tank protection

jtopiso_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hi:

I am considering putting somthinf to protect the tank from minor scratches from my "belly area".

I usually ride with leather jacket (leather covers the zipper, so there is no metal-to-tank contact), so, I am wondering:

-is it worth it?
-what is out there that doesn't look nasty on our CBs?
-has someone tried "helitape"? Does it work? does it last?


thanks!
 
I have a Mag-Knight magnetic tank pad on my CB and it stays in place.
I don't know anything about the product you mention.
This has been discussed before. Use the search feature to bring up those threads.
 
3m makes clear sheeting in rolls up to 48" wide in both sticky and static cling. If you have a local shop that makes street signs ( think stop signs or speed limit signs) they might have it. I got some of the static cling clear to protect areas of my tanks.

There is also a company in the U.S that sells the static cling in kits and one of the kits is a universal kit, but the name escapes me for now. Will try and think of it and post it.

Ok thought of it, the companys name is Tankslapper

Found their website. Looks like they have a kit for the Cb1100 dlx at least

Motorcycles - Honda - Page 1 - The Tankslapper
 
FYI:
I used a 3m clear vinyl to protect the hood and front fenders of my bmw back when I first bought it new.
5 yrs later, 3m turned milky, then to yellow, and 2 yrs after that, the film hardened like cement and cracked all over. Even w/ heat applied, I cannot peel it off to restore original paint.
 
jedd_imp said:
FYI:
I used a 3m clear vinyl to protect the hood and front fenders of my bmw back when I first bought it new.
5 yrs later, 3m turned milky, then to yellow, and 2 yrs after that, the film hardened like cement and cracked all over. Even w/ heat applied, I cannot peel it off to restore original paint.
For example bcos this i prefer enjoy the shining wonderful original lacquer until maybe i get realy scratchs and i want it sale just so i can still put any pads there
 
For the last 10 years I have used Sniders Paint Guard bought from Aerostich.
Easy to put on with just water and no problem removing them.
You get 3 sheets and cut the size you want , I just used it in the "belt " area on the tank .
 
I've had it on the tank of my ST1300 for 10 years now, and on the tank of my CB for 3.
 
If you do use the Sniders Paint Guard make certain that you do not cut sharp corners on the film.
Round the corners and it will stay on MUCH better as it will not lift so easily.
 
I have the Tankslappers on both my bikes with no problems. They are garage kept though and I cover them if parked in the sun for any length of time.
 
Thread starter
alprider_imp said:
jedd_imp said:
FYI:
I used a 3m clear vinyl to protect the hood and front fenders of my bmw back when I first bought it new.
5 yrs later, 3m turned milky, then to yellow, and 2 yrs after that, the film hardened like cement and cracked all over. Even w/ heat applied, I cannot peel it off to restore original paint.
For example bcos this i prefer enjoy the shining wonderful original lacquer until maybe i get realy scratchs and i want it sale just so i can still put any pads there
For example bcos this i prefer enjoy the shining wonderful original lacquer until maybe i get realy scratchs and i want it sale just so i can still put any pads there
Yes, this was my opinion until now, as I have got my first bike "from new".

Thank you all for your opinions!
 
Has a window tinter apply 3m clear vinyl to back and sides of tank. Protects the tank and can barely detect it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top