts?

congratulations; max
 
pdedse_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
I kinda like that bike.

:P
I don't think any of us really know what your true opinions are of your new steed!
:biker::)
Houtman_imp said:
You had a good reason to sell your CB 1100 and even a better reason to buy one back !
I felt silly telling my wife...but she's a good sport. We're just finishing a kitchen remodel, so when I told her I was just doing a motorcycle "remodel"...well, that made sense to her!
LongRanger_imp said:
Terrific! Congratulations on your EX.

Now you can add an entry to the "What bike have you bought twice?" thread!
Heading over there soon.

Ok, a few more photos...
68ce492f35518d980bd9de334dedda58.jpg


Just like I remember the setup...only different guages, silver reservoirs, red tank...ok, mostly different, but familiar.

459966b064bc5c92cb30dca84753551d.jpg


Wish they could just do mph only, or kph only, for a cleaner look.
1323c69bafae131ae23a0e6702c83eec.jpg


Thar she blows! TPS and whatever else...you behave this time!!!
3f6a92da43d4679dd44a45628e04d068.jpg


I'm gonna rue the day I bought this bike when it comes time to cleaning these...
677817d83f8050d6a1bd53e905ed6dfb.jpg

But right now...SQUEEEEEEAAAAk?!?!?!? Not yet, but now I know.

4c27f38ff5083a6435ecf88de040fa2f.jpg


f9292e95ab3f912f34280a210fb5d30c.jpg


So this bike was priced at $9999. But they charged 600 for freight and set up, and weren't willing to come down. I asked about warranty...$770 for 4 years beyond year 1. I pulled out the letter I sent to Honda regarding my '14's idle issue, and he listened to my story. I said I did want the warranty this time, but that I would like a discount. He thought about it for a minute and offered the 4 additional year warranty at $500. That seemed reasonable to me. I've never purchased a warranty on anything in my life. I thought on the one hand, I've already had the idle issue problem,...the chance I would have something go wrong again is probably slim. But...I'm just not willing to chance it this time around.

One year 0 interest. That helps.

So there's the story. Except...it's plateless.

I went into DMV on Friday to get tags and do registration (dealer in WA couldn't do that as I'm an OR resident) but the DMV Queen behind the counter said that there were two dealer names on the Certificate of Orgin, but the back was signed only by one of them. I told her that it was the same dealership, just that they have two locations, therefore the two names. She wouldn't budge. Said I needed a letter from the dealership clarifying that. So now I have to wait till I get a letter and then I get to go through that again.

Little nuisance...but I'm happy...feels...right...
284f704988e934d33578160e7dab0228.jpg
Congratulations!

Laced/wire wheels are not that difficult to clean.

A soft wheel brush worked on both recent Yamahas, although I was not as prepared for a puncture as I am with tubeless tires.

I liked the Yamahas, but they lasted only about 6 weeks each (2400 miles for both),...so, don't feel alone regarding a short lived romance with the Triumph. What about it disappointed?
 
I know it's the subject of hot debate, but good on you for getting the warranty! Mine have always paid off, and I didn't consider any of the bikes to be poorly-made.

As a retired F&I person at a Honda dealership, I can tell you the mark-up on a Honda bike warranty is 100%. The $770 quote was below the $900 that Honda "suggests" but $500 for four years is a really good deal. You can also buy the warranty online. Absolutely identical to what you bought. The dealership of record for the purchase of the bike doesn't have to be the same for warranty coverage. Some Honda dealers sell them online for very good prices. In fact, knowing their cost for the product, I was always surprised they even bothered.

I was paid about $6.00 to sell a contract so I never had reason to push them aggressively. I tried to be quite open about what I believed the pros and cons to be. Only twice, in three years, did a customer ask us to match the online pricing. We did...and would have for any customer that asked.

Also, you can buy an extended warranty up until the time your factory warranty expires. Same thing....online or through your dealer. Price should be the same.
 
btw.
somehow i would like to know why honda paint " our " sidecovers/ enginehead in that alu grey, looks like the bare brushed upper triangle alucover are...and by other countrys like there are this shiny metal....
 
Congrats Pdedse! Its beautiful!!
 
Nice one indeed pdedse. Best wishes for very many very happy miles together.
 
Back
Top