Tank Bag

GoldOxide_imp said:
I used to use tank bags regularly. Yes, you have to pay attention to the accumulated dust level on the tank and, if applicable, wipe off any fine metal bits that might have been attracted to the tank bag magnets.

Why I stopped using tank bags:

* Mounted GPS (later replaced by smartphone GPS) has replaced me looking at paper maps in plastic windows. For me, that era has passed.
* Had a bike that did not have a metallic tank. I also did not have the patience to strap the tank bag down. I was a bit of easy-on, easy-off tank bag user.
* Had a bike with upfront, accessible waterproof storage.
* I did not routinely pay attention to my metal fuel tanks and every once in awhile the tank bag scuffed the paint finish.
* I like the naked look of the fuel tank.
* It bugged me to remove a tank bag to fill traditional mounted fuel tank.
* Sometimes I pushed the loading limit of the tank bag which made it scary when leaning into corners.
* Untethered tank bags can be ripped off at stop lights. Though, it never happened to me.
* My tank bags required a rain barrier to stay dry. That was a drag for me - yet another piece of minutia to manage.
* For daily commutes, hard top box (and at times hard side bags) solved all my convenience-related pains, including using no backpack. I never looked back at tank bags.
I've never...and I mean never over 30 years... have been a fan of tank bags. And I agree with GO that the days of needing a plastic window for maps have passed us by. But my new BMW came with a tank bag. The ease with which you can snap the thing on and off really has sold me on the concept. I even like the leather bra that came with it. On my CB1100, the tourmaster soft bags look great and serve the purpose and negate the need for a tank bag for me. But when I don't want to ride with a full tail bag on the BMW, the tank bag has just enough storage to make it worthwhile.

576e664e12080e24db3fab3a0d936d2c.jpg


f6a29d4157d1848b14664038e350e37d.jpg
 
tommymck: That system looks appealing compared to the magnetic variations.

Of course, nice ride there. No issues with loose spokes or anything similar?
 
I have rarely taken a ride in the last 46 years without having a tank bag on my bike. Eclipse, Bagman, Tourmaster, Cortech, Nelson Rigg, Givi, strap on, magnetic, tankloc. I still have 4 of them of different sizes I use for different needs...and I still use the map cases on every out of state trip. (see bottom pic you can see written map in case)

Seneca Rocks, West Virginia
64de1752d12a4709b7411c06d62c73d1.jpg


Moscow Ohio power plant
da421f467d880e4cf5df772390fed6cd.jpg


The Pink Pig in Chilo Ohio
038bedfdc4ad479a04d2609f26cee725.jpg
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
tommymck: That system looks appealing compared to the magnetic variations.

Of course, nice ride there. No issues with loose spokes or anything similar?
Not yet. Only have 600 or so miles on it. I picked it up just 3 weeks ago.
 
I used to use tank bags and have several on the shelf, but now I avoid them. I just don't care for the way they look, and I can usually manage to find other places to store my stuff. They remind me of a tourist on holiday wearing a big, floppy fanny pack around his waist.
 
They do provide some instant conveniences while stopped at a light. You can grab something to chew on, take a bite out of that sub, sip a drink, change out gloves, glasses etc. But it turns out I seldom do that anymore without getting off the saddle.
 
I've used mine a lot. It's amazing how they don't seem in the way once you are in riding position.

My main complaint is honking the horn at full lock ;-)
 
Very very rarely do I ride without my tank bag. I hate having stuff in my pockets, don’t normally use a tail bag or saddle bags, and always have a plethora of stuff I need to take along. It’s a part of my CB, whether it (or anyone else) likes it or not lol.

(I normally take it off for pictures, cause, well, my bike is a bit vain)
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have rarely taken a ride in the last 46 years without having a tank bag on my bike. Eclipse, Bagman, Tourmaster, Cortech, Nelson Rigg, Givi, strap on, magnetic, tankloc. I still have 4 of them of different sizes I use for different needs...and I still use the map cases on every out of state trip. (see bottom pic you can see written map in case)

Seneca Rocks, West Virginia
64de1752d12a4709b7411c06d62c73d1.jpg


Moscow Ohio power plant
da421f467d880e4cf5df772390fed6cd.jpg


The Pink Pig in Chilo Ohio
038bedfdc4ad479a04d2609f26cee725.jpg
Interesting spectrum of backdrops. :)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I have rarely taken a ride in the last 46 years without having a tank bag on my bike. Eclipse, Bagman, Tourmaster, Cortech, Nelson Rigg, Givi, strap on, magnetic, tankloc. I still have 4 of them of different sizes I use for different needs...and I still use the map cases on every out of state trip. (see bottom pic you can see written map in case)

Seneca Rocks, West Virginia
64de1752d12a4709b7411c06d62c73d1.jpg


Moscow Ohio power plant
da421f467d880e4cf5df772390fed6cd.jpg


The Pink Pig in Chilo Ohio
038bedfdc4ad479a04d2609f26cee725.jpg
Interesting spectrum of backdrops. :)
And bikes. Ferret has good taste!
 
Thanks LR

More tank bag pics

FZ-1 Hawks Nest West Virginia

1489cf76c2ca338c16580ee796117fdb.jpg


this pic is 42 years ago lol Eclipse tank bag. 77 Kaw KZ 1000

2e909d3e131d3029e6c5e813dde6cd8e.jpg


Nighthawk 750 Natchez, Misissippi

389100ade6db0855ce3bad62fe75769a.jpg


This tank bag was called Eiffel tower 3 pieces zipped together. Man was it tall.

edfca40bedd374370819974a9f541578.jpg
 
It was a pretty nice bike, smooth, quiet, a little under powered, a little under braked. Bought it new in 03. Eventually sold it to my brother who rode it for a few years and sold it to my son's Father in Law, so it's still in the family lol. The 750 Nighthawk was also under powered and under braked but a great bike. Loved the FZ-1 (I had 2 an 01 and an 04) great bikes lots of power, great brakes, but kinda notchy transmissions 26,000 mile valve checks that never went out of spec. Made a great solo sport tourer. Precursor to the FJR for me I guess. Which is a giant FZ-1 with touring accouterments.
 
Needless to say, Ferret had too many bikes :P, and I wonder if you have a list of all of them..?
:)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Really awesome tank bag photos Ferret!!

Also, that '77 Kawi KZ1000 is almost as good. :)
The CB 1100 DLX reminds me so much of that bike.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Needless to say, Ferret had too many bikes :P, and I wonder if you have a list of all of them..?
:)
This is pretty close on street bikes. Didn't list the dirt bikes

HARLEYS: 65 M50, 59 XLCH, 49 56 & 57 Pans, 94 XLCH

HONDAS: 66 CB160, 67 CL77, 68 CB350, 67 CB450, 76 CB750, 85 VF1100, 00 CB750, 06 ST1300, 13 CB1100, 14 CB1100

SUZUKI: 75 GT750, 76 GT750, 81 GS850G, 83 GS1100E

KAWASAKI: 77 KZ1000

YAMAHA: 73 RD350, 73 TX650, 79 XS650, 81 XS650, 04 FZ1, 01 FZ1, 06 Majesty, 2018 FJR 1300

TRIUMPH 03 T100

BSA 69 750 Rocket 3
 
The ferret_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Really awesome tank bag photos Ferret!!

Also, that '77 Kawi KZ1000 is almost as good. :)
The CB 1100 DLX reminds me so much of that bike.
The CB 1100 DLX reminds me so much of that bike.
Yes, and a great capture of history. I see the original was done on the "smudge resistant" photo finishing prints.
 
Back
Top