Suzuki sv650 days numbered?

Bheezy27403_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I read an article the other day that Suzuki has submitted a patent for a 650 parallel twin. Could be the end of the "V" set up they have been cranking out for years.

Sorry no link. Couldn't find the article with my new phone as it was on my old. I'm sure a search would bring it up.
 
I hope not. That was a great motor. If anything they should bump the displacement and bring it out as an 800 or 900
 
That would be a shame, from Suzuki's identity and history standpoint. Both the 650 and 1000 v-twins have been wonderful engines, but from a manufacturing and packaging standpoint, the 270 degree parallel twins have all the advantages and no real drawbacks.

Suzuki's v-twins have been around for 21 years largely unchanged, a long time in Japanese design terms. Their GSXR/Bandit air-oil cooled fours went 21 years. But their all-time champ was the LS650 Savage/S40/Boulevard, which went from 1986 to 2019 - an astounding 33 consecutive years, outliving the Honda Rebel CMX250 by 3 years. Nothing compared to little Honda singles though.
 
I dunno... I thought I read a moto blog somewhere a few days ago about Suzuki leaking a new SV650. That made me happy, I'd hate to see it go away too.
 
I just assumed the Suzuki would be a 270-degree like Yamaha 700s, rather than the 180-degree Kawasaki 650s and Honda 500s. That configuration may become the new UJM configuration. Only the NC700/750X is radically different.

Don't know if I'll ever get used to the purely functional style, compared to the traditional style of the Triumph and Royal Enfield twins.
 
Yamaha 270 degree parallel twin sound much much more nicer than Kawasaki/Honda 180 degree sewing machine sound. If Suzuki really going the pallelel twin route, hope they go the fancy sound route..
 
Count me amongst those who would find it to be a shame should Suzuki actually ditch that V-twin appearing in the SV650.
 
zirconxi_imp said:
Yamaha 270 degree parallel twin sound much much more nicer than Kawasaki/Honda 180 degree sewing machine sound. If Suzuki really going the pallelel twin route, hope they go the fancy sound route..
I agree, The sound of a 180-degree twin always sounded cheap compared to a 360-degree, and to a 270-degree.
Guth_imp said:
Count me amongst those who would find it to be a shame should Suzuki actually ditch that V-twin appearing in the SV650.
I've had an SV650 and on my 3rd WeeStrom now, and really like loved that engine. But I always hated how you couldn't see it as a v-twin, with the rear cylinder hidden. Especially the 1st Gen SV650 - It looked like a big single. If they had a trellis frame that would show the engine ala Ducati, I think it could have a second life. As it was, there was no indication it wasn't a big single. I love my V-Strom, but it isn't an attractive bike.

 
I'd hate to see the SV replaced with a vertical twin, but time marches on.

I owned two first-gen SV650's (a standard and an S model). Really nice, lusty bikes that could do anything you asked of them. My SO completed two IBA SS1000's on the S model. I'd still own it if it had fuel injection to better cope with the elevations here.
 
I too will always love the SV650, as it was my first bike. A great-riding machine, and with an aftermarket pipe, they really sound amazing.....by far the best-sounding motorcycle I've owned.

I've always wondered....does a V-twin offer ANY advantages over a 270-degree parallel twin? I suppose it can be a bit narrower, but literally everything else seems to favor the inline motor. I do remember replacing the rear plug on the SV being a particularly annoying job.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
I too will always love the SV650, as it was my first bike. A great-riding machine, and with an aftermarket pipe, they really sound amazing.....by far the best-sounding motorcycle I've owned.

I've always wondered....does a V-twin offer ANY advantages over a 270-degree parallel twin? I suppose it can be a bit narrower, but literally everything else seems to favor the inline motor. I do remember replacing the rear plug on the SV being a particularly annoying job.
Ask Ducati and Harley Davidson. It seems like they are married to the V-twin concept historically. In Ducati's case, with a narrower engine, there is less frontal area and drag.

A vertical twin has its connecting rods far apart largely determined by the piston bores and location of cam chain. This causes a "rocking couple" vibration. So all the newer vertical twins have counterbalancers, which means a little larger crankcase add a little more weight.

But that's still less than a second cylinder head, etc. And only the Triumph and Royal Enfield twins have the cam drive between the cylinders. And the location of the intakes would be more compact, and allow for a bigger airbox and bigger gas tank.

A v-twin can allow the connecting rods to be side by side (or forked in HD's case), so the vibrations from the "rocking couple" are minimized. Now with 270 degree crankpins and counterbalancers, I can't see any real advantages of the v-twin.
 
Great insight Peking, thanks. I never thought about the rod spacing and the vibration issues you mentioned.

There are some very bright and knowledgeable people on this forum!
 
We take for granted the huge improvements from balancer shafts. Back in the '70s and '80s we had XS650s and Triumphs and BSAs that shook badly. Now we have balancer shafts down to 250cc bikes. and in most 4-cyl cars. Open the hood of a Civic or Corolla and you can't tell the engine is running by looking except for the belt.
 
Hmmm

This parallel twin could be the successor to the Suzuki SV650
My $ is on a xcross between the WeeStrom and Dr650...

The adv market has gotten too big, displacement wise and too costly.. KTM 790, Yamaha Tenere t7 (awesome) gs800/50 all the way up and over 1000cc .. All great for the occasional dirt road, but pricey as your looking at throwing around 10k+ of bike on anything rougher.. it’s why I didn’t off-road my ktm990adv

The All purpose dirt touring kLR is gone... So if Suzuki has a smaller compact parallel twin and parts bins the rest, so you can do both off-road and highway without a big tag.. it’ll fill the niche left by the Klr and offer more

The new strom made a point of saying it was inspired by the DR Big of old, but never actually called it the Dr Big

I think we’re gonna get a DR Big.. The orig sv was a hoot (I had one, along side a hawk gt). It was bang for your buck one of the best out there.. I think Suzuki is gonna try and do it again for the adv crowd
 
I used to have a 2002 sv650 which really helped me getting comfortable in riding and understanding the twistes / lines etc with safety and the right amount of punch and power without killing myself and I did own the Ninja 650 twin a few years later which was great but the v-twin on the SV was a bit more fantastic


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
All counter balancers do is get rid of the " charachter". Bwahahaha
 
Back
Top