Tank stickers

_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Leave them or take them off? If they were faded and cracked it would add to the retro look.

Took mine off right away because once they get baked in, no way will they come off.
 
When they are new they come off pretty clean after heating them with a hair dryer. The remaining adhesive can be removed safely from the paint using a WD-40 soaked rag. WD-40 will not harm the paint in any way but it attacks and removes glue or adhesives. And yeah, once those stickers get baked on and hard it's almost impossible to get them off cleanly as that adhesive will eventually fuse into the paint.

Chip
 
I have keys to my other bikes on the same ring as my CB1100 and these other keys rest on the tank when I open the cap to fill up the CB1100 and the warning stickers are right where the keys meet the tank when the gas cap is open; I'm thinking that I should leave the ugly warning stickers because they might protect the tank from scratches? Alternatively just keep the CB1100 key separate and solo via some quick connector or similar.
 
They were gone soon as I got her home. They ruin that beautiful candy red paint. I did stick them onto the back page of the owner's manual though..Just for posterity..
 
wildezt_imp said:
Firstfour_imp said:
First mod. done today - tank stickers off!
Alright..!! :D bet you had a smile on your face as you stepped a few feet away to look at her right after that..:exclamation:
Alright..!! :D bet you had a smile on your face as you stepped a few feet away to look at her right after that..:exclamation:
Oh, yeah! Love looking at her. Those stickers were just blemishes on a raving beauty...
 
Mine came off as soon as it got home the first day! Then I put on the Honda Tank Protector Kit so my belt would not scratch that great red paint.
 
Reanimating an old thread: I changed my mind and removed my stickers. I noticed that the stickers were quite visible on some photos I took of the bike, and that tipped the decision. Hair dryer and WD-40 as Chip suggested, worked great.
 
And you can always buy new ones if you want them back.
 
My bike is 1 year old. I bought it second hand three months ago. It still has the Honda HISS sticker on the tank and I'd like to take it off. The black paint on the tank is immaculate, but I'm wondering how likely I am to be able to do it without leaving a mark. It has spent the odd day in the very hot sun since I've had it.

I don't really want to take it off and leave a mark.

Any views on my chances?
 
Most have used a hair drier with great success. Being in Phoenix I let it sit the Phoenix Summer Sun for a bit, grabbed an edge and slowly peeled them off eazy peazy. This method runs the risk of burning your finger tips. :P
 
Rboe_imp said:
Most have used a hair drier with great success. Being in Phoenix I let it sit the Phoenix Summer Sun for a bit, grabbed an edge and slowly peeled them off eazy peazy. This method runs the risk of burning your finger tips. :P
This one's spent a bit of time in the Queensland sun, which is pretty damned hot, so I'm a bit worried it's well cooked on. Still, I had some success yesterday with some stickers on the forks, so I'll give the hair drier routine a shot and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks.
Done. Great result.

Thanks everyone for the advice. That black tank looks much better.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Most have used a hair drier with great success. Being in Phoenix I let it sit the Phoenix Summer Sun for a bit, grabbed an edge and slowly peeled them off eazy peazy. This method runs the risk of burning your finger tips. :P
Ha! That's exactly what I did. I decided to remove the stickers back in August and didn't see the point in using a hairdryer. Just left the bike outside for a couple of hours and they peeled right off. I dipped a cloth in the gas tank and that removed the small bit of sticky residue.
 
Back
Top