Tall seat for 2017+ CB1100

Run Away_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey all,

I've got an '18 CB1100RS. I'm 6'2" with a 33 inseam and I'd like to unfold my legs a bit. I'm coming up empty so far finding a solution I like.
Here's my stock seat:
3f485ea708768ed971eee7939dac1dce.jpg



What I really want is a K&H high seat, but they only make those for the 14L and 17L tanks with seams. For the seamless tanks, they only offer a MID seat.
I've emailed K&H directly, but they have declined to make a custom order.

I've emailed Mr Takashi at Samurider, and he says I could get the Ohkawa Works seat custom made 1" taller. This option is fairly expensive and would take over 2 months to get here. Cost is about $1000 CAD.


I've found Luimoto here in Canada that [url=https://www.luimoto.com/?c=1&my=637&p=1208]make a nice looking cover for the 17+ seats. I was thinking possibly they could make a custom cover with extra length on the sides, and I could add foam myself, or have a local upholster do the job? Rough estimate of $500 CAD for the whole job, plus I sacrifice my stock seat.

I could have a local shop modify my stock seat. Unknown cost and time frame, also the potential to not be done as nice. Again, this becomes my only seat.

I could have Sargent Cycle custom make a seat. Unknown cost, likely a longer time frame due to shipping. I sacrifice my stock seat, but the end result is probably pretty nice.

Finally, I've been poking around Yahoo Japan auctions and found a bunch of second hand K&H seats, as well as Daytona, and OEM Honda seats.
I could buy a backup 17+ seat and use it as my base for a custom seat, which means no downtime. Cost for a RS seat is about $450 CAD shipped, which is about $100 cheaper than new at the dealer.

Or I could buy a used K&H high seat for the '13-'16 bikes and have it modified slightly to fit my bike. Cost for these seats is around $600 CAD shipped.

My question is, does anyone know where the seats differ?
If the older seats are longer in front, I can peel back the cover, trim them down as needed and fold the excess back under and secure it. If they're not, it's not such an easy task to add material.
Anyone know?

I've seen a few threads relating to swapping the newer tank onto the older bikes, but not many people mention what happens to the seat fitment during this project.


Some threads I've looked into with some info I've found useful
[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj4-fWag83vAhVWGs0KHW1dBsAQFjAAegQIBhAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcb1100forum.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ftid%3D12152&usg=AOvVaw021ixtULMoMXh1q0xEh7Cc] K&H High Seat for 2017 EX
[URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/70365/]Deluxe seat on a Standard
[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15242]Tank interchange
[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10544]2017 Gas Tank on a 2013?

An interesting side view of the 3 different tanks offered. Pictures from the K&H website.

Top left is the 14L tank, middle right is the 17L, and bottom left is the 17+ seamless tank.
 
Spending $500-$1000 dollars for an off-the-shelf "custom" seat sounds like a lot, especially since there is no way of knowing if it will suit you.

I have the same complaint, and remedied it on my 2013, 2014, and 2017 models in the same way, by having an inch of foam added under the stock cover. My local upholsterer was able to sew an additional strip along the bottom of each side so there is material to staple into the base. I've had 3 CB1100 seats done, and all were done within a week, and under $100.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Spending $500-$1000 dollars for an off-the-shelf "custom" seat sounds like a lot, especially since there is no way of knowing if it will suit you.

I have the same complaint, and remedied it on my 2013, 2014, and 2017 models in the same way, by having an inch of foam added under the stock cover. My local upholsterer was able to sew an additional strip along the bottom of each side so there is material to staple into the base. I've had 3 CB1100 seats done, and all were done within a week, and under $100.
Good share pekingduck. Pretty concise. Pretty red CB1100.
 
Tev62, there are adjustable pegs out there, someone may chime in with a brand but the search function may help.
I got some Knight Design aluminum ones a few years ago that I like. They had too much "tread" for me so I stuck em in a vise and belt sanded them down a bit and smoothed the edges with a file, which also gave me an extra 1/4 inch or so but still good traction.
Either option eliminates the peg feelers. Good luck.

Ben
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Spending $500-$1000 dollars for an off-the-shelf "custom" seat sounds like a lot, especially since there is no way of knowing if it will suit you.

I have the same complaint, and remedied it on my 2013, 2014, and 2017 models in the same way, by having an inch of foam added under the stock cover. My local upholsterer was able to sew an additional strip along the bottom of each side so there is material to staple into the base. I've had 3 CB1100 seats done, and all were done within a week, and under $100.
pkduck, that looks like a nicely done job, and $100 sounds a lot more reasonable.

Run Away, I've got the same issue at 6'3" and 34 inseam and feel cramped on my '17ex. As mentioned in your other thread, I "remedied" that by adding first one, 1" bleacher pad, and then another. I just strap them on the seat. I started with that because I was thinking about shelling out $$$ for a new seat or having foam added
--and I wanted to get an idea of how high I needed--but I liked the "cost" of the pads (about 6$ each), so I just left them on.

Likely not what you want, but you might experiement with pads to get an idea of how much taller you would like to sit in the saddle, and then if you get a seat upholstered, you would know how much foam to put in there.

I looked at peg lowering kits, but didn't find a lot out there, they seemed pricey, needed adjustments...and the foam pads worked for me. You could start with the pegs, maybe you'll gain an inch, and then another inch of foam would give you two. I mention this because a seat might look a bit "bloated" if 2" or more is added.

Have you looked into the Airhawks seat cushions? People who have them say it raises the seat about an inch.

Good luck with the adjustments!
 
Houtman_imp said:
Some of us are getting old enough to use depends for extra padding on our bikes !
Cool beans! Using those would take away the unsightliness of the bleacher pads! Do I wear them under or over my mc pants?
 
I have a few AirHawks and if you inflate it according to instructions it’s nowhere near an inch. Blow it up all the way and yeah, easy inch.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Some of us are getting old enough to use depends for extra padding on our bikes !
Cool beans! Using those would take away the unsightliness of the bleacher pads! Do I wear them under or over my mc pants?
Cool beans! Using those would take away the unsightliness of the bleacher pads! Do I wear them under or over my mc pants?
If you need them just for bladder control wear them inside you mc pants , if for a more custom look wear them outside your mc pants.
After my prostate removal I had to wear depends for about 10 days , when I bought a pack of them in Walmart the young girl in the checkout looked kind of funny at me .
I told her "these are for my grand father " I thought she somehow did not believe me...
 
Houtman_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Some of us are getting old enough to use depends for extra padding on our bikes !
Cool beans! Using those would take away the unsightliness of the bleacher pads! Do I wear them under or over my mc pants?
Cool beans! Using those would take away the unsightliness of the bleacher pads! Do I wear them under or over my mc pants?
If you need them just for bladder control wear them inside you mc pants , if for a more custom look wear them outside your mc pants.
After my prostate removal I had to wear depends for about 10 days , when I bought a pack of them in Walmart the young girl in the checkout looked kind of funny at me .
I told her "these are for my grand father " I thought she somehow did not believe me...
Cool beans! Using those would take away the unsightliness of the bleacher pads! Do I wear them under or over my mc pants?
......................
.............. , if for a more custom look wear them outside your mc pants.
........ , when I bought a pack of them in Walmart the young girl in the checkout looked kind of funny at me .
I told her "these are for my grand father " I thought she somehow did not believe me...
......
481ef26aa29cc908961e761038c1b8e4.gif


P.S....smart statements
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Spending $500-$1000 dollars for an off-the-shelf "custom" seat sounds like a lot, especially since there is no way of knowing if it will suit you.

I have the same complaint, and remedied it on my 2013, 2014, and 2017 models in the same way, by having an inch of foam added under the stock cover. My local upholsterer was able to sew an additional strip along the bottom of each side so there is material to staple into the base. I've had 3 CB1100 seats done, and all were done within a week, and under $100.
Thanks for the pictures, I was imagining a visible strip of material along the bottom but that seems like a darn good option for me.

Regarding pegs, I do have a set of cheap lower pegs on the way. Just cheap eBay ones so I can see if I'm okay with the reduced ground clearance, and play with putting them straight down, or down and back.

I'll probably cut up some foam kneeling pads I have left over from home renos and give those a try....once it warms up. It freaking snowed last night! :@

Also came across another interesting tidbit on the Daytona website regarding the seat differences
DAYTONACOZYシート(COMP) CB1100/typeⅠ/typeⅡ('10~'17)等|株式会社デイトナ
"Since the tank shape of the CB1100EX / RS model is different, there will be some wrinkles on the skin at the tip of the seat (the part that comes into contact with the tank) when it is installed."

To me that implies that the seats can be swapped between models, and that the RS/EX tank might be longer than the older models?
 
Ben70_imp said:
Tev62, there are adjustable pegs out there, someone may chime in with a brand but the search function may help.
I got some Knight Design aluminum ones a few years ago that I like. They had too much "tread" for me so I stuck em in a vise and belt sanded them down a bit and smoothed the edges with a file, which also gave me an extra 1/4 inch or so but still good traction.
Either option eliminates the peg feelers. Good luck.

Ben
Cheers for that Ben, I have a shorter leg so an OK, I was just wondering if that was an option for thre OP. :thumbsup:
 
Run Away_imp said:
Hey all,

I've got an '18 CB1100RS. I'm 6'2" with a 33 inseam and I'd like to unfold my legs a bit. I'm coming up empty so far finding a solution I like.
Here's my stock seat:
3f485ea708768ed971eee7939dac1dce.jpg



What I really want is a K&H high seat, but they only make those for the 14L and 17L tanks with seams. For the seamless tanks, they only offer a MID seat.
I've emailed K&H directly, but they have declined to make a custom order.

I've emailed Mr Takashi at Samurider, and he says I could get the Ohkawa Works seat custom made 1" taller. This option is fairly expensive and would take over 2 months to get here. Cost is about $1000 CAD.


I've found Luimoto here in Canada that [url=https://www.luimoto.com/?c=1&my=637&p=1208]make a nice looking cover for the 17+ seats. I was thinking possibly they could make a custom cover with extra length on the sides, and I could add foam myself, or have a local upholster do the job? Rough estimate of $500 CAD for the whole job, plus I sacrifice my stock seat.

I could have a local shop modify my stock seat. Unknown cost and time frame, also the potential to not be done as nice. Again, this becomes my only seat.

I could have Sargent Cycle custom make a seat. Unknown cost, likely a longer time frame due to shipping. I sacrifice my stock seat, but the end result is probably pretty nice.

Finally, I've been poking around Yahoo Japan auctions and found a bunch of second hand K&H seats, as well as Daytona, and OEM Honda seats.
I could buy a backup 17+ seat and use it as my base for a custom seat, which means no downtime. Cost for a RS seat is about $450 CAD shipped, which is about $100 cheaper than new at the dealer.

Or I could buy a used K&H high seat for the '13-'16 bikes and have it modified slightly to fit my bike. Cost for these seats is around $600 CAD shipped.

My question is, does anyone know where the seats differ?
If the older seats are longer in front, I can peel back the cover, trim them down as needed and fold the excess back under and secure it. If they're not, it's not such an easy task to add material.
Anyone know?

I've seen a few threads relating to swapping the newer tank onto the older bikes, but not many people mention what happens to the seat fitment during this project.


Some threads I've looked into with some info I've found useful
[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj4-fWag83vAhVWGs0KHW1dBsAQFjAAegQIBhAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcb1100forum.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ftid%3D12152&usg=AOvVaw021ixtULMoMXh1q0xEh7Cc] K&H High Seat for 2017 EX
[URL=https://cb1100forum.net/threads/70365/]Deluxe seat on a Standard
[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15242]Tank interchange
[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10544]2017 Gas Tank on a 2013?

An interesting side view of the 3 different tanks offered. Pictures from the K&H website.

Top left is the 14L tank, middle right is the 17L, and bottom left is the 17+ seamless tank.

I did have Sargent build a taller seat, basically a flat seat. I think it turned out quite well. I also installed a set of lowering foot pegs. That combo transformed my riding experience. An hour long ride that was literally a pain in the knees, is now pain free.

YMMV, but I found the work Sargent did to be quite good and affordable.
HTH, Don
 
[/QUOTE]

I did have Sargent build a taller seat, basically a flat seat. I think it turned out quite well. I also installed a set of lowering foot pegs. That combo transformed my riding experience. An hour long ride that was literally a pain in the knees, is now pain free.

YMMV, but I found the work Sargent did to be quite good and affordable.
HTH, Don
[/QUOTE]

Very nice. Could you post pics of the seat and pegs (and cost)?
 
Apologies for the significant delay... Sargent charged me about $250 USD.

The seat Sargent built:
The adjustable footpegs pictured are made by LSL. I have an extra pair of lowering footpegs made by Knight Design:

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Products/Motorcycle/Honda/CB1100/Honda-CB1100-1-Front-Foot-Pegs.html
The pair I have are Silver Anodized with Sidetrax tread and I'd happily sell them at a nice discount to someone on the forum. They fit well on my '13 and they gave considerable knee relief.
 
Back
Top