Suspension

woodsparrow_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I did a couple of quick and dirty searches here without finding what I really wanted, but that probably means I just suck at keywords.

I've got a stock suspension and would like to swap the springs/shocks for something a bit nicer, but not bank-breaking. What do people generally like?

I assume progressives are the best choice, like most bikes?
 
If you type Ikon in the search a whole bunch of suspension threads come up. With more than just Ikons.

That will get you started. The board is a tad slow this time of year so I'm just hoping this will help you until the guys chime in.
 
For my size, weight and riding style, the Honda factory suspension works well for me, but three years ago I fitted progressive fork springs and Ikon shocks to my Bonneville and it made a big difference in the ride and handling.
I thought the Triumph factory suspension was fine all those years, but was urged by others to upgrade.
It wasn't cheap, but very worthwhile as it turned out.
 
Ikon shocks indeed make a great difference in the ride quality. No more back end bouncing up and down. When I looked last, Progressive didn't seem to offer any simple spring replacement for the forks.
 
Here is one thread on fork springs: Race Tech Fork Springs

In post 3 Tink's link shows pics of him doing the swapout.
 
I just installed the Traxion Dynamics damper rod kit, springs dampener rod and gold valve $300 in the front
and progressive 490 rears that fit the Bonnevilles
I will give a ride report as soon as its warm enough
I assume it will be great as I have used these products in the past
 
Hi guys, I'm new here (hello) and trying to gather suspension information. There's a lot of good stuff on here but I do have a couple of specific questions.
Can anyone tell me what the length of the 2013 shocks on my bike are compared to the 2014. I think in some bike reviews it appeared as though the 14+ shocks were an inch longer than 2013?
I need to buy some shocks with lighter springs (I'm 160 lbs) and better damping. My bike really crushes me on bumps unless I have a passenger. Turning the preload (sag) helps a little but not nearly enough.
I'd like to go longer as well if it won't mess up the steering geometry and handling. On that note if the rear shocks are longer on the 2014 are the from forks longer too? I think they just have stiffer springs up front?
Thanks for your help,
Chris
 
The service manual does not list shock dimensions, but the parts fiche shows different part numbers for the '13 and '14 standard.

For fork springs, the same part number is shown for both '13 and '14. The spring free length in the service manual is 355.5mm (13.21 in.)

The DLX has a different setup.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The service manual does not list shock dimensions, but the parts fiche shows different part numbers for the '13 and '14 standard.

For fork springs, the same part number is shown for both '13 and '14. The spring free length in the service manual is 355.5mm (13.21 in.)

The DLX has a different setup.
Thanks, further investigation on shock lengths is required but i gathered some good intel here last night.

Chris
Thanks, further investigation on shock lengths is required but i gathered some good intel here last night.

Chris
OEM 355mm as you mentioned from manual may make sense as the Ohlins and others I've seen are in the 360mm range. I didn't know what that was referring to but you think spring length? I was assuming overall length but don't even have a metric ruler.
Chris
 
I would think so, but there are guys on here that have changed theirs and know a lot more than me about it. Also, metric to inch converters are all over the internet. Just Google it.

Here is a how to by Tink, but is for the DLX. Might be fun to look at though. How to Install Fork Springs

Edit: I think I already posted that link, in this thread no less. Sorry.
 
You can measure in inches and convert to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I would think so, but there are guys on here that have changed theirs and know a lot more than me about it. Also, metric to inch converters are all over the internet. Just Google it.

Here is a how to by Tink, but is for the DLX. Might be fun to look at though. How to Install Fork Springs

Edit: I think I already posted that link, in this thread no less. Sorry.
Yes, thanks again though for the thread link. I did look over TINKS thread there.
Still trying to determine what the DLX shock length is vs standard. Assuming its a little longer for the additional weight? I think I've read hundreds of little posts and threads and have learned a lot and the next step is to pick up the phone and call a suspension guy, pick his brain, and order some shocks...
70 degrees today and 60's all week here in South central PA so I will get out and do some more 'testing" of the OEM units.
kennyw_imp said:
You can measure in inches and convert to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4.
Thanks Kenny, that sounds like something smart people do, but I will try to figure it out...
:huh::idea::thumbsup:
 
Basically, if your tape measure reads 14-1/2", multiply 14.5 * 25.4 = 368.3.

If that doesn't work for you, this:

Google
 
hondamatic_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I would think so, but there are guys on here that have changed theirs and know a lot more than me about it. Also, metric to inch converters are all over the internet. Just Google it.

Here is a how to by Tink, but is for the DLX. Might be fun to look at though. How to Install Fork Springs

Edit: I think I already posted that link, in this thread no less. Sorry.
Yes, thanks again though for the thread link. I did look over TINKS thread there.
Still trying to determine what the DLX shock length is vs standard. Assuming its a little longer for the additional weight? I think I've read hundreds of little posts and threads and have learned a lot and the next step is to pick up the phone and call a suspension guy, pick his brain, and order some shocks...
70 degrees today and 60's all week here in South central PA so I will get out and do some more 'testing" of the OEM units.
kennyw_imp said:
You can measure in inches and convert to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4.
Thanks Kenny, that sounds like something smart people do, but I will try to figure it out...
:huh::idea::thumbsup:
Yes, thanks again though for the thread link. I did look over TINKS thread there.
Still trying to determine what the DLX shock length is vs standard. Assuming its a little longer for the additional weight? I think I've read hundreds of little posts and threads and have learned a lot and the next step is to pick up the phone and call a suspension guy, pick his brain, and order some shocks...
70 degrees today and 60's all week here in South central PA so I will get out and do some more 'testing" of the OEM units.
kennyw_imp said:
You can measure in inches and convert to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4.
Thanks Kenny, that sounds like something smart people do, but I will try to figure it out...
:huh::idea::thumbsup:
There is no difference in the length and spring rate between the 2014 Std and Dlx, The only difference is that the Std has black springs and the Dlx are chrome.
 
TINK_imp said:
hondamatic_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I would think so, but there are guys on here that have changed theirs and know a lot more than me about it. Also, metric to inch converters are all over the internet. Just Google it.

Here is a how to by Tink, but is for the DLX. Might be fun to look at though. How to Install Fork Springs

Edit: I think I already posted that link, in this thread no less. Sorry.
Yes, thanks again though for the thread link. I did look over TINKS thread there.
Still trying to determine what the DLX shock length is vs standard. Assuming its a little longer for the additional weight? I think I've read hundreds of little posts and threads and have learned a lot and the next step is to pick up the phone and call a suspension guy, pick his brain, and order some shocks...
70 degrees today and 60's all week here in South central PA so I will get out and do some more 'testing" of the OEM units.
kennyw_imp said:
You can measure in inches and convert to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4.
Thanks Kenny, that sounds like something smart people do, but I will try to figure it out...
:huh::idea::thumbsup:
Yes, thanks again though for the thread link. I did look over TINKS thread there.
Still trying to determine what the DLX shock length is vs standard. Assuming its a little longer for the additional weight? I think I've read hundreds of little posts and threads and have learned a lot and the next step is to pick up the phone and call a suspension guy, pick his brain, and order some shocks...
70 degrees today and 60's all week here in South central PA so I will get out and do some more 'testing" of the OEM units.
kennyw_imp said:
You can measure in inches and convert to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4.
Thanks Kenny, that sounds like something smart people do, but I will try to figure it out...
:huh::idea::thumbsup:
There is no difference in the length and spring rate between the 2014 Std and Dlx, The only difference is that the Std has black springs and the Dlx are chrome.
Yes, thanks again though for the thread link. I did look over TINKS thread there.
Still trying to determine what the DLX shock length is vs standard. Assuming its a little longer for the additional weight? I think I've read hundreds of little posts and threads and have learned a lot and the next step is to pick up the phone and call a suspension guy, pick his brain, and order some shocks...
70 degrees today and 60's all week here in South central PA so I will get out and do some more 'testing" of the OEM units.
kennyw_imp said:
You can measure in inches and convert to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4.
Thanks Kenny, that sounds like something smart people do, but I will try to figure it out...
:huh::idea::thumbsup:
There is no difference in the length and spring rate between the 2014 Std and Dlx, The only difference is that the Std has black springs and the Dlx are chrome.
Just looked at my DLX spring and they are grey in color, not chrome. Is this not correct??
 
Team, did you buy new? You might have aftermarket shocks. Can you post up a picture?
 
kennyw_imp said:
Basically, if your tape measure reads 14-1/2", multiply 14.5 * 25.4 = 368.3.

If that doesn't work for you, this:

Google
Thanks Kenny, That seems easy enough!
TINK_imp said:
hondamatic_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I would think so, but there are guys on here that have changed theirs and know a lot more than me about it. Also, metric to inch converters are all over the internet. Just Google it.

Here is a how to by Tink, but is for the DLX. Might be fun to look at though. How to Install Fork Springs

Edit: I think I already posted that link, in this thread no less. Sorry.
Yes, thanks again though for the thread link. I did look over TINKS thread there.
Still trying to determine what the DLX shock length is vs standard. Assuming its a little longer for the additional weight? I think I've read hundreds of little posts and threads and have learned a lot and the next step is to pick up the phone and call a suspension guy, pick his brain, and order some shocks...
70 degrees today and 60's all week here in South central PA so I will get out and do some more 'testing" of the OEM units.
kennyw_imp said:
You can measure in inches and convert to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4.
Thanks Kenny, that sounds like something smart people do, but I will try to figure it out...
:huh::idea::thumbsup:
Yes, thanks again though for the thread link. I did look over TINKS thread there.
Still trying to determine what the DLX shock length is vs standard. Assuming its a little longer for the additional weight? I think I've read hundreds of little posts and threads and have learned a lot and the next step is to pick up the phone and call a suspension guy, pick his brain, and order some shocks...
70 degrees today and 60's all week here in South central PA so I will get out and do some more 'testing" of the OEM units.
kennyw_imp said:
You can measure in inches and convert to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4.
Thanks Kenny, that sounds like something smart people do, but I will try to figure it out...
:huh::idea::thumbsup:
There is no difference in the length and spring rate between the 2014 Std and Dlx, The only difference is that the Std has black springs and the Dlx are chrome.
Yes, thanks again though for the thread link. I did look over TINKS thread there.
Still trying to determine what the DLX shock length is vs standard. Assuming its a little longer for the additional weight? I think I've read hundreds of little posts and threads and have learned a lot and the next step is to pick up the phone and call a suspension guy, pick his brain, and order some shocks...
70 degrees today and 60's all week here in South central PA so I will get out and do some more 'testing" of the OEM units.
kennyw_imp said:
You can measure in inches and convert to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4.
Thanks Kenny, that sounds like something smart people do, but I will try to figure it out...
:huh::idea::thumbsup:
There is no difference in the length and spring rate between the 2014 Std and Dlx, The only difference is that the Std has black springs and the Dlx are chrome.
Great, good to know. Will make it easier when ordering. I gather that with Ohlins I need the HO 011 for chrome springs, non piggy back. Also I gather that for my weight (165lbs) I need a spring rate of 01 (vs 03 riders around 200lbs or so.) This just from reading through tons of posts and I will confirm with an Ohlins guy as soon as my Paypal account has $950 in it, which will be soon as I just sold some parts....
I think they are around 360+ mm in length.
Don't quote me on this stuff until I confirm. Any input appreciated.
Chris
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Team, did you buy new? You might have aftermarket shocks. Can you post up a picture?
Bought new, everything on bike as delivered. Color of spring is really metallic silver, not grey. Will try and post pic.
 
Teamwalker_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Team, did you buy new? You might have aftermarket shocks. Can you post up a picture?
Bought new, everything on bike as delivered. Color of spring is really metallic silver, not grey. Will try and post pic.
Bought new, everything on bike as delivered. Color of spring is really metallic silver, not grey. Will try and post pic.

Ok, so the spring itself is silver paint. I stand corrected.

 
Back
Top