Superbrace fork brace

Flynrider_imp said:
I really like those fork protectors. When I looked on the Superbrace website, it seems that they only offer models without fork protectors for the CB11. Is this something new?
Don't know. I ordered these over the phone. The guy who answered the phone asked if I wanted the protectors. I cant say no to anything :clap:
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I really like those fork protectors. When I looked on the Superbrace website, it seems that they only offer models without fork protectors for the CB11. Is this something new?
You should be able to get the fork protectors with each purchase of a Superbrace CB1100 fork brace. Again, I'm the guy that got his brace complements of Superbrace, as the company needed to test fit an initial production run unit to an actual CB1100. As you can see, there are no protectors mounted in the photos of me outside the company's facility in Huntington Beach...at the time, I simply didn't like the way the protectors looked. However, while the technician was mounting, he asked if I wanted the protectors mounted...I said "no...but give them to me and I'll keep them with all my other parts." I installed the protectors after one ride, because some more experienced riders all advised to just install them...that if they ever suceeded in protecting the fork, it would be well worth it in the long run. In my book, function gets equal consideration as form, so I installed the protectors myself within 24 hours of getting the brace installed. BTW, I still give this product two thumbs up...and I don't understand why Honda wouldn't install this on the stock bike.
 
Hey xpac, did you mount your fork protectors like I did? With the angled (shorter) part inside the forks rather than outside? I see on the Superbrace website in the photo gallery, people mount them both ways. I did mine this way to get a little more curve on the outside of the forks rather than inside,,,,,,
 
xpacpal1x_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I really like those fork protectors. When I looked on the Superbrace website, it seems that they only offer models without fork protectors for the CB11. Is this something new?
You should be able to get the fork protectors with each purchase of a Superbrace CB1100 fork brace. Again, I'm the guy that got his brace complements of Superbrace, as the company needed to test fit an initial production run unit to an actual CB1100. As you can see, there are no protectors mounted in the photos of me outside the company's facility in Huntington Beach...at the time, I simply didn't like the way the protectors looked. However, while the technician was mounting, he asked if I wanted the protectors mounted...I said "no...but give them to me and I'll keep them with all my other parts." I installed the protectors after one ride, because some more experienced riders all advised to just install them...that if they ever suceeded in protecting the fork, it would be well worth it in the long run. In my book, function gets equal consideration as form, so I installed the protectors myself within 24 hours of getting the brace installed. BTW, I still give this product two thumbs up...and I don't understand why Honda wouldn't install this on the stock bike.
I'm new to motorcycling. I don't understand exactly what the function of those little protectors is. Do they only block road debris from hitting your fork or do they serve some other function?

Glad to hear everyone whose mounted their braces is really enjoying them. It sounds like it was worth the wait. I have gaiters on my bike so a fork brace won't fit.
 
Joola, they are there to prevent rocks and debris from hitting and scratching or denting the fork tubes in the area where the fork compress into the seals. If a fork tube gets damaged there the fork seal can leak. Your gaiters perform the same function
 
The ferret_imp said:
Joola, they are there to prevent rocks and debris from hitting and scratching or denting the fork tubes in the area where the fork compress into the seals. If a fork tube gets damaged there the fork seal can leak. Your gaiters perform the same function
Thanks ferret!
 
In some parts of the county (most) dried bugs on the fork tube wreck more havoc with fork seals than stones.
 
Joola_imp said:
xpacpal1x_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I really like those fork protectors. When I looked on the Superbrace website, it seems that they only offer models without fork protectors for the CB11. Is this something new?
You should be able to get the fork protectors with each purchase of a Superbrace CB1100 fork brace. Again, I'm the guy that got his brace complements of Superbrace, as the company needed to test fit an initial production run unit to an actual CB1100. As you can see, there are no protectors mounted in the photos of me outside the company's facility in Huntington Beach...at the time, I simply didn't like the way the protectors looked. However, while the technician was mounting, he asked if I wanted the protectors mounted...I said "no...but give them to me and I'll keep them with all my other parts." I installed the protectors after one ride, because some more experienced riders all advised to just install them...that if they ever suceeded in protecting the fork, it would be well worth it in the long run. In my book, function gets equal consideration as form, so I installed the protectors myself within 24 hours of getting the brace installed. BTW, I still give this product two thumbs up...and I don't understand why Honda wouldn't install this on the stock bike.
I'm new to motorcycling. I don't understand exactly what the function of those little protectors is. Do they only block road debris from hitting your fork or do they serve some other function?

Glad to hear everyone whose mounted their braces is really enjoying them. It sounds like it was worth the wait. I have gaiters on my bike so a fork brace won't fit.
I was under the impression that the brace could be used even with the fork gaiters. Perhaps it's just the fork protectors that won't work with the gaiters? :huh:
 
This video show's them installing the Superbrace on a W650 with gaiters. Though I admit I don't know if the fit of the gaiters on the W650 compares to the fitment of aftermarket gaiters on the CB1100.


 
Damfino_imp said:
This video show's them installing the Superbrace on a W650 with gaiters. Though I admit I don't know if the fit of the gaiters on the W650 compares to the fitment of aftermarket gaiters on the CB1100.


Good find. That suberbrace has an extension of the top of each side that allows you to resecure the gaiters. The current CB1100 brace doesn't have those extensions so there's nothing for the gaiters to grip onto after you install the brace. I wonder if they do a run of braces w/extensions for those of us with gaiters.
 
Joola_imp said:
Damfino_imp said:
This video show's them installing the Superbrace on a W650 with gaiters. Though I admit I don't know if the fit of the gaiters on the W650 compares to the fitment of aftermarket gaiters on the CB1100.


Good find. That suberbrace has an extension of the top of each side that allows you to resecure the gaiters. The current CB1100 brace doesn't have those extensions so there's nothing for the gaiters to grip onto after you install the brace. I wonder if they do a run of braces w/extensions for those of us with gaiters.
Good find. That suberbrace has an extension of the top of each side that allows you to resecure the gaiters. The current CB1100 brace doesn't have those extensions so there's nothing for the gaiters to grip onto after you install the brace. I wonder if they do a run of braces w/extensions for those of us with gaiters.
I see, interesting!
 
since the w650/w800 comes from the factory with gaiters Superbrace had to make provisions for them. Doubt they will be doing the same for the CB 1100. I was impressed with the clearance over the fender on the Kawi fork brace. The CB 1100s appears to be right on top of almost touching the front fender. That's how it was on my Nighthawk as well.
 
The ferret_imp said:
since the w650/w800 comes from the factory with gaiters Superbrace had to make provisions for them. Doubt they will be doing the same for the CB 1100. I was impressed with the clearance over the fender on the Kawi fork brace. The CB 1100s appears to be right on top of almost touching the front fender. That's how it was on my Nighthawk as well.
I just shot them an email and asked if they have any plans to make an alternate version since many of us have installed aftermarket gaiters. I'll update everyone when I hear back.
 
They offer the protector ears; which kinda negates the need for gaiters (gaiter look cooler though, but the metal ears are more robust).
 
Back
Top