Tank Bag

Short Timer_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Never had a tank bag before, always relied on just a tail bag and/or saddlebags. But I didn't really want saddle bag stays on the CB and the tail bag just wasn't always quite enough. Sooo, picked up my first tank bag, a Cortech Super 2.0 18L. Then did a nice long day ride.

I love it. It's very roomy - and even expandable. It's completely unobtrusive - never interfered with steering, my belly, or my arms. Although it comes with a nice system to secure it with straps and clips, I found the magnets to be all I needed. Even at sustained highway speeds of 80 plus mph, it never budged. At fuel stops I just pulled it off the tank and set it on the seat to access the filler cap. Easy peasy.

And if you stop somewhere and you're worried about security, just carry it along by the handle like a small pack.

Added bonus was the slick pouch inside that is made to carry an extra face shield.

It was pricey but it really seems like a quality product and one I'm happy to have.
 
My wife has the Cortech bag on her V-strom. Roomy, well made and priced right too. I've used tank bags for years and can't imagine being without one on most rides.
 
Almost always have A tank bag on my bike as well. Indispensable.
 
I have the Icon Urban tank bag... Converts into a backpack with a harness for your helmet. Works good. Not as roomy as some, but it's enough for me.
 
And because i am old-school and prefer the use of proper maps when touring, a tank bag is ideal to have the map and/or your road book in a the clear pouch on top. A quick stop at the side of the road, and you just glance down to get your bearings. I actually have also a simple magnetic map pouch I can put on the tank when I don't need to carry anything else with me.
 
I too have a Cortech magnetic tank bag and it's great :thumbsup:
But "just in case" I always use the tether strap.
With another make of magnetic tank bag I met an 18-wheeler on a two-lane road and the wind blast lifted it off the gas tank. It was all I could do to keep from losing it. From then on I used the tether strap.
Never had any problem with the Cortech, but..........
 
I have several magnetic tank bags and use them regularly. Added benefit is that they act as a wind block AND a belly pillow at speed! One thing to watch...in picked up a screw with one of the magnets and didn't realize it...put a scratch in the tank of my Bonnie. Always check the magnet pads before you reattach it to the tank.
 
Capo_imp said:
I have several magnetic tank bags and use them regularly. Added benefit is that they act as a wind block AND a belly pillow at speed! One thing to watch...in picked up a screw with one of the magnets and didn't realize it...put a scratch in the tank of my Bonnie. Always check the magnet pads before you reattach it to the tank.
Good advice :thumbsup:
It has never happened to me, but I always look because strange things can happen :D
 
I've been thinking about getting a tank bag. But was worried it would scuff the paint. Anyone ever have a problem with that? Or is the material good enough that it doesn't bother the paint?
 
I believe that some visible rub marks are inevitable if you use any tank bag long enough. That's been my experience on other bikes and I've kept the tank and bags super clean.
 
I was taken by this bag at our local Helmet Center:
PragmaticID: Destinasi Slot Gacor Terbaik untuk Para Penggemar Layanan Laundry Profesional Metallica Washington DC yang Ingin Meraih Jackpot Besar Setiap Hari

So far only 1-1/2 complaints. The zippers are not that great and lubing them seems to help. It's not water proof but comes with a cover for that purpose. My large Guzzi tank bag also uses this method and frankly it did not work well in the real world. My old Eclipse saddle bags also used covers; again - meh.

It has a pocket for a GPS (or phone) then holes and wire straps (Velcro) that lead back to the back of the bag so you can supply power. A very cool feature I have yet to take advantage of.
 
NHCB_imp said:
I've been thinking about getting a tank bag. But was worried it would scuff the paint. Anyone ever have a problem with that? Or is the material good enough that it doesn't bother the paint?
I haven't had any scuffing. I did set my bag down near a wrought-iron fence about a month after buying my CB1100 and the magnets picked up some metal flakes from the fence. I didn't wipe the magnets off before re-attaching the bag and I have a few scratches in the paint now. Not a huge deal, but a lesson learned. I wipe down all contact points before attaching the bag and I try not to set the bag down on the ground at all.
 
I try to get the magnets to attach to each other while off the bike. Keeps a lot of crap off of them. So far. But I'm really new to this magnetic attachement thing.
 
I used to use tank bags regularly. Yes, you have to pay attention to the accumulated dust level on the tank and, if applicable, wipe off any fine metal bits that might have been attracted to the tank bag magnets.

Why I stopped using tank bags:

* Mounted GPS (later replaced by smartphone GPS) has replaced me looking at paper maps in plastic windows. For me, that era has passed.
* Had a bike that did not have a metallic tank. I also did not have the patience to strap the tank bag down. I was a bit of easy-on, easy-off tank bag user.
* Had a bike with upfront, accessible waterproof storage.
* I did not routinely pay attention to my metal fuel tanks and every once in awhile the tank bag scuffed the paint finish.
* I like the naked look of the fuel tank.
* It bugged me to remove a tank bag to fill traditional mounted fuel tank.
* Sometimes I pushed the loading limit of the tank bag which made it scary when leaning into corners.
* Untethered tank bags can be ripped off at stop lights. Though, it never happened to me.
* My tank bags required a rain barrier to stay dry. That was a drag for me - yet another piece of minutia to manage.
* For daily commutes, hard top box (and at times hard side bags) solved all my convenience-related pains, including using no backpack. I never looked back at tank bags.
 
I use a Baglux Bagster tank cover ( in the same colour and design as the tank of my 2013 cast wheeler ) with a Bagster tank bag when I need it. This is an excellent system. The tank bag is completely secure, easily removeable or rotated forward to access the tank filler and does not cause any paint damage - indeed it protects the tank paintwork. I don't like magnetic attachments as I think they will eventually damage your paint however careful you are.

Cheers
 
the lodger_imp said:
I use a Baglux Bagster tank cover ( in the same colour and design as the tank of my 2013 cast wheeler ) with a Bagster tank bag when I need it. This is an excellent system. The tank bag is completely secure, easily removeable or rotated forward to access the tank filler and does not cause any paint damage - indeed it protects the tank paintwork. I don't like magnetic attachments as I think they will eventually damage your paint however careful you are.

Cheers
Nice custom fit tank covers.
 
Back
Top