Tall riders, exhaust etc. questions (looking for my 2nd bike)

justinlself_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I come from 2 and a half years on a KLR. The high seat height and 90 degree knee bend from seat to pegs proved comfortable enough for an 11,000 mile trip to Alaska and back to Wisconsin this year. It was this trip I learned I really didn't have the patience for most off-road, so I'm looking at getting something different. My top three choices at the moment are in tune with the scrambler/classic standard style:

- Triumph Scrambler/Street Scrambler
- Ducati Scrambler/Desert Sled
- CB1100

I generally want an 80/20 on/off-road bike. I know the CB is nowhere "meant" to be offroad, but just something that'll do gravel and some very light trails if NEEDED. Here are my concerns/questions in order of priority:

1. For tall riders (6' 2" or so), how are you finding knee and leg comfort after hours in the saddle? My longest days on the KLR were 500 miles, but generally 10 maybe 12 hours with breaks along the way. I see Samurider has some excellent taller seat options, but I just don't know if that option is "enough" without being able to try it. What are the recommended footpegs that could be more forward an inch or two without compromising shift/brake lever feel (or is there a way to extend either of those?)

2. Best sounding exhaust options that won't break the bank? After my test ride of the CB, I seriously felt like I was on an electric bike it was too quiet.

3. Is there a compatible skidplate option or would that have to be a one-off fabrication?

4. On my KLR I had soft luggage that held a whopping 120 liters of storage. I don't expect that on the CB, but I don't want purse-size luggage on each side, either. What are some good options for a weekend trip that really fit the look too?

5. If you've ridden the Triumph Bonnevilles, scramblers or even the Ducati Scrambler, how would you compare the CB?

Thank you in advance! :beerchug:
 
G'day Justinlself, and welcome to the forum. Plenty of tall riders find the CB1100 comfortable enough for long days in the saddle. I'm height challenged, so it isn't a issue, but I do find the stock seat uncomfortable after a bit and use an AirHawk cushion for long days and trips.

The CB1100 can handle gravel just fine; a light trail maybe. Anything too challenging and it's limitation, at least so far as I'm concerned, is its weight.

Never head of a skid-plate option. In the absence of any other answers, try Samurider.

Try searching luggage options; there's been plenty of discussion in the past. What system did you have on the KLR? Could it be replicated on the CB1100
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
G'day Justinlself, and welcome to the forum. Plenty of tall riders find the CB1100 comfortable enough for long days in the saddle. I'm height challenged, so it isn't a issue, but I do find the stock seat uncomfortable after a bit and use an AirHawk cushion for long days and trips.

The CB1100 can handle gravel just fine; a light trail maybe. Anything too challenging and it's limitation, at least so far as I'm concerned, is its weight.

Never head of a skid-plate option. In the absence of any other answers, try Samurider.

Try searching luggage options; there's been plenty of discussion in the past. What system did you have on the KLR? Could it be replicated on the CB1100
It was a like a horse saddle luggage with two ballistic fabric pannier bags on the sides and a detachable one on the rear/top. I didn't like it because packing was kind of a pain even with removable liner bags, and the corner seams eventually ripped from tension or weight or packing. Altrider Hemisphere luggage. So, I don't want to replicate that. I think something along these lines might fit well.

- http://www.britishracer.com/images/A9528028 -----.jpg
- http://www.triumphrat.net/attachmen...mageuploadedbymotorcycle1351277369.632306.jpg
 
Check out these two threads on Japanese hard panniers from Samurider. They look pretty solid to me.

Samurider Paniers-review + pictures
ASAHI: Pannier Cases

I have a 35 litre top box and I use a 60 litre SW-Motech dry bag which I strap across the seat behind me. On a recent long trip requiring camping gear I took the top box, the dry bag and another 30 litre SW-Motech bag. I suspect with a bit more thought and practice, I will get that down to the top-box and the 60L bag. The CB handles the load effortlessly.
 
I'm 6'6", 36" inseam, and find my DLX to be perfectly comfortable for ~300 mile days. More than that and the seat begins to let me down. The bike is stock. I have no need or desire to modify it.

I eagerly demo'd a Triumph Street Twin this summer. It rode like a HD Sportster -- torquey, great exhaust note, low redline, easy, neutral steering, lots of fun for urban riding, but not as polished or refined as the CB1100 (which admittedly has a very high bar) and probably nothing I'd be able to ride for long distances. YMMV. I came away unable to consider the two bikes as peers, although I know others do.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm 6'6", 36" inseam, and find my DLX to be perfectly comfortable for ~300 mile days. More than that and the seat begins to let me down. The bike is stock. I have no need or desire to modify it.

I eagerly demo'd a Triumph Street Twin this summer. It rode like a HD Sportster -- torquey, great exhaust note, low redline, easy, neutral steering, lots of fun for urban riding, but not as polished or refined as the CB1100 (which admittedly has a very high bar) and probably nothing I'd be able to ride for long distances. YMMV. I came away unable to consider the two bikes as peers, although I know others do.
I had a 2000 Bonneville. I realize much has changed but in my mind I cannot see any comparison. CB1100 is very well-engineered and well-built motorcycle that works in the real world and as a fantasy bike.
 
Welcome. Can't be of much help to you (taller seat would probably be your best bet and I like the way my Yoshimua exhaust sounds), but I just wanted to toss in that my son goes to Scholl in Appleton. And his name is Justin.

Cormanus is pretty good at digging up relevant threads. Good luck in your search.
 
5-11, 36" inseam (used to be 6-2...). Had to lower the pegs and raise the seat a bit to dial it in.

I've taken it on dirt roads, does pretty good if you slow down. Not much time on gravel, I suspect it will do well or poorly depending upon how packed it is. I don't know how old you are but back in the day before adventure bikes we'd ride whatever we had down any road to get where we wanted to go and didn't really think twice about it. Sure the different surfaces presented different challenges - just like in a car when you encounter snow/ice/rain etc. You adjust and keep on moving.

If you KNOW your ride will be mostly dirt I would advise buying tires with that focus though.

I'm not aware of skid plates for her, I think that would be a one off item.

Check out the Great Basin from Giant Loop (Great Basin Saddlebag Motorcycle Luggage). Won't fit the look but it does not need any extra hardware. That said, I have not used mine on the CB; but for a weekend trip to Death Valley I used a medium sized dry duffle from Wolfman. I have the factory luggage rack and the dry back fit over it and the back part of the seat just fine. So well that I have not felt the need to add saddle bags (I tend to travel longer trips on my Moto Guzzi Griso or put the CB in the back of the pickup so that affects my choices too).

Stock header system has a cat built in that tends to attenuate the exhaust a LOT by its' self so even after market units are not that loud. I'll recommend spending the serious bucks on something else that has a better return.

I have not ridden the other bikes. The Ducati Scrambler seems a tad too small for me. The Triumph seems like a good bike and the over all quality seems to have improved. Neither bike would come close to replacing the CB for me.
 
I had both a 2012 Bonnie and the CB100 at the same time. I loved the Bonnie for what it was, but there's just no comparison to the CB's quality, finish, ride, and solid feeling, let alone the power difference.
Probably more because of age than anything else, at 6' with a 34" inseam, I needed a little more legroom. A taller seat (both Tiro and K&H - available from Samurider - work beautifully, and are much more comfortable than the stock seat as well) did the trick perfectly.
There are quite a few aftermarket mufflers for the bike. A lot depends on the look you want - there are lots of sportbike-style cannisters that work, but I like the Staintune the best. It looks a lot like the stock piece, so you keep the classic look, but it's got a great, low, mellow tone that lets you know you're on an inline 4 without being obnoxious.
Bottom line is you really can't beat these bikes. They're great looking, and the quality is fantastic, and there's a pretty decent aftermarket support for them, too.
 
I've had no problem with gravel roads. I think the PR3 tires help though.

f283af116053793cb79aa14ee0218614.jpg


1c7c0d3504b705afdce47100cd5d97c4.jpg


I am also 6 foot tall with a 36" inseam. I went with a Corbin seat that moves me back. That was all I needed to be comfortable. I later added bar backs to sit a little more upright though.
 
Hi Justilself, I also have a KLR650, I did the Great Divide 2 years ago (from Canada to Mexico over the rocky mountains), extremely confortable bike, I have been riding the KLR for many years.
Last week I went to pick up my CB1100A in Kansas City, MO and came all the way to Miami, FL.
I did 1680 miles in 2 1/2 days. One day I did 720 miles from West planes, MO to Tallahassee, FL.
I did the trip without windshield, I found that over 65-70 miles speed it is not confortable. I decided to install after reading many post here the Puig windshield, it is not too tall but is good enough.
I got the bike with a few extras, Staintune exhaust (Made in Australia) I really love the sound, it is perfect but after a few hours riding its also not confortable, you better use ear plugs, I did just last day and was a huge diferent. I am agree with you, I didn't like the sound of the original exhaust, its like a VW Jetta!
The bike also have the cargo rack and the engine guards.
I can tell you that the CB1100 is one of the must amazing bike that I ever ride, I just love it!
It is pretty, powerful and funny. I still love to ride my 1978 CB750 Four but this one is in another level.
If you like the CB you will be a fan forever!
Hope it help you on your decision.

 
Thread starter
Sorry I haven't replied, been lurking while doing life etc!

I do appreciate all the insight. I just recently test rode a Ducati Scrambler, but didn't come back with a grin like the CB1100 gave me. It's staying on my list of consideration ;) I think my biggest concern with the CB is the ground clearance from the pipes! I wouldn't mind fabbing up a skid plate (again, this isn't meant to go entirely offroad, but why not add another protection measure?).

I'd also like to rid the chrome handlebars and go with a flat black, maybe. Lower rise/rake (one of the two I can't remember) but possibly with bar risers. I like the lower bar look, but not cafe so much.

BTW, I have been messing around in Photoshop, here is a preliminary. I need side shots of bar-end mirrors and windscreens to add though. If anyone would like to help me out there, I'll end up providing a PSD template for all.
 
Well that's a crazy enough paint job lol
 
34" inseam here. I have the Corbin seat with an extra 1" of foam. Legs bend more than a KLR or a BMW GS, but I've never experienced leg cramps. Stops for fuel seem to be at just the right intervals for stretches. I originally had risers which brought the bars up and back. I went back to stock because I like the position better.

As far as luggage: If you like the adventure look, and don't mind a more "permanent" solution, you can attach any aluminum top box to the standard OEM rear rack with bolts/nuts/silicone. You can do the same with panniers and the right mounts. If you like that look, check out happy-trail.com. They're based in my former hometown of Boise, ID, and they have the best service I've experienced in motorcycle stuff.

If you ride over 50mph, you'll probably want to add a windshield or small fairing to take at least some of the wind blast off your chest. Over an hour at 75mph can be a beating.

Planning a long riding/camping trip to Big Bend this spring. Can't think of a bike I'd rather do that trip on.
 
Thread starter
Roper_imp said:
34" inseam here. I have the Corbin seat with an extra 1" of foam. Legs bend more than a KLR or a BMW GS, but I've never experienced leg cramps. Stops for fuel seem to be at just the right intervals for stretches. I originally had risers which brought the bars up and back. I went back to stock because I like the position better.

As far as luggage: If you like the adventure look, and don't mind a more "permanent" solution, you can attach any aluminum top box to the standard OEM rear rack with bolts/nuts/silicone. You can do the same with panniers and the right mounts. If you like that look, check out happy-trail.com. They're based in my former hometown of Boise, ID, and they have the best service I've experienced in motorcycle stuff.

If you ride over 50mph, you'll probably want to add a windshield or small fairing to take at least some of the wind blast off your chest. Over an hour at 75mph can be a beating.

Planning a long riding/camping trip to Big Bend this spring. Can't think of a bike I'd rather do that trip on.
I had waited and waited for happy trails to ship something out couple years ago and gave up. Are they notoriously slow or back ordering?

Sent from my Z963U using Tapatalk
 
I'm 6'3" with 34" inseam, 53 years of age, 180 lbs and in good shape. I've had a KLR for about 8 years, ridden it long distances to Central America and back to Oregon, to Mexico a couple of times, so I know what you mean when you talk about how easy the KLR can be on one's knees and hips. I had that concern for the CB1100...and I was right to have it.

After an hour or two, I feel a little stiff in the right hip, the need to extend the knees and shake 'em a bit. I don't feel that hip tightness at all on the KLR...but it's there on the CB. Still, I like the bike (I'm beginning to "appreciate" its quiet nature).

So for a recent 5500 mile trip from OR to Illinois, I put on SW Motech engine guards, and then a $20 pair of forward pegs on the guards. I only used the pegs maybe 3% of the trip, but it was nice to have that other position when my knees would get tired. I left the seat stock, but I put on two 1" seat pads, and then another one half way through the trip. That really helped, leading me to think I should spring for a taller seat, lower pegs...but I'm a cheap KLR owner and the pads cost $20 for all three.

The saddle bags are a $70 pair and I have an old HD leather bag that rests on the passenger seat and doubles as a back rest. Simple tie-downs to secure everything, it worked fine.

71ea04bb601d241c2cfdd948478065c6.jpg


If you want to look at the road report go here, p2:
http://m.cb1100forum.com/forum/showthrea...376&page=2

I've test ridden the Ducatti Srambler and the Street Twin. I could have bought either bike and I think I would have liked both just fine, and I would have had similar ergo issues. Maybe in time I splurge for a seat and lower the pegs, but riding around town I don't have any issues.

Good luck!
 
To Justinlself: They're a small company. I know they were doing all of their production locally. They got some good reviews on ADVrider and were suddenly flooded with orders. It took them a while to increase production capacity. I think their biggest challenge was finding welders who could meet their quality requirements. I haven't waited for more than two weeks. I don't mind waiting or paying a bit more. They contribute a lot to the local economy.
 
I routinely ride gravel with my CB and it handles it fine as long as you don't get stupid. We used to have a forum member in Alaska who outfitted his bike as a "scrambler" and ran 80/20 tires with no problems. Several folks here have switched out handlebars and done extensive write-ups detailing the changes.
Previously owned a T100 and understand that bikes limitations, oly thing it has over the Honda is the panache associated with the Triumph name. Lots of luggage options available, I prefer soft luggage and know of at least a half dozen vendors, among the ones I like is RKA - good quality American made. Also lots of threads here by folks who have already done the luggage research and mounting. I did go the Corbin route, 8 hour days no problem after breaking in seat and butt.

Honda builds a solid inexpensive bike, give it a test ride. Not sexy but built for the long haul.
 
Back
Top