Thread starter
Anyone have a simple but effective way of removing tar spots from wheels and mufflers and other bits of the bike?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I always use brake cleaner (free) on painted, chrome, mags and plastic automotive/bike surfaces.Cormanus_imp said:Anyone have a simple but effective way of removing tar spots from wheels and mufflers and other bits of the bike?
dittoLord Popgun_imp said:WD-40 is what I use.
I get it free from workCormanus_imp said:Thanks all.
peterbaron, what did you mean by 'free' brake cleaner?
Not brake fluid but brake cleaner, two different thingsGoldOxide_imp said:Okay, that is just weird funny.
Note: Brake fluid (even the free stuff) can damage surfaces. Recordsol/kerosene etc. can be more forgiving.

Sounds exactly right for those "bonded lumps of stain".The ferret_imp said:WD 40, single edge razor blade and 0000 steel wool

Acetone is good for removing nail polish.....GoldOxide_imp said:Looking back through the posts in this thread, one theme appears certain:
Avoid acetone-based products.
I don't see anybody referencing associated products. They will haze and/or peel finished surfaces, as well as melt plastics.