Switching to synthetic oil...

Bike #12_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
For those of you running synthetic oil in your CB... How many miles did your bike have on it when you made the switch? Thank you.
 
I did it on my second oil change. By that I did my 600 mile at 700...just happened that way...and then my second oil change at 2000 miles. That is when I switched to synthetic oil.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the replies. Right at 100F around here this week. Stopped by the local shop to pick up a new oil filter. Asked about running 10W/40 weight oil in my CB. Guy at the counter said it was fine. Mentioned reason Honda changed to 10W/30 back in 2007 or so was for emissions. Just a FYI, the owners manual for my previous bike (BMW) cautioned against using synthetic oil during the first 6000 miles of use. Once I did change to synthetic, the transmission was A LOT smoother when shifting.
 
Bike #12_imp said:
Thanks for the replies. Right at 100F around here this week. Stopped by the local shop to pick up a new oil filter. Asked about running 10W/40 weight oil in my CB. Guy at the counter said it was fine. Mentioned reason Honda changed to 10W/30 back in 2007 or so was for emissions. Just a FYI, the owners manual for my previous bike (BMW) cautioned against using synthetic oil during the first 6000 miles of use. Once I did change to synthetic, the transmission was A LOT smoother when shifting.
The factory service manual states that 10W-40 is fine for warm weather.
 
I don't switch until two full oil changes with the dino juice, so at about 6,000 miles. I want the engine good and broken-in before I switch. I feel at < 1000 miles the engine still has some breaking in to do. After that, it's just me being me.
 
A myth about not changing to full synthetic before a certain mileage for break-in. Most European imports Audi, VW etc. ship with full synthetic as do Hi Performance cars Vette etc. Tolerances are so tight on these new engines most of your break=in is within the first 100 miles. Ride it hard early to seat everything with standard oil drop it and change to synthetic. I last changed my oil at 2200 I'm currently at 5400 and have not added a drop of oil.

Guess I'm do for a change.

Edit: A buddy of mine trailers his track bikes (CBR1000RR) from the dealer straight to the Dyno. The first 3 or 4 pulls it blows blue smoke like crazy changes to white after 10 pulls as well as HP gains of about 5% He drops the oil to full synthetic and he's good to go for his 1st track day.
 
Sure love an oil thread. Is there a reason why one *wouldn't* switch to synthetic? Price isn't really a factor if you're changing less often. For the record I'm still on conventional oil, but the only oil change my bike has gotten so far is the 600 miler.
 
Gotta love these oil threads.

I have oil changes at 600 and 2,000 with regular oil behind me. I have about 3,000 miles on my bike now. Planning my next oil change at 4,000 miles and I have some Castrol Activo X-tra 4T 10w-30 synthetic blend all ready to go. What is the best oil change interval for synthetic blend? Same question for full synthetic?
 
Pauley_imp said:
Gotta love these oil threads.

I have oil changes at 600 and 2,000 with regular oil behind me. I have about 3,000 miles on my bike now. Planning my next oil change at 4,000 miles and I have some Castrol Activo X-tra 4T 10w-30 synthetic blend all ready to go. What is the best oil change interval for synthetic blend? Same question for full synthetic?
I go 3000
 
With my old 1980 Yamaha XS850 it did not like synthetic. The clutch would slip like crazy when running synthetic and once I went back to conventional all was fine again.

So why would one not run synthetic, there is a good reason there.

But then again, not all bikes are created the same and even though they have the same model number and are made the same they are all unique.
 
Not sure I want to participate in this but here goes..

Why would one NOT run synthetic?

Well,

Have never used synthetic..don't see where it is an advantage

Change oil at 4000 mile service intervals on all my vehicles ( exception..put fresh oil in my ST before going to Cali, changed it when I got back 5424 miles)

Always use a new oil filter even though Honda says I can skip every other oil change

Have never had an engine failure for oil related reasons or any other reasons for that matter.. I've never had an engine failure for any reason

Have only read of one or two instances where riders actually stretched their changing habits when changing to synthetic ie: going 8-10,000 miles between changes. Most still change at 3-4000 miles ... Anyone here run their synthetic 8,000 miles?
 
It really does't matter what oil you use as long as it is for your bike. there was a test done on 2 cabs in new york, one on cheep oil and one on syn. both changed there oil at same milage over 200,000 miles. both engines were then torn down and compare for wear, they found no extra wear in the one running the cheep oil. bottom line, change oil and filter at 4,ooo miles or less to get max. life out of your engine.
 
This is kinda disappointing for an oil thread. Here is the way it's done 1)Oil and filter at 600 mile service, dino oil as specified. 2)Change again at 1200 miles, new filter and 5-80 wt synthetic snake oil. 3)Change oil and/or filter whenever (50 to 50,000 miles). 4) If oil level needs to be topped up add only small snakes, big ones can cause overfill. So folks there you have it in a nutshell-whats that-this nut should crawl back in his shell. OK, but before I do, Have a great 4th of July and ride extra safe. Have fun.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Not sure I want to participate in this but here goes..

Why would one NOT run synthetic?

Well,

Have never used synthetic..don't see where it is an advantage

Change oil at 4000 mile service intervals on all my vehicles ( exception..put fresh oil in my ST before going to Cali, changed it when I got back 5424 miles)

Always use a new oil filter even though Honda says I can skip every other oil change

Have never had an engine failure for oil related reasons or any other reasons for that matter.. I've never had an engine failure for any reason

Have only read of one or two instances where riders actually stretched their changing habits when changing to synthetic ie: going 8-10,000 miles between changes. Most still change at 3-4000 miles ... Anyone here run their synthetic 8,000 miles?
You can run synthetic longer in car ,truck etc do to the fact it does not run through other parts of the motor therefore does not get dirty and contaminated at 3000mi.

Synthetics run cleaner and leave less deposits than dino that's why you should not run them in vehicle's with high mileage that have never run synthetic. The tend to clean deposit and seals than can cause seal breakdown. The oil is thinner when hot and gets into area dino doesn't.

Also the longer you stretch out the number 15-40 10-40 the more insert ingredients are added to get that number higher to make the oil thicker. All 10W's start with straight 10W oil. The larger the span between ### the more crap is added to the oil.

Edit: Also synthetic will attach and bond better to transmission gears causing less wear. Did you ever try that spin wheel in the auto parts store that show synthetic to dino, how much longer the residual bonds not to mention cold start ups.

Don't take my word for it, do a internet search to confirm the above.
 
Back
Top