Swapping Fuel Tanks

griffbl_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Gents (and Ladies!)

I am in the market for a CB1100 Deluxe, as I am not an experienced street rider, and I do want ABS. I prefer the look of the smaller fuel tank, and the 4 into one exhaust, (or aftermarket 4 into 1 setup) however, particularly in Black. I want to confirm that swapping tanks and side covers is a bolt on proposition without any alterations required to the frame, etc. Many Thanks!
 
griffbl, first, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, the DLX was sold in the US only in 2014 and comes standard in red with the 4 into 2 exhaust. You may be better to try to find a rarer second hand 2013 ABS model unless you want to have to replace the exhaust system.

As far as I know tanks are interchangeable. The DLX had a slightly larger tank than the standard model, but a Canadian member swapped out the standard tank for a DLX tank with no problems.

Can't recall whether standard and DLX side covers are interchangeable, but someone here will know.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
griffbl, first, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, the DLX was sold in the US only in 2014 and comes standard in red with the 4 into 2 exhaust. You may be better to try to find a rarer second hand 2013 ABS model unless you want to have to replace the exhaust system.

As far as I know tanks are interchangeable. The DLX had a slightly larger tank than the standard model, but a Canadian member swapped out the standard tank for a DLX tank with no problems.

Can't recall whether standard and DLX side covers are interchangeable, but someone here will know.
Thanks so very much for the info!
Thanks so very much for the info! I think I have to stick with a later than 2013 model as I do want a 6 speed.....but thanks!
 
You're welcome.

Buy a 2017 EX, buy a new black tank and aftermarket side covers and then replace the exhaust system. If, that is, you can find a 4 into 2 for a 2017.
 
Sure. Beautiful bike.

By the way, I meant 4 into 1 in previous post. Although, I don’t understand why you’d lose the symmetry of that beautiful 4 into 2.
 
He (or maybe she; who can tell on the inter webs) really wants ABS.
 
Seems he wants a black 4-1 standard tank, but with ABS.

Call me a curmudgeon, blame my old school dirtbike roots and driving cars skillfully past tire traction at high speeds in turns on purpose with intent to slide-

If you rely on gizmo to keep you safe then you are less safe because YOU don't know what to do, or how the vehicle will react and respond to input.
 
DBM_imp said:
Opps. My bad. Looks like ABS to a newbee

And to a lot of unknowing Honda motorcycle salesmen.
 
Bikes with ABS flash the ABS light when powering up.
Very annoying on my Moto Guzzi V7II, as it also had a traction control light.
ABS did not activate for the 7,000 miles I had it.
And who needs traction control with only 744cc, 48 HP @ 6,500 RPM and 40 ft # @ 3,000 RPM?

As for ABS, some like the potential security. My first ABS vehicle was a 4WD in Flagstaff, AZ, circa 1995. Liked having it on ice.

OTOH I rode my first new bike (67 CB160) on ice in a New Jersey winter (4K miles in 3 months) with only one mishap: Throttle cable froze, no kill switch, key under tank on an icy road at O dark thirty, avoiding a base alert. Went down, scratched the front fender and pushed snow under the face shield.

I locked up the rear on my first bike, circa 1963 and it cost me a somewhat serious spinal injury. OTOH, if I had not slid and laid it down, I might have decapitated myself on an 18 wheeler flat bed who turned left in front of me, with only 4 weeks of M/C experience. So, bouncing off a tire was not so bad.

The CB would take a lot of pedal pressure to lockup on a dry road. I tried it before getting new tires. It does it easy on gravel at low speeds.

Keep in mind that ABS does not prevent tire wash out while turning and applying brakes.

Just my 3 cents
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
He (or maybe she; who can tell on the inter webs) really wants ABS.
Indeed! I do want ABS, 6 speed, and preferably, the more modern wheels....that pretty much equals a 2014 CB1100 Deluxe, and then I can choose to change the pipes or color (i.e. tank) if I so choose. Many thanks for all the input!
 
Back
Top